Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

Almost nothing after the catch and very limited route tree (at least as used last year). We need more from the slot role.

Adding to that, we need to make sure it's someone who Wentz would utilize. Heinicke didn't really make plays with his arm, but Wentz could.  Versatility in the slot is super important depending on what offense we're running.

I still don't like Wentz, but I am excited to see what Turner can do with these players and a different quarterback.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

Man I hate that we didn’t resign McKissick 😕

I hate this, too.  He was a really valuable piece to the offense over the past couple of seasons.  Great pass catcher, decent runner.  I think the offense, as anemic as it tends to be lost whatever bit of strength they have today by letting him walk.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Almost nothing after the catch and very limited route tree (at least as used last year). We need more from the slot role.

Starting line is set. Leno, Flowers, Roullier, Schweitzer, Cosmi. That’s an excellent starting 5.

But we lack depth. Need a swing tackle and depth at both center and guard.

Larson is signed.  Not sure what Charles gives you, or if he’s dependable.  Really need that swing tackle.  Hopefully they can bring Lucas back.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Are you guys comfortable with the receiving corps as currently constituted.  I actually am and I really want Kyami to take that next step.  I really like the move Indy made by hiring R. Wayne to be the WR coach.  Does anyone know who the commanders WR coach is?  

If we can sign Carter and Samuel is healthy, and Dyami can take a step, its a solid group.  Still love me some C. Watkins, but we are not drafting a WR before the 4th if that.

What do you guys think?

I could easily see WR being our 1st or 2nd round pick, after a trade back or not. 2nd is where the value is imo but I could see either

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I hate this, too.  He was a really valuable piece to the offense over the past couple of seasons.  Great pass catcher, decent runner.  I think the offense, as anemic as it tends to be lost whatever bit of strength they have today by letting him walk.

Maybe this will help you because it refers to those 3rd down type backs.

• Thumb up 1

31 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

It's a little frustrating to hear Bobby McCain quoted how he was told they wanted him back, but then a Washington source is quoted in the mckissick blurb about being surprised they didn't have an option to match.  Just like they did with mccain, I'm not sure why they didn't clearly state that they wanted JD back and would be willing to match an offer even if they were going to let him test the market.  

I’m sure they did make it clear. They’re surprised they never got the chance because anyone would rather compete for SB’s catching balls from Josh Allen than come back here. Can’t hate that, matching would not have been enough. 

• Thumb up 1

Not only have we not brought anyone in, is quite staggering how few links are coming out  where we may actually be interested in someone. Or even missed out. Nothing.

What about OJ Howard. He gets a mention every year, will throw it out there to keep the tradition going if nothing else :ols:

42 minutes ago, MartinC said:

They really liked Milne in the role last year.  I think the plan is for him to step up and take Hump’s spot.

Right or wrong, they’re banking on internal improvement more than anything else.  If the players already on the roster + Wentz flame out, then Ron  completely misread the talent on the team.  And that’s going to be his undoing.  

Good franchises, when they get surprisingly good performances from cheap journeyman FA types like McKissic and Carter, let them get paid elsewhere (if they’re overpaid) and find the next cheap cog. We aren’t yet a good franchise but acting like it’s an emergency to overpay these sorts of journeyman who WE essentially  discovered and extracted disproportionate value from in the first place is backwards thinking imo—find the next versions and move forward. The exception is when it’s a high impact position where breakouts are rare, like Logan Thomas at TE. We did what was necessary to lock him in. But McKissic and Carter?

I know we’re scarred bc we haven’t had anyone who looks good catching a swing pass out of the backfield in a while, and it’s been ages since we didn’t have to cover our eyes on a punt return, but these are things that other teams treat as commonplace. And if this roster is really improving, then we too can replace those roles as if it’s commonplace, if we’re smart. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Larson is signed.  Not sure what Charles gives you, or if he’s dependable.  Really need that swing tackle.  Hopefully they can bring Lucas back.

Re-signing Lucas (I think, I get him and Leno mixed up) would solve the backup swing tackle thing.  I know they want to.  I don’t think he’s been scooped up yet.  Hopefully he re-signs.  

You can’t count on anything from Charles.

They are going to sign and draft several guys for depth.  

I remain hopeful they can re-sign Lucas.  

• Like 3

Vikings signed LB Jordan Hicks to a two-year, $10 million contract. 

Another $2 million is available through incentives, while a decent $6.5 million of the deal is guaranteed. Cut by the Cardinals six days ago, 29-year-old Hicks has been a full-time starter since 2016 in Philadelphia. He spent the past three years in the desert. An every-down player, Hicks predictably thumps the run while being mostly replacement level everywhere else. The Vikings were bad against the run in 2021, though Eric Kendricks remains the man in the middle. Hicks will line up alongside Kendricks and attempt to make the middle of the field a more dangerous place for rival runners. 

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/sports/nfl/football

Edited by DWinzit
  • Sad 8

McKissick may have been a camp cut anyways if we bring in a back to pair with Gibson. They like Jonathan Williams a bit I think, plus other cheap options later in FA and a potential drafted RB.

McKissick also would take Gibson’s role. It really became more of a “Gibson or McKissick” conversation and the younger guy on the rookie deal won.

Not surprised there at all. I am quite interested in receiver, OL depth, DT depth, LB and FS. 

I think our weakest spots are receiver, FS and LB and not necessarily in order. 

I can see the true BPA in the draft being WR, FS or LB and that’s tough to project (London/Wilson, Hamilton, Lloyd).

Lloyd isn’t really a true MIKE, either. But I don’t think we need a true Mike. We need athletic sideline to sideline players who can do everything but is especially stout against run. 

Interesting few weeks coming.

• Like 1

Man, whoever the social media manager is must’ve been pretty brave to tweet this….team is getting raked over the flames (that’s the saying, right?) for this 😂😂

and then there’s the daily “release the report” comments, as if the social media manager has anything to do with that. Lmaooooo

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I will never ****ing understand how comp picks work. It's sorcery like taxes or hiring a competent staff.

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Man, whoever the social media manager is must’ve been pretty brave to tweet this….team is getting raked over the flames (that’s the saying, right?) for this 😂😂

I wonder if it's a scheduled tweet, there's a **** ton of algorithms out there that I also don't understand.

• Like 1