Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariota and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

19 minutes ago, TurningTheCorner said:

Yep it either means Maye is the true number 2 in most teams eyes or that the Giants/Vikings prefer Daniels. My guess is that they want Daniels and someone planted a seed to make it seem like passing on Maye would be idiotic (maybe it is). I have a hard time believing the collusion it would take for so many sources around the league believe Daniels is number 2 and report it out that way but who knows. 

Both agents are working overtime to control the narrative. 

Listening to Cooley will definitely get you pumped up about Daniels. He's in love with him as a prospect, has him higher than Caleb and raves about him.

He's just straight up unconcerned about durability. It is what it is. ****, maybe he's right?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

So John Beck has been working with Daniels for 2-3 years and knows him super well. Rich Eisen asked him about the durability concern and he just sort of shrugged and said "hey you never know, but he hasn't really missed significant time in college and he knows he needs to protect himself better."

That's it. Um, okay. Well in the NFL the players and bigger and faster and there are several more games. It really does not inspire much confidence but I don't think there's a better answer out there. Either you think he'll avoid huge hits and stay healthy or you don't. It seems a lot of us on this board are in the latter category because of RG3 while most coaches/scouts are betting on the former, and it's not any more "scientific" or sophisticated than that. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Listening to Cooley will definitely get you pumped up about Daniels. He's in love with him as a prospect, has him higher than Caleb and raves about him.

He's just straight up unconcerned about durability. It is what it is. ****, maybe he's right?

Don't you dare flip sides on me now haha I need all the JJ support I can get 😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, FlyBigBeard said:

Don't you dare flip sides on me now haha I need all the JJ support I can get 😂

Funny enough, even though Cooley is higher on Maye than McCarthy, I still like JJ. But for any other pro-Maye folks who want help getting over him if he isn't the pick, Cooley highlighted some clear negatives. Said he was a mediocre processor and "consistently inaccurate". Really made him out to be a project, maybe not Josh Allen-level, but high-risk / high-reward.

To me, whatever my biases are, I treat the red flag on Daniels as bigger than league consensus and the red flag on McCarthy as lower than league consensus. Probably in part bc I'm not a pro scout / tape junkie, I'm way over-indexing on leadership & intangibles and the RG3 PTSD has me very sensitive to durability concerns. It is what it is.

I could be dead wrong. If it's Daniels, as it really appears it will be, I will root like hell for him and cheer like crazy when he rips off big runs. But I don't anticipate having any changes of heart between now and Thursday. Time to let it ride and see what happens! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

WTF!!?? 

Is RGIII stoned?

Can someone translate that gibberish into old man English?

There's not enough hours in the day to explain this reference and the underlying comparison, my advice would be to ignore it because it's about a stupid cartoon that you never would have seen if you aren't of millennial  age :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Funny enough, even though Cooley is higher on Maye than McCarthy, I still like JJ. But for any other pro-Maye folks who want help getting over him if he isn't the pick, Cooley highlighted some clear negatives. Said he was a mediocre processor and "consistently inaccurate". Really made him out to be a project, maybe not Josh Allen-level, but high-risk / high-reward.

To me, whatever my biases are, I treat the red flag on Daniels as bigger than league consensus and the red flag on McCarthy as lower than league consensus. Probably in part bc I'm not a pro scout / tape junkie, I'm way over-indexing on leadership & intangibles and the RG3 PTSD has me very sensitive to durability concerns. It is what it is.

I could be dead wrong. If it's Daniels, as it really appears it will be, I will root like hell for him and cheer like crazy when he rips off big runs. But I don't anticipate having any changes of heart between now and Thursday. Time to let it ride and see what happens! 

Oh the PTSD is real I can still see RG3 leg wrap around the back of Haloti Ngata like a wet limp noodle. And I have no doubt unfortunately that Daniels will miss time do to injuries because of his slender frame and playing style (reckless like RG3)  He is the Wish version of RG3 and that's not good. 

Edited by FlyBigBeard
  • Like 2

I think that Scout D account is run by Maye's agent lol.

That dude has been in the weeds this whole cycle.

38 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

There's not enough hours in the day to explain this reference and the underlying comparison, my advice would be to ignore it because it's about a stupid cartoon that you never would have seen if you aren't of millennial  age :)

Hes a good and respectable fighter/football player, but he can't go super sayian so he's virtually useless against big-bads/winning championships.

Boom

tumblr_odut0mC9wn1v9gbpno1_640.gif.ff74f67959d9c84a8df4edb5a83d3d0f.gif

• Haha 2

Eisen, Florio and Simms all pushing today that the rumors are that Daniels does not want to come to Washington, with Simms saying he heard Daniels had cold feet about Washington even prior to Top Golf-Gate.

Keim saying to ignore the noise and that the team doesn't care what he or the agent think, if they want him they're taking him.

There you go. Daniels is probably hoping we pass and he drops to 3 where NE is open for business and Antonio Pierce can make the Godfather offer. Peters prob doesn't give a **** and is going to take him if he's the guy (*if* he's the guy).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

Just watched drakes 2022 all throws and runs.

If we pass on him we're gonna regret it.

I started the process with this as an assumption, but knew I needed more information.

I’m ending the process in the same place despite over a month actively trying to convince myself otherwise. 

How can this not be the guy? [the first throw is gimmicky but athletic, the rest are much more impressive]

Success in adversity despite inconsistent mechanics. Lots and lots of tape making unreal throws through a special creativity trait after suffering pressure. It just translates. Don’t laugh but I see the glimpses of *whispers* Mahomes that people say they see in Caleb (and of course I see it there as well). 

I’ve watched a ton of Daniels by now. I just don’t see it. And I want to very very badly because I’m prepared for him to be the pick. Even just watching his JBomb highlight package again earlier tonight, going for more of a hype viewing than anything bc of the noise around him, I counted like 3 corner endzone TD passes that are supposedly a strength of his—and they’re INT’s in the NFL if the DB has a clue where he is. It’s a tiny example but the runs scare me rather than ignite me, and the throws just don’t bring me joy. Very few difficult throws (now I’m talking about his random cut-ups, not his highlights) compared to an average Maye game.

I just struggle to see the evidence of “NFL polish” that everyone takes for granted. I don’t want to hear about NFL-level processing because 90% of people who say that have no clue what they’re looking at or what he’s being asked to read and why he made the decisions he did. Most people are just repeating it because someone else said it—it’s one of the hardest traits to actually identify in a prolific college passer, even for NFL evaluators. We don’t have a clue about it. You see his helmet swivel throughout his drop in the pocket from the All-22 angle, then throw it over the top to a stud WR and mark down on your little excel sheet that he’s going through his progressions. You likely have no idea and neither do I lol. 

I fully admit that what we all see on “tape” (very few people here are actually trained on how to break down tape. Most media bloggers who claim to do it aren’t either) is in the eye of the beholder. My eye doesn’t see what apparently the entire NFL world allegedly does with Daniels—but I see it easily when I watch Maye. It pops. Whole thing makes me feel crazy, especially since his personality seems to line up with what we value as well (as a tie-breaker, if needed—not saying that should be the #1 or even #10 criteria). 

None of this even gets into the fact that he’ll be 24 late this season, or that he’s a 5th year senior, or that he’s built thin. I’m not going there. If he’s truly a stud none of that will matter anyway—so I’m ignoring all of that and JUST talking about watching him play football this year, at his peak, vs watching Maye play football. 

Edit to react to RWJ’s post below: I would certainly still be having this conversation if Daniels weighed 225 and Maye weighed 210. I’m not going to pretend I’m being reasonable and my only fear is his slight build. My fear is his game compared to Maye. Pure football, nothing incendiary about his size. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

So John Beck has been working with Daniels for 2-3 years and knows him super well. Rich Eisen asked him about the durability concern and he just sort of shrugged and said "hey you never know, but he hasn't really missed significant time in college and he knows he needs to protect himself better."

That's it. Um, okay. Well in the NFL the players and bigger and faster and there are several more games. It really does not inspire much confidence but I don't think there's a better answer out there. Either you think he'll avoid huge hits and stay healthy or you don't. It seems a lot of us on this board are in the latter category because of RG3 while most coaches/scouts are betting on the former, and it's not any more "scientific" or sophisticated than that. 

Spot on!  If Daniels weighed 225 lbs. none of us would be having this discussion same goes for Maye if he weighed 205-210 lbs.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I won't link the vid b/c it delves into some non-stadium topics, but Rich Eisen was talking to RG3 about the top QBs

Rich straight up asks Griff about RG3 phobia from the Washington fanbase when specifically looking at JD.

Cliffnotes

-Griff thanked him for asking b/c a lot of people were afraid to.

-Said that he himself has heard often that there are fans in washington scared of JD because he reminds them of himself

-He said the first thing to focus on is that JD is better than he was coming outta college "point-blank period"

-Followed with all the QBs in this draft class are athletic. Its the new prototype for NFL QBs. They all extend plays, they all put themselves in harms way at times.

-Dont use what happened to himself against JD

-Was confident Wash fans would want another 2012

-Just enjoy what is in front of you

-Guys are always gonna get hurt, cant stop it even w/ all the new rules. Referenced Burrow directly.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

-Guys are always gonna get hurt, cant stop it even w/ all the new rules. Referenced Burrow directly.

Thanks for the write up. However, I don’t think burrow is a good example for him to use. Burrow is known to be a bit reckless and it’s why he’s been hurt so much. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MartinC said:

I’m reminded here of when I was asked to put on weight. High calories, protein shakes, low reps/heavier weights etc etc. After close to a year I’d lost 2 pounds …

Those were the days.

I had a run like that for a bit.  Then I read about how much calories peanut butter had, changed my life in college weight wise for the better than the worse. 

4 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Eisen, Florio and Simms all pushing today that the rumors are that Daniels does not want to come to Washington, with Simms saying he heard Daniels had cold feet about Washington even prior to Top Golf-Gate.

Keim saying to ignore the noise and that the team doesn't care what he or the agent think, if they want him they're taking him.

Keim though isn't saying, he will suck up and deal with it.  He's said multiple times, he's good with coming here and people around him thinking this is one of the two best spotts for him.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, redskinss said:

I think so too.

But watching all of Daniels throws and runs.  I don't see what others don't see about him. Though to each their own.

The dude IMO will be awesome if he stays healthy.  

Agree though none of us are film experts of course.  For me I've been great and sucked at judging some QBs.  The thing I've done the best in my amateur takes on QBs over the years which I've gotten right more than wrong is scoping out QBs with bad decision making and limited accuracy.

Both Daniels and Maye meet my eye test on that front and meet it with flying colors as i detailed a weekend plus ago.  But will see. 

My bet is those two will be top 10 QBs.  Will see.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I know you're kidding, but if you were, let's say, a junior scout for a team that is less tight lipped than we currently are and you knew 5 days before the draft who that team was going to select, the temptation to have a confederate make a wager for you, that's nearly guaranteed money, would be overwhelming for some.

With the prevalence of legalized gambling in many states, sooner or later, something like this will inevitably occur. I don't see how the NFL can prevent it.

Yeah I gather it would be tempting

• Thumb up 1

I'm still in favor of milking #2 for 2 first round picks plus gravy

But this is the first draft in a long time where I'm not so heart stuck on any one player that I"ll be pissed if they don't take them.

I mean remember when we missed Santana Moss?

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I won't link the vid b/c it delves into some non-stadium topics, but Rich Eisen was talking to RG3 about the top QBs

Rich straight up asks Griff about RG3 phobia from the Washington fanbase when specifically looking at JD.

Cliffnotes

-Griff thanked him for asking b/c a lot of people were afraid to.

-Said that he himself has heard often that there are fans in washington scared of JD because he reminds them of himself

-He said the first thing to focus on is that JD is better than he was coming outta college "point-blank period"

-Followed with all the QBs in this draft class are athletic. Its the new prototype for NFL QBs. They all extend plays, they all put themselves in harms way at times.

-Dont use what happened to himself against JD

-Was confident Wash fans would want another 2012

-Just enjoy what is in front of you

Wow RG3 admitting Daniels is better than him.

IMO Daniels sees the field better, has better touch, is the better runner.  RG3 was likely a hair faster and had the stronger arm.

I've never backed off being worried about Daniels getting hurt.  Watching Maye some more, I don't think that dude by the way is fool proof from injury, he throws himself out there a lot -- but not as much as Daniels but its not like Maye has a rocked up build, Maye is tall but not rocked up. He's if anything a bt lanky.  Daniels though puts himself out there the most for sure and needs to out on weight.  The dude who actually doesn't risk himself and I wish he did more ironically is McCarthy.  McCarthy has some wheels but seems reluctant to use them.

When I first watched Daniels and Maye back to back, I commented months ago on the draft thread -- Daniels > Maye.  And I had a couple of regulars on that thread with me on that point.  Over time, I never soured on Daniels but Maye really grew on me.  Loved how Maye layered his throws.  Changed speeds.  Made some wicked throws.  And then I switched positions and said I liked Maye better.  And still do.  My initial alarm about Maye was his inaccurate throws, which are startiling at first to see considering all the hype he has.  But over time, including recently, I discovered it was really 3-4 bad games from him, its not something that was an issue all season long, every game. 

But on this thread I think I was the one started pushing Daniels before it became cool.  Then we had some Daniels fantatics that went a bit crazy with the pro Daniels and anti-Maye posts.  So I pushed back a lot.  :ols:   But as I told the Daniels people, I like both QBs. But I never got the occasional arrogance on either side of the debate considering how hard it is for anyone to get QB right.  Whether its us or name that talking head especially when you know people's history on the position.  Riddick and Simms for example can talk all day long about being sold on Stroud as QB 1, but then you got Simms loved Zach Wilson, and Riddick, Haskins, etc.  We are all mortals on this spot.

Racing to right now, I'll without hesitiation plant my flag that Daniels if he can stay healthy will be a stud.   Cliff notes version of what said a week or so ago in a long post.  The accuracy is real.  People hitting back on it by citing completions where the WR had to adjust to the ball.  My answer to that is come on.  ALL Qbs have throws like that.  Maye had more completions with WRs adjusting to his throws than the other 2 (McCarthy as well) from my watchings.  Release is fast when he's decisive.    His mechanics are consistent hence he's a consistent thrower.  Only one bad game last season.  He is a good decision maker.  One of the best college runners I've ever watched.  Can actually make insane off platform throws when he goes to that well.   IMO there is a lot to like.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, redskinss said:

Your right it will be a huge mistake. He is also a better leader than Daniels who is too reserved for me. My gut tells me in 4 years Maye will be better than Daniels. I see too much careless in Daniels game not protecting himself and leaving his feet. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

There you go. Daniels is probably hoping we pass and he drops to 3 where NE is open for business and Antonio Pierce can make the Godfather offer. Peters prob doesn't give a **** and is going to take him if he's the guy (*if* he's the guy).

I'm not a general manager or a football expert, but my years as a director of Human Resources has taught me if someone's heart and/or focus isn't in the work, position, or the department in which they work, you don't try to force them to like it or adjust to the situation. I'm pretty sure these are just rumors, but if there is any semblance of truth in them, then I would hope that Peters takes JD's reservations and preference into serious consideration. Full transparency, I'm a Maye fan and hope we select him this week, as there's nothing I've learned of JD, either from this knowledgeable board or from the numerous NFL analysts/hosts, that has convinced me that he's the better fit for this team.

Edited by BurgundyBooger
  • Like 2

I take Simms with a grain of salt.  But Keim has hinted at the same thing.  So maybe there is some smoke to it.

If this is true wonder what the kicker is?  I've probably put more pro Maye posts on this thread in the last 4 months or so than i ever did for another player so I am definitiely in on him.

But clearly any of these guys can bust.  This isn't the Andrew Luck-Trevor Lawrence draft where scouts all converge to fully love a prospect.

For Maye as to why not him?   Seems like the to hits I read the most is accuracy, slow release at times and some think he lacks that clutch gene. Some also think he (not just Daniels) also has issues with sacks.  His sack to pressure numbers were almost identical to Daniels last year.

If I had to pick a post from the draft thread that went through his perceived flaws the most, I recall a longish one from @KDawg months back.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

I don't recall Beck ever inspiring much confidence at any time 😉

• Haha 1