Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

53 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Would really like to see Wentz use a hard snap fake count because it seemed during Philly they knew the snap count and was able to get to the edge and bend pretty fastĀ 

They did, itā€™s been reported the replacement Center was doing so poorly that Wentz had to resort to tapping him when he wanted the snap. Noticing that is the same as knowing the snap count.Ā 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

19 hours ago, tomwvr said:

Thanks for the write up - i like taylor as you know, but i am not at all saying he is the answer. Ā I just think that with wentz high variance play he was not worth the money and picks. And the team could have improved the ol with that 28 million and gone in the howell direction. And that if wentz continues to not lead the team to wins there would be no reason to play him after week 8-9.Ā 
Ā 

and i agree that taylor wont be on the roster next year, there is no reason to keep him if the team feels howell is the right way to go.Ā 

So if Wentz flames out and Howell takes over, is back up qb not important?

The thing with Wentz is that he came to the Commanders as a finished product.Ā  He is a known commodity at this point.Ā  It's not like The 2022 season started and suddenly the fact that he holds onto the ball a little longer was revealed to the world.Ā  No, this is something that anyone with eyes has known about Wentz.Ā  There are pros and cons to holding onto the ball longer, however it is something he does, so from where I sit (on the couch, mind you) that was something the coaches needed to address by shoring up the O-line and perhaps Turner by drawing up more short routes and quick plays to help slow down uber-aggressive pass rushers.Ā  Ā 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Ā There are pros and cons to holding onto the ball longer, however it is something he does, so from where I sit (on the couch, mind you) that was something the coaches needed to address by shoring up the O-line and perhaps Turner by drawing up more short routes and quick plays to help slow down uber-aggressive pass rushers.Ā  Ā 

Ā 

And this doesn't even bring up the defense.

Ā 

If this team was in a juggling league they'd be the fools failing while trying to add a second ball. If they were in a chess league they'd bring a tic tac toe board.Ā 

Ā 

They are, once again, hilariously bad at what they are supposed to do. It has to be contagious. No matter who coaches this team it's just about the same idiocy.Ā 

Ā 

Bring some popcorn and prepare for some comedy because if you are expecting winning football week to week you're in for some frustration.Ā 

• Like 4

Over/Under on seeing Howell, sans a Wince injury...

Ā 

I'm going week 7 and taking the under.Ā 

Ā 

I guess the real question is, if we keep losing will Ronnie turn to Heine, or give the rookie a shot?

Ā 

Me thinks Howell can get the ball out quick, and can run around a bit...Ā 

Ā 

15 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

For some reason, the media have an disdain for Wentz that is unlike anything I've ever seen.Ā  I just saw a clip from some dumb ESPN show where they are debating the best quarterback in the NFC East and Max Kellerman brings up Wentz, and then says something like "I'm kidding but he won't be a starting quarterback for long".Ā  Meanwhile, Justin Fields is playing the absolute worst I have ever seen a quarterback play in a long time and he's rarely mentioned by the media, and if he is, it's excuse after excuse for his poor play.Ā  It's baffling to me.Ā  Wentz isn't a bad guy.Ā  He isn't even a poor teammate.Ā  And it can't be solely because he plays for Washington.Ā  Alex Smith wasn't treated like this.Ā  Neither was Case Keenum.Ā  Hell, Heinicke was treated as feel good story when he started.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Wince is a 7 year vet.Ā  Fields is year 2.Ā  You cant compare these two players w a straight face.Ā  Plus, no way field gets this many chances if he continues to stink up the joint...

Ā 

Ā 

8 hours ago, illone said:

Ā 

Ā 

Howell's biggest red flag in college was holding the ball for too long. He is not a quick decision maker and would have gone undrafted if we didn't take him in the fifth.

Ā 

I can't believe people think Heinicke and Howell are better than Wentz. Rewatch last year's games, especially against New Orleans, Denver, and Dallas. Heinicke was God awful and couldn't throw the ball 40 yards downfield.Ā Ā 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, illone said:

Ā 

Wince is a 7 year vet.Ā  Fields is year 2.Ā  You cant compare these two players w a straight face.Ā  Plus, no way field gets this many chances if he continues to stink up the joint...

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I do agree its not fair to compare Wentz to fields given that Wentz is in year 7 and Fields is in year 2.Ā  I also think Washington has a better O-Line (despite our struggles--we are probably on the lower side of average, whereas Chicago's O-Line is probably bottom 5) and way better receiving options (McLaurin, Dotson, Samuels, and Thomas are top 10ish for receiving corps) whereas Chicago is probably bottom 5.Ā  Only two receiving corps that I can think of with less are perhaps Green Bay and Baltimore.

Ā 

On the other hand in term of production this year, Wentz while pretty terrible against Philly has better way more productive overall than Fields this year.Ā  So it isn't a great comparison on at least three fronts 1) Fields is a lot young 2) Wentz has a lot more to work with 3) Wentz has been a lot more productiveĀ 

edit: I failed at quoting

50 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Sunday will go down in history, as the Battle of the Bearded Gingers

Ā 

Ā 

If only Prince Harry would be in the stands, the trifecta would be complete.

Edited by JesseNeckred

12 hours ago, illone said:

Over/Under on seeing Howell, sans a Wince injury...

Ā 

I'm going week 7 and taking the under.Ā 

Ā 

I guess the real question is, if we keep losing will Ronnie turn to Heine, or give the rookie a shot?

Ā 

Ā 

The point of playing QB is not to run around a bit.Ā 
Ā 

We need to give our QB a clean pocket to work from. Watch the tape, barely got to the top of his drop before the line broke down in multiple spots.

7 hours ago, Riggodrill44 said:

The point of playing QB is not to run around a bit.Ā 
Ā 

We need to give our QB a clean pocket to work from. Watch the tape, barely got to the top of his drop before the line broke down in multiple spots.

There's other tape out there that shows a play called for T-Mac who is open from the snap and Wentz stares him down but never throws the ball. This was provided by one of the Commmanders beat guys. Good QB's help out their offensive lines by making plays when things break down....tomorrow has disaster written all over it unless Turner pushes all the right buttons and Wentz takes his game to another level that we haven't seen.

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

There's other tape out there that shows a play called for T-Mac who is open from the snap and Wentz stares him down but never throws the ball. This was provided by one of the Commmanders beat guys. Good QB's help out their offensive lines by making plays when things break down....tomorrow has disaster written all over it unless Turner pushes all the right buttons and Wentz takes his game to another level that we haven't seen.

Guy got sacked nine times, and Iā€™ve heard about this play more than any of the other 8 sacks and numerous hurries.

Ā 

The line play was god awful. Ā Similar to the first half against the Lions. Ā Wentz hitting the the 3rd step of a 3 step drop and getting waxed. Ā I donā€™t know how anyone can watch that without bias and walk away worried about Wentz rather than the five dudes in front of him.

Ā 

None of that is to say Wentz had no blame at all. I just donā€™t see any QB thriving when their OL is giving up immediate pressure from multiple spots. Ā 
Ā 

I would actually prefer to be able to lay the blame primarily at the feet of Wentz. It would be easier to believe in Wentz simply having a bad game he can shake off, than it is for me to believe our OL isnā€™t going to be a huge problem for 17 weeks.

Ā 

Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Guy got sacked nine times, and Iā€™ve heard about this play more than any of the other 8 sacks and numerous hurries.

Ā 

The line play was god awful. Ā Similar to the first half against the Lions. Ā Wentz hitting the the 3rd step of a 3 step drop and getting waxed. Ā I donā€™t know how anyone can watch that without bias and walk away worried about Wentz rather than the five dudes in front of him.

Ā 

None of that is to say Wentz had no blame at all. I just donā€™t see any QB thriving when their OL is giving up immediate pressure from multiple spots. Ā 
Ā 

I would actually prefer to be able to lay the blame primarily at the feet of Wentz. It would be easier to believe in Wentz simply having a bad game he can shake off, than it is for me to believe our OL isnā€™t going to be a huge problem for 17 weeks.

Ā 

Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

Ā well, hopefully Larsen and whenever Schweitzer returns will help a little.Ā  Additionally, maybe they work on some rollouts.Ā  Wentz isn't the most mobile, but he's also not a statue

12 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

No question the o-line has been terrible and has looked unprepared...that's not helping Wentz at all. There's plenty of blame to go around for sure.Ā 

• Like 1

I've seen enough. I was wrong about Wentz. Yes the o-line has been ****. But Wentz doesn't understand the game. He doesn't make adjustments and audibles. He doesn't know how to spread the field. He doesn't know how to throw his receivers open. It's not that Hienicke or Howell are any better. I do think Rivera will be gone this off-season and let the new coach find his guy.Ā 

6 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

I've seen enough. I was wrong about Wentz. Yes the o-line has been ****. But Wentz doesn't understand the game. He doesn't make adjustments and audibles. He doesn't know how to spread the field. He doesn't know how to throw his receivers open. It's not that Hienicke or Howell are any better. I do think Rivera will be gone this off-season and let the new coach find his guy.Ā 

Ā 

There are no audibles in Turner's offense.

Ā 

The offensive plays just take forever pre-snap while we run directly into the defensive front.Ā 

• Haha 1