Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I ironically just listened to that Logan Paulsen podcast you are referencing.  

I am on the same page with Paulsen on some of his points.  We both have draft man crushes on Keion White.   We both like Banks over Porter.  We both like Harrison and like him over B. Jones. We both see Bergeron as sort of the last of the Mohicans at tackle and see him as a good fit here.    Like him, i do agree that Josh Whyle is underrated. 

My one disagreement with him is he's not high on the fit of Dalton Kincaid to this team but he seems to have backed off on that recently.  And your take the other day about the TE from what I recall echo Paulsen's thoughts on it -- specifically as to them being high on who they have internally.  But I am getting the impression that the FO might have shifted in that thinking recently as to interest in a TE and if so I gather Bieiniemy is the reason for it.

But lol yeah I've listened to Logan Paulsen put cold water on the TE talk again and again.   He thinks the spot is all about traits.  And Armani Rodgers has all the tools. Cole Turner with the catch radius and Curtis Hodges has bulked up in the off season. My come back to that is none of them showed last year that they are durable.  To their defense its a tough spot to maintain durability.  Ditto Logan Thomas through his career.   So even if they have enough of them as to numbers -- what are the odds that they are all healthy to start the season?

And are we really riding on a dude who caught 5 passes in his pro-college career combined?  I get betting on traits.  But to just assume he's the ticket seems  aggressive for my taste.   Hodges is an undrafted free agent.  Cole Turner was one of my favs in the last draft, but he couldn't stay healthy in year 1.  And Logan Thomas if I recall was the worst blocking TE in the NFL last year.    So while i get Logan's take that hey we might have the answers at TE, so there might not be the need to do anything -- I disagree with him about that albiet he's backed off the point some recently.  But everything else almost I am on the same page with him. 

I heard his take about Gibbs.  Will see.  Definitely not something he heard but something he is guessing about.  I can't see them chasing Gibbs though unless he falls to their 2nd round pick.

As for Bergeron I brough him up in the context of trading down deep in the first -- I didn't say 16, don't think anyone else here said 16 either.  So i think we are all on the same pahe.

Like @KDawg I'd be good with Gibbs.  I'd be good with B. Robinson, too.  With Gibbs 

I think with three solid WRs and a good pass catching back the tight end can be less important

6 minutes ago, MrJL said:

I think with three solid WRs and a good pass catching back the tight end can be less important

Thay wasn't Paulsen's main argument.  His argument has been we likely got the horses in house.  And am not even saying he's wrong -- I am saying based on the players we got -- their durability and the general durability of that spot, and they are still wildcards -- why skip one of the best TE drafts we've had for eons?

Keep adding good players.  If a good TE falls to your pick and he's the top player on the board consider taking him.  I am not skipping him because of what we got in house -- but that's my opinion, doesn't mean am right.  My point was I agree with Logan Paulsen about many things -- this is my disagreement but in his defense he's backed off of his point some in recent weeks from what I can tell.

But yeah I agree with the idea that a TE will get less balls in this offense with these receivers.  But to me I'd still want one everything being equal considering this feels like a special class of TEs. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Thay wasn't Paulsen's main argument.  His argument has been we likely got the horses in house.  And am not even saying he's wrong -- I am saying based on the players we got -- their durability and the general durability of that spot, and they are still wildcards -- why skip one of the best TE drafts we've had for eons?

Keep adding good players.  If a good TE falls to your pick and he's the top player on the board consider taking him.  I am not skipping him because of what we got in house -- but that's my opinion, doesn't mean am right.  My point was I agree with Logan Paulsen about many things -- this is my disagreement but in his defense he's backed off of his point some in recent weeks from what I can tell.

But yeah I agree with the idea that a TE will get less balls in this offense with these receivers.  But to me I'd still want one everything being equal considering this feels like a special class of TEs. 

I seriously don't think a TE should be able to be the highest player on the board at only 16

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ryan Fowler, used to work for the team, then worked for Draft Network doing draft anaylsis.  I listen to his podcasts, he's good.

I didn't consider him an insider.  but i don't rule him out either on that front.

He said he heard this teams O line board has Paris Johnson first and Darnell Wright 2nd.

This makes tons of sense. Both minimally should be able to start right away start at RT or move inside. With Dawand possibly falling backwards that makes one less legit T in a small field.  How much is hype and BS, how much is real regarding Dawand.... The weight concern has been present for a while

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Tomorrow is when the rumors tend to get more fun typically, the day before.  And all day Thursday leading up to the draft start is a ton of fun for me with all the narratives, some true and some BS.

I'd say this week the vibe i am getting is the tackles come off soon.  And the CBs happen closer to our pick.   I am guessing Banks or D. Wright will be at 16, and that could be our anchor to trade back.  I've heard we like both players.  But I also keep hearing they still would rather trade down than anything else.

To me the most interesting player in a trade down would be Anton Harrison followed by Matthew Bergeron.  IMO they are the next best run of tackles after the usual top 3 mentioned.  Personally i like Harrison over B. Jones and Wright.  I like Wright.  I am OK with B. Jones but not as high on him as some.  

Borth Harrison and Bergeron are high floor players.  And IMO there is a big drop off at tackle once they are gone.  And i am getting the vibe that neither escape the late first round or at a minimum won't last until 47. 

The good and bad about Harrison.  He's a natural LT, which is good long term.  But he doesn't IMO have the position flex that Rivera typically likes -- I can't see him at guard.  Bergeron could play both guard and tackle -- but at tackle he's probably better suited to RT.

I have to think about it some more but if they trade down deep into the first, I think I like Bergeron better than Torrence and Avila.  I like Mauch too better than Torrence and Avila.  But i know that's an off beat take compared to the draft media.  But more on point of course is what do they think?  Bergeron might not be a crazy pick IMO in the late first.  Harrison would make a ton of sense as to a high floor pass protecting LT -- but he doesn't come off a guard or RT so if they took him would they let go of Leno?  From that context, it wouldn't feel as much like a win now, plug and play move.

If they want a guard -- they can likely wait to the third round -- Steen, Zavala.  But tackle is likely going to suck after the first round or pre pick 47.

The Tackles will be at a premium because there are only a few decent ones.....PJJ, Harrison, B Jones, Darnell and Berg really and a lot of teams interested or in need. I can definitely see all 5 gone no later than top few picks in the 2nd round.  I think B Jones and Anton have been slept on a little on this site...not you SIP so don't take offense :ols:. I like Anton a ton and I think Washington likes B Jones....just a gut feel more than tangible evidence to support me

That's why I said yesterday - If you are able to trade back to 24 and Harrison or Wright is still on the board, you should run the card up to the podium.

The Avila love is nuts. He is a late 2nd rounder. It's his ability to play G and C. I'd look first at the C's like Tipp or Stromberg who can also play both over him.

I think they like Mauch, watched him play 4 different positions at the Senior Bowl....which he owned all week.

I don't love Torrance like others but at the end of the first he'd be okay....but just a G

I like your guy Zavala. I tried liking Bradford but can't.

I have just recently had my eyes opened to Steen. I did not like him at Tackle but at G with ability to play T some, dang I like that!

Even if we drafted a T in the first, if Dawand is around at later selections....I'd consider!!!

I really like Wypler, but since just C, I don't see it

4 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Starting to feel confident that Wright is the pick if he's there at #16

Yeah if I were a betting man that's who my money would be on as well, unless someone like Paris Johnson somehow falls. 

I think a Leno - Wylie - Gates - Cosmi - Wright OL could be pretty good. I especially like the idea of two young athletic dudes holding down the right side for potentially the next 5+ years. 

I really hope Bijan Robinson drops to us though. Not because I want him, but because that's the one guy that could create a big time trade down opportunity for us. Of course, there are teams below us that are probably thinking the same. 

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

If the Panthers took Levis over Young… man. Not that I think Levis is a bust. And I really do understand the size concerns. But… Young is such a better prospect.

I agree Young is a more efficient passing prospect. But I dont think the gap between the two of them is huge. And Young also had a far better group of players around him than Levis did. Plus Levis gives you a legit threat in the run game as well. He ran for over 700 yards and 17 TD's in his career. He didnt run as much last season. But the threat is real.

• Like 1

I don’t know who it will be but I want a goddamn LT and I don’t care about anything else.  And I would support a move up to 10-ish to get one in a higher band. 

Give me a LT.

Im going to scream if we spend another damn first round pick on a defensive guy.  It would be every draft except one on defense since 1913 or something.

I want an offensive tackle.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Levis gives me too many Jake Locker vibes. Or best case scenario Ryan Tannehill. 

Neither one of those guys has the an arm anywhere close to Levis'.

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don’t know who it will be but I want a goddamn LT and I don’t care about anything else.  And I would support a move up to 10-ish to get one in a higher band. 

Give me a LT.

Im going to scream if we spend another damn first round pick on a defensive guy.  It would be every draft except one on defense since 1913 or something.

I am with you. Need LT. But the good ones could go early. Then you are looking at CB or QB if one falls IMO.

43 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I think B Jones and Anton have been slept on a little on this site...not you SIP so don't take offense :ols:. I like Anton a ton and I think Washington likes B Jones....just a gut feel more than tangible evidence to support me

I am ok with B. Jones, he's a bit raw for my taste but could ride with it.  He's one of the few tackles from what I recall that they have not met with.

I am good with Wright.  I like Anton even more.   I used to say Bergeron is my tackle at 47 and after him, no one excited me.  But like I've said, seems like the buzz is Bergeron is going earlier. 

The Avila love is nuts. He is a late 2nd rounder. It's his ability to play G and C. I'd look first at the C's like Tipp or Stromberg who can also play both over him.

Don't love but was ok with what i saw from Avila.  I can ride with it because from the jump I said i like him better at center.  He's a big dude with position flex.  I like Tippman -- i wish he was better at sustaining blocks in the run game, but he's one of the rare centers in this class who is a physical freak.  Stromberg does everything well, he's going to be on my guys list. But he doesn't get much love -- including from McGinn's scouts.

I think they like Mauch, watched him play 4 different positions at the Senior Bowl....which he owned all week.

Mauch and D. Washington as I've been saying on and off for eons would bring some nasty to this offense especially on the 2nd level.  Both players are also on my guys list.  I've narrowed it down to 18. :ols:

I don't love Torrance like others but at the end of the first he'd be okay....but just a G

IMO B player both in pass protection and run game.  Solid pick.  I like him from the context of his size.  it's for the same reason why I could be sold on Avila even though I didn't dig him when watching him -- clunky feet.  But the draft media seems to love Avila.  Part of it is he comes off as a good dude-articulate in the interviews I've watched,

I like your guy Zavala. I tried liking Bradford but can't.

Really good player IMO.   9.5 RAS.  Had the best numbers in this group as for giving up pressure rate. 

Bradford to me is boom-bust, sort of a rich man's Mafi IMO. 

I have just recently had my eyes opened to Steen. I did not like him at Tackle but at G with ability to play T some, dang I like that!

Really solid IMO.  In the third round range i like Zavala and Steen -- both IMO high floor players and then after them all the high floor guards are gone.

Even if we drafted a T in the first, if Dawand is around at later selections....I'd consider!!!

He is my 2nd rated tackle as a player, as i know he is for others here.  for me its all about the other stuff and for that i'll trust this FO.  No way IMO for us to know.

I really like Wypler, but since just C, I don't see it

Wypler is good IMO.  i like a bunch of these guys -- Tipplan, Stromberg, JMS.  Further down the draft:  Forsyth, Scruggs, Olu

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Give me a LT.

Draft central...

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I agree Young is a more efficient passing prospect. But I dont think the gap between the two of them is huge. And Young also had a far better group of players around him than Levis did. Plus Levis gives you a legit threat in the run game as well. He ran for over 700 yards and 17 TD's in his career. He didnt run as much last season. But the threat is real.

Levis also has a “TikTok” online personality which may not be a bad thing, but it may not be a good thing. He struggles a bit more with his accuracy and off schedule accuracy as a passer, too.

He has size, but he’s dealt with more injuries than Young. 

I think Levis is a good prospect. Heck, I won’t even rule out that he could be the best QB in the class. But I could say that for any of the top 5. 

If Young was Levis’ size it wouldn’t even be a conversation. 

• Like 3

Jose Ramirez, Edge Eastern Michgian. 6 '2, 242.  Watched a quick game.  Trying to cram some players without diving too deep.  From what i saw, I like Yasir Abdullah better -- similar size, simiiar style player.   But I did dive in more to Abdullah.

Poor 40 time, 4.73 but he had a good 10 -- 1.58.  Really good three cone and shuttle times.  Some of the smallest hands in this class -- 8 inches and change.  Some of the best PFF numbers in this group.    10 sacks last year.  6 forced fumbles in his career.

Tough call when you watch DE's who play inferior competiion like him but from what I can see, quick first step -- decent bend, disruptive -- overshoots the QB on some plays and opens lanes while doing so, oversteps some in his arc towards the QB where its not a clean arc.  Feisty player -- makes some highlight dives to help stop the opponent's run game. 

Late rounder.  Intriguing on that front

9 minutes ago, sebestian said:

ESPN mock draft special is on currently. Just started actually, if anyone is interested.  

I am watching.  Keim although said he doesn't know as much this year as he typically does about their draft intentions -- am really interested to see who he takes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jose Ramirez, Edge Eastern Michgian. 6 '2, 242. 

Love Ramirez. There are some really good-looking day 3 Edge players, IMO:

Dylan Hornton

Lonnie Phelps

BJ Thompson

Andre Jones

Jeremiah Martin

Jared Ivey

Ferris State? Caleb something or other

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Give me a LT.

Yep, it's either offensive tackle, CB or TE bro.

I'm leaning on TE also, as some have said. It worked for KC pretty well.

15 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I forbid you to derail this thread too with that butt munch.  

:P 

I saw the draft video when I was hunting for.his ownership take videos -- then you popped on this thread soon after.  The timing was too good for me to ignore,

7 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

I'm leaning on TE also, as some have said. It worked for KC pretty well.

Except Kelce was a 3rd rounder.  No need to spend big draft capital on a TE.  If we go tight end and a good OT is on the board:

Mad Season 9 GIF by The Office

• Like 1