Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Curtis Samuel in 2022?

Giddy4Gibson

Ron isn't rushing him back, because after a year off, hes not in total football shape. Hes an elite twitchy athlete. It's insane how sudden his movements are. Cant just pull a racecar out the garage and stand on the throttle. Gotta warm ot up. Spin the tires a bit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Ron isn't rushing him back, because after a year off, hes not in total football shape. Hes an elite twitchy athlete. It's insane how sudden his movements are. Cant just pull a racecar out the garage and stand on the throttle. Gotta warm ot up. Spin the tires a bit. 

Curtis Samuel does have a history of soft tissue injuries

Lumbar Strain 2017 (similar to current tightness), Hamstring Strain 2017 & 2021 {grade 1similar to current tightness & 2 }, Groin Strain & Sports Hernia 2021, R-Ankle Fracture 2017, Patellar Knee Sprain 2020.

He's out of shape and he's got 5 weeks to fix a 4 week problem. He'll play Week 1, unless he tears a muscle. That's why they rehab him 100% before going back out. Two steps forward, one step back until you roll over the top!

https://www.draftsharks.com/fantasy/injury-history/curtis-samuel/7753

curtis_injury_chart.PNG

Edited by TheShredder
  • Like 3

Ron brought Curtis here because he was familiar with him from their Carolina days. Gave him that money but if you look at his time in Carolina; he didn’t have the stats to earn such a contract.

He was injured in his rookie year, 2017; so played little.

2018 - started 8/13 games played

39 receptions for 494- 5tds

2019- Started 15/16 for 54/627- 6tds

2020- started 5/15 for 77/851- 3tds

hardly worth what we gave him.

If he stays healthy this year. I doubt he does much for us and us a cap casualty next year.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I’m not asking anybody on here to get lathered up. Seems like an awful idea. 😆

I’m just pointing out that it’s unfair to treat him like Malcolmb Kelly part two when the guy doesn’t have an injury history prior to last season.

Lots of ifs in your above statement. Why is everyone assuming he’s gonna miss half the season? I think it’s misguided and I look forward to all the crow this place will refuse to eat. 🍻

No problem with your points or stance, however, the fact that we're now in year 2 with our 2021 prized free agent signing and he's still struggling to get/stay on the field for whatever reason is cause to question what if anything we get out of him moving forward. He missed all of last year with the injury and now he's STILL working his way into shape? It's not like he tore knee ligaments etc....I can't remember seeing anything like this? 

• Like 1

It's good to see Curtis finally getting some proper reps with the team, his recent injuries have been worrying to say the least.

I really like his skillset and think that him and Terry could turn out to be a deadly duo. The possibility that we've also found another stud in Dotson is very exciting, but I need to see him in a real game before going all-in.

We could have a really high-powered offense if Wentz can only get his head right.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

He missed all of last year with the injury and now he's STILL working his way into shape? It's not like he tore knee ligaments etc....I can't remember seeing anything like this? 

Yeah, there's a Catch-22 with fast twitch guys that have muscle tears. It's really important to fully heal or the body's patch job won't hold. Then after a long time of laying off, you have to get the whole body back in shape, & balanced. If you screw up the training and nutrition then you get tightness and irritation in other muscles. For Samuel, it might or might not be his fault, but the results are the same. He's not in shape. They can ramp him up in 4 weeks and as long as he's getting a few reps and doesn't tear anything he'll play Week 1.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

No problem with your points or stance, however, the fact that we're now in year 2 with our 2021 prized free agent signing and he's still struggling to get/stay on the field for whatever reason is cause to question what if anything we get out of him moving forward. He missed all of last year with the injury and now he's STILL working his way into shape? It's not like he tore knee ligaments etc....I can't remember seeing anything like this? 

That's why Ron's explanation doesn't make sense.  He said because Samuel missed a bunch of time last year, he needs all the extra precautionary steps to "ramp up" for the season.  This is a new strategy he invented to get a guy into football conditioning.  Ramping up seems to me like he'd be getting more and more work.  One day on, one day off would become 2 days on Not, one day off, and so on. Not this start and stop stuff.  But it's only been a week, so let's see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

But he was very careful to say it wasn't related to "last year's injury", but doesn't really say if there's a new thing he's worried about.

Edited by justice98

17 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

When have they ever done that just to get a guy into football shape?  

I mean, he did actually play in a game as late as December.  If he tore his ACL in week 1 last year and didnt practice all year, they probably wouldn't be handling him this way arguing "football conditioning".  

Now it makes sense why Curtis wasn’t in Cali working out with Wentz and company. If he really is nursing the injury and his conditioning is poor because of it, I could see him being a relatively non factor this year. 

Could see Gibson playing that swiss army position with BRob getting most of the rushes. 

image.thumb.png.517e43bb793251456722220c6151d86f.png

7 hours ago, justice98 said:

That's why Ron's explanation doesn't make sense.  He said because Samuel missed a bunch of time last year, he needs all the extra precautionary steps to "ramp up" for the season.  This is a new strategy he invented to get a guy into football conditioning.  Ramping up seems to me like he'd be getting more and more work.  One day on, one day off would become 2 days on Not, one day off, and so on. Not this start and stop stuff.  But it's only been a week, so let's see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

But he was very careful to say it wasn't related to "last year's injury", but doesn't really say if there's a new thing he's worried about.

Not that I trust RR media statements at all, however it does make sense to ramp a guy up into football shape in this situation.

Problem with muscle tears is that if they're not surgically repaired, the body has to repair itself. Scar tissue mechanics differ somewhat from normal connective tissue mechanics.Normal connective tissue is mature and stable, with limited pliability. Immature scar tissue is much more dynamic and pliable. Scar tissue formation occurs in four distinct phases. Each of these phases shows characteristic differences during phases of immobilization and mobilization. So, jump to the final phase after 2 months of mobilization (being shut down) and the scar tissue is mature, inactive, and non-pliable----> like normal muscle tissues. Science says 2 months (8 weeks) for muscle tears. Curtis Samuel did this twice last year, was never in football shape, then clearly they or he screwed up off-season training.

Clearly it's all connected in a botched, rushed, and mismanaged sports hernia, now extending past a year...BUT it doesn't discount the benefits of proper healing time (8 weeks of doing nothing). The whole body has to be retrained. Seems like they're doing the right thing with him now that they hired Al Bellamy in late April. Assume Al Bellamy just started fixing this issue since May, with a plan to ensure he's ready Week 1.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

The Commanders will have 6 mill or so more in cap in 2023 after Samuel is cut if he doesn't pan out.

Frustrating yeah, but then he's worth way more if healthy. WR market just blew up and Curtis is talented past double his cap savings. Wouldn't be smart to cut him when he's finally healthy and then goes to a division rival. If he ends up on IR again, then yeah Steve Smith was right, 'damaged goods'.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Then after a long time of laying off, you have to get the whole body back in shape, & balanced.

This is what bugs me, Curtis was active and able to at least maintain his cardio and do light resistance going back to the end of last season and if you know you cant let those problematic areas get tight from being under utilized then what the hell was he doing all offseason.  He hasn't been injured in months so coming into camp out of shape is disappointing.  None of it makes any sense to me.

Just now, JSSkinz said:

This is what bugs me, Curtis was active and able to at least maintain his cardio and do light resistance going back to the end of last season and if you know you cant let those problematic areas get tight from being under utilized then what the hell was he doing all offseason.  He hasn't been injured in months so coming into camp out of shape is disappointing.  None of it makes any sense to me.

It got jacked up when the head trainer got fired and the staff & coaches rushed him back. His cardio is probably fine. The muscle chain from core up to core down have one common axis, lumbar muscles. When there's supporting muscle weakness, the lower back has to over compensate for the weakness in the chain. Key sign of athletic fitness being off the mark. I'd guess he's close but there's no need to condition a guy with his history if he's tight at all. Just wait until the conditioning fatigue corrects then proceed. The fitness issue is within the lower muscle chain that starts at the lumbar muscle group and extends to the feet. That's why he has lumbar tightening and a sore hamstring. The hamstring surely got an MRI so they'd have seen any tear. He practiced a day later so he doesn't have a torn hamstring, however his abs, hips, and legs need more safe conditioning (symptom free) over the next month to start 2022 the right way.

If he tears again, then I'm 100% onboard with letting him go next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Honestly if it really is a "football shape" issue more than any specific injury/injury flare up, I consider that good news.  If you are healthy and not afraid to go at full speed, you will get that football shape back in due time, it is nagging injuries that cause the constant week to week battle of "can I go/can't I go" that becomes a problem.  

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Honestly if it really is a "football shape" issue more than any specific injury/injury flare up, I consider that good news.  If you are healthy and not afraid to go at full speed, you will get that football shape back in due time, it is nagging injuries that cause the constant week to week battle of "can I go/can't I go" that becomes a problem.  

The difference between soreness in a training high priority guy and non-priority guys is where the confusion starts. With Curtis ANY soreness/tightness has to be resolved to take the field, then limitations are applied until he stacks non-symptomatic practice sessions. These are things other guys wouldn't have restrictions with. Curtis will stack 3 sessions in about 2 weeks.

#Note - If he completes a half session, then the next session is a full day, then he returns (no missed session) he'll be over the hump.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1