Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: WFT vs. Seahawks

KDawg

1 hour ago, MrJL said:

the really nice thing about this win was we managed it without having to play perfect or having the Seahawks give it to us

And we could've won by two TD's had that TD not been overturned...We dominated the Seahawks last night, just gotta clean up a few things and get better in the redzone.

1 hour ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Loved the game last night. Effort and execution were both fantastic. There’s always gonna be some plays left on the field, especially for a middle of the pack team. 

As much as I liked what I saw from Toney and JSW, I think this “selfish” narrative with regards to Young and Sweat has gotten out of hand. 

To my stoned eye, I thought Sweat was our best defensive player last season. Chase was DROY. Both in this scheme. 

Do they maybe try to do too much at times? Sure. Selfish? That sounds like a character attack to me. I personally don’t care for it. They’ve struggled this season for sure, but my money is on both guys figuring it out. Just a little early to be eating our own. 

What else do you call freelancing through abandoning your rush lanes or run fits in an attempt to get around the OL?  If you get sacks to compensate, awesome, if you don't though then the QB has multiple avenues to escape the pocket, buy time, and shred the coverage.  That's how Mahomes got his groove on against us.  It's how Daniel Jones was uncharacteristically good against us.  Etc.

If that's not selfish play, then is it even possible to have selfish play?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

What else do you call freelancing through abandoning your rush lanes or run fits in an attempt to get around the OL?  If you get sacks to compensate, awesome, if you don't though then the QB has multiple avenues to escape the pocket, buy time, and shred the coverage.  That's how Mahomes got his groove on against us.  It's how Daniel Jones was uncharacteristically good against us.  Etc.

how exactly do you know where their rush lanes are?

1 minute ago, MrJL said:

They are called gap assignments. Logan Paulson said the reason the D is playing so good right now is they are not messing up their gap assignment. If one person doesn't align up correctly it messes up the other on the line. He didn't say Chase was doing this but said the D has gotten their act together after the bye. I need to go back and watch the Tampa game again and see if the D started playing better after Chase went out. 

12 minutes ago, zskins said:

I used to live in AZ and went to Vegas a lot. Lots of good time and memories. :D

One day if the stars align maybe I can go to a game there too. it would be an excuse to see Vegas again.  :)

Excuse? I got one for ya...

Just say you need to see the Legend of Taylor Heinicke beat da Raiders and stay up all night drinking with hookers at a poker tournament. Can only do that in Vegas.

You're Welcome.

• Haha 3

Speaking of Landon...

I was surfing Heinicke passing break-down videos and stumbled upon this.

It's pretty cool to see him as a heat-seeking missile at the LOS.   Even Coach Rivera mentioned in the interview today how Landon's been a different player as a heavy nickel.

Enjoy!

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 2

Love how this defense played. Interior DL is feasting and secondary did phenomenal other than the last 2 minute drive.

Antonio Gibson is really good, keep feeding the man! He had a real levbell look with his vision on the outside runs, he just lacks that first step burst, but vision is improving.

scott turner is handcuffing the potential. I LOVE the ToP domination but the ultra conservative 3rd or 4th and 1 play calls were gutless. It was like he was playing rock paper scissor, but thought it was called rock rock rock. Look at the potential results if he got so original to even run it outside (if scherff doesn’t hold). I just want some “put the foot on the throat” playcalls. Dominating ToP, but not the scoreboard against bad teams can work, but it won’t against good teams.

Let heinecke ball. I’ve been a huge fan and want to see the coaches trust him more. He’s got a lot of Russ Wilson in him.

9 hours ago, MrJL said:

If they are outside their role is to rush without creating a vertical gap.

When you see them rush so far upfield that they wind up on the opposite side of the QB they are not in their lane.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I said this before, the coaches totally screwed up the chemistry the team had last year in the secondary by Moving Fuller inside, and having St. Juice outside, flipping Darby for WJIII, re-inserting Collins at safety, essentially benching Curl.  

They've since gone back to more what was working last year: Fuller outside with WJIII, Curl in the middle making plays.  McCain playing FS, which last year was a revolving door of guys.  

Listening to Rivera yesterday, he said that one big pass play was about a miscommunication yesterday, he didn't say who was to blame on the miscommunication.  But I know from other reporters that they've heard that Jackson is often the culprit of the communication mishaps.  The good news is Rivera said that was the only miscommunication in that game and that the communication has improved greatly in the backend.  

Jackson had one of his better games yesterday.   Among other things he was leading the league for a spell in penalities so that seems to have settled down, too.  If he gets his stuff together which he might be combined with Fuller playing well and Johnson emerging in the slot -- that might be making all the difference.   Our secondary earlish this season was not just the worst in the NFL but it was also nationally mocked -- I recall one national analyist talking about how the who has who covered -- I thought it was you, no I thought you got him as a WFT thing.

6 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

How can Collins not be thrilled about playing his best football since he's been here lol. Doesn't he like individual success?

With Collins, listening to him in the past including when he was with the Giants, he takes great pride of being in his mind a great safety.  Heck Sean was his hero as we know.  He played it in Bama.  He was an All Pro safety in NY.  His decline at that spot is in a way odd.  I recall when he was with NY, he'd kill us at times.  He was all over the field.  Granted coverage was his weakness but he was not a train wreck in coverage there, the way he's been here. 

So I am gathering ego wise its a hit forn Collins to be defined as something other than being a safety.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

With Collins, listening to him in the past including when he was with the Giants, he takes great pride of being in his mind a great safety.  Heck Sean was his hero as we know.  He played it in Bama.  He was an All Pro safety in NY.  His decline at that spot is in a way odd.  I recall when he was with NY, he'd kill us at times.  He was all over the field.  Granted coverage was his weakness but he was not a train wreck in coverage there, the way he's been here. 

So I am gathering ego wise its a hit forn Collins to be defined as something other than being a safety.

No doubt it is ego with Collins. Dare say there’s an element of Diva about him too. Can’t see him getting big money around the league as a SS next season, so maybe he has a change of perspective over the coming months....if both the team and him personally have more success...

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

No doubt it is ego with Collins. Dare say there’s an element of Diva about him too. Can’t see him getting big money around the league as a SS next season, so maybe he has a change of perspective over the coming months....if both the team and him personally have more success...

Agree.  Keim's podcasts give me the impression that they likely now bring back Collins, they are so happy with how he's playing in that new role.  If so Collins financially speaking should be thrilled because he's one of the highest paid safeties in the league but if he were back in the market I'd think no way he'd get a salary that matches what's he's already getting.

• Like 1

PFF Coverage grades

Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 8.01.03 AM.png

I don't have a link to it since I got it as an email

Washington’s CBs showing signs of improvement

Taking a closer look at the improved play from Washington’s starting cornerbacks

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.substack.com%
mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.substack.com% Dec 1 mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.substack.com% Comment Share

An underrated aspect of Washington’s defensive performance against the Seahawks was the play of its cornerbacks. Kendall Fuller and William Jackson have come under fire a lot this season for mistakes, and certainly deserved some criticism for their play earlier in the year. Since the bye week, however, Washington has reverted to more zone coverages and playing more simple assignment football, which has enabled both Fuller and Jackson to play better. 

...Jackson’s coverage has been heavily criticized this season, but it was solid against the Seahawks. It appears as though he’s starting to get to grips with the new techniques and terminology Washington uses compared to what he was used to in Cincinnati. He’s starting to get on the same page as the rest of the defense, which is enabling him to play better.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

That's not what they were doing though.  PFF graded both of them well this season, especially in run defense.  People have built up this narrative about them because they weren't getting sacks, but they were both generating pressure and playing good run defense.

The DL was never our problem on defense this season.  Not even remotely.  It was the hellishly bad back seven play coupled with the offense being unable to sustain possessions.  And the turnaround for the defense came because Kendall Fuller and William Jackson started playing way better, Curl started playing and shining, and Landon Collins went from being awful to an impact player plus the run game and short.passing game has taken off for the offense and they stopped turning it over so much.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That's not what they were doing though.  PFF graded both of them well this season, especially in run defense.  People have built up this narrative about them because they weren't getting sacks, but they were both generating pressure and playing good run defense.

The DL was never our problem on defense this season.  Not even remotely.  It was the hellishly bad back seven play coupled with the offense being unable to sustain possessions.  And the turnaround for the defense came because Kendall Fuller and William Jackson started playing way better, Curl started playing and shining, and Landon Collins went from being awful to an impact player plus the run game and short.passing game has taken off for the offense and they stopped turning it over so much.

I disagree. The DEs were absolutely an issue. The interior wasn’t. Our DEs are clearly playing more scheme based at this point.

You’re right that our secondary was and still is an issue. And they are responsible for the explosive plays, not the DL.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

PFF Coverage grades

Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 8.01.03 AM.png

I don't have a link to it since I got it as an email

Washington’s CBs showing signs of improvement

Taking a closer look at the improved play from Washington’s starting cornerbacks

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.substack.com%
mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.substack.com% Dec 1 mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.substack.com% Comment Share

An underrated aspect of Washington’s defensive performance against the Seahawks was the play of its cornerbacks. Kendall Fuller and William Jackson have come under fire a lot this season for mistakes, and certainly deserved some criticism for their play earlier in the year. Since the bye week, however, Washington has reverted to more zone coverages and playing more simple assignment football, which has enabled both Fuller and Jackson to play better. 

...Jackson’s coverage has been heavily criticized this season, but it was solid against the Seahawks. It appears as though he’s starting to get to grips with the new techniques and terminology Washington uses compared to what he was used to in Cincinnati. He’s starting to get on the same page as the rest of the defense, which is enabling him to play better.

This is so funny. Fans were ****ing about JDR playing too much zone and blaming the secondary issues on that, while we mostly played man. Now we're playing mostly zone and fans think it's better because we're playing man.

The coach hate on both sides of the ball is laughable. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

This is so funny. Fans were ****ing about JDR playing too much zone and blaming the secondary issues on that, while we mostly played man. Now we're playing mostly zone and fans think it's better because we're playing man.

The coach hate on both sides of the ball is laughable. 

Remember, the primary definition of "fan" is a brainless object which blows air.......

• Haha 4

21 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

The 4 game losing streak happened because we couldn’t put the ball in the end zone. The Saints scored some points when the defense was worn out but the next 3 games were 100% on the offense for not taking advantage of opportunity. Against Green Bay we were inside the 10 3-4 times and scored 10 points. Against KC we turned them over 2-3 times and scored a whopping 3 points off those turnovers. How is that on the defense? 

I seem to recall the defense just...standing there when Winston threw the hail mary before the half.  I also remember them not being able to stop a nose bleed, let alone an NFL offense.  I also remember Hopkins missing multiple field goals against Green Bay.  Yes, averaging 30 points given up in the first 8 games was absolutely on the defense.  Heinicke had to play hero ball just to eek out 2 of those wins.  

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I disagree. The DEs were absolutely an issue. The interior wasn’t. Our DEs are clearly playing more scheme based at this point.

You’re right that our secondary was and still is an issue. And they are responsible for the explosive plays, not the DL.

Not just the secondary but the linebackers have been awful too.  And it wasn't just the big plays they were responsible for giving up but the constant third down conversions.  Teams came into the year knowing they were going to have to nickel and dime us mostly so they did it and it worked extremely well because our back seven couldn't hold up.

I get that Chase and Montez didn't play as well as we hoped coming into the year given we hoped.for absolute dominance, but they objectively did play well.  They absolutely did.  Montez has a 74.4 overall PFF grade and Chase has a 75.5 grade and both of those are good scores.  Those aren't far off Terry McLaurin's overall score of 78.8 for this season, for comparison.  The way they've been scapegoated on this board has been absurd.  How about we focus on the guys scoring in the 30s and 40s and 50s throughout our back seven to identify the actual problems?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

the offense being unable to sustain possessions.  

This is a strange take.

Especially at the beginning of the year, everyone was surprised at how well the offense was doing. Even when they couldn't score, they were moving well between the 20's. It was pretty much the inverse of what we expected coming into the season. The D was awful and it wasn't because the O wasn't lifting its weight.