Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Inflation Or Price Gouging?

No Nonsense

4 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

My rent is going up $120/month starting right now.  My bills are creeping up slowly...gas...

Everything is more expensive besides Bazooka Joe single pieces.

Thankfully my rent is going up $25/month in limited income apartment complex. Just signed another lease.

6 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Interested, why do you understand a 4 dollar increase?

Everything I bought today was significantly higher priced.  Is the bar set at x2 the amount, to be suspicious?

Reckon you're talking about companies being greedy here.  Sorry, not much time to read thru the thread.

My hunch is inflation due to whatever the ****.

Going from $20-$24 is one thing, but if it went from $20-$40 over night is another. I still remember a couple of years ago when the pandemic first hit. A 5LB roll of ground chuck went from around $12.50 to $25 over night. I called two different Walmart’s to confirm that was the right price. If it was a few dollars, I probably wouldn’t have even noticed or cared. 

1 minute ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

They softened me up with that a couple years ago, then did it again, then did it again, now they hit me with this.  $200 more than I was paying 3 years ago.

Yep, $25/month increase every year. I'm up $100/month than when I moved in.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, No Nonsense said:

Going from $20-$24 is one thing, but if it went from $20-$40 over night is another. I still remember a couple of years ago when the pandemic first hit. A 5LB roll of ground chuck went from around $12.50 to $25 over night. I called two different Walmart’s to confirm that was the right price. If it was a few dollars, I probably wouldn’t have even noticed or cared. 

Hmm, I don't remember that.  I got beef chuck often.  Maybe it's because I'm in the midwest.  I did notice slight increases in price to everything...but it seems like everything under the sun got bumped.

Like...last week.

1 minute ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Hmm, I don't remember that.  I got beef chuck often.  Maybe it's because I'm in the midwest.  I did notice slight increases in price to everything...but it seems like everything under the sun got bumped.

Like...last week.

It could be a location thing. I’m in Western New York. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

When an apartment complex did that to me, I enjoyed asking them how the extra money they were charging me was increasing the quality of my life.  They didn't know what to say.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

When an apartment complex did that to me, I enjoyed asking them how the extra money they were charging me was increasing the quality of my life.  They didn't know what to say.  

I'm sure they enjoyed charging you more anyways. 😜

Theres too strong a correlation of certain companies talking about price hikes along with simultaneous record profits to not want a wholesale investigation into our economy and multiple sectors on this issue with charges on the table. 

Sicking the FTC on big oil isn't enough, we are totally being f'd with as consumers right now.  I don't support raising prices to maintain profit margins so a company's stocks don't drop too hard because of quarterly reports, but this is even further then that.

This...this is thinking no one will either figure out this is more price gouging then inflation, or even try to stop them.

The dems have to show more backbone in this issue and stop *****-footing around like they are this Jan 6 investigation, they are running out of time to do anything but talk about it.

Tick tock. Tick Tick.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, No Nonsense said:

Almost instantly when the pandemic hit, grocery store prices ballooned. Not by a little, but on meat, 100%. I was just in Walmart and was looking at the price of baby back ribs. They were over $20 plus per rib. I do a lot of BBQing and the price of baby backs at Walmart usually run between $8-$10.

Is the demand THAT high or are retailers like Walmart are taking advantage of a situation? 

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I haven’t raised the rents on any of my properties in two years. I kinda like the tenents because they take care of the houses….  Maybe try to rent from an individual instead of Remax or some company. 

It’s hard to find good renters. I’m relatively new to renting real estate but my first tenets were horrible. They turned out to be horders and just up and left leaving trash that took up the entire yard to clear out.

I defiantly put more value on a good tenet over trying to squeeze them for an extra 25/mo each year…

32 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Theres too strong a correlation of certain companies talking about price hikes along with simultaneous record profits to not want a wholesale investigation into our economy and multiple sectors on this issue with charges on the table. 

Sicking the FTC on big oil isn't enough, we are totally being f'd with as consumers right now.  I don't support raising prices to maintain profit margins so a company's stocks don't drop too hard because of quarterly reports, but this is even further then that.

This...this is thinking no one will either figure out this is more price gouging then inflation, or even try to stop them.

The dems have to show more backbone in this issue and stop *****-footing around like they are this Jan 6 investigation, they are running out of time to do anything but talk about it.

Tick tock. Tick Tick.

This is the democrats curse. They like to hear to many voices, or something. So it ends up being endless chatter….

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Thumb up 1

On the one hand I understand anger over Democratic inaction.  On the other, I am perplexed why this would drive people to vote for Republicans.  This perfectly illustrates why lack of true political choice hurts the country. And why when people talk about Trump as a great President it was this type of middleground populism that he missed out on.  He could have turned on the GOP corporate BS machine like Sean Michaels on Marty Janetty and become a truly transformative President.  Instead he settled to selling his soul to right wing populism.  And he would still be President if he fought for the middle.. 

This is why he's not smart.... 

19 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Zoom Zoom, mother****er!

Mercedes buddy of mine sold his only GWagen over the weekend…FOR $35K OVER STICKER.  Congrats to @CousinsCowgirl84on her new Benz, I guess!

#taxtheonepercent

edit: It was actually $55K over sticker.  $175K msrp $230k purchase price before taxes and fees.

Edited by TradeTheBeal!
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Mercedes buddy of mine sold his only GWagen over the weekend…FOR $35K OVER STICKER.  Congrats to @CousinsCowgirl84on her new Benz, I guess!

#taxtheonepercent

edit: It was actually $55K over sticker.  $175K msrp $230k purchase price before taxes and fees.

Mercedes? Ewwww. No! Only Tesla.

I might consider lucid if they ever come up with a design that isn’t ugly af.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

11 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Tick tock. Tick Tick.

There's not much they can do (quickly).  What do you want a full scale investigation to show/find?  What are they going to investigate?  No judge is going to give you a search warrant because a company raised their prices when they had high profits.  That isn't enough evidence to over come the 4th amendment.

They can raise prices so they are.  That's not illegal.  

Most of the relevant industries aren't monopolies given the current legal and historical definitions (though they might operate essentially like that).  Unless a whole bunch of whistle blowers start coming out with evidence of collusion, there's not really much the Democrats can do (quickly).

(We have a longer term problem (that has been a problem) that our economy and system favors bigger businesses which allows a few companies to dominate markets and creates situations that while not legally monopolies they are heavily monopolistic, competition is decreased, and hurts the consumer.  What we need is a whole net set of laws that will help tilt the competition back towards small(er) businesses, but that's not something that's coming and wouldn't fix the problem right away.  We need a to big to fail tax with the money going to low interest loans to small companies.  We need to reduce our protection of bigger companies in terms of patents and copy rights protections.  And a few other things.  But there isn't going to be widespread support to do those things.)

Edited by PeterMP

7 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Mercedes? Ewwww. No! Only Tesla.

I might consider lucid if they ever come up with a design that isn’t ugly af.

Tesla exterior styling is terrible, but it does result in a useful interior.  I’m thinking of getting a Rivian…so dope!

DA25BF86-554D-40D8-9899-7B16F4A94B21.jpeg