Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Amazes me how Sheehan and Grant and Danny have Monson from PFF on their shows -- a dude who knows his way around the draft -- and both radio segments focused 90% of the conversation about the QBs.  Not even Hooker so much but CJ Stroud, Young, etc.  And then as to what the Commanders do -- that is the after thought throw away question that they devote 2 minutes to at the end of the segment.

You'd think they are covering the Panthers or Texans the way they seem fascinated about the dynamics of those teams in the draft.   Junkies do the same thing with their draft guests.  They seem fascinated by Stroud, Young and Levis mostly as if their radio audiences are captivated by those same three players.  Maybe i am missing something but I don't get it.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Here's kind of what I am thinking. It's so hard to get it on paper in a predictable way given how unpredictable the draft is. But here's my HOPE ... without player names, just positional

1st: Trade down into mid-20's, add a 2nd.

1st: OT

2nd: CB

2nd: TE

3rd: LB

4th: C

5th: S

6th: DE

6th: RB

7th: WR

Really looks like to do this and take an OT first, you'd either have to hope Washington makes it, or reach for Harrison?

image.thumb.png.e4e104fdf343002ac1c725d2a460b278.png

13 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I would say RB falls into this category. Have we been reported as haven spoken to Robinson or Gibbs ? Can’t recall.

Could be.

Nope as for Gibbs-Robinson.  I posted yesterday what RBs they met with. Don't have the energy to redo it.  But in short the RBs they met with are sort of in that late 3rd-5th round range

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

Really looks like to do this and take an OT first, you'd either have to hope Washington makes it, or reach for Harrison?

image.thumb.png.e4e104fdf343002ac1c725d2a460b278.png

Yeah, pretty much. My guess is Wright isn't there. Because he could very well go to PIT at #17. But if for whatever reason Jones is on the board, or Skoronski, when we trade back, then that might kick another OT down the board. Idk if Wright makes it to #24, I doubt it. But then you're in no-mans-land between him and Harrison (If you believe he's a late 1st/early 2nd talent). But I have seen Harrison going as high as #19 in some reputable mocks, so idk if taking him at #24 is necessarily a risk.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Could be.

Nope as for Gibbs-Robinson.  I posted yesterday what RBs they met with. Don't have the energy to redo it.  But in short the RBs they met with are sort of in that late 3rd-5th round range

Which makes a ton of sense of course - take advantage of the deep class.  Of course, you could say the same about TE, edge, C and corner… though those are higher on the needs list IMO. (Which is why we all want more picks in those mid rounds obviously)

The more I think about a trade down, the more I feel like Campbell might be the smart pick - it’s up there in terms of need, it seems that no other backer is close (seems like a thin class there too), and we’d still be picking up ammo to dip into/take advantage of the deeper positions.  And, though I could be wrong here, he seems like a cleaner prospect than some of the other guys we might slot in that range - Harrison/Dawand/Avila/Forbes/etc… assuming Keuchly “clears” him for Ron of course.

• Like 2

If you are able to trade back to 24 and Harrison or Wright is still on the board, you should run the card up to the podium.

Regarding Branch and Porter, they are not going to fit some teams scheme like they could in ours. Leaves more opportunity for them to fall into our laps post trade back

After seeing @skinny21s post above reminding me of Campbell as I was teetering in the late 20's of the 1st. If we end out that the very end of round 1 or beginning of the 2nd, Campbell should be in play. He is going to be desired by numerous teams and there is no one like him in this draft. I'd rather him than any other player so late first isn't too early in my book for that stud. I have him graded higher than most I guess.

Edited by DWinzit
added last paragraph
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Amazes me how Sheehan and Grant and Danny have Monson from PFF on their shows -- a dude who knows his way around the draft -- and both radio segments focused 90% of the conversation about the QBs.  Not even Hooker so much but CJ Stroud, Young, etc.  And then as to what the Commanders do -- that is the after thought throw away question that they devote 2 minutes to at the end of the segment.

You'd think they are covering the Panthers or Texans the way they seem fascinated about the dynamics of those teams in the draft.   Junkies do the same thing with their draft guests.  They seem fasicnationed by Stroud, Young and Levis mostly as if their radio audiences are captivated by those same three players.  Maybe i am missing something but I don't get it.

Let's be honest, we pick at 16, so most of the interesting names in this draft will be gone by the time we pick, including all of the projected 1st round QB's.  Since we're most likely picking OL or CB at 16, or trading back, those positions don't move the needle.  If we were in the QB market this year, there would be a lot more buzz around the draft.  As it stands right now, there's not much excitement around this draft, since the ownership situation has all of our current attention.  I should also add that this is the last pick by this FO, so that could be another reason why the buzz isn't there like it is in other previous seasons.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 3

Why is Jalin Hyatt not getting serious hype. He looks explosive to me. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You'd think they are covering the Panthers or Texans the way they seem fascinated about the dynamics of those teams in the draft.   Junkies do the same thing with their draft guests.  They seem fascinated by Stroud, Young and Levis mostly as if their radio audiences are captivated by those same three players.  Maybe i am missing something but I don't get it.

Did they not mention the Texans sniffing around Hooker?

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

He is, and I know he is one of your dudes. Thing is, he is a WR that will be gone in the first 2 rounds and thats one of the only spots we don't have a big need

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Did they not mention the Texans sniffing around Hooker?

No.  My point was I would get it if Sheehan or Grant and Danny focused heavily on Hooker considering this team's supposedly interest in him.  But nope.  They are instead fascinated by Carolina, the Texans, the teams at the top of the draft.  

• Like 1

Anfernee Orgi - LB

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Round 6
Overview
Orji plays a frenetic brand of football that helps get him to the football but also creates consistency issues. When the ball is snapped, he’s in attack mode whether he’s a run blitzer or an urgent linebacker. He makes up for what he lacks in timed speed with aggressive angles and an ability to slip climbing blocks to meet the ball-carrier near the line. He sees too many tackles slip from his grasp, but he’s also going to be in position to sniff a tackle when other linebackers are stuck to blocks. The traits, instincts and coverage are below average, but his play demeanor and special teams potential could give a chance to find a home.

11 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

How does this affect pick 16?

Jets and Pack still pick ahead of us, as they did before the trade.

QB situation between the pair has not changed, Just switches what side A-Rod is on.

I'm not sure this affects us at all in terms of what will be available when it gets to 16.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

He is, and I know he is one of your dudes. Thing is, he is a WR that will be gone in the first 2 rounds and thats one of the only spots we don't have a big need

Totally agreed it’s not a big need. He’s a hell of a prospect thought. DJax comparisons. They could always move Gibson on. Adapts Samulel’s role. Take another receiver. Wide open. Who knows what EB is pushing for :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

QB situation between the pair has not changed, Just switches what side A-Rod is on.

I'm not sure this affects us at all in terms of what will be available when it gets to 16.

It does give GB a couple of picks before us in the 40s now which seems a nailed on place for a TE for them.

• Like 1

It likely means one less potential high end QB taken in front of us and one more competing for a mid-late QB. Although I don't think anyone is projecting a high end QB to fall to 16 right now... Stroud maybe? Have to think the Pack are going to give the J Love experiment a go right? 

Edited by Inigo Montoya

2 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

It likely means one less potential high end QB taken in front of us and one more competing for a mid-late QB. Although I don't think anyone is projecting a high end QB to fall to 16 right now... Stroud maybe? Have to think the Pack are going to give the J Love experiment a go right? 

Stroud falling would be intriguing to me but man if he fell to 16 that would tell me that the rumors around him were legit, and give me significant pause in taking him as well. 

12 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Eh, we all knew the trade was gonna happen so you’re right that it doesn’t change anything. But if it hadn’t happened, the Jets would big time be in the hunt for a rookie QB. Now they aren’t and the Packers aren’t because they have to give Love a chance. So the trade did change things…we just had already factored in that change ages ago. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Mmm, my initial reaction is that the Pack won this trade big time.

Looking at it closer, I move towards your direction than in my first take, but not as far over as you're sitting. I'll give more precise directions to my location as time passes. 😛

• Like 1

I think given the context of the situation with Rodgers (can retire if he doesn’t get to pick the team, huge cap number, old, damaged relationship, they have to see Love and everyone knows it, etc.) the Packers did well. They did especially well to get that conditional 2nd—>1st in there, which most people didn’t expect.

However, given that they created the context of the situation (unhappy aging HOF recent MVP QB has to go bc they aren’t championship-caliber and need to see what they have in the backup QB they essentially wasted a 1st rounder on rather than maximizing their window with Rodgers), they don’t get full marks for doing their best within that context. 

So…the Packers get an A…in the Remedial Biology class they got sent to bc they didn’t do their homework in Honors Biology. They succeeded in the context of their own prior failure. 

• Like 1