Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

They haven't had one of those in decades yet somehow the new owner is going to just get one?

:rofl89:

I'm 55, still haven't seen a legit franchise QB in Washington who sustained for more than 5 years. Pretty incredible.

It was funny hearing Terry Bradshaw compare TH to Billy Kilmer yesterday. (Paraphrasing) He basically said that Kilmer sucked but the team loved him and won with him. Cheers to Billy Kilmer. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

I'm 55, still haven't seen a legit franchise QB in Washington who sustained for more than 5 years. Pretty incredible.

It was funny hearing Terry Bradshaw compare TH to Billy Kilmer yesterday. (Paraphrasing) He basically said that Kilmer sucked but the team loved him and won with him. Cheers to Billy Kilmer. 

I was thinking that yesterday myself. 

40 years as a fan and I've never really had a true no question franchise quarterback to root for even during the glory years.

Theisman was the closest and he was at the tail end of his career and wasn't an undeniable franchise guy anyway.

Then there was all the guys gibbs trotted out but none were even close to a franchise quarterback, which in my opinion is what puts gibbs in the conversation for best coach ever but that's another subject.

The next thirty years had some tries at acquiring one but none even remotely successful. 

Even having lived through the glory years I can't imagine what it'd be like to have an aaron rodgers or a patrick mahomes. 

I've always wondered what the glory years would have been like had the dolphins passed on Dan Marino, would have sucked to not have gotten the privilege of cheering for Darrel green for 20 years but damn what might have been had gibbs had one of the greatest quarterbacks ever to suit up.

• Like 3

I have a very odd premonition that we are going to trade for Aaron Rodgers this off-season... he's got a gazillion dollars guaranteed on his contract so the Packers can never cut him, but they may be looking at rebuilding, which won't be something he wants to stick around for, and his cap figure will limit their options. New owners will want to make a splash and will see about getting him here. 

Probably far fetched, but I said Wentz would end up here and nobody believed it.

12 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

I have a very odd premonition that we are going to trade for Aaron Rodgers this off-season... he's got a gazillion dollars guaranteed on his contract so the Packers can never cut him, but they may be looking at rebuilding, which won't be something he wants to stick around for, and his cap figure will limit their options. New owners will want to make a splash and will see about getting him here. 

Probably far fetched, but I said Wentz would end up here and nobody believed it.

Packers would be forced to eat his G money in the event of a trade.

Trading A-Rod next year would be a 100 Million dollar dead cap hit on the Pack.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Thanks 1

If Theismann had had even an average receiving corps from '77-'80 (and yes, he had Monk as a rookie in '80), he'd have been a franchise QB.  He's TH with an extra inch and a good arm.  Joe T could throw.  Check out the Skins receiving corps during that time period.  It may be the all-time worst ever.  

Theismann was before my time (I am 40).  So I don't remember the circumstances.  However, from wiki it seems like the was a starting QB in  Washington for 8 seasons (1978 to 1985).  He had two pro bowl seasons in there.  I would say he was a franchise QB.  Maybe comparable to say Cam Newton.  Newton had three pro bowls to Theismann two pro bowls.   They both had one first team all pro, though Newton won MVP in his one all pro year whereas Theismann didn't.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Theismann was before my time (I am 40).  So I don't remember the circumstances.  However, from wiki it seems like the was a starting QB in  Washington for 8 seasons (1978 to 1985).  He had two pro bowl seasons in there.  I would say he was a franchise QB.  Maybe comparable to say Cam Newton.  Newton had three pro bowls to Theismann two pro bowls.   They both had one first team all pro, though Newton won MVP in his one all pro year whereas Theismann didn't.

I didn't mean to start a debate as to whether Theisman was a franchise quarterback or not, he probably was but he was at the very beginning of my fandom and only for a few years before the gruesome injury and I was extremely young and the combination of that and his decline towards the end made it so that I never really knew solid long term stability at the position. 

That's all I was trying to get across.

• Like 1

After yesterday, Wentz has 357 of 707 snaps on the season. If Wentz took every snap for the rest of the season, he’d need 460 snaps in 6 games which is totally doable but unless Taylor gets hurt in practice this week, that’s not happening.

Unless we need to make a QB change real early in the Atlanta game, it’s extremely unlikely he hits the number of snaps required for the conditional pick to turn into a 2nd rounder.

25 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Zach Wilson is the latest Jets bust at Qb and will be gone in a year if not sooner.  That lockeroom is split and enraged over his comments. Expect the Jets to now fade away after their great start.

Or they bench him for Mike White, who was their weird Minshew/Heinicke-type unlikely spark plug underdog last year who gained a lot of fans in preseason, and do what we’re doing. Unlikely but possible. He hasn’t played well in actual games but he’s got gumption, I wouldn’t be surprised. That team was always a pretender given the strength of the AFC but they could make a QB change and actually up their chances.

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Zach Wilson is the latest Jets bust at Qb and will be gone in a year if not sooner.  That lockeroom is split and enraged over his comments. Expect the Jets to now fade away after their great start.

He took zero responsibility for yesterday's game even though it was basically 100% on him that they lost. Reminds me of Haskins in 2020, whom Rivera had to bench or risk losing the locker room. 

My guess is Wilson gets benched this week and the Jets ride Flacco to a Wild Card birth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

So many misses at QB in the NFL. It's crazy hard to predict. Still not sure why the NFL fell in love with Zach Wilson. 

Rocket arm, and off platform throws.  But he looks like a 10 year old, seems like his maturity is about the same.

Mike Shanahan among others have said tough to guess college QBs until you have them in your room because you can see their maturity, smarts, work ethic. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TMK9973 said:

I'm sorry, I just don't understand this thought process at all.

The goal is to win games.  Period. End of story. Stats and everything else is secondary to winning.

We are 4-1 with  TH and. What? 9-4 over his last 14 games?

I don't care if it's because he knows the offense better, or because he takes less sacks, or because he bites the head off a chicken before evey game and does a rain dance.

We are winning and any thought to change QB who is winning games makes no sense.

I agree with you 100%, how could anyone want to Bench TH4 for Howell at this point. I think fantasy football, PFF grades, etc has clouded peoples mind when evaluating a player within a team these days. Plus if you listen to Rons weekly pressers he says SH cant even drop back consistently correctly yet.

Can you imagine the locker room. Ron "Hey John and Terry we are in the middle of playoff run, I know we have won 5 out of the last 6 but its SH time! I know he was drafted in the 5th round and has never taken an NFL snap but I got to see what he has got"

Edited by TChaler70
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Except Ron said he is the starter for time being until further notice. No peace for you lol

As much as some of yall swearing up and down Wentz being done here was already settled??? :ols:

I'm clearly tired chasing the tea leaves after seeing stuff like this, i think its done now, you won, dont point to scoreboard and say theres still time left on the clock : )

https://www.nfl.com/news/commanders-to-start-taylor-heinicke-at-quarterback-moving-forward

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

As much as some of yall swearing up and down Wentz being done here was already settled??? :ols:

I'm clearly tired chasing the tea leaves after seeing stuff like this, i think its done now, you won, dont point to scoreboard and say theres still time left on the clock : )

https://www.nfl.com/news/commanders-to-start-taylor-heinicke-at-quarterback-moving-forward

Go to the previous page and look at the tweet Califan posted for a better clarification of TH as the starter. :)

• Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

I would hope that the new folks are smarter than that.  Pulling off an AARON swap would be to costly for a chance at winning 3 more games a season... talking Herschel Walker/RG3 too cost.

That's said, and with regards to Wentz, I'm sure many folks believed that it was possible; it's just that many other folks didn't want it to happen.  

I was salty on the Wentz trade at first, but he's appeared to be an incredibly sympathetic dude and he grown me pretty fast; especially after the first win. However there's no turning back now. I want our second round pick so Wentz can stay on the bench. If the season collapses we always got the Rookie.