Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Just spit balling, based on what you guys here out there (I'm way out in Lake Tahoe/Reno), what would you say is the clear scenario here?

#1: Take OL at slot

#2: Take CB at slot

#3: Trade Down

#4: Take BPA that isn't an OL/CB

Any sense on which way they might be leaning? Other than what I can read from keim when I have a chance, and on here, I'm totally out of the loop. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Just spit balling, based on what you guys here out there (I'm way out in Lake Tahoe/Reno), what would you say is the clear scenario here?

#1: Take OL at slot

#2: Take CB at slot

#3: Trade Down

#4: Take BPA that isn't an OL/CB

Any sense on which way they might be leaning? Other than what I can read from keim when I have a chance, and on here, I'm totally out of the loop. 

1.  Trade down

2.  OT-- CB, almost tie, Keim thinks more likely OT but CB right behind

3.  Myles Murphy, Lukas Van Ness, Brian Branch, Dalton Kincaid

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

ESPN's new mock draft simulator is pretty fun:

image.thumb.png.9c1d7d9a5c294f21e1968e93b563a64e.png

image.thumb.png.09438e556de43bfbaa5bb3e48119087e.png

There's been a lot of "bad juju" out there on Dawand Jones. But from a pure talent standpoint, and from a pure size standpoint, he seems to me like the most "Eric Bieniemy" option ... isn't Orlando Brown like 6'8 350? Jones is 6'8 370. I know weight is a big issue/concern, but wonder if the risk is worth the reward if he's there in the 2nd (and if we target a CB or another position in R1). I feel better about drafting him if we trade down and that pick is more a "luxury"

16 minutes ago, e16bball said:

If we could combine Kyle Van Noy and Lukas Van Ness into one player, that would be an absolute dude and I would immediately support him as BPA at 16…

lol, yeah I corrected that typo pretty quickly so you were quick on the trigger :ols:

But yeah if Van Ness could play in space like Van Noy can, he'd likely go even earlier than projected 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

1.  Trade down

2.  OT-- CB, almost tie, Keim thinks more likely OT but CB right behind

3.  Myles Murphy, Lukas Van Ness, Brian Branch, Dalton Kincaid

I’m in the minority i think in terms of being less keen on OT early. I believe they want an IOL prospect, flex position inside perhaps in Avila. Torrence is a potential monster for G. Maybe tackle in the 3/4 round range if best value. All that said I’m not pushing OL at #16 but if we went that way, so be it.

Kincaid has come up on the rails for me. Looks elite potential. Branch looks like a perfect match. Again, #16 is not great valid IMO.

Its CB for me. But Rivera and Mayhew have literally never gone that direction before in round 1 so that trend is there on record.....

If you got one of the top Edge prospects sat there at #16 it is no issue for me in snagging one. I have a feeling in that scenario you will get KC on the phone with a wild trade up offer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

When I post the stats for all these position, what I have in bold as to the categories at the top are the top 2 relevant metrics according to PFF as for NFL performance.  So for TE they had it as their 10 time and 3 cone.

I read a long article from PFF about the measurables that their stats indicate matter the most per position.  And they had a seperate article about which metrics determine draft status more -- but I ignored the draft status metrics.  I was much more interested in their takes as to correlation of what athletic traits translate to performance.

Obviously, there is much more to it than that.  But they seem to use a big data pool that indicated that those two metrics correlated the most to the better players at that position.

RB which you mention ironically had the same two metrics but in the reverse order of importance compared to TE. 

Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 12.27.40 PM.png

Is there any love for Deuce Vaughn from Kansas St.?  A day 3 steal, IMO with good hands, speed and vision.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I’m in the minority i think in terms of being less keen on OT early. I believe they want an IOL prospect, flex position inside perhaps in Avila. Torrence is a potential monster for G. Maybe tackle in the 3/4 round range if best value. All that said I’m not pushing OL at #16 but if we went that way, so be it.

Kincaid has come up on the rails for me. Looks elite potential. Branch looks like a perfect match. Again, #16 is not great valid IMO.

Its CB for me. But Rivera and Mayhew have literally never gone that direction before in round 1 so that trend is there on record.....

If you got one of the top Edge prospects sat there at #16 it is no issue for me in snagging one. I have a feeling in that scenario you will get KC on the phone with a wild trade up offer.

That was about the first round.  Be somewhat surprised if they went in interior in round 1.   When it comes to what they want.  I just try to digest the narratives I keep hearing -- mainly from Keim.  

He mentions tackle then CB, before hitting interior O line.    I think the better shot for interior is in the 2nd if they go CB in the first.  If they go CB they would likely have slim pickings at tackle at 47 -- interior would likely be the better bet.  Or maybe if they trade down to all the way of the bottom of the first -- maybe Torrence or Avila then.

For me personally, I am hardcore not locked into any postion in any round.  Let the board play out.

Outside of Tackle and CB:  Van Ness, Murphy, Nolan Smith, Kincaid, Branch would all be good picks IMO.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That was about the first round.  Be somewhat surprised if they went in interior in round 1.   When it comes to what they want.  I just try to digest the narratives I keep hearing -- mainly from Keim.  

He mentions tackle then CB, before hitting interior O line.    I think the better shot for interior is in the 2nd if they go CB in the first.  If they go CB they would likely have slim pickings at tackle at 47 -- interior would likely be the better bet.  Or maybe if they trade down to all the way of the bottom of the first -- maybe Torrence or Avila then.

For me personally, I am hardcore not locked into any postion in any round.  Let the board play out.

Outside of Tackle and CB:  Van Ness, Murphy, Nolan Smith, Kincaid, Branch would all be good picks IMO.  

If we go CB at 16 then I agree, IOL would be the better fit at #47 unless someone like Dawand Jones slides and we see the risk being worth the reward.

I think I have convinced myself that we would go OT in the 1st ... then hitting C in R2/R3. 

But there's a chance we go CB (trade down, hopefully), and we are able to go C/G at 47 and then grab a developmental OT in the 3rd/4th range.

• Like 1

If we went OT in the 1st ... then you have Leno / Wylie / Gates / Cosmi / Rookie 1st Round Pick

If we went CB in the 1st and C in the 2nd, then you have Leno / Gates / Rookie 2nd rounder / Cosmi / Wylie

I would prefer to get the elite RT if possible, but I can see the value in the second path. 

An absolutely perfect world would be trading 16 for 29 and 40 from NO and drafting Anton Harrison, John Michael Schmitz, and then a CB at #47. We'd be set on the OL for a long time if those 2 picks hit.

Leno - Wylie - JMS - Cosmi - Harrison

Lucas - Paul - Gates - Charles 

That's a stout OL.

Hell, if Harrison balls out out of the gate, you could just stick him at LT and cut Leno, saving $20+ million over the next 2 years in cap space to re-direct elsewhere with cut-downs this year or in next year's FA cycle. 

Harrison - Gates - JMS - Cosmi - Wylie

Lucas - Paul - Larsen - Charles

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

@Going Commando loves the guy 

He does love him.

For me i like him.  My concerns with him centers on the obvious one -- his size.  5 '5, 179.  Don't see him holding up with being much more than a third down back.  He has super quick feet.  But he's not that fast, has short legs so I don't envision him with breakaway speed in the NFL.  Good player but IMO is a complementary back.  And this class has a whole bunch of RBs who can be featured backs so that's his main hold up with me.

i spent a lot of time this past weekend ranking these RBs.  Finally got there.  So here's how I rank them at the end -- so this is the definitive, be all and end all list that is bound to be 100% on the money :ols:

But in short, there are so many RBs I like.  If i had to pound the table for RBs who get no love here it would be Kendre Miller -- 3rd-4th round range.  And for the later guys Evan Hull and Travis Dye.  But there are so many i like.  Ditto at TE.  And ditto at DE.  I am bound to love whomever they take if they take a player at that spot.

Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 2.10.44 PM.png

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Oh ok. I think we could IOL late first round after a trade back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Oh ok. I think we could IOL late first round after a trade back.

Maybe, impossible to tell of course though.  All depends on who is there.  I suspect for example if Anton Harrison is there, they'd take him.  but if he's gone for example, could be a guard.  Avila or Torrence they've poked around some.  And I wonder about Mauch, they met with him once.  

i do think if they took D. Wright earlish or Bergeron in the 2nd, they might start off at guard with the idea that they'd transition to tackle.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

ESPN's new mock draft simulator is pretty fun:

image.thumb.png.9c1d7d9a5c294f21e1968e93b563a64e.png

image.thumb.png.09438e556de43bfbaa5bb3e48119087e.png

There's been a lot of "bad juju" out there on Dawand Jones. But from a pure talent standpoint, and from a pure size standpoint, he seems to me like the most "Eric Bieniemy" option ... isn't Orlando Brown like 6'8 350? Jones is 6'8 370. I know weight is a big issue/concern, but wonder if the risk is worth the reward if he's there in the 2nd (and if we target a CB or another position in R1). I feel better about drafting him if we trade down and that pick is more a "luxury"

It is. It seems every time I run it, at least one of Skoronski, Paris Johnson Jr., or Wright is available at our pick. Good omen.

Well Rivera was very quick to point out in the pre draft press conference that they never brought Jahan in for a visit last year so that they could keep our interest under wraps.

I’m calling minds game in play there and we will take someone who has made a top 30 visit here this time around.

• Like 1

That would be the upside of taking somone like Brian Branch -- high floor players.  

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

My only pause about him is his back injury and that he didn't run.  But I think those reasons might drop him to the last first, early 2nd -- even though DJ keeps mocking him around the top 10.

I'd love to have him.  Elite hands.  Elite seperator on the first level.  

12 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Well Rivera was very quick to point out in the pre draft press conference that they never brought Jahan in for a visit last year so that they could keep our interest under wraps.

I’m calling minds game in play there and we will take someone who has made a top 30 visit here this time around.

I think almost for sure there is a player or two that they have shown no interest in -- that they privately salivating for.   I mentioned Jack Campbell the other day as maybe one of those players -- feels like Rivera can just talk to Luke Kuechly about Campbell without bothering with anything else. 

• Like 1

What are the medical issues that are supposedly coming out that teams are taking Darnell Washington off their boards?

Hell, if that guy slips at all into R3 I am clammoring to grab him. At some point raw talent/size/upside outweighs risk. 

At the very least he's a stud blocker. But I wonder what the medicals are?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

What are the medical issues that are supposedly coming out that teams are taking Darnell Washington off their boards?

Hell, if that guy slips at all into R3 I am clammoring to grab him. At some point raw talent/size/upside outweighs risk. 

At the very least he's a stud blocker. But I wonder what the medicals are?

I just saw that on Walter Football. they weren't specific.  They also mentioned Laporta has medical concerns but they aren't as big. 

Here's kind of what I am thinking. It's so hard to get it on paper in a predictable way given how unpredictable the draft is. But here's my HOPE ... without player names, just positional

1st: Trade down into mid-20's, add a 2nd.

1st: OT

2nd: CB

2nd: TE

3rd: LB

4th: C

5th: S

6th: DE

6th: RB

7th: WR

Or, 2 small trade-backs ... say to #19 with TB for their 3rd. Then again to, say, JAX for their 3rd. Then you're picking at 24 with additionals 3's ..

1st: OT

2nd: CB

3rd: TE

3rd: LB

3rd: C

4th: S

5th: DE

6th: RB

6th: WR

7th: DE

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

There is a lot of speculation that Cosmi is going to be a good starting guard. If he can get his injuries under control, he might be a good guard, but it remains to be seen.

Whyle is a good RG. RT is still a big hole until proven otherwise. Oline is still code red. OT and IOL are still the biggest priorities. I can live with the same play that we got from every other position group last year. LBer, TE and DB wasn't great, but Oline was bad. As was QB, which has been addressed as much as it will.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think almost for sure there is a player or two that they have shown no interest in -- that they privately salivating for.   I mentioned Jack Campbell the other day as maybe one of those players -- feels like Rivera can just talk to Luke Kuechly about Campbell without bothering with anything else. 

I would say RB falls into this category. Have we been reported as haven spoken to Robinson or Gibbs ? Can’t recall.

I love the different online mock simulators. The names that drop. The ridiculous trades offered.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft/

this is my favorite right now. Just did one a min ago when I rejected all trade offers and took BPA for the 1st few rounds.

and then one where I did all the trades!

Madness and totally unrealistic.

2023-04-24_15-11-37.jpg

2023-04-24_15-18-08.jpg

• Like 1