Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

This is the issue with a lot of the thinking around here, in my opinion.

It's not that it's wrong to hope for the best - it's not, but when you go into the season where only 1 of your top 3 receivers have proven anything... you're likely going to be in a lot of trouble. Brown was drafted to be a deep threat, he will be able to test his abilities this year (Wentz has an arm). How much? We'll see. Samuel, if healthy, may do well... but we have no frame of reference for the kind of year he'll put up in this uniform.

So we have McLaurin and a few guys who may be able to.

I'd be much more comfortable with a high profile, high ceiling rookie. Yes, rookies are a crap shoot too. However, they are high potential crap shoots. Drake London, Jameson Williams, Garrett Wilson are all big time upgrades. That allows us to use Samuel more in the slot than opposite McLaurin as well. It also allows us to put Dyami in more advantageous situations to test his abilities.

Another receiver only helps us.

I am on board with many scenarios in this draft. My top is Hamilton. Next is WR or LB, depending on what the grade is. Part of me doesn't want to do a LB again in the first. But Lloyd is a difference maker so I'd survive that pick. 

See above

I agree with all you said. I do not see Hamilton lasting to us but would jump if he did. I also do not think going into the year with the WRs we have will help us and ther FA WRs are not who I would want for us. If we end up with too many studs, that's not exactly a bad problem.

I have a bit of separate question - probably belongs in the draft thread but the topic comes up here so a bit of cross-over is expected I think. You listed 3 WRs from the draft. You left out Burks and Olave. Are there things you don't like about those two or just left them out for brevity? Interested in your take on both those WRs. And we can take it to the draft thread if needed. 

Let me know. 

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I dont think you can really upgrade from what Collins was doing after being moved to LBer. He was awesome. 

Agree. He completely changed the defense in the second half of the season. I dont know who we can put there to even come close to his in the box performance. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

I agree with all you said. I do not see Hamilton lasting to us but would jump if he did. I also do not think going into the year with the WRs we have will help us and ther FA WRs are not who I would want for us. If we end up with too many studs, that's not exactly a bad problem.

I have a bit of separate question - probably belongs in the draft thread but the topic comes up here so a bit of cross-over is expected I think. You listed 3 WRs from the draft. You left out Burks and Olave. Are there things you don't like about those two or just left them out for brevity? Interested in your take on both those WRs. And we can take it to the draft thread if needed. 

Let me know. 

I don't think they are worth 11. I like both of them.

I think Williams/Wilson and London offer more upside. But I think Olave and Burks can be steady. I'm not AS high on Burks as many here. I think Fryfogle is a similar skillset and he may be better... but he played for Indiana. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, woodpecker said:

Good morning all. Thanks as always for the excellent commentary. One thing that’s bothering me reading over this thread… A lot of people are mentioning WR2 as a top priority, and I’m wondering what about Curtis Samuel? I feel like we already signed our WR2, he just hasn’t gotten on the field yet. A lot of fans, myself included, were very happy with the signing last year. He was not a bust, he just was injured. Seems fair that, now healthy, we can expect to get the player we signed up for. Russell Wilson had a terrible season last year, due to injury, and yet we were still falling over backwards trying to get him. I just don’t think we can afford to throw big money at another veteran receiver, and I believe we will get more out of Samuel this year than any rookie (even a first rounder). Obviously we always want more playmakers. But I just wonder if WR2 shouldn’t be a little further down the list of priorities, since we basically already took our shot with Samuel. 

Russell Wilson is a Super Bowl winning QB and a 9 time Pro Bowler. Curtis Samuels is a jag. 

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

You need THREE good receivers in todays NFL. Look at the Super Bowl teams. Rams have Kupp, OBJ, and Woods(before injury)and even Jefferson is a solid 4. Bengals have Chase, Higgins and Boyd.

None of our receivers except Mclaurin even come close to that level. 

The Rams never had Woods and OBJ on the field at the same time. OBJ was signed as Woods got hurt. Not saying having more good players is bad, but it's not like 3 good WRs is some magic formula either. Look at the Chiefs, who basically had just Hill. Obviously Kelce makes a huge impact at TE. But it's just two difference makers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodpecker said:

Good morning all. Thanks as always for the excellent commentary. One thing that’s bothering me reading over this thread… A lot of people are mentioning WR2 as a top priority, and I’m wondering what about Curtis Samuel? I feel like we already signed our WR2, he just hasn’t gotten on the field yet. A lot of fans, myself included, were very happy with the signing last year. He was not a bust, he just was injured. Seems fair that, now healthy, we can expect to get the player we signed up for. Russell Wilson had a terrible season last year, due to injury, and yet we were still falling over backwards trying to get him. I just don’t think we can afford to throw big money at another veteran receiver, and I believe we will get more out of Samuel this year than any rookie (even a first rounder). Obviously we always want more playmakers. But I just wonder if WR2 shouldn’t be a little further down the list of priorities, since we basically already took our shot with Samuel. 

I think the fallacy that a lot of people have with Samuel is thinking he is better than he is. His career high for yards receiving are 851. Which he did in 2020. When he was the # 3 receiver in Carolina behind DJ Moore and Robby Anderson. His second best season he had 627 yards. His third best season was at 494 yards. The other two are even worse. Simply put, those are NOT WR2 numbers. In fact, Samuel has never finished in the Top 2 players on his team in receiving yards in any NFL season. Now entering his sixth year, I think we pretty much know what Samuel is. You don't really see 6th year breakouts at WR. Hence, he's not a WR2. He's a fine player and would be ideal at WR3. But he really shouldn't be the plan at WR2.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Curtis Samuel will be on the roster regardless. We have an undisputed WR1. We have our WR4 in Brown and resigned Sims as WR5. We also have Milne, but whatever.

So a case can definitely be made that we don't have a legitimate WR2 and Samuel's is a 3/slot.

It's not perfect, which people seem to expect, but its not awful. It's certainly doable with a high floor&ceiling. 

RB we have a receiver and a former receiver that fumbles too much and has been benched repeatedly.

That's a huge hole.

TE we really only have Bates right now. Reyes could potentially be something, but he's not yet. Thomas won't be back for a while and if he's lost speed, he's done because that's pretty much all he brings. 

Thats a huge hole.

It's not like anyone is saying take WR off the table or WR should be the only thing on the table. 

LBer is a lock to be the pick at 11 or 47.

The other is going to be WR or RB most likely, with TE and DB as and outside shot. Those two positions and which ever didn't get chosen with the first two picks is probably your 4rth round flyer.

You can only do so much in one offseason. We answered our biggest question. QB, regardless of your opinion about him. There are options at the other spots.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

I think we address TE in FA with a stop-gap veteran who can play for a few weeks while Thomas heals. I’m sure someone will be available. We can’t draft a guy because we already have son youngsters and you can’t plan on a rookie TE starting immediately.

RB we can and will draft because it’s deep and there will be a valuable guy there.

I hope we address ILB in FA soon.

Safety IMO is also a real need, as we released two guys who played significant snaps for us next year.

Edited by seantaylor=god
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

None of our receivers except Mclaurin even come close to that level. 

Samuel in Carolina was absolutely that level.  

It's a question as to whether or not he can regain that level due to injury.

My thought is Ron and company have to believe he can, because they know where he is in his rehab, since he's in the building.  If he was behind in his rehab, my guess is they would have done something more aggressive at WR.

They seem to be approaching WR as they know they have McLaurin, Samuel, Brown and Sims, who all have different strengths, and they are going to draft a guy to complement the group.

If Samuel is truly hurt and not showing he can contribute at that level, then I think they would have HAD to sign somebody to replace him, regardless of what they want to do.  And I think they would have.

Since they haven't, I think it indicates pretty clearly they believe he's going to be fine and healthy. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, method man said:

He's going to be 35 but they should absolutely go get Jared Cook

Only if he comes cheap but I don’t think he will. He’s the epitome of never living up to it, reminds me of Evan Engram. Has all the tools but inconsistent. 

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Curtis Samuel will be on the roster regardless. We have an undisputed WR1. We have our WR4 in Brown and resigned Sims as WR5. We also have Milne, but whatever.

So a case can definitely be made that we don't have a legitimate WR2 and Samuel's is a 3/slot.

It's not perfect, which people seem to expect, but its not awful. It's certainly doable with a high floor&ceiling. 

RB we have a receiver and a former receiver that fumbles too much and has been benched repeatedly.

That's a huge hole.

TE we really only have Bates right now. Reyes could potentially be something, but he's not yet. Thomas won't be back for a while and if he's lost speed, he's done because that's pretty much all he brings. 

Thats a huge hole.

It's not like anyone is saying take WR off the table or WR should be the only thing on the table. 

LBer is a lock to be the pick at 11 or 47.

The other is going to be WR or RB most likely, with TE and DB as and outside shot. Those two positions and which ever didn't get chosen with the first two picks is probably your 4rth round flyer.

You can only do so much in one offseason. We answered our biggest question. QB, regardless of your opinion about him. There are options at the other spots.

You guys all know who can be our #2wr in this draft. It’s all elementary. 

9 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Only if he comes cheap but I don’t think he will. He’s the epitome of never living up to it, reminds me of Evan Engram. Has all the tools but inconsistent. 

I think he was always better than the oft injured stone hands Engram

He would actually be a decent one year fix and be a good friend to Wentz but he would be $$$.

While I know a rookie TE to add to the utes already their doesn't sound like a great idea, that mid round group has talent

Edited by DWinzit