Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

I think given the context of the situation with Rodgers (can retire if he doesn’t get to pick the team, huge cap number, old, damaged relationship, they have to see Love and everyone knows it, etc.) the Packers did well. They did especially well to get that conditional 2nd—>1st in there, which most people didn’t expect.

However, given that they created the context of the situation (unhappy aging HOF recent MVP QB has to go bc they aren’t championship-caliber and need to see what they have in the backup QB they essentially wasted a 1st rounder on rather than maximizing their window with Rodgers), they don’t get full marks for doing their best within that context. 

So…the Packers get an A…in the Remedial Biology class they got sent to bc they didn’t do their homework in Honors Biology. They succeeded in the context of their own prior failure. 

The arsonist fireman, if you will. Did a nice job putting out they fire they started. Also known as the Ernie G.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Initial reaction is the Packers got very little in return.

I think they got a pretty good haul for a QB who is 40, on the decline, and admitted publicly he was 90% to retire this off season. 

Teams just don't give draft picks away like that anymore.

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Banks has become my go to pick IF we go DB at 16. 

Still prefer OT assuming any of the 1st round-tier guys are available.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I’m kind of curious if we sell more than buy in this class… meaning we trade back for ammo for 2024 and wind up with less picks in this draft than we currently have. We’ll see. 

I’m hoping for a Sweat trade for 2024 capital and keeping most of this year’s class but… not happening. 

• Like 2

Interesting take from some guys I follow closely for fantasy football advice.  If Peter Skoronski or Darnell Wright are there and we pass on one of them for Deonte Banks, I’m going to flip my ****. 

Angry Kung Fu Panda GIF

Edited by Rex Tomb
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’m kind of curious if we sell more than buy in this class… meaning we trade back for ammo for 2024 and wind up with less picks in this draft than we currently have. We’ll see. 

I’m hoping for a Sweat trade for 2024 capital and keeping most of this year’s class but… not happening. 

We should load up for a run at a top QB next year, IMHO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Rivera needs to win now. He won't be sacrificing present picks for the future unless the new owner gives him assurances about his job security which I highly doubt would happen.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Rivera needs to win now. He won't be sacrificing present picks for the future unless the new owner gives him assurances about his job security which I highly doubt would happen.

Just another reason why I hate our current structure with Rivera as both coach and GM/decision maker. If Rivera was just a coach and he was hired by a real GM who ran the team he would understand that as much as we like Howell there is a pretty decent chance he busts and we need draft capital to try and trade for our guy next year or two.

Like how Philly picked up a bunch of picks in case they had to replace Hurts.

But he needs to win so we will use picks to plug immediate holes to try and eke out some more wins in 2023, future be damned.

My biggest issue with Rivera is he has no real 3 year team-building plan it’s all spastic and oftentimes contradictory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, seantaylor=god said:

Just another reason why I hate our current structure with Rivera as both coach and GM/decision maker. If Rivera was just a coach and he was hired by a real GM who ran the team he would understand that as much as we like Howell there is a pretty decent chance he busts and we need draft capital to try and trade for our guy next year or two.

Like how Philly picked up a bunch of picks in case they had to replace Hurts.

But he needs to win so we will use picks to plug immediate holes to try and eke out some more wins in 2023, future be damned.

My biggest issue with Rivera is he has no real 3 year team-building plan it’s all spastic and oftentimes contradictory.

Yeah having the coach also in charge of personnel never works out well. Thankfully the new ownership should rectify that situation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I think they got a pretty good haul for a QB who is 40, on the decline, and admitted publicly he was 90% to retire this off season. 

Teams just don't give draft picks away like that anymore.

Banks has become my go to pick IF we go DB at 16. 

Still prefer OT assuming any of the 1st round-tier guys are available.

Yep. If this class didn’t have the CB depth it has, Banks would have been my pick. I think he projects very well as a future scheme versatile CB1 and he holds less risk than Porter and Witherspoon (who I wonder is going to have durability issues due to his size and physical nature)

54 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

In theory… yes. But he has made legitimately zero win now moves so far this off-season. He really seems to be playing a long game. Of course… that can change. But nothing they’ve done has been win now. Not sure why that mantra keeps being repeated.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

In theory… yes. But he has made legitimately zero win now moves so far this off-season. He really seems to be playing a long game. Of course… that can change. But nothing they’ve done has been win now. Not sure why that mantra keeps being repeated.

Under Dan, I think the only GM we've had who ever traded draft capital for future years was Scot McCloughan -- unless am forgetting one year.

Be cool to see us do this ala what the Eagles do frequently but got my doubts especially with Ron in a must win season. 

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I agree with this.  But trading down for future capital would be taking this theory up a notch. 

• Like 1

I've seen us attached to three cornerbacks, three quarterbacks, at least two and maybe three tackles, a guard, a safety, a running back, a tight end and even an edge rusher.  Very few of those selections even involve someone falling to us.

This many potential options really makes me hope for a trade back

38 minutes ago, MrJL said:

I've seen us attached to three cornerbacks, three quarterbacks, at least two and maybe three tackles, a guard, a safety, a running back, a tight end and even an edge rusher.  Very few of those selections even involve someone falling to us.

This many potential options really makes me hope for a trade back

No linebackers? Again?!? Sheesh...

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hybrid nickle type.  Some hype for him but I can't find anything to watch to judge him. 

I rarely post links pushing anyone but I haven't seen anything on this Hybrid/Nickel/Safety/Freak....unicorn

JL Skinner Safety

Boise State

6'4"

210 lbs

Enforcer, good tackler, good in coverage-will take away the TE/center of the field

projection 3rd-4th round

I was so psyched to see him play in the Senior Bowl but had a death in the family pulling him away from most of the weeks events

Then he tore a pectoral working out at the combine so hasn't had a lot of publicity  

https://lastwordonsports.com/nfl/2023/04/19/jl-skinner-2023-nfl-draft-profile/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah having the coach also in charge of personnel never works out well. Thankfully the new ownership should rectify that situation.

All we can hope for is they don’t royally screw up their last draft and do any damage for the next FO. Fortunately seems like we are set on Howell. The reason I’m most into Howell isn’t his upside but the fact if he’s not it, new FO gets to decide the direction we go next. 

And I agree if Skoronski or Wright are there at 16 and we don’t either draft one or trade down I’ll be livid. If we pick Deonte Banks, even more so. 

He may be a legit R1 CB but I always am weary of guys with Day 2 grades that a few weeks out from the draft suddenly become mid-1st round picks. I know the draft media guys are just catching up to real world football guys at this stage, but still doesn’t make me feel like he’s being over drafted if he is the pick at 16

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I rarely post links pushing anyone but I haven't seen anything on this Hybrid/Nickel/Safety/Freak....unicorn

JL Skinner Safety

Boise State

6'4"

210 lbs

Enforcer, good tackler, good in coverage-will take away the TE/center of the field

projection 3rd-4th round

I was so psyched to see him play in the Senior Bowl but had a death in the family pulling him away from most of the weeks events

Then he tore a pectoral working out at the combine so hasn't had a lot of publicity  

I got to watch him again.  I typically like physical safeties like him.  And i recall @KDawg liked him. 

I guess  i didn't watch the right games, I sort of liked him i recall but not blown away.  As for physical safeties, Antonio Johnson grabbed me more.  Jordan Battle as well. 

Battle is my biggest grower at the spot, I like more as time marches on, have watched him again recently.

But I'll watch Skinner again.  His profile is up my alley. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I got to watch him again.  I typically like physical safeties like him.  And i recall @KDawg liked him. 

I guess  i didn't watch the right games, I sort of liked him i recall but not blown away.  As for physical safeties, Antonio Johnson grabbed me more.  Jordan Battle as well. 

Battle is my biggest grower at the spot, I like more as time marches on, have watched him again recently.

Perhaps he's a late round stash and steal?  With a torn pec, I can't imagine he's going higher than round 5 or 6.

Plus, I already have fun with Forrest:

Forrest Gump Running GIF

Imagine the gifs I could post for Skinner?

The Simpsons Dance GIF Traveling The Simpsons GIF by AniDom The Simpsons Fox GIF by AniDom

Edited by Rex Tomb
  • Like 2

We mentioned the Steelers (for an offensive lineman) and Chiefs (for a skill player) as potential trade-up teams in the Monday column. I’d put the Saints in that category as well, with their history being that they identify guys and aren’t afraid to make moves up for them (last year, they went up for Chris Olave), even if costs them future capital.

• There certainly could be teams, along those lines, looking for capital for 2024, particularly ones that may pass on this year’s quarterback class—with USC’s Caleb Williams and UNC’s Drake Maye looming as perhaps the two best prospects at the position since Trevor Lawrence came into the NFL in ’21.

...There are two guys I mentioned that the NFL is higher on than your mock-draft website thinks: I could see Ohio State’s Paris Johnson Jr. going third to the Cardinals, seventh to the Raiders or ninth to the Bears; and I could see Illinois’ Devon Witherspoon going to the Cards, Raiders, or Lions at No. 6. Both have made very strong impressions through the pre-draft process.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Battle is my biggest grower at the spot, I like more as time matches on, have watched him recently.

I like both of them, both talented. For them the positives that stuck out -  the way Johnson studies the game and for Battle it is of course it is the leadership qualities that he has more about anyone in the draft

• Like 1

To follow up some on Battle.   6 career picks.  He is around the ball on play after play.  Strong against the run and pass.

The idea of an Alabama safety -- feels boring to tout another one but he deserves some attention.  Heck I also like as i mentioned before Hellams too as a later rounder type -- he's strong against the run, SS.

So Alabama safeties for another draft season again -- good players.   Branch (who played a lot in the slot) Battle (a lot at FS, but also played in the box and some in the slot) and Hellams (mostly SS)

Nick Saban on Jordan Battle: He's a complete player, helping others play better

Alabama head coach Nick Saban has coached his fair share of elite defensive backs during his time with the Tide, and safety Jordan Battle may be the next best one. Saban pulled back the curtain and spoke on Battle and what makes him such a complete player.

“Well Jordan’s first of all a very bright guy, he’s got really good work ethic, he loves the game, he loves to play, he loves to practice, he sets a good example, he’s a good leader, he’s got a really really good understanding of everything that we’re doing in the secondary. Of course he’s got a lot of experience but he’s a bright guy and because he’s very conscientious to go with really good ability, he’s got really good size, he’s improved his ability to cover people I think a lot last year and this spring and this fall so far,” Saban said.

Battle had an electric year last season racking up 86 tackles, six pass break ups, and three interceptions. But his best skills may may be his ability to quickly turn defense into instant offense, with two of his three interceptions from last season being returned for touchdowns with a total of 111 return yards on his picks.

Battle earned various accolades from his individual performance from last season, earning All-SEC First Team honors from both the Associated Press and the conference coaches as well as first team All-American by Pro Football Focus. But, Saban said one of this best traits was his ability to elevate others around him through his leadership and communication on the field.

“I just really think he’s a complete player and I think he’s helping other players play better with his leadership. Communication is so important in the secondary and when you have confident guys that aren’t afraid to call out, it helps other the people around them play with more confidence as well and he’s certainly contributed to that in a very positive way,” Saban said.

https://www.on3.com/college/alabama-crimson-tide/news/alabama-head-coach-nick-saban-on-safety-jordan-battle-complete-player/

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1