Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: WFT vs. Seahawks

KDawg

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

What's the name of that awful back we had last year? Last nights game is why I wanted to keep him over Patterson. That dude can always get you one yard.

The old Leroy Hoard quote "if you need 3 yards, I'll get you 4. If you need 5 yards, I'll get you 4". 

Yeah, we are missing Peyton Barber, and I will admit I thought keeping Patterson over him was the right call.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, MassSkinsFan said:

I’ve said before that Cheeseman is a concern for me. He has accuracy issues. On that blocked PAT he delivered it nearly behind the holder’s back. Not sure how much that contributed (nice recovery by the holder) but I’ve been seeing issues with his consistency. Anyone else notice that?

I think for the most part he's been pretty consistent.  Ever snapper has a bad snap every now and then.  It happens.  You're snapping the ball faster than a QB can throw it, backwards, through your legs, and there's a 300lb person across from you who's about to knock you on your ass.  It's going to lead to a bad snap every so often.  

He hasn't been the problem this year. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, max21 said:

Landon Collins is actually fun to watch now 

Yeah..

I'm pretty sure he is secretly pleased with his new hybrid linebacking position.  One more game like this and I will need someone from the press to put the question to him positive light.

😏  

• Like 2

Ron Rivera

-- On the team's resilience:  
"I think because, first of all, one thing is I think we've done a good job in personnel in terms of having the depth we needed. It started last year. I thought last year, those guys did a good job. We brought in good depth on the offensive (and) defensive line. That's really what it's about. Being able to have guys that are ready to play and guys that have the ability to play more than one position and get them back in. That's huge and that's been big for us."

-- On continuing to improve as the season goes on:  
"Well, again, I think a lot of it has to do with just how we've come together, how our guys are learning and understanding what we do and how we do it. It took a little time. There was a number of new faces out there. We're getting some faces back on the field, which is kinda nice to see."

-- On containing Seahawks QB Russell Wilson:
"Yes, that was one of the things that we talked about was being disciplined on the rush. We really felt that if we can just keep the edges and keep him inside, we would have success. And unfortunately, the two times we didn't. Once he ran a quarterback draw for like 11, 12 yards. Then the last one, he threw that last touchdown pass because he was able to step up and complete it. I thought we – for the most part – handled the rush assignments. Really pleased with what [Defensive Coordinator] Jack [Del Rio] had going as far as that with [Defensive Line Coach] Sam Mills [III] and, and the defensive line. They were very disciplined and we know how dangerous Russell is."

• Like 2

Collins still not happy about his new role. But why? He is playing really good though....

Landon Collins

-- On his forced fumble:
"I thought [QB] Russell [Wilson] was going to take off for the first down but he threw it to the back. I just grabbed [RB Alex] Collins from the back, hit it out, I've been doing that since High School. Had a big play from there, I just always kept it in my back pocket."

-- On three wins on a row after struggling before the bye:
"It's awesome, it's not awesome to lose 4-5 but it's awesome to be winning now. We just staying humble honestly, keeping our head down. Staying focused taking each game at a time and making things work from there."

-- On his position switch in the defensive scheme:
"I'm still not thrilled about it but regardless of wherever they put me at on the field I'm going to try to make the best out of the opportunity. Make plays as much as possible and if they call on my name I'm going to do so. I'm a team player so as long we're winning and I'm helping the team win, I'm good with that."

• Thumb up 1

Tress Way

On entering the game after Kicker Joey Slye injured his hamstring:
"[K] Joey [Slye] is one of the most explosive placekickers I've ever been around. Dude's super strong, super strong leg and he tried to get out the gate and big old [DE Rasheem Green] 94 made me look like a child trying to tackle him on that blocked PAT and was battling some hammy stuff at halftime. He was really working trying to get back get going with the docks and [Special Teams Coordinator Nate Kaczor] comes up to me after and said hey can you kick off and I said, I can kick off he said well what are you expecting I said I'll try and get it close to the goal line and ain't going to be really high. Well hopefully we can get down and smack them in the mouth and make some tackles, and so, came out and kicked off and it was a rush being out there for sure."

On being told that he was going to be kicking off:
"The first two coming out of half time I kicked them off and I just thought, crap, they're not going very far, this isn't good it's been 7-8 years since I've kicked off. I started getting it going a little bit and that first one to open the second half I think I take 7 or 8 steps into the ball, so it was "oh my god..." I was thinking just please don't hit it out of bounds and just try to get it down there and hit nice and easy, hit it fat and let it get down there and it ended up working out alright. And then the first one they had a penalty so we backed them up even further so, yeah, it was fun to be emotionally invested in a kickoff again, I don't want to do it again, but I will if I need to for sure."

On if he wanted to kick a field goal:
"I did want to. Here's the deal our defense was rolling. They had an awesome night. So, I'm thinking, I'm sitting there with [QB] Kyle Allen, Kyle Allen would be my holder. The funniest part about that, Kyle Allen asked me, hey you're lefty right? I go yes that's a good start, I'm lefty, let's make sure we're on the right side. He was working with [LS Camaron Cheeseman] and he goes I'm ready if you are. I go I'm ready, we were talking it was kind of the roulette wheel let's red or black. I'm going to hit it maybe from 20 yards away, it might be good. I think that would be the one thing missing from my resume I've got going here, I got to complete some passes, some tackles, things like that, that would've been some sweet icing on the cake. I just asked coach how close were you? I was pretty close, they told me how we were looking, I said I don't blame you; we won the game that's all that matters. I got some texts from my old buddies in high school saying we wanted to see some old school Tress."

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Im still pissed about them overturning the TD catch for Logan Thomas, where was the irrefutable evidence that he didn't make the catch...

Same. If it takes you more than a minute to review, it’s by definition not clear and obvious evidence. 

And that was after that really questionable holding call on Scherff on the long Gibson run that also could have iced that game. They called it because he “took the player down” but it was mostly the defender’s momentum that did that. Scherff had already sealed that lane and the defender had no angle on Gibson, making it irrelevant. 

And the pass interference on the last Seattle drive. Definitely some contact but that is often not called. Maybe a 5yd holding penalty but they have them 30. Refs kept Seattle in that game a long time after they were dead. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think for the most part he's been pretty consistent.  Ever snapper has a bad snap every now and then.  It happens.  You're snapping the ball faster than a QB can throw it, backwards, through your legs, and there's a 300lb person across from you who's about to knock you on your ass.  It's going to lead to a bad snap every so often.  

He hasn't been the problem this year. 

I understand LS. I did it in Pop Warner, HS and college. I agree you have bad snaps. I had my share. But I’m talking about consistent delivery to the holder’s hands. Like a pitcher targeting the catcher’s mitt. 

When LS gets it right, the holder only needs to lower the ball to the ground and maybe rotate the laces to the front. I’m seeing the holder move the ball before lowering it to the ground, more often than I’d like to see. 

I hope he turns into Red Snapper Jr. over time but right now I worry. 

• Like 2

The offense is weird in that for such long stretches it looks so effective, but that dominance doesn't often enough translate to the scoreboard. I do think yesterday was a bit of a mirage. Heinike's  pick stole points from us. Refs stole some more, and losing our kicker prevented us from icing the game. So, while it's not to ponder what ifs, it's also not a stretch to understand we dominated that game.  

But what I really should focus on is the D. We finally had a game where we were forcing three and outs and punts. That was great to see! So often, I remember hearing the complaints that the D got tired out because our O was ineffective. My thought was always... "There's nothing wrong with trading three and outs to keep our D fresh."

Last thought, Gibson post benching continues to impress. I wonder if that really lit a fire under him or changed something in how he played.

Edited by Burgold

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

I'd say the defense allowing an average of 30 points per game, pre-November was a bigger reason.

Worst team in the NFL in terms of points allowed.  Starting in November, it has gone down to 18.5 per game and they rank 10th in the league.  

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-points-per-game?date=2021-10-31

The 4 game losing streak happened because we couldn’t put the ball in the end zone. The Saints scored some points when the defense was worn out but the next 3 games were 100% on the offense for not taking advantage of opportunity. Against Green Bay we were inside the 10 3-4 times and scored 10 points. Against KC we turned them over 2-3 times and scored a whopping 3 points off those turnovers. How is that on the defense? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zskins said:

Collins still not happy about his new role. But why? He is playing really good though....

It's pride.  His football identity has been tied up into being a safety, and he's in his prime (he's only 27) and is being told he's not good at it now.  He's not trying to accept that. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Monkman56 said:

Overall great win. Very methodical. But I'm thinking someone needs to practice some chip shot field goals. The game would have been looong over if we kicked one in on that last drive. 

Yeah. Somewhere between OTAs, preseason, and now, you think they'd have made plans for an emergency kicker. If nothing else, just having guys goofing around to see who could do it.  There has to be someone on the team that can make a field goal from the three yard line.

I just se… I mean we just won.  

But offense didn’t score many points even with double the amount of plays.  

Still counts

But kicker got his leg ripped off

Still counts

But RB got knocked the hell out

Still counts

But special times tries to lose a onside kick twice 

Still counts

I just had se.. We just won.

Edited by RichmondRedskin88
  • Like 2

Just now, Burgold said:

There has to be someone on the team that can make a field goal from the three yard line.

I think the fear was it would get blocked more-so than having someone unavailable to knock in a chip shot

Really felt Logan and Samuel in limited snaps. Getting them out there more will help the O a lot. Sometimes points are such a struggle to come by for us, and that should not have been the case last night.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Willing to bet that Wilson would have run a lot more with Young and Sweat and their deep rushes.

Riddick made some comment pre kickoff about how the DEs we’re going to have their hands full with Wilson running because they were missing Young and Sweat.  At the time I felt that the backups would do a better job of containing him.  His only real good run was when the front was spread so far wide there was nobody over the center or inside shoulders of the guards.

4 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Riddick made some comment pre kickoff about how the DEs we’re going to have their hands full with Wilson running because they were missing Young and Sweat.  At the time I felt that the backups would do a better job of containing him.  His only real good run was when the front was spread so far wide there was nobody over the center or inside shoulders of the guards.

Man that play drove me crazy. I said to my puppy, who was the only one in the room, that Wilson is going to do a QB draw right up the middle.

So the team is winning and Collins and Fuller have started to play well.  I surely never expected this, guess I'll have to start watching again after they had been relegated to what they showed on Red Zone for the past few weeks.  

1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Man that play drove me crazy. I said to my puppy, who was the only one in the room, that Wilson is going to do a QB draw right up the middle.

So the team is winning and Collins and Fuller have started to play well.  I surely never expected this, guess I'll have to start watching again after they had been relegated to what they showed on Red Zone for the past few weeks.  

I said the same thing to my dogs. Maybe when we change the name, we can appoint a wolf to HC, so the dogs have a direct line.

• Haha 1

I don't think we realized how selfishly Young and Sweat were playing.  We knew, but didn't know how bad it was.

No team can afford that.  A serious discussion should happen in the off-season about splitting them up.

Curious about Shaka Toney.  The team clearly doesn't think he can handle run contain.  He seems to only come onto the field in pass only circumstances.  Bucs and Seahawks at the end of the game to help defend a hurry up offense.  If we can use him otherwise...

With Holcomb, Davis, and Collins playing miraculously better and the looking like they're capable of improving more.  Maybe LB isn't such a need in the draft.

We need some chunk plays on offense.  Offense is working well, but against some teams you need to get lucky and have an explosive play break one.  Seahawks offense stunk but they almost tied it from like 2-3 big plays.

• Like 3