Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Ohh yeah thats right. Yeah theyre pretty low on ammo then. They might be trading Cook though.

Who trades assets that they may not be able to keep? Pfft.

They should follow our lead.

Just in case... /s

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I read somewhere yesterday a GM saying there arent even 15 1st round caliber players and this is one of the worst drafts in recent memory for high end talent.

Well in that case you might not be able to get that 2024 first but maybe you get a third this year for a few spots. Of course since we're  not looking for DL, WR and probably not QB the players we're  looking ar as first rounders may barely be touched by our spot

23 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I read somewhere yesterday a GM saying there arent even 15 1st round caliber players and this is one of the worst drafts in recent memory for high end talent.

Well in that case you might not be able to get that 2024 first but maybe you get a third this year for a few spots. Of course since we're  not looking for DL, WR and probably not QB the players we're  looking ar as first rounders may barely be touched by our spot

51 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Yeah, I'd be very uncomfortable trading up in this draft for a QB that isn't Bryce Young.  To me, he's the unquestioned best QB in the draft (size be damned).  Richardson is an intriguing prospect, but he'd have to fall to our spot before I would consider drafting him.  I don't really see the wow factor in Stroud or Levis, so I wouldn't draft these guys, unless they fall to the end of round 1 or the start of round 2.  For Ron, there's no sure fire QB prospect (other than Bryce Young) that I would look at as a franchise QB.  Richardson has that potential to be either a big time bust, that costs a GM his job, or he becomes some kind of Josh Allen/Cam Newton prospect that will have teams that pass on him kicking themselves 5 years from now.  It is tempting if he does fall into that 10-15 range.  My guess is that he doesn't drop past Seattle at #5. 

An interesting team to lookout for in the draft is Minnesota.  They're coming up on the end of Cousins' deal, and they need to plan ahead for the future after Cousins.  If Levis or Stroud fall to that 10-15 range, Minnesota might be tempted to draft either one, and get that future franchise QB.  Minnesota might be a prime trade partner for us, if Levis or Stroud (or both) drop to 16.

Richardson and Levis have a lot of upside -- but a lot of boom bust in both.  Not sure what to make about Stroud but don't have the interest to study him and form an opinion.

lol, I guess I'll study Hooker if he falls out of the first -- according to Keim he might be in play then but not in the first.

I know I like Haener in the 4th-5th round range, as a roll of the dice, higher ceiling version of Heinicke IMO.  Clayton Tune, Jaren Hall, Dorain Thompson-Robinson intrigue me as roll of the dice, likely backup types.

Yeah a bunch of rumors about Minny and QB, icnluding them taking Hooker in the first.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

46 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I’d love a 2024 1st, but I could also see Vikings doing really well with no Aaron Rodgers to worry about. And Kirk never gets hurt, so I doubt they bottom out.

A weird dynamic with the QBs here -- almost all our guys tend to get hurt, even dudes without much prior injury histroy before coming here like Fitz.  And Kirk is like how Eli Manning was -- his body just doesn't break down, its wild.  He gets hit plenty of times too.   

That's one of my concerns about some of my fav mid-rounder types like Haener and Jaren Hall. Thompson-Robinson also looks like a dude who will get hurt with his frame and style of play. 

Clayton Tune has the size to take a beating.  I watched a game where he was destroyed by the pass rush and kept getting up. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Richardson and Levis have a lot of upside -- but a lot of boom bust in both.  Not sure what to make about Stroud but don't have the interest to study him and form an opinion.

lol, I guess I'll study Hooker if he falls out of the first -- according to Keim he might be in play then but not in the first.

I know I like Haener in the 4th-5th round range, as a roll of the dice, higher ceiling version of Heinicke IMO.  Clayton Tune, Jaren Hall, Dorain Thompson-Robinson intrigue me as roll of the dice, likely backup types.

Yeah a bunch of rumors about Minny and QB, icnluding them taking Hooker in the first.

Hooker is definitely a QB that might have a team trade up to 16, if he falls.  Hooker is now projected to be a 1st Rd. QB, so he might be there at Pick 16, and a team like Minnesota or Baltimore might trade up with us to get him.  Washington shouldn't draft him in the 1st Round, but if he were there in the 2nd Round, I'd definitely pick him.  He's another intriguing prospect.  If we trade back with a team, so they can draft Stroud or Levis, and Hooker is there at the beginning of Round 2, it would be tempting to draft Hooker.  My guess is that he will be taken by a team somewhere in the middle or the later part of Round 1. 

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Hooker is definitely a QB that might have a team trade up to 16, if he falls.  Hooker is now projected to be a 1st Rd. QB, so he might be there at Pick 16, and a team like Minnesota or Baltimore might trade up with us to get him.  Washington shouldn't draft him in the 1st Round, but if he were there in the 2nd Round, I'd definitely pick him.  He's another intriguing prospect.  If we trade back with a team, so they can draft Stroud or Levis, and Hooker is there at the end of the 1st round or at the beginning of Round 2, it would be tempting to draft Hooker.  My guess is that he will be taken by a team somewhere in the middle or the later part of Round 1. 

Yeah I among others have been posting some of the rumor stuff here including about Hooker going in the first.  Some still think he was fall to the 2nd.   Will see.  

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know I like Haener in the 4th-5th round range, as a roll of the dice, higher ceiling version of Heinicke IMO.

From strictly a football standpoint I think stetson bennett would be a good comp to Heinicke and will probably go undrafted as well.

McGovern is back, so that likely takes the Jets out of the center hunt

4 minutes ago, redskinss said:

From strictly a football standpoint I think stetson bennett would be a good comp to Heinicke and will probably go undrafted as well.

Agree.  He's a good comp, too, undersized, gritty, clutch.  Haener the same.  Haener off the field is a good match too versus Bennett's bad boy persona.

• Like 1

Ryan Fowler, used to work for the team, then worked for Draft Network doing draft anaylsis.  I listen to his podcasts, he's good.

I didn't consider him an insider.  but i don't rule him out either on that front.

He said he heard this teams O line board has Paris Johnson first and Darnell Wright 2nd.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Ryan Fowler, used to work for the team, then worked for Draft Network doing draft anaylsis.  I listen to his podcasts, he's good.

I didn't consider him an insider.  but i don't rule him out either on that front.

He said he heard this teams O line board has Partis Johnson first and Darnell Wright 2nd.

I have to think that if Darnell Wright is there at #16 he's probably the pick. I'd be almost willing to bet the house on that. Unless Christian Gonzalez or Devon Witherspoon is there, but even then I think the value of OT>CB based on current roster construction and the depth of CB later in the draft makes Wright the easy call. 

21 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I have to think that if Darnell Wright is there at #16 he's probably the pick. I'd be almost willing to bet the house on that. Unless Christian Gonzalez or Devon Witherspoon is there, but even then I think the value of OT>CB based on current roster construction and the depth of CB later in the draft makes Wright the easy call. 

Maybe.  I suspect they still trade back with even him on the board.

Darnell was one of my earlier favorites in the draft -- yet tough for me to digest all the media draftniks, talking him as being borderline elite.  The buzz on him probably grew more than any other player I can think of -- probably him and Laporta who also was one of my early on favs.

Wright is a good athlete for his size but his core seems a bit stiff which is evidenced by some of his balance issues where he ends up on his butt on quite a few plays.  But I'd dig it. 

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe.  I suspect they still trade back with even him on the board.

Darnell was one of my earlier favorites in the draft -- yet tough for me to digest all the media draftniks, talking him as being borderline elite.  The buzz on him probably grew more than any other player I can think of -- probably him and Laporta who also was one of my early on favs.

Wright is a good athlete for his size but his core seems a bit stiff which is evidenced by some of his balance issues where he ends up on his butt on quite a few plays.  But I'd dig it. 

I think NYJ will take him at 15 if he's there.  He can plug & play at RT (major need) for them.  They want to win ASAP and taking him over someone like B. Jones (who is more raw) would be within their reasoning.

Just now, mhd24 said:

I think NYJ will take him at 15 if he's there.  He can plug & play at RT (major need) for them.  They want to win ASAP and taking him over someone like B. Jones (who is more raw) would be within their reasoning.

Maybe.  In mocks, Jets take Broderick Jones in a bunch of them.  McGinn's scouts are typically the best predicators of how the draft will go.  They have Jones rated more highly than they do Wright.    will see how it all unfolds.

Ian Cummings has been the only draftnik type I've liked among those working for Commanders blogs over the years.  IMO he has really sharp takes. 

The other Commanders blogs-writers IMO either just regurgitate other takes or come up with IMO "meh" and sometimes wildly off takes of their own.

Tony Pauline hired Cummings years ago, good move IMO.  Anyway, he's been touting Carrington Valentine, CB, Kentucky. So I finally just watched him.

He reminds me a little of Kelee Ringo.   6 ', 194. 4.44 speed.  Decent size arms 32.5.  With him you are betting on traits from the 2 games I watched.  Like Ringo, he came off inconsistent, rangy, at times he was hip to hip and sometimes he got beat.    Played off and man in those games.    Outside corner.  Feisty player -- good long speed-recovery speed.

Looked OK against the run in the games I watched but PFF who watched all the games gave him a bad score against the run.  At his size-dimensions he might be better at the slot on the NFL.

5th-6th round, not a bad pick IMO.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

If the Panthers took Levis over Young… man. Not that I think Levis is a bust. And I really do understand the size concerns. But… Young is such a better prospect.

My guess is teams are thinking this is similar to Tua versus herbert.

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

I keep overlooking Stetson. I actually do think he has an above average shot at being drafted. He's better than I initially thought. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just listened to Tony Pauline, referenced Dawand Jones behavior at his pro day -- and not in a good way and said he's heard he's now going late 2nd round at best.  Wow.

At a certain point the reward becomes worth the risk. Curious to see how far Jones ends up sliding on draft day. But I know there are reports that several teams have removed him from their boards altogether (maybe I am confusing him with other prospects). 

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

At a certain point the reward becomes worth the risk. Curious to see how far Jones ends up sliding on draft day. But I know there are reports that several teams have removed him from their boards altogether (maybe I am confusing him with other prospects). 

Haven't heard off the board for him.  Maybe you are thinking about the Walterfootball report about Darnell Washington as to some injury?  Though i haven't seen anyone else yet back it.

• Like 1