Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I did. 

Haven't heard any of the beat guys mention it.  I know from Keim Hurney is the one who fancies himself as the Qb guru in the room, and supposedly was high on Herbert but he went one pick ahead of Carolina's pick that year.  

Weeks back Richardsoon seemed billed as a top 7 lock.  Now, I've seen some talk of him falling to around the range of our pick.

He's have visions of Cam Newton dancing through his head, Hurney that is.  

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I did. 

Haven't heard any of the beat guys mention it.  I know from Keim Hurney is the one who fancies himself as the Qb guru in the room, and supposedly was high on Herbert but he went one pick ahead of Carolina's pick that year.  

Weeks back Richardsoon seemed billed as a top 7 lock.  Now, I've seen some talk of him falling to around the range of our pick.

Richardson is intriguing. 

He's one of those guys that you don't think you should pass up because of his upside but realize that guys with that kind of upside and are that raw have struggled so you simultaneously believe that you have to pass him up.

If he's there at 16... I don't know. I don't think I would. But to have him in a QB room with Howell is intriguing for the next regime, Ron or not. Ultimately, I think I pass. But it's quite a thought. 

• Like 3

• Oregon State's Luke Musgrave is one of the more compelling prospects in a deep group of tight ends, despite being limited by injury to only two games last season. Beavers assistant coaches told me Musgrave's workouts at the combine and Oregon State's pro day have put him in solid Day 2 position. The interesting debate could be Musgrave, Georgia's Darnell Washington or Iowa's Sam LaPorta as the third tight end selected behind Utah's Dalton Kincaid and Notre Dame's Michael Mayer. A college offensive coordinator said LaPorta will thrive in the NFL much more than in college, much like former Hawkeyes tight end George Kittle (48 college receptions).

• Indianapolis could be an interesting landing spot for quarterback Anthony Richardson. NFL assistants think new Colts coach Shane Steichen would be a good mentor for Richardson after molding Jalen Hurts -- a player college defensive coordinators had significant doubts about as an NFL prospect -- into an All-Pro with the Eagles. The question with Richardson is whether he would devote himself to learning the game as much as Hurts has done in Philly. "He's a big version of Michael Vick," a league source said of Richardson. "He's a much better athlete than Cam Newton. I don't think he throws it as well."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/36289814/2023-nfl-draft-buzz-latest-rumors-notes-teams-picks-trades-qbs-first-round

• Like 1

So what if the Texans trade back from 2 (let's say to 4) and add a 2nd and future pick from the Colts? Or what if they just stay at 2 and take a DE? Then go OT/WR/RB at #12? And what if Richardson is still there at #16? Would they be someone we could deal with?

I would accept #33, #73 and a 2024 1st (probably Cleveland's 1st since I can't see the Texans giving us their 1st knowing it could be another Top 5).

Of course, Houston likely takes Richardson at #12 if they like him enough to take him at #16. But maybe they'd be a trade partner if they went Anderson-Richardson to come up for a WR at #16.Wouldn't likely get us a future 1st but you never know. 

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If he's there at 16... I don't know. I don't think I would. But to have him in a QB room with Howell is intriguing for the next regime, Ron or not. Ultimately, I think I pass. But it's quite a thought. 

I don't think he will be.  I think he is going to be picked at #10 by somebody who trades up with the Eagles to get him.  The Eagles will want to trade back, he's PROBABLY there at 10, and somebody will want to jump up and grab him, because he has the tools to be a top 5-10 QB in the league.  

If there's one player and pick that I feel pretty confident in (which is not the #1 pick), it's that one.  It just makes too much sense.  The Eagles would LOVE to trade back 10-15 spots and pick up a 2024 1st.  And somebody is going to want to come up for him.

Talented QBs are over-drafted.  Typically.  Last year being a somewhat odd-ball exception, though I think you have to question the talent of last year's crop overall.

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don't think he will be.  I think he is going to be picked at #10 by somebody who trades up with the Eagles to get him.  The Eagles will want to trade back, he's PROBABLY there at 10, and somebody will want to jump up and grab him, because he has the tools to be a top 5-10 QB in the league.  

If there's one player and pick that I feel pretty confident in (which is not the #1 pick), it's that one.  It just makes too much sense.  The Eagles would LOVE to trade back 10-15 spots and pick up a 2024 1st.  And somebody is going to want to come up for him.

Talented QBs are over-drafted.  Typically.  Last year being a somewhat odd-ball exception, though I think you have to question the talent of last year's crop overall.

I think the Eagles stay put and take Jalen Carter (if he falls. He won’t.)

If not him I think Van Ness winds up there. 

I don’t think Richardson gets beyond Indy unless Stroud is there at 4. Then where he lands becomes interesting.

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

So what if the Texans trade back from 2 (let's say to 4) and add a 2nd and future pick from the Colts? Or what if they just stay at 2 and take a DE? Then go OT/WR/RB at #12? And what if Richardson is still there at #16? Would they be someone we could deal with?

I would accept #33, #73 and a 2024 1st (probably Cleveland's 1st since I can't see the Texans giving us their 1st knowing it could be another Top 5).

Of course, Houston likely takes Richardson at #12 if they like him enough to take him at #16. But maybe they'd be a trade partner if they went Anderson-Richardson to come up for a WR at #16.Wouldn't likely get us a future 1st but you never know. 

I get the general feeling that QBs are going to go 1/2.  Either the Texans take a QB, or they trade back with somebody who is going to take a QB. Personally, I think the Texans will trade back with the Colts and the Colts pick a QB.  The Colts probably are as desperate for being able to predict the same guy starting the season at QB for at least 2-3 years as anybody.

I think there's a really fair chance 3 of the first 4 picks are QBs, with the order being Young, Stroud and then a REALLY surprising pick of Richardson at 4 to either the Colts or Texans, if the Texans move back to 4.  Personally, I really wan it to fall this way because that pushes the OTs down the board a little bit.  If we could get 4 QBs in the top 15, that would be super good for us.  It won't happen, but my dream is there is a run on QBs, DE's and CBs early in the draft, which pushes some OTs down into the 10-15 range, and Ron moxies up and goes up to get one.  If we weren't in the same division, I'd trade with the Eagles at 10. But we are, so I wouldn't.  

As I said, I don't see Richardson falling to 16.  If he makes it out of the top 4 (let's say Texans/Colts prefer somebody else), then I think #10 with the Eagles is as far as he will fall.  Somebody will trade up to that spot to get him.  It's just the "eagles way."  

14 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

This feels like a 2 minute video to break through the noise but i doubt he does it until later in the day.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Here's my outlook for round 1

All those players at each category are super close.  It's part of the reason why for me its a no brainer to trade down if they can.  The players that are in bold are the ones that I suspect they'd consider in each rung. 

Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 10.21.53 AM.png

What's your opinion on Musgrave if they trade back to the bottom of first, early second?

SIP, I just saw your blurb from ESPN about him above. 

Edited by Chris 44
  • Like 1

Charles Davis

https://www.nfl.com/news/charles-davis-2023-nfl-mock-draft-3-0-eagles-snag-top-three-player-at-no-10-pack

Pick

New England Patriots

Peter Skoronski

Northwestern · OL · Junior

Arguably the top OL in the draft, Skoronski can play tackle or guard and will provide an immediate impact for the Patriots.

Pick

New York Jets

(from GB)

Broderick Jones

Georgia · OT · Sophomore (RS)

GM Joe Douglas gives his new signal-caller the gift of protection.

Pick

Washington Commanders

Hendon Hooker

Tennessee · QB · Senior (RS)

New ownership(?), a fresh sense of direction and a bold selection! The fastest rising QB in the 2023 draft finds his new home in D.C.

Pick

Pittsburgh Steelers

Joey Porter Jr.

Penn State · CB · Junior (RS)

The legacy continues. Pittsburgh is on the lookout for a top OT, but the secondary needs attention, too. Porter's tough-minded play fits the Black and Gold perfectly.

Pick

Detroit Lions

Dalton Kincaid

Utah · TE · Senior

The Lions have plenty of options to consider here: pass rusher, WR and I suspect RB (Jahmyr Gibbs of Alabama?). But they decide to add to their already tremendous offense with the best receiving TE in the draft.

Pick

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Nolan Smith

Georgia · Edge · Senior

The Bucs add Smith, who blew up the NFL Scouting Combine, to head coach Todd Bowles’ arsenal.

Pick

Seattle Seahawks

Deonte Banks

Maryland · CB · Junior (RS)

The 'Hawks get their CB opposite last year's rookie sensation, Tariq Woolen.

Pick

Los Angeles Chargers

Zay Flowers

Boston College · WR · Senior

Every time I watched him play I was more impressed, and I'm sure that no one played harder snap to snap. Justin Herbert is thrilled to team up with this tough, dynamic playmaker.

Pick

Baltimore Ravens

Myles Murphy

Clemson · Edge · Junior

The Ravens' signing of Odell Beckham Jr. lessens the need to select a WR here, and they could use help along the DL. They certainly expect this Tiger to "Play like a Raven" right away.

Pick

Minnesota Vikings

Lukas Van Ness

Iowa · Edge · Sophomore (RS)

The Vikings would have loved to add a QB here, but are also excited to grab this Hawkeye and continue to improve a defense that struggled often in 2022. Van Ness will be put to good use quickly by new defensive coordinator Brian Flores.

Pick

Jacksonville Jaguars

O'Cyrus Torrence

Florida · OG · Senior

The Jags snag a top interior OL prospect from just down the road. Torrence dominated in the Sun Belt and the SEC. Now he gets busy protecting one of the top young QBs in the game.

Pick

New York Giants

Jordan Addison

USC · WR · Junior

The Giants continue to bolster their group of pass-catchers by adding a dart for Daniel Jones to target.

Pick

Dallas Cowboys

Michael Mayer

Notre Dame · TE · Junior

Is it as simple as Lose starting TE Dalton Schultz to Houston, replace him with the best all-around TE in the draft? Yes, and the Cowboys' offense continues to light up scoreboards.

Pick

Buffalo Bills

Brian Branch

Alabama · DB · Junior

I suspect that OT Anton Harrison from Oklahoma and a slot receiver (perhaps Josh Downs of North Carolina) will be discussed here, but with coach Sean McDermott taking over the defensive signal-calling, Branch's versatility gets the nod.

Pick

Cincinnati Bengals

Jahmyr Gibbs

Alabama · RB · Junior

The Bengals lost dependable RB Samaje Perine to Denver and are seemingly always on the lookout for explosive playmakers, which leads them to Gibbs, who reminds many of Saints runner Alvin Kamara. Mississippi State CB Emmanuel Forbes makes a lot of sense here, too.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Charles has lost it.  I put my wishlist in my sig and I still like Wright as the pick but it depends on how far they move down. I have thought LAC would be our target or hopefully RR and Co. trade partner and we still select Wright.  First and foremost, I think our first move in the draft is a trade down.  JMO.  Never know. :) 

• Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

What's your opinion on Musgrave if they trade back to the bottom of first, early second?

I woudn't trade up for him.  I think he'd be there at 47.   I'd be good with that pick at 47.

I'd prefer Darnell Washington or Sam Laporta if they are also there at 47.  

I am torn between Musgrave and Kraft.  But I think Musgrave goes higher because of his upside.

Musgrave is an ahtletic freak for his size.  High upside.  Big time catch radius, good at seperating especially on the 2nd level.  Can stretch the field and make big plays.     One of the best in this group as to stretching the field.  Highest wonderlic in this group.

Even though he's a big dude he's not the most physical player -- not a contested catches guy or YAC guy, so so as a blocker.    Needs to stay healthy and show some durability.

You are betting on big plays and high upside and hope he develops into a more physical player.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just saw that Sam Howell will be one of the three players featured at the team's draft party along with whomever is the first round pick.

Don't know if the business side of the team coordinates with the FO on this.  Because if they did it would give a window that they don't take a Qb in the first round.  It would be a bit weird for Howell and a new Qb to be side to side at the fan's team draft event.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's the wise thing to do.  Need to find out if he can overcome the mental hurdle of the injury.  In addition he will be very motivated to ball out in order to secure that second contract.  If he has a very good year, we can still sign him.  

• Like 2

Brad Spielberger (Covers Bears but is PFF) is responding to some stuff on Twitter. Bears fan said give Washington 9 for 16 and Young. He said that they value checks out (#55 overall draft pick comp with that trade) and he said that's about right, maybe a little higher. 

Sucks. I still think Young could be a superstar. I don't want to trade him. Because if he blows up this year you just Tag him. Still don't think we've seen his best. Would be a shame to trade him for a 2nd round pick. I hope we don't move him.

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, sebestian said:

It's the wise thing to do.  Need to find out if he can overcome the mental hurdle of the injury.  In addition he will be very motivated to ball out in order to secure that second contract.  If he has a very good year, we can still sign him.  

Agree. Finlay is speculating does this jack up their odds to pick edge.  My take is not really -- they are boxed in on edge regardless.  They are unlikely trading both.

I posted this earlier.   But I am doubting they do it.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/36289814/2023-nfl-draft-buzz-latest-rumors-notes-teams-picks-trades-qbs-first-round

Another team to watch for potential trades is the Washington Commanders. Edge rusher Montez Sweat is heading into his fifth-year option season and has yet to have his contract extended beyond 2023. Fellow edge rusher Chase Young still hasn't had his fifth-year option for 2024 exercised (the Commanders have until next week to decide whether to do it). Some wonder whether the Commanders will want to deal with a situation where, in 2024, Young is playing on his fifth-year option and Sweat on the franchise tag. So at some point, Washington might have to decide between those two players, and trading one of them could be the answer. -- Graziano

• Like 2