Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

7 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

I think there’s too much out there from reliable reports to think the narrative is BS. So I fully expect the pick to be Daniels, but if it is not, it’s probably not based on that is on tape

I wouldn't pick Daniels over Maye based on tape.  Maye's tape is prototype star NFL QB.  Jayden's tape is gimmicky college star with a bad body, a mediocre arm, an allergy to throwing before the break, sketchy placement on vertical throws and crossers, and a running style that will get him injured at the next level.

I can look at the current best QBs in the NFL and see how players like Maye translate into success.  I have to go back to a player from the late 80s to find that kind of example for Daniels.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Still feel like Daniels over Maye is a colossal blunder but Ill learn to live with it.

If they pick Jayden and he busts, and Maye goes on to succeed, that's going to be it for me.  So they better be right if they do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

If they pick Jayden and he busts, and Maye goes on to succeed, that's going to be it for me.  So they better be right if they do.

What if they pick Maye and he busts and Daniels goes on to succeed?  Would that be it for you too?

Odds are pretty high that at least one of the top 3 will bust.  I like all three top QB prospects.  I actually think all three are legit starters four years from now.  I personally lean Daniels after preferring Maye a couple months ago.  Am I the only one in this thread that is going to be happy on Thursday?  Seems like it. 

Edited by Idaho fan
  • Like 3

This Maye vs Daniel's debate is stupid.   You get the guy who is the best fit for the offense you are installing period.   Anything different than that will most likely be failure.  

• Haha 1
  • Thumb down 2

1 minute ago, SuperBash said:

The amount of people in this thread who want Maye over Daniels probably tells me Daniels is the right pick 🤣🤣🤣

This.  If most of the pundits (even the credible ones) are leaning Daniels over Maye, I think I'd rather listen to them over this fan base 10 out of 10.  I'm not going to be shattered like certain people here will be if we end up drafting Maye, but it's funny to see how this board is so Pro-Maye despite all evidence pointing to Daniels likely being drafted at 2.  Let's just try to support whoever we draft for God's sake, and not wish cast doom or predict boom-bust scenarios for Daniels if he ends up being the pick.

• Like 2

Just now, Idaho fan said:

What if they pick Maye and he busts and Daniels goes on to succeed?  Would that be it for you too?

No.  I think they'll have made the best call they could have pre-draft.  Picking Maye is following best practices for drafting a franchise QB, and it's what I would do if I were in charge.  Picking Jayden over him is a super speculative prayer based on bad process, and it's a call I would never make.

I can't be better at picking players from my couch than the team I root for, and still maintain faith in the organization.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RWJ said:

Spot on!  If Daniels weighed 225 lbs. none of us would be having this discussion same goes for Maye if he weighed 205-210 lbs.  

If he weight in at 225 he would be the 1st pick in the draft. But he does not he is 205 or less playing and is a risk for the pick at no.2. He is what he is and it's not changing at his age.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

There’s a fallacy in your argument and it’s named Trey Lance the Niners’ number 3 overall pick in 2021. 

it goes to show it’s all a crapshoot, even at the top of the draft. The Redskins/Commanders have too many examples of this going back to Heath Shuler, Haskins, RG3, etc.  Ask your grandad about Gary Beban. 

It would not surprise me if Bo Nix  or Michael Pennix has a better NFL career than Maye, Daniels, or MCCarthy. 

Evaluators do the best they can with the information they have, but man, life and football is really complicated. 

That is called anecdotal evidence. I’m talking about empirical evidence over an extremely large sample size. One example of something never created a fallacy. Otherwise I could quote you here and say “there’s a fallacy in your argument and it’s named Josh Allen the 7th overall pick for the Bills in 2018”, or any other name I desired. See how silly that reads? Because it means nothing. I don’t need to care about Trey Lance or Washington’s specific QB troubles or any other singular data point, because I can zoom out and look at large pools of candidates and see that I’m right about where the highest hit rate is, by far. And even that’s still a low chance, to your point. But it’s statistically significant. 

13 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

What happens when Chicago doesn't pick Williams? What if they take Maye? I realize this is not going to happen, but I was curious as to the selection we would make. Daniels or Williams?

Watch you be the only person that nails the draft correctly.

It would be a huge curve call to AP but have to think that they full abort and take Caleb. I am sure they spent time looking at Caleb so they won't be completely taken aback but with no smoke saying Chicago won't take him, they'd still be caught off guard. Washington is on the clock as jersey makers go into full panic mode.

6 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

This Maye vs Daniel's debate is stupid.   You get the guy who is the best fit for the offense you are installing period.   Anything different than that will most likely be failure.  

No…you install the offense that is the best fit for the best prospect you grade out “period”. You don’t make a pick based on an OC or his system at all, across the entire league there’s ONE Offensive Coordinator who’s been in place for more than two years. One.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, samy316 said:

This.  If most of the pundits (even the credible ones) are leaning Daniels over Maye, I think I'd rather listen to them over this fan base 10 out of 10.  I'm not going to be shattered like certain people here will be if we end up drafting Maye, but it's funny to see how this board is so Pro-Maye despite all evidence pointing to Daniels likely being drafted at 2.  Let's just try to support whoever we draft for God's sake, and not wish cast doom or predict boom-bust scenarios for Daniels if he ends up being the pick.

I guess we should all just keep our mouths shut and not offer our opinions then. Why have a fan message board? Might as well just list all the pundits and basement youtube basement bloggers and not allow comments.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

No.  I think they'll have made the best call they could have pre-draft.  Picking Maye is following best practices for drafting a franchise QB, and it's what I would do if I were in charge.  Picking Jayden over him is a super speculative prayer based on bad process, and it's a call I would never make.

I can't be better at picking players from my couch than the team I root for, and still maintain faith in the organization.

You should listen to Cooley, just to challenge your own take. He has no agenda, he didn’t watch college football, and when he wants to he dives deep into the film.His player breakdowns were fantastic.

He really likes Maye, for all of the reasons you describe. He concedes he could be the best of the group a few years from now (he was very high on Josh Allen, he’s a tools guy) But I think he is also more realistic about the serious risks/negatives in his film (both feet and above the neck) And he also references watching 2022 film.

Maye has superior arm strength and arm talent, according to Cooley. But he would take Daniels over Caleb and Maye. He wants Maye to improve but he’s too much of a risk/project for him.

You don’t have to agree with any of this. But when Daniels is the pick it might be helpful for you to hear it.

• Like 1

If Daniels is the pick, and he busts, then this franchise can cross the thin/speedy QB off their list for the rest of existence. They struck out with RG3. If JD strikes out, there is no way they go to the well a 3rd time. At least we have that to look forward to, if that happens.

JD by all accounts is a good dude and hard worker. I’m sure he will be a team player and make some exciting plays for this franchise. He is sound mechanically, no big changes to be made there. We all just need to pray for his health every time he runs!

• Like 3

My one train of thought after my long Maye vs Daniels post on the last page…I could see a situation where Maye making difficult things look possible (in a college situation analogous to our flawed Washington roster of recent years) is somehow registering with me personally more than Daniels making everything look pretty easy (in a good college situation), causing me to overweight certain things I’ve seen from Maye and underweight certain things I’ve seen from Daniels.

(To clarify I don’t think it’s that simple, Daniels has his noticeable flaws as well, but as an easy way to conceptualize what I’m saying). 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, SuperBash said:

The amount of people in this thread who want Maye over Daniels probably tells me Daniels is the right pick 🤣🤣🤣

I'm convinced if we had the #1 pick the same amount of people would be arguing Maye over Caleb.

• Thumb down 3

5 minutes ago, jg77 said:

I'm convinced if we had the #1 pick the same amount of people would be arguing Maye over Caleb.

Because you’re projecting and think everyone is as biased as you seem to be. The majority of people who prefer Maye to Daniels would prefer Caleb to Maye. Whether it’s working or not, most people posting in favor of Maye imo are attempting to be objective.

Edited by Conn
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, jg77 said:

Not this member. Caleb would be the pick for me all day and every day over Maye and I'm not trying to crap all over Maye because their is legitimately a lot to be excited about with him RE his physical traits, which IMO were never in doubt.  

• Like 4

Just now, Conn said:

Because you’re projecting and think everyone is as biased as you seem to be. The majority of people will prefer Maye to Daniels would prefer Caleb to Maye. 

I've heard of a couple of analyst argue Daniels over Williams. I haven't heard one argue Maye over Williams...just saying.

21 minutes ago, samy316 said:

I am with you as to the spirit of the point. I think the best counter to it is the crap shoot nature of picking QBs.  But I think what some are missing here is its a crap shoot to us too not just the experts.  No one has invented the right process to evaluate the postions.  People come at it from different angles. 

Some want to make the case that we are just as good as scouts, offensive coordinators, etc at picking QBs.  It sounds silly to me in a vaccum.  But i totally get the point in the context of the "experts" get it wrong all the time too.  So why can't we take our shot? I get that.  But at a minimum the scouts have a lot more information to make their decisions than we do.  Especially as to the makeup of these guys personalities.

But the notion that we have the ultimate way of scoping out QBs to me is silly.  I got my methods that I've used and I like.  But i am not of course writing a book on the topic like I've cracked the code.  Scouts get it wrong.  So do we.

I like Maye more than most.  But I am not anti-Daniels.  I think both have elite traits.  And if scouts, coaches, talking heads many of them prefer Daniels, I don't just dismiss it as meaning nothing, it might mean something. 

And if this team truly has Maye as third on the board, they are more concerned about Maye's warts (all three of them have warts of course) than some of us here.  Maybe that's because they are dense or Peters loves Maye but has been already neutered and lost all power in the building or Keim or whomever's reporting is off, his sources are dried up or he's now become a tool or Cooley isn't good in his QB evaulations or whatever people want to discredit here is actually true. 

But it takes a lot of imagination to believe that Daniels is a "meh" prospect and or Maye is 50 times greats.  Lots of imagination at least in the context of making the point with absolute certainty.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, jg77 said:

I've heard of a couple of analyst argue Daniels over Williams. I haven't heard one argue Maye over Williams...just saying.

I've seen a few.  They are a small bunch and generally aren't affiliated with ESPN, so they don't really get their position out.  That's compared to the Jayden > Williams group who I noticed has a few espn personalities so it gets on tv.

Just now, jg77 said:

Well there are e.g. The Athletic's Nate Tice and BleacherReportin general who have him as QB1... just saying 

• Thanks 1