Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Perpetually Pissed Philly vs The Legend of Taylor Heinicke: The Rematch

TK
Message added by TK,

238171562_ScreenShot2022-01-02at3_49_55PM.thumb.png.173f23c1dd180a90b4d76545c9a7f3b0.png

7 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

It's difficult to forcefeed 1 guy when the person trying to forcefeed has a noodle arm.  You saw how all of that forcefeeding was near the LoS?  Can't drive the ball into tight windows for timing routes.  So the whole forcefeeding concept is extra limited.

Understanding Heineke is limited, this still felt like the first time they actually tried to scheme him open on passes Heineke could make. 

Glad they tried just seems like it took all season. 

On to rooting for some teams to win so we get a better draft pick.

3 hours ago, Redwards said:

Scott never adjusted to Philly's adjustments.  He kept running the same stuff all game.  Our players were doing just fine to open the game.  You can't make the excuse that we didn't have the horses; they were running the scheme very well.  Turner's track record is not being able to adjust.  Just like Gruden.   B. Mitch was just talking about this same thing on Postgame Live. The coordinator is a big part of the problem.  Today proved it wasn't all player-related.

Actually that's not true. They threw a bunch of different plays and formations. The bottom line is the o'line was horrendous and Taylor does not make good decisions when there is immediate pressure. He is good when he can get away but when the pressure is right in his face quickly he makes poor decisions. I know many here think if they see no roll-outs there are no adjustments. But that's jsut not true and roiling out will not help Taylor overcome his weakness which is his arm. 

I think if you look back at last year and earlier this year we were a bad starting team and a really good second half team. I believe we scored less in the 1st Q than any team in the NFL. So I am not sure how you score more in the second half after doing nothing early without making adjustments. 

Yes, the last few games it's been the other way but that's more on teams knowing what we have to do to protect Taylor and taking that away and us having 3rd, 4th, string players in and even some guys fresh off the street. Smallwood and Patterson are OK for 3rd/4th backs right now but they are NOT Gibson or McK. Bates is not Seals Jones or Thomas. We have our 4th string C playing. Entire Oline is all over the place. At some point there is not much any coordinator or HC can do but try to reload for next year. 

I am in no way saying Turner is great but it's really hard to truly evaluate someone who doesn't have any tools. It was jsut 4 short weeks ago we were in the 6 PO spot and held our own destiny. He gets as much credit there as he gets blame for anything else. 

All in all he is a pretty good OC who needs to have some more horses. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I'd love to see what we'd Look like with a healthy team. We finished the last 5 games of the season with half of our team out on IR or covid. You can't win in this league with half of your back ups playing. 4 of 5 OL starters out. Top  2 RBs out. Topt TE out. 2 of 4 top wrs out. Starting QB out.

Top 2 DEs out, top  2 LBs out, 2 of 4 DBs out.  

Just ridiculous. 

We have been the most injured team in the league the past 3 yrs. Should we get rid of our trainers and strength and conditioning coaches??

Edited by Macster

6 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

He is good when he can get away but when the pressure is right in his face quickly he makes poor decisions.

I don't know, if any, QB that likes to have pressure up the middle right after the ball is snapped.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

That is what our OL is right now.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Nah we were never good bruh. 

I dont believe .500 or a game over was unreasonable coming into August given our defense carried us in 2020 then we added Fitz and Samuel. 

Having both miss nearly every game is some snakebite BS of the highest order, there's no backup plan for that.

It sucks our defense couldn't find themselves until mid-season then COVID and injuries finished them off.

It jus seems like everything that could go wrong did go wrong this year, im frustrated like everyone else, jus have to call it as it is that some major factors in our season we in our control and many weren't. At no point did we have everyone we thought we'd be starting the season with, it be like that sometimes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tonysoprano1 said:

Frankly, as bad as we played this year, and how putrid our defense was, QB issues, injuries, Covid...all things considered its a miracle we won 6 games. Ultimate disgrace will be next week when the horrid Giants likely clean out clocks.

The Giants are tanking no way they win.

1 hour ago, zskins said:

It doesn't matter what he is but to put all the blame on TH was unfair at best. 

In the blame pie chart I give:

Playing with 1/3 of an NFL starting roster: 25%

Defense failing to get stops when it mattered: 25%

Scott Turner/Ron Rivera getting overly conservative for no apparent reason at the end of the second quarter through most of the second half: 25%

TH nit being able to execute in certain situations when they needed him to 25%

The OL was not great today, but it had only 2 projected starters: Leno and Scherff.  Flowers, Rouiller and Cosmi were all out, unless I’m mistaken. In addition, Schweitzer and Larson are out, so the center is the 4th string center and the backup guard is 3rd string. So I didn’t have high expectations.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Actually that's not true. They threw a bunch of different plays and formations. The bottom line is the o'line was horrendous and Taylor does not make good decisions when there is immediate pressure. He is good when he can get away but when the pressure is right in his face quickly he makes poor decisions. I know many here think if they see no roll-outs there are no adjustments. But that's jsut not true and roiling out will not help Taylor overcome his weakness which is his arm. 

I think if you look back at last year and earlier this year we were a bad starting team and a really good second half team. I believe we scored less in the 1st Q than any team in the NFL. So I am not sure how you score more in the second half after doing nothing early without making adjustments. 

Yes, the last few games it's been the other way but that's more on teams knowing what we have to do to protect Taylor and taking that away and us having 3rd, 4th, string players in and even some guys fresh off the street. Smallwood and Patterson are OK for 3rd/4th backs right now but they are NOT Gibson or McK. Bates is not Seals Jones or Thomas. We have our 4th string C playing. Entire Oline is all over the place. At some point there is not much any coordinator or HC can do but try to reload for next year. 

I am in no way saying Turner is great but it's really hard to truly evaluate someone who doesn't have any tools. It was jsut 4 short weeks ago we were in the 6 PO spot and held our own destiny. He gets as much credit there as he gets blame for anything else. 

ALl in all he a pretty good OC who needs to have some more horses. 

Despite my complaints, I think the whole coaching staff should get another season.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

What adjustments should we have made? What adjustments did Philly make? I wasn't watching that closely, so I'd love your insight.

Sean McVay nor Kyle Shannahan made adjustments?

No.  McVay and Shanny were both not know for making in-game adjustments while here.  

Turner went away from running the ball in the second half because Philly was stacking.  He shuts everything down to 5-10 yard reads and pathetic screen pass after screen pass.  As to what adjustments he should have made, that's his job to figure out.  I'm not an O coordinator.  But I can certainly spot when a coordinator is not adjusting and going into a shell because what they did in the first have isn't working anymore.  B. Mitch was saying the exact same thing postgame.   

7 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

That is what our OL is right now.

It’s true but see above, I’m not sure much more can be expected.  They had depth and they not only lost starters but they lost backups and then they lost 3rd stringers.  

So, yeah it’s disappointing.  But not altogether surprising.

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It’s true but see above, I’m not sure much more can be expected.  They had depth and they not only lost starters but they lost backups and then they lost 3rd stringers.  

So, yeah it’s disappointing.  But not altogether surprising.

I know, we've been hit hard, s it's not surprising by any means.

What pisses me much, (and it's a huge exageration here, I'm mostly don't care in fact), it's not really the loss, but more that I would have loved to ruin Philly's playoffs' hopes.

3 minutes ago, PolarExpress said:

Despite my complaints, I think the whole coaching staff should get another season.

I’m not sure about Jack and the DL coach. 

I agree with most of the rest.  But there clearly was an issue on the DL, and the defense underperformed to a degree where I think a change is warranted.

Benching Kurl for Collins at safety early in the year is a fireable offense.  It took Jack 5 weeks to figure out that problem, when it was obvious to even the most casual fan 2 years ago. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

What adjustments should we have made? What adjustments did Philly make? I wasn't watching that closely, so I'd love your insight.

Sean McVay nor Kyle Shannahan made adjustments?

I might be wrong on this, but Turner’s adjustments hurt the team. After a first half full of misdirections, pitches, end around, etc. the play calling became really predictable and safe. Dives up the middle, one yard pass routes, etc. 

His father was like that too. Get a lead and then play not to lose it until you fall behind. 

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Wildbunny said:

I know, we've been hit hard, s it's not surprising by any means.

What pisses me much, (and it's a huge exageration here, I'm mostly don't care in fact), it's not really the loss, but more that I would have loved to ruin Philly's playoffs' hopes.

Yeah I agree.  It would have been nice to knock them out.

But at some point, you’re just so limited, it’s hard to operate.

My frustration is I don’t think we do enough things to make life easier for the QB and the OL.  

Three examples of this are:

1: using no huddle.  Get to the line quickly snd call the game from there.  This keeps the same defensive personnel on the field and generally results in more “base” coverages.  

2: move the pocket.  If you just drop the QB back, the DL knows wheee he’s going to be. 

3: do everything you can to stay out of 3rd down known passing situations.  This means throwing a lot on first down.  Which gives you another shot on second if you throw incomplete.  If you complete, then you have either a run or pass option on second down

We fall in love with running on first down, drop the Qb to the same spot, and get into known passing situations too much.  This allows the defense to pin their ears back and really exploit our diminished OL and limited QB.

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I’m not sure about Jack and the DL coach. 

I agree with most of the rest.  But there clearly was an issue on the DL, and the defense underperformed to a degree where I think a change is warranted.

Benching Kurl for Collins at safety early in the year is a fireable offense.  It took Jack 5 weeks to figure out that problem, when it was obvious to even the most casual fan 2 years ago. 

We had one star coach and that was Matsko who kept making the line work until these past few weeks. He really did a nice job considering how many times we had to shuffle the line. We lost twenty, six thousand centers this year, several hundred guards, and more tackles than even Landon Collins could miss. 

33 minutes ago, Macster said:

I'd love to see what we'd Look like with a healthy team. We finished the last 5 games of the season with half of our team out on IR or covid. You can't win in this league with half of your back ups playing. 4 of 5 OL starters out. Top  2 RBs out. Topt TE out. 2 of 4 top wrs out. Starting QB out.

Top 2 DEs out, top  2 LBs out, 2 of 4 DBs out.  

Just ridiculous. 

We have been the most injured team in the league the past 3 yrs. Should we get rid of our trainers and strength and conditioning coaches??

They may need to purchase a really good rabbit's foot and some easily accessible wood they can knock on whenever someone talks about injuries.

Edited by cakmoney61

31 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I dont believe .500 or a game over was unreasonable coming into August given our defense carried us in 2020 then we added Fitz and Samuel. 

Having both miss nearly every game is some snakebite BS of the highest order, there's no backup plan for that.

It sucks our defense couldn't find themselves until mid-season then COVID and injuries finished them off.

It jus seems like everything that could go wrong did go wrong this year, im frustrated like everyone else, jus have to call it as it is that some major factors in our season we in our control and many weren't. At no point did we have everyone we thought we'd be starting the season with, it be like that sometimes.

And on top of all of that, they had one of the hardest schedules in the NFL.  (I apologize for the back-to-back posts)

Edited by cakmoney61
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

A game over .500 isn’t good.

An actual good team that got decimated was the Ravens imo. Today they lost by 1 without their star QB. That’s a good team that was super unlucky. If we played the Rams we get blown out.   

i think we are a mediocre team.