Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

48 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Mostly thinking the same.  I’ll be honest, as much as I’ve defended Heinicke, I had also been saying throughout the season that I kinda hoped we wouldn’t bring him back.  My calculus has changed a bit seeing Howell in action.  I’d elevate Howell to defacto starter, bring back TH, look to add a developmental qb, and have the latter two split 2nd team reps through the offseason.  In-season, you probably put TH as the backup (unless the 3rd guy surprises).

I totally get the argument that we need actual competition for Howell (and TH ain’t it IMO).  But do we really want to split time between Howell (who needs the 1st team reps), and a vet who will also need those same reps because they’ll face an uphill battle adjusting to this offense?

And to clarify on “my calculus changing” - it wasn’t Howell’s production (or the final score) that did it for me.  It wasn’t even so much a validation of the tools we know he has - accuracy, deep ball/running ability - but rather that we just weren’t sure about the unknowns - footwork, reads, getting the ball out quickly/on time, would he get flustered, etc.  So I think we saw enough to go all in on his development, vs slow playing it by splitting time in a competition.  And he did it behind a shaky oline, vs a talented pass rush/D, with a run game that wasn’t that productive for much of the game.

And last point here, in a vacuum, would I rather Brisset than Heinicke?  Absolutely.  But if we save several mil by going with the guy who’s fine not competing for the starting gig, and that already knows the offense?  That changes things IMO.

Yep, IMO if we bring back Heinicke it is to push/mentor Howell.

As far as the OC goes, I'd love someone who will maximize Sam's skillset like Philly does with Hurts.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 10:48 PM, Renegade7 said:

Man...folks in here ready for ownership to can the whole coaching staff and front office and you asking about Scott Turners safety?

I hear the possibility Ron's loyalty is unbreakable, but that doesn't make Taylor the best QB to mentor Sam into the offense.  His favorite player is Brett Favre and he acts like it when he plays, plus we keep having to scale back Turners offense when Taylor plays.

QB coach's job to develop and teach the offense to Sam anyway, don't care what Taylor's input could be.

We again would have bigger problems if something happens to our starting QB then how well they know the offense, am so tired of that "Taylor's knowledge of the offense" being a reason to keep him around.  Again, the offense clearly sucks anyway.

It's nearly impossible to make the case that someone like Jacoby coming in the QB room complete green to Turners offense wouldn't still be better come Week 1 then Taylor and all his experience in it.  

Turner should go, the noise for his removal is growing.  Now is the time with chance to clear out QB room and most of the young stars on offense in their early or mid 20s.  But even if we arrogantly don't, that shouldn't be the reason to bring Taylor back.

Like damn, there's no other journeyman QBs out there that got to play in Turners "offense" to help alleviate this concern?

Roll the dice with Howell as a starter. Take Heinicke clearly as a backup and mentor  Howell. We can save a lot of money going this route and fix the oline and resign Payne. People might not like this but keep Turner for next season. I think it will hurt Howell if he would have to learn three offensive systems in his first three years if being here.

25 minutes ago, shemp nixon said:

Yep, IMO if we bring back Heinicke it is to push/mentor Howell.

As far as the OC goes, I'd love someone who will maximize Sam's skillset like Philly does with Hurts.

Do we really want to bring back Heinicke to "mentor" anyone?

"Sam, buddy, sometimes you just gotta say 'why the **** not?' and throw it into triple coverage."

• Haha 7

We need either a need a Head Coach with a strong offense background which Rivera lacks OR we need a new offensive coordinator who can put the quarterback in situations where he can succeed via the right formations and play calls.  Right now I have no faith in Turner or Rivera.  Rivera has proven he cannot sign a top notch quarterback and the excuses are ridiculous from his supporters.  When we got Gibbs he was a young guy who knew offenses and Cooke hired him and let him grow while on the job.  Then Cook brought in the California General Manager Beathard who knew how to sign good players in the second and third rounds of the draft.  Even though they butted heads they needed each other to be successful.  This coach centric model is killing us because Rivera hired his friends into the front office.  Sure he trusted them but there were smarter guys out there and younger guys out there who would have been better.  Mayhew did not distinguish himself in Detroit and did just average work in SF.

3 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

I think I found Carson’s next team for the 2023 season.

DA0068D5-5ED3-40C6-AD96-4C32A0A7FC30.jpeg

28 mill in his pocket - he can buy at two of them.

13 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

If Rivera is sticking around, I think he tries for Carr. Failing that he will bring in Tannehill, if cut by Tenn, to compete with Howell.

What a massive mistake that would be.  He should not be allowed to pick the next QB… he sucks at it unless the QB’s name rhymes with Ham Fruiton 

1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

We need either a need a Head Coach with a strong offense background which Rivera lacks OR we need a new offensive coordinator who can put the quarterback in situations where he can succeed via the right formations and play calls.  Right now I have no faith in Turner or Rivera.  

This is basically my exact same feeling.

Rivera has always been a defensive-minded coach. The man has problems on O and selecting his QB.

Sadly, Turner is way too irregular for this team.

How many 7 yard quick outs did I see this season on 3rd and 12? Too many to count.

I saw this again on Sunday with Howell.

Just move on.

I wonder who they're eying to bring in as OC. Whoever it is, I really hope it's someone who tailors his offensive system to the guys he has vs someone with a "plug and play" system. Also someone who has a feel for how to call a game. Turner was smart and could design plays well as far as motion, etc. but he seemed to suck at actually in-game play calling and was super slow to adjust. He also seemed insistent on getting away from something as soon as it started working.

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Do we really want to bring back Heinicke to "mentor" anyone?

"Sam, buddy, sometimes you just gotta say 'why the **** not?' and throw it into triple coverage."

And Sunday, after Howell threw the pick in the endzone, heinicke went over to him on the bench and whispered in his ear " I swear they normally drop those"

• Haha 7

106.7 the fan just said Mike Shula (an old Rivera protege) is an early favorite to replace Turner!

Oh God no!

Another failed coordinator who got his job due to nepotism.

EDIT:

Realized after posting that this was the wrong thread but leaving it here for information value.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Sad 1

I think it's fair to say Turner was not THE problem in Washington, but he most definitely was A problem.

OC: Was a problem - Fired

QB: Might still be a problem, but Howell showed promise - Up In The Air

OL: Still a problem and needs to be worked on, either in the draft or FA (or both) - Hopefully Work In Progress