Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

9 hours ago, Jumbo said:

SIP is like the Bruce Lee of pasting multiple source Twitter, and other media, reports in a single post.

He's like the line in the song "Kung Fu Fighting", "their hands were fast as lightning."

angry martial arts GIF by 20th Century Fox

It would break your heart if you found out that SIP is actually 4 different people using the same username. So just pretend you never read this tidbit.

Note to others: Do NOT tell Jumbo about the SIP thing. Remember the first rule about SIP club 

• Haha 3

What round does the Commander draft team select the person we all go "Him, now?"  Not necessarily a bad selection, just seems to be a draft pick early.  Happens every year.  Some years, multiple picks.  Always a really good discussion during and post draft in this thread.  

I think second pick in - what ever round that is.

Also, for the record - I will be disappointed when they don't over-draft one of my favorites.:806:

Country Music Poker GIF by Jon Pardi

:229:The Rook

• Like 1

I’m already afraid that we draft Avila at 16 when we can’t find a trade down partner and all the OTs go early. And we bypass a good CB, RB, TE, DE, S, etc. to do it.

It will be explained in the presser because “he can play guard or center!” And he will start at LG for us, he’s athletic, and he’s actually ok.

But 2 years later everyone will be furious looking around at all the stud players we could have had at 16. But we took a guard.

• Thanks 1

I think Kincaid is my man crush this year.  I feel cb and o libe are so that we can get those in 2nd and let 3rd and be fine.  But Dalton can help give this offense all out needs.  EB would have a plethora of weapons to succeed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HoggLife said:

I think Kincaid is my man crush this year.  I feel cb and o libe are so that we can get those in 2nd and let 3rd and be fine.  But Dalton can help give this offense all out needs.  EB would have a plethora of weapons to succeed. 

In a massively deep TE class, and at a position that traditionally has a higher success rate in rounds 2-4, I’d love to draft a TE. Just not in R1. 

This FO has referenced the Return we got for the Olave trade and I think the idea would be similar. Turn a 5-8 spot trade down in R1 into 3 additional picks. 

doesn’t have to be all at once

But going from 16 to 24 and adding 56 … allows you to turn 56 into a pair of 3’s. Trade one of the 3’s for a later 3+4  And suddenly trading down from 16 to 24 nets you a 3, 3, 4.

and after the draft that will feeel nice. Just as it did to see us turn Olave into Dotson, BRob, Howell, etc  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HoggLife said:

Agreed, I wonder if he gets passed GB at #13

8 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Safety before R4 still feels like overkill. We drafted Percy Butler in the 4th last year. Based on Curl and Forrest, I think we can expect a solid jump from Butler in Year 2. 

not saying we couldn’t use another SAF/NCB type player. Just think it could be a bit later. 

You’re more likely to see a flex DB than a pure S, Quan Martin would be a nice pick. We also need an outside corner IMO.

Either way, we need more picks in the 2-5 round range. Trade back seems inevitable unless that can’t miss prospect we may have is still sat there at #16

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KDawg said:

In theory… yes. But he has made legitimately zero win now moves so far this off-season. He really seems to be playing a long game. Of course… that can change. But nothing they’ve done has been win now. Not sure why that mantra keeps being repeated.

And it wouldn't matter if we had a Gm who wasn't also the coach he'd be on just as hot a seat as the coach with new ownership coming in so he might be making "win now" moves.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bowhunter said:

It would break your heart if you found out that SIP is actually 4 different people using the same username. So just pretend you never read this tidbit.

Note to others: Do NOT tell Jumbo about the SIP thing. Remember the first rule about SIP club 

Men In Black II - Post Office Scene on Make a GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Rivera needs to win now. He won't be sacrificing present picks for the future unless the new owner gives him assurances about his job security which I highly doubt would happen.

Sorry, not to pick on you, but I find this utterly hilarious.  If Ron is in win now mode, then he’s royally screwed, and will be tossed out on his rear at the end of next season.  No coach goes into a must win season starting a 5th Round QB.  If Ron was really in win now mode, we’d be making a run at Rodgers, or Carr like the Jets and Saints did. 

No one in their right mind will have Washington as a contender, or even a playoff team next season.  As it stands right now, we’re going to finish last in the division, and we will miss the playoffs.  If Dan weren’t selling the team, it would be interesting to see what Ron and the FO would’ve done in a must win season.  The team sale is a big reason why we’ve had a fairly quiet offseason.  This is also the reason why we won’t go QB in Rd. 1.  If Snyder was still the owner, he might have given his blessing to trade up to get a QB, or throw money and picks to get Rodgers or Carr.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

Ron's approach to me looks as a play it medium style -- so far.  He hasn't pressed the accelerator with win now moves but also hasn't made really any aggressive future oriented moves either -- at least nothing so far.  A future oriented move would be for example trading one of the D lineman  like Denver did, SF did years back when they had similar predicaments.

Coming up from 16, they'd likely have to trade the farm to make that move for a QB.  Are Stroud, Levis, Richardson trade the farm type QBs?  It's possible that one would fall closer to their pick and they can do it by trading next years first and change -- sort of like the Bears move for Fields years back.  But speaking for myself that's cringe worthy.   

As for the draft, i do think they trade down and try to replicate their approach from last year -- and have somewhat of a need based approach.  I think the need base approach is somewhat driven by Dan considering this isn't a FA destination spot.  So as to the draft, players have no choice but to play here.  Looking forward to new times on that front.

Trying to think of win now prospects who IMO hit the ground running without needing much time to hit their stride:   Kincaid, Laporta, Witherspoon, D. Wright (maybe), Bergeron, Torrence, Branch, Campbell.  I'd say give or take 10 RBs in this class -- RB typically don't need much of a learning curve. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Are Stroud, Levis, Richardson trade the farm type QBs?

No for me. I'm for acquiring more draft capital for a move in next year's draft though I'd still keep tabs on Tune, DRT, or Malik in the later rounds and might pull the trigger on one of them but Tune would likely be the sole target. 

We really need to find a way to get some more 3,4,5 round picks.

I wonder how many first round picks we think there are in this draft. 15? 12?

We know they want to trade down but if you’re looking at the last guy on your board with a first round grade at 16, tough to trade down in that situation.

On the flip side, who is trying to trade up with us?  

57 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ron's approach to me looks as a play it medium style -- so far.  He hasn't pressed the accelerator with win now moves but also hasn't made really any aggressive future oriented moves either -- at least nothing so far.  A future oriented move would be for example trading one of the D lineman  like Denver did, SF did years back when they had similar predicaments.

Coming up from 16, they'd likely have to trade the farm to make that move for a QB.  Are Stroud, Levis, Richardson trade the farm type QBs?  It's possible that one would fall closer to their pick and they can do it by trading next years first and change -- sort of like the Bears move for Fields years back.  But speaking for myself that's cringe worthy.   

As for the draft, i do think they trade down and try to replicate their approach from last year -- and have somewhat of a need based approach.  I think the need base approach is somewhat driven by Dan considering this isn't a FA destination spot.  So as to the draft, players have no choice but to play here.  Looking forward to new times on that front.

Trying to think of win now prospects who IMO hit the ground running without needing much time to hit their stride:   Kincaid, Laporta, Witherspoon, D. Wright (maybe), Bergeron, Torrence, Branch, Campbell.  I'd say give or take 10 RBs in this class -- RB typically don't need much of a learning curve. 

Yeah, I'd be very uncomfortable trading up in this draft for a QB that isn't Bryce Young.  To me, he's the unquestioned best QB in the draft (size be damned).  Richardson is an intriguing prospect, but he'd have to fall to our spot before I would consider drafting him.  I don't really see the wow factor in Stroud or Levis, so I wouldn't draft these guys, unless they fall to the end of round 1 or the start of round 2.  For Ron, there's no sure fire QB prospect (other than Bryce Young) that I would look at as a franchise QB.  Richardson has that potential to be either a big time bust, that costs a GM his job, or he becomes some kind of Josh Allen/Cam Newton prospect that will have teams that pass on him kicking themselves 5 years from now.  It is tempting if he does fall into that 10-15 range.  My guess is that he doesn't drop past Seattle at #5. 

An interesting team to lookout for in the draft is Minnesota.  They're coming up on the end of Cousins' deal, and they need to plan ahead for the future after Cousins.  If Levis or Stroud fall to that 10-15 range, Minnesota might be tempted to draft either one, and get that future franchise QB.  Minnesota might be a prime trade partner for us, if Levis or Stroud (or both) drop to 16.

Edited by samy316
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Yeah, I'd be very uncomfortable trading up in this draft for a QB that isn't Bryce Young.  To me, he's the unquestioned best QB in the draft (size be damned).  Richardson is an intriguing prospect, but he'd have to fall to our spot before I would consider drafting him.  I don't really see the wow factor in Stroud or Levis, so I wouldn't draft these guys, unless they fall to the end of round 1 or the start of round 2.  For Ron, there's no sure fire QB prospect (other than Bryce Young) that I would look at as a franchise QB.  Richardson has that potential to be either a big time bust, that costs a GM his job, or he becomes some kind of Josh Allen/Cam Newton prospect that will have teams that pass on him kicking themselves 5 years from now.  It is tempting if he does fall into that 10-15 range.  My guess is that he doesn't drop past Seattle at #5. 

An interesting team to lookout for in the draft is Minnesota.  They're coming up on the end of Cousins' deal, and they need to plan ahead for the future after Cousins.  If Levis or Stroud fall to that 10-15 range, Minnesota might be tempted to draft either one, and get that future franchise QB.  Minnesota might be a prime trade partner for us, if Levis or Stroud (or both) drop to 16.

Would love to trade down with Minnesota and get a 2024 1st in the process. Could low key be a good pick I think theyre due to regress.

4 minutes ago, samy316 said:

This is a great point, and also look at who picks between us and Minnesota at 23 18,19,20- Lions, Bucs, Seahawks. Every one of them could snag a QB. Baltimore at 22 possibility too.

21 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

We really need to find a way to get some more 3,4,5 round picks.

I wonder how many first round picks we think there are in this draft. 15? 12?

We know they want to trade down but if you’re looking at the last guy on your board with a first round grade at 16, tough to trade down in that situation.

On the flip side, who is trying to trade up with us?  

I read somewhere yesterday a GM saying there arent even 15 1st round caliber players and this is one of the worst drafts in recent memory for high end talent.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Would love to trade down with Minnesota and get a 2024 1st in the process. Could low key be a good pick I think theyre due to regress.

I’d love a 2024 1st, but I could also see Vikings doing really well with no Aaron Rodgers to worry about. And Kirk never gets hurt, so I doubt they bottom out.

5 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

This is a great point, and also look at who picks between us and Minnesota at 23 18,19,20- Lions, Bucs, Seahawks. Every one of them could snag a QB. Baltimore at 22 possibility too.

Minnesota isn't trading up.  They have no 2nd rounder due to the Hockenson trade.  They'll stand pat, or most likely trade down.

6 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I’d love a 2024 1st, but I could also see Vikings doing really well with no Aaron Rodgers to worry about. And Kirk never gets hurt, so I doubt they bottom out.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Look at how they won games last year.  They might have been the luckiest team of all time, going 11-1 in one possession games.  That's unheard of.  When they did face good or great teams, they got stomped out (Cowboys, Packers, etc).  I have a feeling that the luck they had last year will run out this year, and that they will regress back to the mean.  They are actually a 9-8, 10-7 type of team, so I expect them to fall back to that 9-8 record next year.  I think the Lions will win the division next season.  They are better built than Minnesota, and they have a QB that is comparable to Cousins in talent.  Detroit's defense is MUCH better than Minnesota's defense.  I think they win the division running away.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Minnesota isn't trading up.  They have no 2nd rounder due to the Hockenson trade.  They'll stand pat, or most likely trade down.

Ohh yeah thats right. Yeah theyre pretty low on ammo then. They might be trading Cook though.