Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

28 minutes ago, illone said:

Curious which channel everyone prefers for draft coverage?

Normally I stick to NFL Network, but was just watching command center and apparently Peters and Quinn will be making comments right after each pick...

If they are going to be on there then that is what I’m watching. Normally it’s NFL network for me though if I’m home. 

13 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

.....I am fine with it being Daniels. Watching him run is going to be awesome.

I would vote for a 20 yard pass over a 20 yard run by my QB 10 out of 10 times.  Four or five runs a game is okay, any more, and I am not a fan of that type of offense.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It’s tricky. He’s a mid 20’s male athlete who has had top flight nutritionists available to him since at least 2018.

Adding muscle mass is doable, and adding it gradually will help, but it’s tricky. Some guys put on weight and lose a lot of their quickness, even if the speed remains. Some do it so we’ll you barely notice.

He certainly can add good weight to his frame. He has the room for it. But he has to be careful. The reason he’s so highly touted is his ability to make plays with his legs.

His smart move is to slowly fade away from being a runner - stop me if you’ve heard that from someone before - and become a bit bigger and a pocket passer. That increases his longevity tenfold. But that transition should really be through his rookie contract.

The discipline to do that is… not common. And he’s had the opportunity to do it while in college and hasn’t. 

I don’t know.

I keep coming back to the “well, if he’s healthy you’re going to be so happy they picked him” and it’s reassuring as hell.

Until the cynical side of my brain says, “ya, but what if he’s not?”

This post resonated with me because the closer we get to the draft, the more antsy I start to feel about Jayden being our guy due to the aforementioned concerns. It’s not that I didn’t have them before, it’s just a feeling that has started to creep in as Thursday approaches. This is absolutely the one part that concerns me and it’s real. It’s real with Lamar. It’s real with any of these guys that leave the pocket and are subjected to more hits.

BUT there’s just way too much smoke that Daniels is the superior QB right now. This isn’t the case of drafting a Sam Darnold over a Josh Allen. Jayden made more game breaking plays in a game in the SEC than Darnold would make in several against PAC 12 defenses. It’s true that Maye may be this years Josh Allen but my point is that we aren’t passing on him for an okay talent in any ho hum draft. We’re taking a very legitimate talent that saw the light bulb go off (like Burrow) and I don’t think that’s framed the same way in the offices of the guys that make these decisions as it is here (not a negative but an indication of how much this guy cared to improve and then DID THAT in spades).

Peters experience with Lance ironically probably tips the scales in the other direction. Lance was the toolsy raw guy coming out and didn’t turn out. Now maybe Maye turns out to be Allen (I think Herbert is a really bad comparison as a prospect outside of the fact his game was picked apart due to prospect fatigue). But he could also be Lance or Trubisky, guys who just never developed as Rythm passers that could be trusted with the keys to the entire offense. Again, I really like Maye. I see him more as an Allen, but with time and A LOT of patience. Just like Josh needed. If they take him, I’ll be all aboard and trust they made the right choice. 

A bit of a ramble but that hits on some of my all encompassing thoughts. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

JJ is on the rise. He’s going to work his butt off to be the best he can be.

So would Jayden Daniels and so would Drake Maye. 

Everybody who has worked with both has said glowing things.

Just because Daniels may not fit some people's image of what "the face of the franchise" should look or talk like doesn't mean he won't work his tail off. 

Edited by Hooper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Pioli worked with Quinn in Atlanta. Interesting info here. 

Pioli said he checked to see if prospects knew HOW to say please, and  HOW to say thank you. 

He didn't check to see if they said it.

He just wanted to know if they knew HOW to say it. 

Wow, in other words he used group interactions to see which prospects were essentially raised in the wild by wolves, without an inkling of how to deal with other human beings. lol 

1 hour ago, rumplestilskin said:

They must have Doug Williams bound, gagged and locked in a safe house untill the pick is in. Otherwise he would have splilled the beans by now. That is if he is still in the loop. Anyone know what is up with Doug?

Continuously watching Super Bowl 22 where he was MVP, I might add. :silly:

27 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

Just repeat in your mind that maybe he is so skinny the laws of physics do not apply to him. Kinda like punching a feather floating in the air. 

I’m not sure whether to give this a laughing or crying response. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Pioli said he checked to see if prospects knew HOW to say please, and  HOW to say thank you. 

He didn't check to see if they said it.

He just wanted to know if they knew HOW to say it. 

Wow, in other words he used group interactions to see which prospects were essentially raised in the wild by wolves, without an inkling of how to deal with other human beings. lol 

180 degrees from the Raider tradition. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

Assuming it’s Daniels I hope they talk him out of 5. That one still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Oh right!!!

That was Shulers old number, wasn't it?

I had completely forgotten that. If Bubba Tyer were still here he would talk the kid out of it.

Bad mojo for a qb to take that number here.

Just now, CommanderInTheRye said:

Oh right!!!

I had completely forgotten that. If Bubba Tyer were still here he would talk the kid out of it.

Give him one and he’s basically a straight line and would confuse the duck out of defenders 

• Haha 2

Oh right!!!

Don't forget McNabb too 👎

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Oh right!!!

And McNabb.....don't forget McNabb, ugh.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Hooper said:

So would Jayden Daniels and so would Drake Maye. 

Everybody who has worked with both has said glowing things.

Just because Daniels may not fit some people's image of what "the face of the franchise" should look or talk like doesn't mean he won't work his tail off. 

I agree, I like Jayden a lot too, and most rave about how good of a person and teammate he is. Same could be said for Maye. I personally just like JJ better. Daniels next, and then Maye.

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

If it's JJ, he will have to forego #9 and were maybe #19 or another number.  

Maye can be #10.  It fits and he can be what RG3 was not.  :) 

Rookie of the year?

31 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Or he has been fed info and is helping the team by claiming him the best in the draft. Regardless. I think the decision has been made at this point. Just too many people saying the same thing to ignore it anymore. I am fine with it being Daniels. Watching him run is going to be awesome.

Cooley has 0 ties to this new regime. Dude doesn't even live in the area or is really involved with the NFL at all. He's basically a recluse in a cabin in Wyoming. Hell his first time even watching these kids was when Sheehan gave him the homework assignment to grade them, he doesn't even watch college football.

If Snyder were still in charge then I'd say your theory makes sense but with this new regime? Na, don't think so.

Cooley is like most other former players. They are wowed by the now and don't take into account projection and how playstyles translate to the pros etc.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, BayouBrave86 said:

JJ will not be a starter this season. He is going to need a ton of work. I cannot believe this guy is being talked about as a top 5 pick right now. Another case of GMs overthinking it. 

I believe it to be a long shot as the favorites are Daniels and Maye then McCarthy 10 or more lengths behind in the race.  LOL 

33 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

JJ is on the rise. I hope it’s him. He would be a perfect teammate that always puts the team first. He has good athleticism, good accuracy, strong arm. He’s used to cold weather. He’s going to work his butt off to be the best he can be.

Don't love his ceiling but like his floor. I don't think he will be the pick but won't hate it.

4 hours ago, Rungel said:

1. Bears take Caleb

2. Raiders trade with Commanders and take Daniels.

3. Patriots take Maye

4. Arizona takes MHJ

5. Vikings trade with Chargers and take McCarthy

Do you realize what a franchise stunting disaster this would be? lol it’s hard to believe someone would cheer for this, but these are the times that I’m reminded, there really are all sorts of people out there puttering around, just harmlessly thinking about stuff 

• Haha 4

I don’t see how any of these guys sit this season. Maybe a few games but drafted into the right org they just need to play and to hell with the results right away. It’s all about reps and experience. Learn some ****. 

25 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Cooley is like most other former players. They are wowed by the now and don't take into account projection and how playstyles translate to the pros etc.

Being a Cooley fan and meeting him several times and listening to his draft takes forever.  This part is definitely not true.  He's an upside guy.  Loved Josh Allen even though he was raw, Lamar, too if i recall right.  Sometimes if anything he bets too much on tools.

I am a Maye fan like you.  But not a Daniels hater.  i am with Galdi below -- a dude who can run in the 4'4's and is accurate with clean mechanics has PLENTY of upside.

The upside question IMHO is about McCarthy not Daniels.  Do I think Maye has the most.  Yes.  But Daniels has plenty.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4