Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

#3 QB

More tradition RB to pair with AG

#2 WR

TE depth

Lucas as swing tackle. OT depth still a concern

IDL depth

Starting LB / Collins replacement in the Hybrid role

Slot corner

S competition 

Thats what I initially think. Some of the hybrid role/safety competition/ maybe even corner can be covered by one player. I mean wouldn’t Tyrann Mathieu be ideal there?

Anyway, few gaps still to resolve for me.

Man that's so 90's.

If you get to QB #3, then it's over.

They have their RBs.

Add a TE who can catch a pass while Logan Thomas is out.

Lucas is a nice depth piece but there's options for backup tackles.

MLB'er...have to extend guys first so it's a weakness...you better have an explosive offense.

CB...2nd round pick.

The roster is all about that 1st round pick and you have to have a top WR or it doesn't work.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheShredder said:

Listening to Cousins on Pat McAfee interview and he said everything is different with two top receivers, the offense completely goes to another level.

That's what will happen with Wilson. Olave is a plan B that gets similar results imo. They need to go WR and load up another pass catching TE. Logan is going to be a ?

Frustrating that every time we acquire or extend a receiver they get hurt for the next year or 2.

Look what Miami is doing at WR.....talk about stacking a room? And they added a RB or two as well. Their offense should be incredibly good if they have any kind of QB play out of Tua. 

13 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Look what Miami is doing at WR.....talk about stacking a room? And they added a RB or two as well. Their offense should be incredibly good if they have any kind of QB play out of Tua. 

Id be so tempted to take 2 WR if we trade down for this reason. Can’t have too many weapons. And it creates flexibility.

You need THREE good receivers in todays NFL. Look at the Super Bowl teams. Rams have Kupp, OBJ, and Woods(before injury)and even Jefferson is a solid 4. Bengals have Chase, Higgins and Boyd.

None of our receivers except Mclaurin even come close to that level. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's not like we're talking about Spurrier bringing all his college QBs back. Ron signed 2 replacement players as a lateral move talent wise, for less money. They were both good moves.

#RememberOsaka

Regarding Ron signing former Panther players, I can see both sides of this along with any other generic attempt to rationalize vs justify it.

It has been a running joke here, for better or worse, and for reasons already stated, I don't see it wearing out anytime soon.

It's always going to be a different conversation when we are losing instead of winning, and the case for us no longer being a desirable destination and free agents that played with Ron giving Ron the benefit of the doubt is a strong one.

Just...ya know... none of these former players won a ring with him in Carolina either, and neither did Ron, so I do believe that has a lot to do with some of the jokes and out right frustration on the perception and reality here.

Edited by Renegade7

40 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

A receiver in FA and one in the draft would have been ideal for me. I don’t think the WR market has helped that really. The contract numbers on some level 2/3 receivers are crazy.

It's also the fact we have a lot of WRs already under contract, if I had to choose between London and Hamilton i'd go KH all day.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

A receiver in FA and one in the draft would have been ideal for me. I don’t think the WR market has helped that really. The contract numbers on some level 2/3 receivers are crazy.

I hear ya....We really need Dyami Brown to pan out and be a legit #3. He would be our Van Jefferson. Assuming Samuel is healthy he'd be our Deebo. Terry Mac is our Devonte Adams. Two big "ifs" in this formula.....In the draft I'd get the best TE we can find and let Wentz have that weapon too since he loves TE's so much. Get a guy who we can create a matchup problem with. opposing defenses.

• Like 1

Good morning all. Thanks as always for the excellent commentary. One thing that’s bothering me reading over this thread… A lot of people are mentioning WR2 as a top priority, and I’m wondering what about Curtis Samuel? I feel like we already signed our WR2, he just hasn’t gotten on the field yet. A lot of fans, myself included, were very happy with the signing last year. He was not a bust, he just was injured. Seems fair that, now healthy, we can expect to get the player we signed up for. Russell Wilson had a terrible season last year, due to injury, and yet we were still falling over backwards trying to get him. I just don’t think we can afford to throw big money at another veteran receiver, and I believe we will get more out of Samuel this year than any rookie (even a first rounder). Obviously we always want more playmakers. But I just wonder if WR2 shouldn’t be a little further down the list of priorities, since we basically already took our shot with Samuel. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

I hear ya....We really need Dyami Brown to pan out and be a legit #3. He would be our Van Jefferson. Assuming Samuel is healthy he'd be our Deebo. Terry Mac is our Devonte Adams. Two big "ifs" in this formula.....In the draft I'd get the best TE we can find and let Wentz have that weapon too since he loves TE's so much. Get a guy who we can create a matchup problem with. opposing defenses.

This is the issue with a lot of the thinking around here, in my opinion.

It's not that it's wrong to hope for the best - it's not, but when you go into the season where only 1 of your top 3 receivers have proven anything... you're likely going to be in a lot of trouble. Brown was drafted to be a deep threat, he will be able to test his abilities this year (Wentz has an arm). How much? We'll see. Samuel, if healthy, may do well... but we have no frame of reference for the kind of year he'll put up in this uniform.

So we have McLaurin and a few guys who may be able to.

I'd be much more comfortable with a high profile, high ceiling rookie. Yes, rookies are a crap shoot too. However, they are high potential crap shoots. Drake London, Jameson Williams, Garrett Wilson are all big time upgrades. That allows us to use Samuel more in the slot than opposite McLaurin as well. It also allows us to put Dyami in more advantageous situations to test his abilities.

Another receiver only helps us.

I am on board with many scenarios in this draft. My top is Hamilton. Next is WR or LB, depending on what the grade is. Part of me doesn't want to do a LB again in the first. But Lloyd is a difference maker so I'd survive that pick. 

1 minute ago, woodpecker said:

Good morning all. Thanks as always for the excellent commentary. One thing that’s bothering me reading over this thread… A lot of people are mentioning WR2 as a top priority, and I’m wondering what about Curtis Samuel? I feel like we already signed our WR2, he just hasn’t gotten on the field yet. A lot of fans, myself included, were very happy with the signing last year. He was not a bust, he just was injured. Seems fair that, now healthy, we can expect to get the player we signed up for. Russell Wilson had a terrible season last year, due to injury, and yet we were still falling over backwards trying to get him. I just don’t think we can afford to throw big money at another veteran receiver, and I believe we will get more out of Samuel this year than any rookie (even a first rounder). Obviously we always want more playmakers. But I just wonder if WR2 shouldn’t be a little further down the list of priorities, since we basically already took our shot with Samuel. 

See above

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you K dawg. That makes sense. My only pushback would be that rookie first round receivers rarely hit. For every Jamar Chase, there are 10 Corey Davises and 10 Jalen Reagors. Yes it would be nice if we could just pencil in Justin Jefferson production, but it’s real hard to see that happening. I’d rather see us take the stud safety, one of the linebackers, or even take a shot at QB before spending to pick on receiver.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

Thank you K dawg. That makes sense. My only pushback would be that rookie first round receivers rarely hit. For every Jamar Chase, there are 10 Corey Davises and 10 Jalen Reagors. Yes it would be nice if we could just pencil in Justin Jefferson production, but it’s real hard to see that happening. I’d rather see us take the stud safety, one of the linebackers, or even take a shot at QB before spending to pick on receiver.

Raegor was way over drafted. But these first rounders are hitting a lot more often nowadays. College offenses are catching up with the NFL on route variety and systems. Not all. But many. Outside training with personal trainers is helping  as well.

Look at the last few years. The hit rate on non-reaches and guys without criminal issues is much better as of late.

No QB is worth it now that we have Wentz. If Wentz were in this draft he'd be the #1 QB.

LB I could see a case being made for - but it's a tougher sell due to us using our 1 on a LB last year. Lots of resources in one spot. But Lloyd changes the D a bit so okay.

Hamilton should be target #1. After him, though, it's Lloyd/London/Wilson or Williams for me. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This is the issue with a lot of the thinking around here, in my opinion.

It's not that it's wrong to hope for the best - it's not, but when you go into the season where only 1 of your top 3 receivers have proven anything... you're likely going to be in a lot of trouble. Brown was drafted to be a deep threat, he will be able to test his abilities this year (Wentz has an arm). How much? We'll see. Samuel, if healthy, may do well... but we have no frame of reference for the kind of year he'll put up in this uniform.

So we have McLaurin and a few guys who may be able to.

I'd be much more comfortable with a high profile, high ceiling rookie. Yes, rookies are a crap shoot too. However, they are high potential crap shoots. Drake London, Jameson Williams, Garrett Wilson are all big time upgrades. That allows us to use Samuel more in the slot than opposite McLaurin as well. It also allows us to put Dyami in more advantageous situations to test his abilities.

Another receiver only helps us.

I am on board with many scenarios in this draft. My top is Hamilton. Next is WR or LB, depending on what the grade is. Part of me doesn't want to do a LB again in the first. But Lloyd is a difference maker so I'd survive that pick. 

See above

The thinking is that we've invested picks or a lot of cash in both Samuel and Brown and need to see the investment through. I am with you that they can't be counted on until they prove it but do we give up on them after one year or think we know what we have in them before we've really seen them stay on the field? Brown will be given a bigger role this season and needs to stay healthy and assert himself. Samuel is a big question mark given his health issue(s) but we're paying him a lot of money. 

I would love a rookie WR in the draft but we have a QB who LOVES throwing to the TE's so I'd make sure that position is solid with guys who can get open and catch the ball. By re-signing Sims I also have to believe the coaches like him a lot. 

Just now, kingdaddy said:

The thinking is that we've invested picks or a lot of cash in both Samuel and Brown and need to see the investment through. I am with you that they can't be counted on until they prove it but do we give up on them after one year or think we know what we have in them before we've really seen them stay on the field? Brown will be given a bigger role this season and needs to stay healthy and assert himself. Samuel is a big question mark given his health issue(s) but we're paying him a lot of money. 

I would love a rookie WR in the draft but we have a QB who LOVES throwing to the TE's so I'd make sure that position is solid with guys who can get open and catch the ball. By re-signing Sims I also have to believe the coaches like him a lot. 

Haven't invested all that much in them. And neither is a true #2.

Samuel is a weapon, but is a gadget/slot guy to be most effective.

Edited by KDawg

39 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

He basically missed an entire season with a groin injury. It'd be one thing if it was an ACL or something, but nope....just a groin as far as I can remember. Even Desean Jackson never managed that, and he was hurt half the time.

Now, he could very well stay healthy next year.....but he could also miss a season due to a toe or something. Depending on anything from him moving forward is not something that a good franchise would do. Worst case scenario, if they draft a WR high and Samuel actually plays,  you have a 3rd weapon in the passing game. That's not a problem, it's something that's needed anyway.

Also, with WR contracts as crazy as they are, they need to draft a couple regardless. Taking one high makes too much sense, especially when the next biggest hole, MLB.....doesn't really matter quite as much as it used to. Teams are in nickel with 2 LBs a vast majority of the time, because.....almost every team starts 3 WRs. Even counting Samuel, which they shouldn't, we still only have 2 starters there. Drafting an LB high is just gonna result in Jamin Davis riding the bench, barring injury, which may be a good thing, but its not as big of a hole as the lack of a good 3rd *really 2nd and 3rd* receiver.

Now I know people will bring up Dyami Brown, but he's best served playing a 4th wr role for right now. He can run gos and deep posts, that's about it. Still very raw.

This isn't directed solely at you, woodpecker, so don't take my bluntness as an attack. I'm just tired of reading about how people are penciling in Samuel as a good 2, without him having done anything here.

Edited by SpacePenguin
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Yes! Great move and removes something off the need large list

Probably another 2 year deal with 3 voidable years to make the cap impact minimal this year.

5 minutes ago, SpacePenguin said:

This isn't directed solely at you, woodpecker, so don't take my bluntness as an attack. I'm just tired of reading about how people are penciling in Samuel as a good 2, without him having done anything here.

Yep we 100% need to bring in another WR with the intent of him being our #2 alongside Terry.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I heard one of the sports talking heads (whose name escapes me) say something a month or so ago that has stuck with me ever since.

He said that having two top receivers used to be the gold standard but he said that offenses that can force your third corner to cover someone that is the equivalent of a number one wideout on an good team can be UNSTOPPABLE.

He said it really doesn't matter if that third guy is a wideout or a te but he said there is no team in the league with the cb depth to face three tier one receivers.

That was how it worked in the days of Monk, Clark, and Sanders. You had to cover one of Monk/Clark with your #2 corner and Sanders with your #3. That generally didn't end well.

Edited by Kelvin Bryant
  • Like 1

Space penguin: thanks for your response. I guess the difference is, some of us see Samuel as a bust because of last year, and others are still going by what he did in Carolina which is what earned him the contract in the first place. I still believe in Samuel. But you definitely make some convincing points and I think I would in fact be on board with drafting a receiver in the first. Although still I would prefer to fill a more glaring (imo) need before spending on insurance for Samuel. Appreciate the conversation, and no I would never feel “attacked“ by an opinion. 😁

3 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

Space penguin: thanks for your response. I guess the difference is, some of us see Samuel as a bust because of last year, and others are still going by what he did in Carolina which is what earned him the contract in the first place. I still believe in Samuel. But you definitely make some convincing points and I think I would in fact be on board with drafting a receiver in the first. Although still I would prefer to fill a more glaring (imo) need before spending on insurance for Samuel. Appreciate the conversation, and no I would never feel “attacked“ by an opinion. 😁

Drafting a receiver isn't insurance for Samuel.

Samuel is a slot/gadget receiver. He's not a guy that should be on the LOS or stuck to working the sidelines. To get the most out of him he needs to be slotted. Given we don't have anyone to play the outside #2 consistently, drafting a #2 is a must. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1