Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

My ideal realistic trade down partner would be the Bills for their late 1st, 2nd, and 4th(would settle for 5th). I could see them moving up for Robinson or a TE to get Allen another weapon. We should still be able to get a decent OL with a late 1st and the extra 2nd and 4th could net us quality CB/TE/LB/C.

I agree, Buffalo seems like a prime trade candidate for us. We could even possibly get their 1st next year along with their 1st this year? But I'd take the 2nd this year and the 4th. 

I'm usually so invested on a couple of guys or even positions by this point, but this year I don't really care. Getting that stupid week off for bull**** certainly cooled me off. Now with steve gone it's lost even more umph around here. That along with the team being called the commanders has cooled me off, too. The Dan sale is great and this will always be my favorite .500 team, but the recent predictability of our drafts takes some of the excitement away as well. I feel like if they don't follow the obvious pattern, they'll do something disappointing, like Mathis last year. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Murphy mentioned again, huh plus Van Ness. There is serious Edge consideration at 16 or a short fall from there.

Besides Bijan and maybe Gibbs, do you recall any RB names being brought up?

Can't wait for the tidbits coming!

Look, I'm all for adding a 3rd pass-rusher. I get wanting to add someone who could start in 2024 if one or both DEs walk. But come on. We have got to spend resources somewhere other than the DL.

If we drafted Van Ness or Murphy at #16, I will be extremely disappointed if Young or Sweat is not traded immediately for multiple Day 2 and 3 picks so that we can address some of our other needs, including a 3rd DE. Otherwise, god, what a ****show. I will not miss Rivera and Co. and their obsession with the DL and total OL malfeasance.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I get the vibe that not at 16.  But if they trade down it opens two possibilities.

A.  Extra picks and more freedom to pick outside of O line and CB

B.  If they trade down and see ridiculous value for a player they like they will take them

Keim has said he doesn't expect them to go edge in the first but later but he can't rule it out

This would be fine by me. I just don't want to use #16 on DE, or even CB for that matter, without creating additional draft capital.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

I still don't think we address CB or Safety at #16. This front office has never prioritized safety or CB with premier picks. Yes, we've signed CBs in free agency (Jackson, Fuller) so hard to say we don't prioritize it at all. But this FO has great success drafting mid-round safeties (Curl, Forrest, Reaves, Butler - TBD). I expect we will address safety depth with a draft pick in the mid-rounds. CB more likely in R2 or R3 due to the depth.

Now DL is different. I am really wishing away drafting a DE at #16. But I could see this FO doing just that. 

To me, unless Paris Johnson or Broderick Jones are there ... or if this team really values Skoronski as a LG or RT or Darnell Wright as a premier OT talent, that we end up trading down.

If Jones, Johnson, Skoronski or Wright are there at #16 ... and TBD if this FO thinks Wright is a sure-fire prospect, then that is the pick. Otherwise, I think we trade down, even just a few spots, to add some mid-round picks to address the secondary. 

32 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm usually so invested on a couple of guys or even positions by this point, but this year I don't really care. Getting that stupid week off for bull**** certainly cooled me off. Now with steve gone it's lost even more umph around here. That along with the team being called the commanders has cooled me off, too. The Dan sale is great and this will always be my favorite .500 team, but the recent predictability of our drafts takes some of the excitement away as well. I feel like if they don't follow the obvious pattern, they'll do something disappointing, like Mathis last year. 

Going Commando is gone?

30 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Buddy don’t lose excitement just as the roller coaster is slowly cresting the highest peak, ready to plunge. After all these years, it’s finally about to get fun again. Even if this draft is a predictable Rivera affair, next offseason is when the real fun begins and anything is possible. 

Also, Steve is now @Going Commando he hasn’t gone anywhere unless I missed him going out in blaze of glory this weekend lol 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The recent drafts have lost a great deal of fun or umph. Mainly it has been the predictability due the number needs they have going into the draft. Watching other teams select the best players or fun play makers in areas they are already strong wears on me after a while...why can't we do that? Sadly the answer is simple....too many freaking needs.

About steve this season, the Dawand passion was out of this world, all those descriptive long posts. Gotta love that. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Getting that stupid week off for bull**** certainly cooled me off. Now with steve gone it's lost even more umph around here. 

Speaking of stupid bull****, you best get your **** together cuz this post should get you another week off no matter how much you're liked or disliked by any number of staff or membership. You know this kind of blather should be put in a pm or the feedback/ tech support forum (where you're still responsible for how you word your issues)  and not jn a regular discussion thread. You want to wave your oppositional four year old flag instead of simply accepting responsibly for your own missteps that's your call. And you're even getting a break here, now. Find your big boy pants. 🙂

Steve got a week off for a rule 18 violation and the points from a previous violation, which usually we don't discuss in a thread, per rules, but sometimes we'll inform folks.

It's not hard stuff unless people want to make it hard and we routinely give tolerance. 

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Overshown and Mingo are two of my top day 3 guys. Oh well.

Musgrave I was really high on, despite his injuries last year. I love a pedigree, but there was a report that he was lazy.

Wasn't a report, I posted here that Logan Paulsen said he heard someone questioning his work ethic. 

Guessing it wasn't this team though if he's on their radar so I gather its his Bears scout friend.

I watched an interview of him, comes off like an articulate thoughtful dude.  Had the highest Wonderlic score about these TEs.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Mod edit complaint on the "horrible moderating" here and the poster's  "great anger" over a 48 hr penalty received some time ago for a basic rule violation (and there was another that he didn't even get any time off for) followed by even more defiant posturing in the edited post where he stated to go ahead and ban him for posting it. 

We do have a feedback thread in another forum, or you can pm any mod with your complaints about their actions, just keep in mind you're still going to be accountable for how you address the matter.

No good reason for people to make this a suicide by mod thread. Let's talk draft.

• Like 1

Media wise, interesting how Hooker has come out of nowhere, relatively, in recent days to be mentioned in so much media. Seems like this happens every year though. Valid discussion aside, it's like the media finally gets bored of talking about the same four or five top qbs each year and just looks for alternative storylines.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Media wise, interesting how Hooker has come out of nowhere, relatively, in recent days to be mentioned in so much media. Seems like this happens every year though. Valid discussion aside, it's like the media finally gets bored of talking about the same four or five top qbs each year and just looks for alternative storylines.

With QBs in particular this happens. 

Later in the process.  I recall one report that Howell could sneak into the late first round.  The draft media was all over the place on Malik Willis but some said he could go top 10.

As for Hooker, I don't know what to make of it.

Agents are often sources of rumors.  So it behooves the agent of said player to say teams are all over the players they represent -- and for someone like Hooker it gives the media some good plot lines.  Do the Vikings trade Kirk?  Do the Ravens move on from Lamar.  Are the Commanders really serious about Howell?  Is Levis really better than Hooker or is Hooker the better player?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Branch at 16 would be a sneaky awesome pick for us.

AR is the only QB I'd draft this year TBH. And only if I didn't have to start him.

I fell into the Malik Willis fascination camp last year and have been trying not to do the same with AR but I agree with you. I'm a sucker for the "physical freak/mutant" with "awesome potential but still raw" player at almost any position even though time and multiple samples have shown they don't come to fruition very often. 

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Branch at 16 would be a sneaky awesome pick for us.

AR is the only QB I'd draft this year TBH. And only if I didn't have to start him.

If we were a team without the list of holes, Branch is a perfect fit!

I don't want a QB until at least the 5th round, not loving this class and also...doesn't fit with all the more pressing needs in my eyes

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Pace isn't a reach in the early 3rd round and fulfills a need at LB and adds to potential blitz/rush possibilities OC's would need to account for

Edited by DWinzit

1 minute ago, Jumbo said:

I fell into the Malik Willis fascination camp last year and have been trying not to do the same with AR but I agree with you. I'm a sucker for the "physical freak/mutant" with "awesome potential but still raw" player at almost any position even though time and multiple samples have shown they don't come into fruition very often. 

I liked Howell and Ridder last year.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

I think this is why it feels like we're overrating a lot of these guys and the position groups in the draft. Oh 'X' number of TE's in the 1st round? Well, maybe because the back half of the 1st round doesn't have more talent than picks in the 30's or 40's.

I really want a trade down. I'd take a big trade down too. #16 for both the Jets picks in the 40's? Yup.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

If we were a team without the list of holes, Branch is a perfect fit!

I don't want a QB until at least the 5th round, not loving this class and also...doesn't fit with all the more pressing needs in my eyes

Pace isn't a reach in the 3rd round and fulfills a need at LB and adds to potential blitz/rush possibilities OC's would need to account for

An above average slot corner is an absolute need. A safety to replace Curl if he wants too much is a need. A buffalo nickle type is a need as well.

That's all Branch. That might be my top pick at 16 now.

I know he's a board favorite, but Pace is a reach before day 3.

Edited by Koolblue13
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

I fell into the Malik Willis fascination camp last year and have been trying not to do the same with AR but I agree with you. I'm a sucker for the "physical freak/mutant" with "awesome potential but still raw" player at almost any position even though time and multiple samples have shown they don't come to fruition very often. 

Same. I could have written this post lol. 

In our defense (this year), I think the consensus is that Richardson is much more legit in that category than Malik Willis turned out to be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Conn said:

Same. I could have written this post lol. 

In our defense (this year), I think the consensus is that Richardson is much more legit in that category than Malik Willis turned out to be.

I think AR is more physical. I think Hurts is the prototypical running QB, because he's like Cam and can play physical. The Lamar, RG3 types will never stay healthy enough. It only takes one good shot. I think AR can be that guy.

Willis, you had to cover deep because of his arm, so you couldn't load the box. Deep ball (not accurate though) and the running ability were solid. That's it. 

• Like 2

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

An above average slot corner is an absolute need. A safety to replace Curl if he wants too much is a need. A buffalo nickle type is a need as well.

That's all Branch. That might be my top pick at 16 now.

Defense fell off when Curl wasn't there. He's too versatile and helps us in too many different coverages for us to let him walk. He's the #1 FA priority in 2024, above Sweat. I don't know what his contract would look like, but I'd guess $14 million a year is reasonable for him.

• Like 2