Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Neighbors and The AITA thread.

Spaceman Spiff

3 hours ago, LD0506 said:

Lives, back story, baggage.......... whatcha got?  😄

Life can be amusing but it sure can beat the livin **** outta you along the way

No I'm good.  Without it all, I wouldn't be where I am today.  And collectively, I'm pretty happy with who I am.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

• 3 weeks later...

Widow, 60, says her 'nightmare is over' after 'evil' neighbour sentenced for putting raw octopus through her letterbox and pelting house with eggs in row over shrine to her late husband

A grieving widow who was tormented by a nightmare neighbour in a row over a shrine to her late husband said her 'nightmare was over' after he was evicted.

Church volunteer Margaret Ilkovics, 71, was subjected to callous smears and vandalism, which included having a raw octopus shoved through her letter box and splattered cocoa powder thrown at her door, in a campaign by former social worker Anthony Kenyon.

The mother-of-three branded Kenyon 'evil' and she was driven to the point of suicide during the 'living hell' five-year harassment campaign against her in Salford, Greater Manchester.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We got about 2.5 inches of snow overnight in ALX.

I live in a townhouse community. 

My (42/M) neighbor and close friend "Ben" (40/M) works for the federal government and therefore had the day off from work, and doesn't have to make up the missed time.  He had a free day off. 

I have a real job and so put in a regular workday.  I knocked off at 4 and took my kids sledding.  Got home at 5:30pm.

Ben shoveled his driveway at like 10am, because he doesn't have **** else to do.  I just finished shoveling my driveway (it is currently 6:05pm) because of the above-mentioned work and children responsibilities.

Every molecule of the 2.5 inches of snow that was on my driveway is now on Ben's driveway.

AITA?

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

20 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Is this a question specifically about the snow, or in general?

Yes. 

16 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

You put the AH in LAHrry.... 

Did you know he was off or just assumed?  A lot of agencies now ask employees to take laptops home to telework when office is closed.  

I know he was off, and, also, are we taking my post seriously?

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2023 at 2:28 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

This here story I'm about to unfold is absolutely ridiculous.  And I don't really know what to do.

January of this year, I got invited by a buddy of mine (we'll call him Dave) to run a marathon in November (spoiler, your boy Spiff did pretty well and didn't walk or stop the entire time).  Dave lives on the opposite side of town from me and due to his work/family schedule we wouldn't be able to train together very often, maybe once a week.

Dave also lives in an absolutely massive subdivision, a planned community with single family homes and townhomes.  This subdivision actually has it's own message board and Dave made the mistake of making a post on that message board to see if anyone wanted to start a running club with him, or at the very least run with him a few times a week to train for his marathon.  

Well, Dave got a response within 10 minutes from a neighbor that lives around the corner from him, we'll call this guy Howard.  And Dave has now learned the lesson to not meet dorks off a message board (yes, I'm roasting ES a little bit).

Partway through the summer, Dave and I decided to meet up on a Friday morning for a long run before work hours, I think we were doing 12 or 13 miles.  Friday morning meetups were a staple for us during the training, that was the one morning where our schedules would align.  Anyway, the night before Dave texted me something like "So, we're gonna run with this guy tomorrow morning and whatever you do, don't give him your phone number, don't give him any of your social media, just don't give him anything, trust me."

I'm like, WTF?  What the hell did Dave get us into?

So we met up and this guy Howard is a little quirky, but overall pretty nice.  Not someone I'd want to hang out with but also not someone who was completely unbearable.  And he didn't ask me for my phone number or socials or whatever.  He also kept getting my name wrong, which was weird but whatever.  I learned that despite being quirky and awkward, he somehow has a wife and a baby.

Howard also couldn't keep up with us on the runs whenever we met up on a Friday.  He's a bigger guy and he told us that he lost over 100 pounds.  Sometimes we'd get a quick breakfast after running, and one day he offered to show me a picture of him from 100+ pounds ago.  I pretended to be surprised and congratulate him on his change, but quite honestly I couldn't see a difference. 

He's run 5 marathons while Dave and I were preparing for our first.  Nonetheless, it was weird because he kept asking us for advice and Dave and I were like "Shouldn't we be the ones asking you for advice?"  He couldn't keep up on runs with us, he'd start walking after 8 or 9 miles.  Dave and I wanted to get better and train hard so while we'd encourage him for a bit, we'd usually end up just leaving him behind.  He'd whine whenever we had to run a hill, and he just whined a lot overall.  There wasn't an ounce of toughness, a willingness to push through some pain and get better.  During the conversations whenever we ran with him, there was a bit of oversharing from him when it came to personal matters...like, an overall inability to understand what's appropriate to talk about with two guys that you don't know very well and are here to train for a marathon.

But as quirky and as soft as he is, Howard is a really nice guy.  Like, TOO nice.  One day after we'd left him behind, we came back to our cars to find that he'd left cold Gatorades on them for us, with a hand written note saying how great we were doing.  The Gatorades were nice and thoughtful, the notes were a bit weird and over the top.

Given the proximity of how close Howard and Dave live to each other, they'd run together 2-3 times a week and Dave would tell me anecdotes about what he was dealing with and I'd just laugh.  He'd tell me that Howard kept asking for my phone number so we could hang out but Dave wouldn't give it up.  He wanted my facebook, too (I don't have one) and I'm surprised he hasn't found me on Instagram yet.  Dave told him that if he wanted my phone number that he'd have to ask me for it and he never did.

Fast forward to the marathon that I ran with Dave in November, it went pretty well, better than either of us expected.  That night, we're with our wives and kids in the hotel suite eating dinner when Howard messages my wife on facebook to tell her to tell me to text him because he wanted to congratulate me on the accomplishment.  In a moment of weakness, I caved and texted him.  

And now I'm fully aware of what Dave's been dealing with since this past summer.

The text messages roll in at a frequency higher than any of my closest friends text me.  Howard wants to meet with me to talk about the intimacy issues that he's having with his wife since they had their child, he wants my advice (Spiff's advice:  "go talk to a therapist and talk to your wife").  He'll do that thing that I absolutely cannot ****ing stand that people do in conversations where they drop a hint about something and they want you to ask a question so they can talk about it, but I never give in so he'll just keep dropping hints until he can't take it anymore and then just tell me what's going on.  He's texted at length about his self confidence issues and his issues with the way his body looks.  Now of course there's also the requisite group chat with Dave, Howard and me and while we're chatting on there, Howard will also be texting me directly at the same time.

But as annoying as he can be, I keep coming back to the fact that he's SO NICE, which makes me feel bad about how annoyed I am.  He wanted us to go to dinner to celebrate our marathons (he ran his 6th solo about a month before Dave and I did) and kept telling us that "Santa has a present for you guys!" which, again, is ****ing WEIRD.  What grown man tells other grown men that Santa has presents for them?

But when we get there, Howard each gave us a picture frame to commemorate our first marathon, complete with the date and time which we ran our marathons engraved and inside the frame was a picture of each of us crossing the finish line.  He explained that his wife gave him one after he finished his first marathon and he's got it proudly displayed in his office.  Like, damn.  He didn't have to do that...just too nice.  He's talked to us about how much we've helped him and how thankful he is for the friendship.

At the same time, he'd asked me to lunch twice this week already and wants me to circle a date in December that Dave and I can come over to his house for drinks.  The text messages about wanting to improve his self confidence are a lot and it's just getting to be too, too much.   Repeated "I'm booked up" and "sorry, that date doesn't work for me" would end up hurting his feelings.

If I had to paint a picture, he's like a cross between Bill Murray's character in What About Bob and Zach Galifinakis's character in The Hangover.  If he busted out with "And we're the three best friends!" song, I would not be surprised.

Part of me just wants to be direct with him but I also recognize that he's pretty fragile, he looks up to Dave and me (he's admitted as much) and I don't want to hurt the dude's feelings.  Part of me likes him a little bit because he's, again, way too nice and ultimately I recognize that he means well...last week the three of us ran 13.1 miles one morning and for the first time he didn't stop and walk and we didn't leave him behind.  I was proud of him.

Anyway, if any of you guys have any advice on how to get rid of a 40+ year old stage 5 clinger, let me know.  Thanks for reading.

Status update?

21 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Status update?

He texted me and Dave yesterday with separate "I miss you!" texts.  

Then proceeded to inform me that he's been going through some personal problems and when I didn't bite on asking the question on what those personal problems were, he proceeded to inform me that he's having some issues with his marriage.  I told him that he should maybe find a men's group at his church (again, very religious) to help him out.  Encouraged him to keep running, that'll help with some of the stress that he's experiencing.  

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Don't know if that was supposed to make me laugh but it did.

I'm not trying to be funny, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

The dude is so, so nice.  He really is.  But there's just a lot of social cues he doesn't pick up on.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

When people come down my driveway I open the door and yell “get ‘em!” 

my dog rips through the doorway after them

the turn and run.  I have a 700 foot long driveway, it goes down a big hill, which means they’re now running up a big hill from a dog in a panic 

she’s a golden doodle. Sweetest thing is the world. She doesn’t jump, she’s trained very well. She’ll just sit next your feet wagging her tail begging for you to pet her. She’s trained pretty well. 

but they don’t know that. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

My driveway is like 200 square feet.  I also usually park my Jeep on it if it's going to snow and then move it when I'm ready to shovel, and so half of it never even gets covered. So it takes like 10 minutes. 

This is cheating, you default to 20 minutes so it’s the same. 

5 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I have kind neighbors who love to come over and shovel for a disabled veteran. 

I’m surrounded by old people so I also clear their driveways. 

and sometimes the road if needed but that gets tricky cause I’m pretty sure it’s illegal for me to do that 

but I have to clear enough to get to other driveways 

the only one I don’t is this short small handed little ****stick that decided while my house was being constructed and I was standing there to stop, get out of his car, and berate me about how “you people” were parking on the road in front his house and he’s told us to stop and the cops are on the way. I explained I was the owner and had no idea wtf he was talking about. Then he tried to be nice (cause I guess I’m not a construction worker but a fellow home owner so that somehow means he didn’t feel obligated to be a total asshole) and I told him to get the **** off my property and never talk to me like that again

the police explained to him it’s a public street and he’s an asshole and stop wasting their time. And laughed while explaining the neighbor wasn’t very fond of how I reacted. 

but who the **** just rolls up on a random person jumps out and starts threatening t them and cussing them out? Esp when you look like you could be taken out by a random member of the local high school girls soccer team. That **** will get you shot around here. Idiot. 

Edited by tshile

6 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Show me the driveway shoveling rule book. :806:

Apparently all Alexandria cares about is 24-72 hours depending on storm level and that you don’t shovel it into the streets or sidewalks. 

I can’t help it you live in sissyville

i did not see anything expressly prohibiting shoveling it into other driveways though