Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

Again, it takes two to make a deal. Who says Carter wants to be here?

Yep, key point here, both sides need to make that deal. I’m sure earlier in this thread it was reported Carter was after 5/6mil per year, not happening here irrespective of what he gets.

On Terry Mclaurin, we now have some parameters to work against. Should be a simple set of events from here. Make an offer at market value if you want to retain him. Either he and his agent accept or they don’t. If they refuse, do something proactive about it....pre draft...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The counter point to this is they found Carter, they have a number for him, he wants a bigger number, and they believe they can find the next Carter after the draft (or maybe during) if he wants more than they are willing to spend.  

What's the number he wants versus what we offered?  In the context of Flowers contract being cut, I'm not sure how much of this is about "reasonable contracts".

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

A good and competent FO should be able to find a punt/kick returner who is competent in every off-season, and pay them basically the minimum.  I am willing to bet money they have their eyes on at least a few guys they can target and would feel good about, either in FA or the draft, if Carter gets more than they are willing to spend on a kick/punt returner.

Killing me, man, we aren't the Patriots so we shouldn't talk about if we did what they do when we never do. Huge reason why we've been having this problem for years now and i wont give this FO that same level of benefit of the doubt regarding "just replacing players". 

Couple people they thought they could jus replace and live without in the secondary alone last offseason, and we all saw how that went last year. 😒

You and @Conn are saying the same thing, other teams figure this out, why cant we?  Havent we all been asking that same question in general for like 30 years now?

Flowers is still currently an unpaid FA and we replaced him with a better player on a cheaper multi-year contract—how is bringing him up a point against the FO’s grasp of what a reasonable contract for a journeyman is? 

• Like 5

This is an article pre-2021, but it’s a good one IMO.  Lots of analytics/stats as well as some film stuff.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/6/13/22529179/3rd-year-receiver-terry-mclaurin-just-keeps-getting-better

IMV, Terry is excellent at every aspect of the position, as well as being a great person and leader in the locker room (everyone listens when he speaks, though - or maybe because - he’s a quieter dude).  Top notch route running, speed, hands, tracks the ball really well, excellent at contested catches, doesn’t fumble, blocks hard, has solid size, is super consistent, etc.  Great ambassador for the franchise.  If we had a plethora of other receiving options, maybe I wouldn’t be dead set on extending him… but we don’t, so I am.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ok so the Seahawks have apparently turned down the Jets #10 overall pick for DK.

I’ll start by saying I want Terry Mc extended. However, in the event of a major contract standoff, in a trade to the Jets, what would you ask.....

GM Joe Douglas holds the fourth, 10th, 35th, 38th, 69th, 111th, 117th, 146th and 163rd picks

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Ok so the Seahawks have apparently turned down the Jets #10 overall pick for DK.

I’ll start by saying I want Terry Mc extended. However, in the event of a major contract standoff, in a trade to the Jets, what would you ask.....

GM Joe Douglas holds the fourth, 10th, 35th, 38th, 69th, 111th, 117th, 146th and 163rd picks

No one is giving a first rounder for Terry. At best 2nd rounder.

32 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Killing me, man, we aren't the Patriots so we shouldn't talk about if we did what they do when we never do. Huge reason why we've been having this problem for years now and i wont give this FO that same level of benefit of the doubt regarding "just replacing players". 

So, I think Martin, Marty and Ron are absolutely competent.  I don't think Bruce was, and the combination of Bruce and Dan was not competent.  

This FO has proven over and over they can find role players all over the place, and even hit on a few real gems, like McKissic and Thomas.  

I am giving them the benefit of the doubt they can find role players like a kick returner.  

They haven't proven they can do as well with some of the bigger names out there, but for the role players, I think they do well.  

Couple people they thought they could jus replace and live without in the secondary alone last offseason, and we all saw how that went last year. 😒

I'm not sure what you mean "replace and live without in the secondary alone" last season.  Because I'd argue they did exactly the opposite:

- They signed WJIII to a pretty big money deal, which was seen as an upgrade.

- They drafted St. Juice, who they thought they could play outside in nickel and bump Fuller into the slot, where he has excelled in his career.

- They signed McCain, who they really liked because of position flex, and they doubled down on that by re-signing him.

- Landon Collins returned, which also added another safety/buffalo nickel.

The problem wasn't that they tried to "live without" the problem was they tried to completely overhaul the secondary, and it didn't work. Each of the moves in a vacuum actually makes some sense.  

However, one effect was it bumped Kurl to the bench, basically, which was a huge mistake.  It took them way too long to figure out Collins couldn't play safety, and needed to play in the box.  It also took too long to figure out Fuller really is now better on the outside than inside.  

When they finally got everything squared away, with McCain/Kurl as the safeties, Fuller/WJIII on the outside, and Danny Johnson playing the nickel, Landon playing his natural role of buffalo nickel, it worked a whole heck of a lot better.

I put this on both the FO but also the coaches.  They needed to figure this stuff out much more quickly, and use the pieces better at the beginning of the season.  I think Landon was a real fly in the ointment.  And they TRIED to make it work with him at safety, and it just didn't.  And it took too long to make the change.  

You and @Conn are saying the same thing, other teams figure this out, why cant we?  Havent we all been asking that same question in general for like 30 years now?

I can separate the last 2 years from the preceding 28 years.  Not everybody can or wants to.  I look at 2020 - now as "Ron is in charge" and judge that alone.  I don't care what happened when Bruce was here. 

I know Martin and Marty aren't everybody's favorite GMs, but I think they're both competent and professional.  Just like Ron.  And I do trust them to find a kick returner.

If they can't, then that's a really bad look for them.  Because they should be able to.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

*If there are snags in Terry's negotiations...

Its a bit tricky, b/c that 10 overall is better points value than the whole Adams and Hill trades, and I would not want to trade Terry for a single pick. Asking for 10 plus change likely gets rejected.

The kind of return I'd want is a 1, a 3, a 6 and a future 6. If I gotta lose Terry, I wanna fill multiple holes, and I'm not sure I can do that with the Jets as a trade partner. Their 10 is worth too much. I'm also not cobble-stoneing a package that does not include a 1st, as I want to ensure a shot at a impact player with my package.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

No one is giving a first rounder for Terry. At best 2nd rounder.

That's not true. He's a starting WR in the league for 20 teams right now, and a #1 for at least 10-15 teams. 

That's worth at least a first round pick, and probably more.

And no, I'm not going to list the teams.  @KDawg already did earlier.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

*If there are snags in Terry's negotiations...

Its a bit tricky, b/c that 10 overall is better points value than the whole Adams and Hill trades, and I would not want to trade Terry for a single pick. Asking for 10 plus change likely gets rejected.

The kind of return I'd want is a 1, a 3, a 6 and a future 6. If I gotta lose Terry, I wanna fill multiple holes, and I'm not sure I can do that with the Jets as a trade partner. Their 10 is worth too much. I'm also not cobble-stoneing a package that does not include a 1st, as I want to ensure a shot at a impact player with my package.

Yeah I’d want multiple picks either via the initial trade or with a follow up trade.

1 minute ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

If Washington trades Terry I’m officially rooting for another team. F That. You don’t trade Terry. 
All bets are off. Sign the man up ASAP. 
All this talk is totally blasphemous imo. 

Again, he has to want to be signed. And they can’t pay him $100M guaranteed. If they trade him it’s because he has said he doesn’t want to come back or he’s priced himself out.

I’d rather move him than get nothing.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

If Washington trades Terry I’m officially rooting for another team. F That. You don’t trade Terry. 
All bets are off. Sign the man up ASAP. 
All this talk is totally blasphemous imo. 

Ideally you want him here, but WRs gotta eat and when given the choice, the good ones almost always tie themselves to good QBs in stable conditions. That's how they ensure wealth on future contracts.

We currently can't promise that. Its not crazy to think he wants to help ensure future monies by trying his hip to a reliable set of wings.

If that is his desire, I don't want a 3rd round comp pick when he leaves in FA. I want a trade package.

Edited by FootballZombie

@Voice_of_Reason I hear you in badly wanting to give Ron a clean slate separate from previous administrations.

Its...wisdom is very much about recognizing patterns, so we if we recognize stuff we have seen before we should not act like we didn't. 

Yes, different administration, but some of the same decisions we've seen in the past have lead to similar results.  This new administration doesn't not exist in a vacuum.

Certainly the best HC/FO combo we've had in a long time, but that's a really low bar and we're going into year three with a single winning record yet, let alone playoff win.  

So yea, I can see giving them benefit of the doubt more so then I have and others have encouraged me to try, but they still have work to do and results that need to be produced for me to get where some of yall are right now.  I'm still not there yet. I want to, but I'm not.

And additonally, my point about the secondary was they fd it up.  I didn't agree with letting go of Moreland, I accepted making WJ3 the new starter opposite at the time, but what happened with Curl was unfathomable and clear sign that these guys are not infallible. 

So yea, I will have concerns about them finding another punt returner until they do, because this also feels like an unforced error likely turning a strength into a weakness.  I don't feel like rehashing my feelings about the oline now until I see us play again.

Edited by Renegade7

For those that keep talking about how much money Terry is worth or not worth, and believe we should put him out there for trade….

Terry is a proven WR.

Draft picks are about potential.

There is a great possibility that you miss on the draft pick.

If you hit on the pick, he’s going to want to get paid when it’s his turn as well.

Sure, it it’s obvious Terry doesn’t want to re-sign here barring some outrageous $30MM per demand, you have to be proactive and see what you can get for him.  But that’s not obvious at this point, so I don’t get why it’s even a topic of discussion.  Every single fan with a vested interest in this team should be all-in on getting him signed to a near top of market contract.  Notice I said “near”.  If you can’t wrap your head around doing that and you’d rather take our chances in the draft, remove your head from your rear end.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gallen5862 said:

Kelvin Harmon is still a WR on our Roster I believe. Hopefully he is recovered from his injury and able to compete for a Roster spot.

I’d prefer we get guys who will be NFL productive versus barely hang on to the NFL roster.