Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Unofficial "Elon Musk trying to "Save Everyone" from Themselves (except his Step-Sister)" Thread...

Renegade7

This is comical. At a startup with options and an exit strategy people are willing to make a bet and take a little hard work while the right resource levels are worked out. But with a privately held company with thousands of employees run by a giant douchebag? Anyone with talent is looking for a better gig.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Agree to work hard or leave 😱😱😱😱😱

You can mock it but there’s so many problems with this and ultimately it ends with him losing his best people. 

i told you all during Covid, when we were discussing people reversing WFH, that it would only happen if you let it. The tech sector had been doing it for years beforehand and it was fine. A lot of the best people are remote working living in the same spot jumping jobs. 

The way he’s doing it is completely offensive. It’s bullying. It’s being a dick because you can and want to be one. 

He’s also enforcing draconian working conditions. Sure many were in the office and there was an expansion but for many wfh was a way of life before Covid. 

He’s going to lose talent. 

Given how things have gone that seems like not a problem he can afford. Seems reckless. Like basically everything else he’s done here. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tshile said:

You can mock it but there’s so many problems with this and ultimately it ends with him losing his best people. 

i told you all during Covid, when we were discussing people reversing WFH, that it would only happen if you let it. The tech sector had been doing it for years beforehand and it was fine. A lot of the best people are remote working living in the same spot jumping jobs. 

The way he’s doing it is completely offensive. It’s bullying. It’s being a dick because you can and want to be one. 

He’s also enforcing draconian working conditions. Sure many were in the office and there was an expansion but for many wfh was a way of life before Covid. 

He’s going to lose talent. 

Given how things have gone that seems like not a problem he can afford. Seems reckless. Like basically everything else he’s done here. 

I don’t necessarily disagree with the move costing him some talent, but I am a little amused by the idea that a boss telling his employees to agree to work hard is draconian. World we live in, bosses responsibility to adjust, but what are we becoming, Europe?

I mean, I know people love to make the “pick yourself up by your bootstraps” joke around here, but don’t you think people should at the very least agree to put their boots on?

I have a feeling that Facebook and Amazon are also firing people who don’t agree to work hard, but they just aren’t being quite as transparent about it.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

It’s pretty presumptuous to say they weren’t working hard and needed to be told to work harder. 

and that working from home is somehow a problem so that perk is gone. 

if you think being an asshole to people that are important to your organization in a competitive market is a good strategy then 🤷‍♂️ 

I suppose you could argue the sector layoffs have people looking for jobs but that’s likely not the best I’m saying you’ll lose and also the rep in the industry is total garbage now. 

if you had any options why would you choose to go there right now?

• Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I don’t necessarily disagree with the move costing him some talent, but I am a little amused by the idea that a boss telling his employees to agree to work hard is draconian. World we live in, bosses responsibility to adjust, but what are we becoming, Europe?

What's your definition of working hard? Is it working 40 hours and getting your projects completed, or is it expecting your employees to sleep in the office and work 60 hours a week? Because, It sounds to me like he wants people to commit to working over 40 hours without an additional benefit to the worker. That's ****ed up and people shouldn't sign on to that. 

Also, in my experience peoples work improves when you treat them respectfully and don't offer threats. You offer threats you get the minimum to complete the project and stay employed. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

8 minutes ago, GoCommiesGo said:

What's your definition of working hard? Is it working 40 hours and getting your projects completed, or is it expecting your employees to sleep in the office and work 60 hours a week? Because, It sounds to me like he wants people to commit to working over 40 hours without an additional benefit to the worker. That's ****ed up and people shouldn't sign on to that. 

Also, in my experience peoples work improves when you treat them respectfully and don't offer threats. You offer threats you get the minimum to complete the project and stay employed. 

Well that right there's why you're not a billionaire! yukyukyuk

I swear to doG, I am loving these new writers they hired for Season 2022 of As The World Burns. I would have never thought of having MEMEMElon fanboys coming out of the ground like locusts.

I am all a'tremble at the thought of what they have dreamed up for the season finale.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GoCommiesGo said:

Because, It sounds to me like he wants people to commit to working over 40 hours without an additional benefit to the worker. That's ****ed up and people shouldn't sign on to that. 

this is my personal opinion, based on experience, but the “additional benefit” is hardly worth it. 

look I work over 40 hours a week with no additional benefit (technically - having a reputation for doing what it takes is its own benefit when you work for/with the right people) but I do so with the understanding that I generally work what is required to get the job done and generally that’s not over 40 hours a week. For me, my situation works out. 

but the people that get additional benefits - that I’ve seen - it isn’t worth it. You only get one crack at this life and no one’s figured out how to get younger yet so… you want to slave away at a desk and miss time with the family? To each their own I suppose. 

13 minutes ago, GoCommiesGo said:

Also, in my experience peoples work improves when you treat them respectfully and don't offer threats. You offer threats you get the minimum to complete the project and stay employed

People who have options don’t work in hostile work environments unless they’re a slave to money and the money is just that good. 

and the reputation musk has bestowed on twitter is that working there means zero job security so…

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

you want to slave away at a desk and miss time with the family? To each their own I suppose. 

It also depends on your future plans though.  I gladly spent 20 years killing myself at work so that when I hit 40, I don't have to work if I don't want.  And obviously I didn't get "additional benefits" except for an early retirement. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tshile said:

you want to slave away at a desk and miss time with the family? To each their own I suppose. 

15 minutes ago, tshile said:

People who have options don’t work in hostile work environments unless they’re a slave to money and the money is just that good.

It’s not ‘slaving away’ if the underlying message is ‘paying your dues’. 🙂 It’s all about the hustle, otherwise you’re a lazy entitled spoiled selfish POS - or any number of versions of that. It’s both evil and brilliant. 😂

As a healthcare worker that deals with the other side of the outcome (reckoning of one’s health), it’s really opened my eyes about our relationship with work. 

Edited by Die Hard
  • Thumb up 1

Anyone that doesnt understand that establishing a negatively reenforced workplace environment that demands "hardcore" behavior from its employees will ultimately cost the workplace talent, isn't the latter.

6 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

I'm in a position at this point in life where I have an ever growing list of humans I'd like to enroll in the Torquemada School of Behavioral Modification. 

Do I get the in-pain or out-of-pain tuition rates?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Work smart(er), not hard(er).

You'd think an "engineer" like Musk would know that.

Yeah that's one of the interesting and most idiotic things about this whole deal. Not only is forcing (via direct threat, no less) your people to work 60-70+ hours per week immoral and a great way to make sure nobody wants to work for you, but science says it doesn't ****ing work.

There have been many studies that show there's a maximum amount of focused work (actual work, not just being busy with dumb ****) that a person can do in a day, and that beyond this amount you have extremely diminishing returns because you get way less work done and what you do finish has way more errors and is just generally of ****tier quality. Add to that the documented health risks from extreme work hours and it's basically a lose/lose.

And that's not even getting into the whole issue of trying to "multitask" (trying...the human brain can't actually multitask) and it's proven ability to make you get less done and make your work of worse quality, while making you feel like you're super productive.

But what would science know? Elon Musk should be the true source of all knowledge.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

45 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

It also depends on your future plans though.  I gladly spent 20 years killing myself at work so that when I hit 40, I don't have to work if I don't want.  And obviously I didn't get "additional benefits" except for an early retirement. 

I agree with this, but early retirement with a defined pension is a definite additional benefit. That tradeoff is worth it to a lot of people. 

56 minutes ago, tshile said:

this is my personal opinion, based on experience, but the “additional benefit” is hardly worth it. 

look I work over 40 hours a week with no additional benefit (technically - having a reputation for doing what it takes is its own benefit when you work for/with the right people) but I do so with the understanding that I generally work what is required to get the job done and generally that’s not over 40 hours a week. For me, my situation works out. 

but the people that get additional benefits - that I’ve seen - it isn’t worth it. You only get one crack at this life and no one’s figured out how to get younger yet so… you want to slave away at a desk and miss time with the family? To each their own I suppose. 

I can't agree with this more. Before I worked for the fed, I worked as the CFO of a small business. I worked 60 hours a week minimum, I made more but saw my family and friends less. I took three months of leave to help with my FIL when he had pancreatic cancer. I realized that working for someone else and missing time was stupid. You get one run and **** that if I'm killing myself for someone else. 

and the reputation musk has bestowed on twitter is that working there means zero job security so…

I'm interested to see how this shakes out for Twitter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoCommiesGo said:

I agree with this, but early retirement with a defined pension is a definite additional benefit. That tradeoff is worth it to a lot of people. 

Yup.  And after 9/11, the military would take just about anyone.  Those that signed up and stuck it out are retiring now.  So it was an option available to most.

5 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

Yup.  And after 9/11, the military would take just about anyone.  Those that signed up and stuck it out are retiring now.  So it was an option available to most.

It was, and for the folks that stuck it out it was the cost to benefit for them. But that's what I meant when talking about an additional benefit for the work. 

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Yeah, talking about "Gattaca" babies and whatnot.  Looking at the two in that photo though, I don't think they look particularly genetically superior.  And WTF with naming your children Torsten, Octavian, and Titan Invictus?

Edited by China
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Like Elon Musk, so not Elon Musk? But we bring his name into for kicks…???

But, also would you allow your kids DNA to be modified to remove genetic dispositions for cancer/Alzheimer’s/other genetic defects? That would make them genetically superior. For a different topic I guess.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Thumb up 1