Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Neighbors and The AITA thread.

Spaceman Spiff

They say good fences make good neighbors.  And I figured we'd need a thread like this.  For good neighbors AND bad neighbors and neighbors you don't understand.  And the ES Tailgate community can figure out if you're the asshole or not.  

------------------- 

I live in an pretty nice neighborhood.  One of those sprawling neighborhoods with homes built in the 50s and 60s with a newer section of homes built in the 90s and early 2000s.  It's not a defined subdivision, planned cookie-cutter community or whatever.  There's one main road that connects it all, one end of it leads out to a main thoroughfare, the other side dead-ends into the local high school.  It's a nice community, the neighbors are friendly, the kids walk to the high school and for the most part it's pretty quiet.

Anyway, towards the other end, near the high school, there's a house that's had a dumpster out front, parked on the street like you'd parallel park a car for a number of months.  So many months, in fact, that I can't remember it NOT being there.  If we take the dog and the kid for a walk, we walk past it, and if I head out to do errands I drive past it.  It's one of those long dumpsters that you'd see on a construction site but there's no construction being done at all.  Admittedly, I've flung bags of dog poop in it on our walks.  I've also witnessed a few people drive down the street with cars full of garbage bags/trash and then drive back the other way with an empty car.  It's important to note that I've not actually SEEN these people empty their cars into the dumpster but I think it's a safe conclusion to draw.  Tempting as it's been, I haven't done that as I've made a few runs to the city dump this year.

Last week, the owner/renter of this dumpster posted a snarkily written note on all 4 sides of the dumpster explaining how this is a PRIVATE dumpster and "Oh, look, turn around and see that camera pointed at you on the second floor of the house?  Smile!  The police are watching."  

Well, whatever.  Fine, it's a private dumpster and, respecting their wishes, I've not thrown a bag of dog **** in there as I typically would if I happened to have one handy.  It doesn't bother me that the people living there consider the dumpster private.  

What bothers me is a few things: least important of them is the snarky letter.  But the thing that REALLY bothers me is that it's been parked on the street for a long ass time when there's a perfectly good driveway attached to the house that doesn't have any cars parked in it.  Had they really felt so strongly about their precious private dumpster, they could have it parked there where the line of demarcation of considering it private would be a little bit more clear.  But no, it's been parked on a public street and it's quite frankly an eyesore.  And since it's parked on a public street, it's an open invitation for the public to dispose of things in their dumpster.  I don't think people would run into their driveway to dump trash.

But all of those things combined with the snarky, condescending letter is annoying.  I don't want to be "that neighbor" but I almost want to write a letter in response and post it on the dumpster explaining that they should put it in their driveway and off the street if they feel so strongly about it being private.  I know I'm not the only one who's tired of looking at it.   

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

You should call neighborhood preservation about the dumpster. I’m sure there are limits as to how long something like that can in in the street in a residential neighborhood. Also, feel free to put all the trash in it you like, the cops aren’t going to do ****. It’s a civil matter. 

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Like 2

Our "neighbors" at the end of the street are businesses (two car repair shops, a sketchy used car sales shop and a taco joint).  We have an ongoing thing now with them and their customers parking illegally on our street.  It's to the point now that we have the city manager and city council involved, parking restrictions are being tightened as is parking enforcement, but there are still issues.  For example people park at the intersection, past where the sign says "No Parking from Here to Corner"  which is dangerous when entering the street because you have to take a wider turn than normal and can't see if there's oncoming traffic, and it's dangerous when exiting the street because the cars are blocking your view if you're trying to pull out into the intersection.   I and several of my neighbors have routinely called the police/parking enforcement, especially on a couple of occasions where cars have parked blocking my driveway.  But the police don't do much other than shoo the cars away.  I never have seen them actually ticket anybody. 

One of the car repair business has a huge lot to park the cars they are working on, but still feel the need to put overflow onto the residential street.  I have also had to go over there late at night when the repair guys are working on their own cars and revving the engines loudly and/or playing loud music to let them know it's late (after 10 pm), they're loud, and it's a residential neighborhood.  They always tone it down after that, but it shouldn't be necessary.

I am tempted to get some of those stickers that say "You Are Parked Here Illegally" which you can apply to their windshields and are impossible to get off once applied.  I'm afraid though that someone with rage out or I'll end up in trouble with the police.  I have yelled at some of the people who parked blocking my driveway when they return to get their car.

Edited by China
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

33 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It's not a defined subdivision, planned cookie-cutter community or whatever.

One of the major benefits of those defined subdivision, planned cookie-cutter communities is that, usually, people can't keep a ****ing dumpster in the road in front of their house. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

One of the major benefits of those defined subdivision, planned cookie-cutter communities is that, usually, people can't keep a ****ing dumpster in the road in front of their house. 

The dumpster is a big upgrade.  Most folks in Spiff’s hood just throw their garbage into the street like 16th century London.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

They say good fences make good neighbors.  And I figured we'd need a thread like this.  For good neighbors AND bad neighbors and neighbors you don't understand.  And the ES Tailgate community can figure out if you're the asshole or not.  

------------------- 

I live in an pretty nice neighborhood.  One of those sprawling neighborhoods with homes built in the 50s and 60s with a newer section of homes built in the 90s and early 2000s.  It's not a defined subdivision, planned cookie-cutter community or whatever.  There's one main road that connects it all, one end of it leads out to a main thoroughfare, the other side dead-ends into the local high school.  It's a nice community, the neighbors are friendly, the kids walk to the high school and for the most part it's pretty quiet.

Anyway, towards the other end, near the high school, there's a house that's had a dumpster out front, parked on the street like you'd parallel park a car for a number of months.  So many months, in fact, that I can't remember it NOT being there.  If we take the dog and the kid for a walk, we walk past it, and if I head out to do errands I drive past it.  It's one of those long dumpsters that you'd see on a construction site but there's no construction being done at all.  Admittedly, I've flung bags of dog poop in it on our walks.  I've also witnessed a few people drive down the street with cars full of garbage bags/trash and then drive back the other way with an empty car.  It's important to note that I've not actually SEEN these people empty their cars into the dumpster but I think it's a safe conclusion to draw.  Tempting as it's been, I haven't done that as I've made a few runs to the city dump this year.

Last week, the owner/renter of this dumpster posted a snarkily written note on all 4 sides of the dumpster explaining how this is a PRIVATE dumpster and "Oh, look, turn around and see that camera pointed at you on the second floor of the house?  Smile!  The police are watching."  

Well, whatever.  Fine, it's a private dumpster and, respecting their wishes, I've not thrown a bag of dog **** in there as I typically would if I happened to have one handy.  It doesn't bother me that the people living there consider the dumpster private.  

What bothers me is a few things: least important of them is the snarky letter.  But the thing that REALLY bothers me is that it's been parked on the street for a long ass time when there's a perfectly good driveway attached to the house that doesn't have any cars parked in it.  Had they really felt so strongly about their precious private dumpster, they could have it parked there where the line of demarcation of considering it private would be a little bit more clear.  But no, it's been parked on a public street and it's quite frankly an eyesore.  And since it's parked on a public street, it's an open invitation for the public to dispose of things in their dumpster.  I don't think people would run into their driveway to dump trash.

But all of those things combined with the snarky, condescending letter is annoying.  I don't want to be "that neighbor" but I almost want to write a letter in response and post it on the dumpster explaining that they should put it in their driveway and off the street if they feel so strongly about it being private.  I know I'm not the only one who's tired of looking at it.   

Have you looked into whether a permit has been obtained for that dumpster?  Many localities require a permit to keep a dumpster outside the perimeter of a private property.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, China said:

Our "neighbors" at the end of the street are businesses (two car repair shops, a sketchy used car sales shop and a taco joint). 

Tell me more about @TradeTheBeal!'s car lot of broken dreams and broken promises.

I wouldn't **** with any of their cars/personal property but I would do whatever I could to make it a **** for them to park in front of your house and block your driveway.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Tell me more about @TradeTheBeal!'s car lot.

I wouldn't **** with any of their cars/personal property but I would do whatever I could to make it a **** for them to park in front of your house and block your driveway.  

We now have cones that we place in front of our driveway so they can't block it.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Our neighbors across the street have had construction going on for 6 months now. They're adding to the back of their house, redoing the kitchen, and have run into sewage line and asbestos problems. Despite the noise and extra trucks it's been mostly fine.

My only gripe is the porta potty parked in their driveway for 6 months now.

It's...not..the...best...look...and the truck that services it comes at 6am (or earlier) 3x a week and makes the loudest and ****tiest (pun intended) noise.

Edited by The Evil Genius

This is so much less drama than expected... I think what annoys him is not the dog poop but others dumping bags of trash.  

Not sure about city regulations, and permits so its good to check local laws.  Could be no different than someone parking their car in front of their house.   

It's possible he already complained to the police and they said it should be clearly.marked as private... pretty trifling

True, but I don't want to live in Ashburn.  

Nobody wants to live in Ashburn. 

1 hour ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

The dumpster is a big upgrade.  Most folks in Spiff’s hood just throw their garbage into the street like 16th century London.

To be clear, I don't have a problem with a dumpster in theory.  My problem is that they don't use it as a dumpster pool like good neighbors.

Edited by PleaseBlitz

6 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Not sure about city regulations, and permits so its good to check local laws.  Could be no different than someone parking their car in front of their house.   

Even if it is legal to have a big ass dumpster plopped in front of your house - and I seriously question whether it is for that length of time -  it is still a ****ty thing to do to your neighborhood.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Bad neighbors are a fun subject.  My sister had this note left on her door.

“I have been watching you and there are things that disturb me.

Your character is not good.  I have seen moslem men come to your house.  I don’t know what goes on in there and have often thought about writing to you about this as this is a family friendly area with Christian values.”  

Naturally the note was not signed.  

If at some point in the future I am arrested for an act of violence, know that it’s because I found the **** that wrote this  note to my sister.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Destino said:

Your character is not good.  I have seen moslem men come to your house.  I don’t know what goes on in there and have often thought about writing to you about this as this is a family friendly area with Christian values.”  

Duh, she's converting them to Christianity. I don't think her neighbor is a real Christian or else she'd understand that.

Edited by balki1867
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Destino said:

If at some point in the future I am arrested for an act of violence, know that it’s because i found out who the ****er was that left this note on my sisters door.  

I'd just keep inviting muslim men to my house until I smoke them out, they're bound to make a misstep. 

10 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Nobody wants to live in Ashburn. 

To be clear, I don't have a problem with a dumpster in theory.  My problem is that they don't use it as a dumpster pool like good neighbors.

Pools have filtration systems and chlorine/salt. That there is a petri dish w/ herpes.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Destino said:

If at some point in the future I am arrested for an act of violence, know that it’s because I found the **** that wrote this  note to my sister.  

She should do a quick inventory of the neighbors and see if she spots an old, white, aggressively Christian person, anyone that wears clothing that is also the American flag, or anyone STILL displaying Donald Trump yard signs. 

4 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Pools have filtration systems and chlorine/salt. That there is a petri dish w/ herpes.

It's in Philadelphia, so they all already have herpes. 

• Haha 8

19 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

I'd just keep inviting muslim men to my house until I smoke them out, they're bound to make a misstep. 

Whoever this nut is, they have mistaken Indian and Hispanic friends for the “moslem” men that terrify them so completely.  I offered to go door to door and ask, just to get the neighbors talking and make whoever left this note feel a little bit less comfortable in their anonymity.  She declined.

16 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

She should do a quick inventory of the neighbors and see if she spots an old, white, aggressively Christian person, anyone that wears clothing that is also the American flag, or anyone STILL displaying Donald Trump yard signs. 

I actually did have a walk around looking for Donald Trump signs or bumper stickers.  No joy.

• Haha 2

Tell me more about @TradeTheBeal!'s car lot of broken dreams and broken promises.

Car dealers have feelings too!  Enough of these slanderous micro-aggressions, farm boy!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I live on 3 acres so neighbors are a bit different for me

with one we’ve basically become brothers. Hang out multiple times a week. Our families go on trips together. For his birthday I got him and his brother tickets to RATM (and me). For mine he bought me an electric guitar (fender stratacaster). We play golf all the time etc. 

the others are nice and we help each other out. 

ive got one that doesn’t take care of their house and it looks like **** and generally they’re pretty lazy. But whatever. The only time they talked to us they wanted to know if we’d seen their giant tortoise. Apparently it ran off while one of them fell asleep sunbathing. 

🤷‍♂️ 

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1