Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Smith smacks Chris Rock at the Oscars

Cooked Crack

9 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

By that means, they should be critical of Chris Rocks demeaning jokes too, right? Decency..huh. 

Not that I regularly watch these things, but I thought it was common knowledge that it works like a roast - where everyone is eligible to be roasted.

Folks say terrible things, sometimes funny - sometimes not, in this capacity.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Not that I regularly watch these things, but I thought it was common knowledge that it works like a roast - where everyone is eligible to be roasted.

Ricky Gervais is seen as an awards show host extraordinaire for this very reason lol...

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Chris may be a chump, but that’s not the scenario I’d use to draw that conclusion.  Smith is clearly the chump for being so butthurt that he couldn’t contain his emotions  and made an absolute fool of himself.  

I think it's even worse than that, IMO.  Cuz his initial reaction didn't seem to be butthurt at all. He laughed at the joke.  But Jada wasnt laughing and clearly was pissed.  Only then did Will decide he had to do something.  He overcompensated his original screw up by, at minimum, not being offended enough at the start.  

Cuz if you watch it again, Rock makes the joke and Will laughs.  Jada was pissed, Will probably knows he F'd up and springs into action.  But he goes over the top with it.  And like you say, made a fool of himself.  He coulda menacingly said something and then gone backstage and done the same thing.  Still wouldn't have been good, but he coulda avoided all the hysteria and negativity he's got now.  Cuz nobody cares that he won that Oscar now.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Will Smith also won Best Actor the same night?

C'mon, **** was staged. 

Ya'll are ridiculous. Oscars needs viewers and put out a WWE show. 

(there's zero chance I'd ever believe that wasn't staged btw) 

Well it does look like he's leaning into it and bracing for the hit well in advance lol...

Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 7.39.42 AM.jpg

Just need to somehow tie it to the vaccine...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Still wouldn't have been good, but he coulda avoided all the hysteria and negativity he's got now.  Cuz nobody cares that he won that Oscar now.

That's not how publicity works. 

No one cares about the Oscars or who wins anymore and no one watches it. 

The entire planet is watching him smack Chris Rock on stage and there's a million memes on everyone's social media within minutes. 

(the ON STAGE part is key btw) 

6 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Well it does look like he's leaning into it and bracing for the hit well in advance lol...

Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 7.39.42 AM.jpg

Just need to somehow tie it to the vaccine...

Liberal Hollywood will do anything, and I mean anything, to take the media’s attention away from Hunter Biden’s laptop.

• Haha 9

7 minutes ago, Mooka said:

The entire planet is watching him smack Chris Rock on stage and there's a million memes on everyone's social media within minutes. 

there is no way this was staged or that Will would ruin the greatest night of his acting career with this stunt to help Oscar ratings. 

that’s absurd 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It’s the equivalent of going to a standup comedy show. They’re going to roast people in the front rows and in Hollywood’s case, anyone famous they know is there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

there is no way this was staged or that Will would ruin the greatest night of his acting career with this stunt to help Oscar ratings. 

that’s absurd 

There's no way this was staged....

You mean the thing that happened.... ON STAGE?

:ols:

I'm just messing with ya'll. I really don't care if it was staged or not, nor would I ever believe that wasn't staged. Its dumb Hollywood **** for fun. 

19 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Cuz if you watch it again, Rock makes the joke and Will laughs.  

I've seen enough roasts to be able to tell when someone is trying to play along versus genuinely laughing.

I'm trying to give Will benefit of the doubt on at least that (not defending his actions as a whole), because this assumption puts a very different spin on these events.  All we got is what we saw and heard, that is Will's fault concerning perception vs reality.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mooka said:

But publicity is only good if it helps your career.  A) they don't need it, and B ) nothing beneficial comes out of this for either one of them.  The adage "all publicity is good publicity" isn't an actual thing.  There's definitely bad publicity.  Why do you think Will's publicist was in his ear every 5 minutes afterwards?  Telling him how awesome this is gonna be?  lol

Millions of viewers isnt "nobody watches it".

I still think the years of jokes has more to do with it than this single, specific joke. Right or wrong, I just think Smith had had enough of it. 

i, personally, would think the answer is to not attend a show where you know your family will be picked on. It doesn’t matter if he was nominated - if you’re to the point where you’re willing to smack a comedian for making fun of your family while he’s hosting an awards show where it’s accepted that the job is to make fun of the guests, then, don’t go anymore. 

i also think the idea Rock leaned in or whatever to be dumb. I’m guessing he was just sort of dumbfounded smith came on stage. Was probably expecting something funny or whatever to happen, and was legit surprised he got smacked across the face. 

I’m also not buying this he laughed then saw she was upset. I think it’s reasonable that once you see the comedian as focused on you, you just sort of out up a fake smile/laugh while thinking “great where’s this going…” we watch trump laugh at being picked on too - but does anyone think he was anything other than seething underneath?

I generally think comedians get to skate by with the “it’s just a joke” thing waaaaay to easily. It’s not a secret the best jokes have just enough truth to them. And this particular family has been the butt of many jokes - for a reason. Obviously smith had had enough of it. 

Anyone who thinks that was a skit sucks at reading people. Smith clearly wanted to rip his head off. Rick was clearly shook especially when he said “I will…” to the second demand that he keep smiths wife’s name out of his mouth. 

🤷‍♂️ on the scale of reasons someone hit someone, just seen a hell of a lot worse or more petty. Maybe I’m desensitized to it. But it all seems to make obvious sense to me. I find it odd so many are struggling with it. 

general rules of thumb: don’t put your hands on someone else, don’t go after another dudes wife/gf/kids. 

If you do, look out. 

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

I look forward to Chris Rock mocking Liza Minelli next. 

I think you are taking this way too far. Rock isn’t out here blasting her medical condition. Will acted like a chump. The joke, it sucked but it wasn’t super egregious or directly making fun of her. He merely noted two hair styles of two women that were beautiful and wore shaved heads. That there is a medical reason for Jada’s hair doesn’t make the joke somehow off limits. She’s considered one of the most beautiful people around. It’s not like he’s making fun of her being in a wheelchair or the elephant man’s looks etc. she has hair loss. 

Either way, it doesn’t excuse rushing the stage and slapping someone. Is this really how people want everyone to respond? This how you want your kids responding if someone says something about your mom? Not saying you, just in general

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, gbear said:

I thought my wife's reaction was completely different from what I see in the media and on this board, but probably right on. She asked how Chris Rock (who did a whole show on Black womens' hair and what it means culturally) could think it OK to joke about another Black woman's hair, especially one with a medical condition causing it.  Check out Good Hair (HBO special hosted by Chris Rock), and you may get better idea why jokes about a black woman's hair are a bad idea.  It is worth watching to get a better idea if you don't know the culture and history behind Black women's hair styles. 

I wonder how many posting on here about how crazy it is to think they would be upset by jokes about it understand how much of a Black woman's social identity is tied up in their hair.  There may be more of a push now for natural hair looks, but that is very recent and not how that generation grew up.

Should he have hit him? No.  Should Chris Rock have known better? Yes.

This was exactly my wife’s reaction. 

I feel like it’s childish and it explains why his son acts the way he does (but has no problems with his friends smashing his moms guts). 

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I've seen enough roasts to be able to tell when someone is trying to play along versus genuinely laughing.

I'm trying to give Will benefit of the doubt on at least that (not defending his actions as a whole), because this assumption puts a very different spin on these events.  All we got is what we saw and heard, that is Will's fault concerning perception vs reality.

I dunno man, I think @justice98 is on to something here.

Will is at least pretending to be genuinely laughing while Jada clearly took it very personal and was pissed off.  It definitely looks like he was trying to make up for the fact that she was offended by a joke he took on the chin, so he went and tried to make up for it, only making the situation much worse.

1 minute ago, tshile said:

And this particular family has been the butt of many jokes - for a reason. Obviously smith had had enough of it. 

this feels more to me like Will Smith needing to stand up and feel big after being laughed at and mocked relentlessly for being weak after his wife very publicly stepped out on him. Think that finally boiled over and he had enough and had a chance to stand up for her so he took something pretty harmless all things considered and overreacted. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yeah, by last night's standards, Ricky Gervais would have been murdered five years ago.

• Haha 3