Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Inflation Or Price Gouging?

No Nonsense

Almost instantly when the pandemic hit, grocery store prices ballooned. Not by a little, but on meat, 100%. I was just in Walmart and was looking at the price of baby back ribs. They were over $20 plus per rib. I do a lot of BBQing and the price of baby backs at Walmart usually run between $8-$10.

Is the demand THAT high or are retailers like Walmart are taking advantage of a situation? 

• Like 1

Costs have gone up….. but consumers don’t know how much. So you Jack it up even higher and no one knows the difference.

But when so many companies are reporting record profits….. it’s pretty telling.

Apparently it hasn’t reached a threshold where it’s affected most peoples consuming habits. So…..

• Thumb up 2

27 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

Almost instantly when the pandemic hit, grocery store prices ballooned. Not by a little, but on meat, 100%. I was just in Walmart and was looking at the price of baby back ribs. They were over $20 plus per rib. I do a lot of BBQing and the price of baby backs at Walmart usually run between $8-$10.

Is the demand THAT high or are retailers like Walmart are taking advantage of a situation? 

Don’t buy ribs. Might be a good time to go vegan.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb down 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

I can’t speak to the US, but in western Canadian provinces that raise the cattle, there was a huge drought/famine last summer/fall

that made it impossible to feed all the cattle. It decimated the industry. I’m not saying that’s the only reason…but at least one of them.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Walmart has decent meat.

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't even know where to start with this.  There are so many jokes here I can't pick just one.

OK…What have you heard because I’ve bought meat from Walmart for many years with absolutely no issues. 

1 minute ago, No Nonsense said:

OK…What have you heard because I’ve bought meat from Walmart for many years with absolutely no issues. 

I've heard that the quality isn't the best.  Especially when it comes to beef.  I can't say anything about the ribs, but if you're having good luck with the ribs, more power to you.

9 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Beyond meat chicken tenders are pretty much the awful. No amount of Frank's Red Hot sauce can save them. 

Try the Quorn.  Mycoprotiens!  In my move to vegetarian this was my chicken go-to and I've made everything from vegetarian pulled chicken to vegetarian chicken fajitas with it.  As long as you're not allergic and don't overcook it, fermented shrooms for the win.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unless you’re buying form a high end meat market or a Whole Foods type of store, I can’t imagine ribs being any better than what you get at Walmart. Some Walmart’s even sell USDA Prime steak. I’ve gotten them and they’re good. I’ve gotten meat from meat markets and it wasn’t THAT much of a difference. 

• Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

I can understand a few dollars more, but a 100% or more jump in price is a little suspicious. 

Interested, why do you understand a 4 dollar increase?

Everything I bought today was significantly higher priced.  Is the bar set at x2 the amount, to be suspicious?

Reckon you're talking about companies being greedy here.  Sorry, not much time to read thru the thread.

My hunch is inflation due to whatever the ****.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Greed, it's mostly greed. Some supply chain issues etc.

When you have about $200/month in your food budget, you notice food prices. All meat prices are up a good amount. I can't afford beef at all, not even hamburger. And I cook everything, I don't eat out, maybe an In-n-Out single cheeseburger once a month that's less than $4. I started going to local food pantries once a month for staples. And with diabetes I'm not supposed to eat filler type foods like rice, pasta, and potatoes but those are fast becoming half of my food consumed.

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1