Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I take Simms with a grain of salt.  But Keim has hinted at the same thing.  So maybe there is some smoke to it.

If this is true wonder what the kicker is?  I've probably put more pro Maye posts on this thread in the last 4 months or so than i ever did for another player so I am definitiely in on him.

But clearly any of these guys can bust.  This isn't the Andrew Luck-Trevor Lawrence draft where scouts all converge to fully love a prospect.

For Maye as to why not him?   Seems like the to hits I read the most is accuracy, slow release at times and some think he lacks that clutch gene. Some also think he (not just Daniels) also has issues with sacks.  His sack to pressure numbers were almost identical to Daniels last year.

If I had to pick a post from the draft thread that went through his perceived flaws the most, I recall a longish one from @KDawg months back.

No one who really knows is texting anyone that kind of information. Especially to someone in the media.

That said there is so much smoke now it would be a mild surprise if Daniels is not the pick.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, MartinC said:

No one who really knows is texting anyone that kind of information. Especially to someone in the media.

That said there is so much smoke now it would be a mild surprise if Daniels is not the pick.

Probably not.   But Keim doesn't spitball so him suggesting something similar makes me think its at least possible.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BurgundyBooger said:

I'm not a general manager or a football expert, but my years as a director of Human Resources has taught me if someone's heart and/or focus isn't in the work, position, or the department in which they work, you don't try to force them to like it or adjust to the situation. I'm pretty sure these are just rumors, but if there is any semblance of truth in them, then I would hope that Peters takes JD's reservations and preference into serious consideration.

I have seen it so many times over the years as well with people including myself. 
I don’t agree with Keim on the team taking Daniels regardless of what he or his agent thinks. My gut tells me that Quinn and KK are pushing for Daniels and Peters may give way to that.

If that’s the case then I am not happy with the Peters hire. Hard to believe you would pick someone who does not want to come here. I am sure there is some truth to it if Daniels publicist had to put out a statement.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, illone said:

Curious which channel everyone prefers for draft coverage?

Normally I stick to NFL Network, but was just watching command center and apparently Peters and Quinn will be making comments right after each pick...

Personally, I'm kind of a crazy wackadoodle when it comes to the draft most years.

I dvr everything draft related on YouTubeTV, including both live coverage networks (NFL Network and ESPN/ABC).

I watch one network on the big screen with surround sound blasting and another on my claptop.

Sometimes, when things get hot and heavy, I'll pause one broadcast to focus on the other, and sometimes I'll have them both going at the same time.

All that while liberally ingesting an ice cold  keg of Colt 45 on tap and a platter of my spectacular spicy cajun  seasoned grilled chicken wings (the secret ingredient is Habanero Tabasco sauce, ssshh)-- to keep me appropriately alert and focused.

This year, especially with Kelly Martin being live on ESPN at our warroom on draft day, and with us having a ton of day two picks, along with the most discussed early pick in the entire draft, I'm expecting more coverage, and fewer commercials (😳 fingers crossed) when our pick comes around than ever.

I love draft day!!!

T minus TWO DAYS!!!!!

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fanman8825 said:

My gut tells me that Quinn and KK are pushing for Daniels and Peters may give way to that.

If that’s the case then I am not happy with the Peters hire. Hard to believe you would pick someone who does not want to come here. I am sure there is some truth to it if Daniels publicist had to put out a statement.

Im with you. I think Peters being a first time GM is sucumbing to his coaches and that is super disappointing

• Like 1

This plays into my point from watching Daniels again a week ago.  Don't get me wrong, I've if anything led the charge that he runs way too much when flushed out of the pocket.  i posted the stat on that months ago.

But especially on the rewatch, I was impressed at Daniels WHEN he throws off platform.  He had his share of Mahomes like moments on that front.  He needs to change his mindset to do it more versus take off so much.  IMO he has the off platform gene if he uses it.

Screen Shot 2024-04-23 at 7.25.14 AM.png

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Im with you. I think Peters being a first time GM is sucumbing to his coaches and that is super disappointing

Where's the story that Peters is overrriding his own take for Quinn?  Am not saying there isn't a story, just missed it.  Can someone post or tell me where to find it?

It shocks me a bit considering Quinn has not only said the opposite in this process but even recounted twice how Peters is teaching him how to evaluate QBs.  So its wild that the student surpassed the teacher that fast?  But yeah that is wildly surprising to me.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

He (RGIII) said the first thing to focus on is that JD is better than he was coming outta college "point-blank period"

RGIII said that!!??

Has he been possessed by some goodly spirit-- lije the ghist of Mother Teresa.

No references to Daniels, "reminding me, of a lesser me"?

Young son on the humble tip?

Wow!  I need to pinch myself to make sure I'm really awake and not still dreaming.

As to the Daniels doesn't want to be here narrative.   No doubt he's tight with Pierce.  And there is some noise on that.  But otherwise

We've come full circle when Florio > Keim as a trusted source.

Can't wait until Thursday. :ols: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As to the Daniels doesn't want to be here narrative.   No doubt he's tight with Pierce.  And there is some noise on that.  But otherwise

We've come full circle when Florio > Keim as a trusted source.

Can't wait until Thursday. :ols: 

It's not Florio that gave that narrative credibility, it's Schefter.

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This plays into my point from watching Daniels again a week ago.  Don't get me wrong, I've if anything led the charge that he runs way too much when flushed out of the pocket.  i posted the stat on that months ago.

But especially on the rewatch, I was impressed at Daniels WHEN he throws off platform.  He had his share of Mahomes like moments on that front.  He needs to change his mindset to do it more versus take off so much.  IMO he has the off platform gene if he uses it.

Screen Shot 2024-04-23 at 7.25.14 AM.png

Where's the story that Peters is overrriding his own take for Quinn?  Am not saying there isn't a story, just missed it.  Can someone post or tell me where to find it?

It shocks me a bit considering Quinn has not only said the opposite in this process but even recounted twice how Peters is teaching him how to evaluate QBs.  So its wild that the student surpassed the teacher that fast?  But yeah that is wildly surprising to me.

Yeah but the problem isn't that he cannot physically do it. It's that he almost never does it. And I think it's pretty hard to teach that out of him. Because I don't think he sees the field well on the move and it's a skill that was never developed because of his wheels. But that is not sustainable in the NFL.

Every better QB can have an awesome grade out of the pocket if you only throw it every once in a while in situations where you see someone (wide) open for a change.

43 minutes ago, MartinC said:

And you definitely don't text Chris Simms of all people. Rap flat out admitting he knows nothing, Schefter scrambling to put together bits and pieces of information and says he doesn't know, DJ saying AP does not talk, Keim having no direct input from the top level but Simms has a defiinte statement? To me it sounds like "everything looks that way, everyone believes this to be true, so I'll claim it and in case it happens, I look like I know something".

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Simms is hearing stuff from sources outside the team. Just like everyone else.

I hope, if all of this smoke is fire, that you're going to survive this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Yesterday was either a hell of a smoke screen or it’s really down to Daniel’s and McCarthy. I do not think anything is coming from the front office but other teams scouts/agents. Remember Ben Johnson was heavy favorite to come here a week before Quinn.

38 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

It's not Florio that gave that narrative credibility, it's Schefter.

I watched it at the time.  I just rewatched it again.  It's a reference to the Raiders.  I know the whole stroy about Pierce being close to his family.  That's cool.

Bottom line, is I trust Keim who knows people tight with Daniels and has been told a number of times Daniels would be cool to play here.  Some around him even told Keim this is one of the two spots they prefer. 

I recall the stories about Caleb didn't want to play for the Bears months ago.    Now its a nothing burger.  Same thing it feels here.  

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, fanman8825 said:

I have seen it so many times over the years as well with people including myself. 
I don’t agree with Keim on the team taking Daniels regardless of what he or his agent thinks. My gut tells me that Quinn and KK are pushing for Daniels and Peters may give way to that.

How could you ever prove this?

• Like 5

Just now, OtisDriftwood25 said:

Yesterday was either a hell of a smoke screen or it’s really down to Daniel’s and McCarthy. I do not think anything is coming from the front office but other teams scouts/agents. Remember Ben Johnson was heavy favorite to come here a week before Quinn.

Only problem was the same person who said it can be Quinn, don't count on Ben Johnson as a lock was Keim.  I posted that at the time it wasn't well received.   Just like he doesn't think it will be Maye isn't well received either.  It is what it is.

But will see leaks-rumors can shift especially a day or two before the draft.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I hope, if all of this smoke is fire, that you're going to survive this. 

No worries, my boy is completely impervious to any new information contrary to his established "reality".

It's actually a  remarkable case study to observe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Yeah but the problem isn't that he cannot physically do it. It's that he almost never does it. And I think it's pretty hard to teach that out of him.

Almost never is big time hyperbole.  If they draft him, I'll spend a day just capturing some of these plays.  It's not just once in a blue moon.  But its definitiely not nearly enough.

If I can do something very well.  I can be taught to that thing I do well more often.  I don't think that's a cazy high mountain to climb.  But will see.

• Like 3

Just now, CommanderInTheRye said:

My boy is comoletely impervious to any new information contrary to his established "reality".

It's actually remarkable to observe.

The power of hopefulness.

It's a tale as old as time and one that, quite frankly, we can all learn and grow from.

Let me try: The CommandSkins have been good the last 30 years!!!

Nope. Didn't work.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

There’s literally nothing to suggest that our coaches are in the bag for Daniels, nor Peters is succumbing to pressure from them to draft him.

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

I can't be the only one who thinks Daniels is the ultimate smokescreen and that our FO is going to surprise most everyone on Thursday. Wishful thinking? Perhaps. I've made amends with the JD pick but I still think it will be Maye. I reserve the right to be wrong, of course. 

Look, I simply don't buy the apparent universal narrative around Daniels. It's *too* much, they overclocked him. I'd be willing to bet that all these insider voices trace back to the same pool of about ~15 people and the rest is amplification and echo chamber. You know these reporters are busy and stretched as is, they aren't conducting scientific polls. They all have their go-to sources and almost certainly some of them overlap. 

Something doesn't add up here.

In any case, I actually prefer Daniels as a passer to a runner, I just want to see him do it consistently when his run threat is mitigated or taken away. I honestly don't think he'll be able to break those long ones in college as easily in the pros. 

• Like 2

Sometimes we see the world as we want it to be, not as it actually exists.

And perhaps that's evolutions way of helping homo sapiens survive, prosper and endure even during the worst of times.

A neccesary and instrumental delusion.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sinews said:

I can't be the only one who thinks Daniels is the ultimate smokescreen and that our FO is going to surprise most everyone on Thursday. Wishful thinking? Perhaps. I've made amends with the JD pick but I still think it will be Maye. I reserve the right to be wrong, of course. 

Look, I simply don't buy the apparent universal narrative around Daniels. It's *too* much, they overclocked him. I'd be willing to bet that all these insider voices trace back to the same pool of about ~15 people and the rest is amplification and echo chamber. You know these reporters are busy and stretched as is, they aren't conducting scientific polls. They all have their go-to sources and almost certainly some of them overlap. 

Something doesn't add up here.

In any case, I actually prefer Daniels as a passer to a runner, I just want to see him do it consistently when his run threat is mitigated or taken away. I honestly don't think he'll be able to break those long ones in college as easily in the pros. 

Doesnt make sense to me either but ultimately Im just a dumb fan so wtf do I know? Still feel like Daniels over Maye is a colossal blunder but Ill learn to live with it.

• Like 3

https://walterfootball.com/nfl-hot-press-2024-nfl-draft-week-rumors-tuesday.php

"For months now, the consensus has been that the Washington Commanders would take LSU quarterback Jayden Daniels with the second-overall pick of the 2024 NFL Draft. There have been some projections of the Commanders taking North Carolina’s Drake Maye or Michigan’s J.J. McCarthy in the first round, but overall, Daniels has been the most common projection. From speaking to multiple sources with the Commanders, it sounds like the consensus in the building leans toward Daniels but that things are clear not across the board. There have been some Washington evaluators with a preference for McCarthy and some with a preference for Maye.

Interestingly, new general manager Adam Peters has sought a wide range of opinions from within the franchise. There are general managers in the NFL who shut out scouts, but Peters has been interested in hearing the opinion throughout the front office, including from staff members who were there under former head coach Ron Rivera and former general manager Bruce Allen. Peters is the one who will make the final decision on which prospect to take at No. 2 overall, and he has been performing his due diligence by exploring the thoughts and perspectives from staff throughout his organization."

https://walterfootball.com/nfl-hot-press-2024-nfl-draft-week-rumors-monday.php

"Many weeks ago, I reported that the Washington Commanders had turned down trade offers at the 2024 NFL Scouting Combine for the No. 2-overall pick. The Commanders turned down those offers because they are targeting a new franchise quarterback. In following up with some team sources, they said the Patriots also turned down trade offers for the No. 3-overall pick of the 2024 NFL Draft. The Patriots have stated they are open for business, but they have turned down offers. That makes it sound like New England is waiting to see if it can get an absurd offer, but more likely, the team is sticking at with the third pick to select a quarterback."

• Thanks 1