Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Perpetually Pissed Philly vs The Legend of Taylor Heinicke: The Rematch

TK
Message added by TK,

238171562_ScreenShot2022-01-02at3_49_55PM.thumb.png.173f23c1dd180a90b4d76545c9a7f3b0.png

13 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think the only way Terry stays here is if we nail the QB position this offseason and whichever QB we draft or end up with looks really good in 2022. It's got to be incredibly frustrating for Terry to be so good but never really near his potential production due to having crap QBs throwing to him for years. If he had a top 10 QB he'd be an All Pro IMO.

I think plenty of teams will be willing to pay Terry penty of money, and plenty of those teams will have way better QB situations than we do. Sure, we drafted him and gave him his big shot to playin the NFL. But that doesn't suddenly change the business end of things. Do you really think if after next sweason the Chargers, KC, the Bills, or the Cards (just to name a few) came calling and all offered Terry big money he'd really stick around with the WFT dumpster fire? Not a chance.

I have a feeling he'll end up gone.

We’d tag him. Hardly ideal though.

5 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

The loss of both Samuel and Thomas has been massive. Agree that Bruce banked on injury history players and it failed. Are Brown and Bates going to develop enough to fill an voids. Tough call.

Just feels like we still need to add a RB, WR and TE via the draft or FA.

Oh, and a QB amongst other things.

We definitely need to add a RB to complement Gibson.  There's a HUGE question at RB with McKissic, because he's been very valuable, and is a FA.  I think they need to get a guy who's a better running back than Gibson to take 15-20 carries per game.  (Btw, that works out to around 4-5 carries a quarter.  Gibson just can't take the load, and he's just not a true RB.  

They need to use Gibson in the Edgerin James/Marshall Faulk role.  Give him the ball a few times, but also split him out wide, put him in the slot, use him as a receiver. He's a mismatch for a CB because of his toughness, but he's fast and can run routes.  I don't know IF they will do this, but they should.

Hump is a FA, so they need to fill that void somehow.  And they have to pray to the football Gods Samuel recovers and is what he was supposed to be.  

TE is interesting.  They have Bates, who has really developed.  RSJ is a FA, who they could theoretically bring back if they wanted to.  Thomas will come back at some point next year. The wild card is Reyes.  If he actually develops, then he's the answer. if he doesn't, he's not. And we don't know the status of that...

They also need a RG assuming Scherff leaves in the off-season.  And their LT is a FA.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Yep. And cant blame him one bit. 

Yeah. I corrected it to 9 years instead of a decade. Solid drafting regardless. 

Well, don't forget that they didn't HAVE to draft a QB for about 7 years.

They had Griffin, who won Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2012. (And they traded 2 additional #1's and a #2 to get.  Which is a lot of draft capital to give up, so he was going to get 3 years regardless.  He basically got 3 years, 2012 - 2014 before everybody figured out he couldn't do it.  

Then they had Cousins for the next 3 years (2015 - 2017).  Now, I would agree they should have drafted a QB in 2016 somewhere as an insurance policy to Cousins leaving.  But Bruce was an idiot, what can I say.

Then they traded for Alex Smith in 2018, and didn't need to draft a QB then.

The next time they really NEEDED to draft a QB was in 2019, and they did. But Dan was an idiot and drafted Haskins.   

Also keep in mind Jay LOVED him some Colt McCoy.  Who was the backup for ages.  So they weren't really in the market for a backup, mid-round QB either.

What they really screwed up was the Cousins contract situation, and then they got massively unlucky with the Smith injury.

THEN Dan screwed the pooch by drafting Haskins. 

I'm not going to argue they should have drafted better, and maybe drafted a QB or two along the way.  I agree.

But context does matter, and the starting QB spot was basically "taken" from 2012-2018.  And the backup job was also spoken for for that period of time.  

• Like 2

On 1/2/2022 at 3:54 PM, zskins said:

It was the ****ing D that lost us the game. smdh!

In the runup to this game Philly had been averaging 27 points scored and 21 points allowed. They scored 20 on us and we scored 17 on them. So which unit exactly was the weak link again? Your endless proclamations that it's almost always the defense's fault when we lose games keeps running into the buzzsaw of facts, but that never seems to stop or even slow you down.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

We’d tag him. Hardly ideal though.

Yeah good point, and I wouldn't be all that surprised if we have to go that route. But it just sucks because whenever we get a marquee player (or at least a decent one at a marquee position) they almost never want to stay (for various reasons) so we end up tagging them and then eventually get either nothing or next to nothing in return. Trent, Kirk, Scherff (almost no chance he re-signs here), next up will probably be Terry.

• Like 1