Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

He’s our Stafford. We are going to the dance. Who is actually much better than us in the NFC? I don’t see it. The dude has balled before. If we add 1 more WR with a healthy Samuel and Logan Thomas we are going to be 12 win good. 

Ehhhhh not quite Stafford for me. I'd be there with Carr.

Getting that extra player will be hard unless we cut Landon.

I think Wentz is enough to get us back into the playoffs

2 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

I doubt many other teams would want him

I'm not one to make definitive statements about such things, but there wasn't even  whisper of anyone else being interested. Maybe someone was, but it wouldn't be surprising if no one else wanted to hand their franchise over to a guy who had that kind of talk about what kind of person he is. 

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

So. Much. This.

Some fans like to pretend that Wentz needs to be 14x better than Heineke to justify his salary, but that's not how it works at all.  It's almost as if these same fans haven't watched other teams with bad QBs and a hell of a supporting cast stink to high hell.  What good are elite weapons if you have a QB that cannot hit the deep ball or hit players in stride for YAC?  What good is an elite defense if the offense can't score?  It starts and ends with the QB position and it's up the front office and coaching staff to maximize the roster with what's leftover.

No but he must win 3-4 more games not 1-2 more or it’s not worth it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

He’s our Stafford. We are going to the dance. Who is actually much better than us in the NFC? I don’t see it. The dude has balled before. If we add 1 more WR with a healthy Samuel and Logan Thomas we are going to be 12 win good. 

Yikes, I agree with you. He's never had as talented of an offense. Zampese is a great QB coach and I like Turner a lot. Love having Norv in the building too. We're going to lean on the run game again and let that open up the rest. For about 3 months last year, he was ranked QB5 in the league. The upside is huge with Wentz.

The owner wanted him gone. The covid BS is where they had the big issues. We know how that goes. That's over. 

Wentz and the Commanders are looking to change directions and I think we will. I'm really happy with this.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Who told you that?

And then Wentz would have been the top rated FA and could choose one of any numbers right teams to go to.  Because whatever head case he is, he’s better than Mitch effing Trubisky.  

34 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

He’s got the IQ of a potato? @bakedtater1is gonna be thrilled!! 😆

FF5264A0-A113-4C60-AD1E-078B034626F0.jpeg.f3d74810db5129311852f5bd3abf6a92.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

And then Wentz would have been the top rated FA and could choose one of any numbers right teams to go to.  Because whatever head case he is, he’s better than Mitch effing Trubisky.  

Yep. Something tells me that other teams were offering better picks, but couldn't eat the salary like we could. There are a lot of QB hungry teams out there.

• Thumb up 1

18 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Well then RR's comments about competition in camp will be BS....Wentz will be handed the job for sure but that 70% of the snaps clause is in there for a reason. I also believe they pulled the trigger on Wentz now because they HAD to have another QB in place before free agency per Ron's comments. Hopefully Wentz fills that bill. 

What comments? Nothing he said about having a competition prior to trading for a starting QB matters. The 70% clause is there to protect us if he sucks out loud, gets injured, or nosedives mentally. Not because they expect Heinicke or a rookie to compete and take the job of the dude they just spent draft picks and big cap space on. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

No but he must win 3-4 more games not 1-2 more or it’s not worth it.

Every season is not the same.  We should know that damn well.  There are entirely too many variable to an NFL season to play that game.  

I keep seeing this talk as if 7 wins for Heineke is the standard.  As if it wasn’t possible and I’ll call it likely, that those 7 wins were the ceiling for him as a QB.  We all watched the games and saw the #s, his arrow was pointing way down to end the season.  

• Like 1

Has Wentz said anything either directly or on social media since the trade was announced?

It would be interesting to see his state of mind.

Is he reinvigorated for a new challenge ready to take on the doubters with spirit and aplomb or is he sulking alone in the basement making shallow cuts along his arms with a dull knife because he's been cast away to the anus of professional football? 

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 7

Maybe I'll bother with this later as for digging up old articles I've posted on Wentz but they did mention multiple teams interested.  I recall the Steelers was constantly one of them.  It was typically 4 teams including us.  The other 3 teams, I don't recall off the top of my head, 1 I believe was Denver before the Wilson trade.

Could Wentz have been released maybe.  But would he sign here over a team like Pittsburgh?  Plus, you'd likely have to extend his guaranteed money for multiple years if you signed him fresh.  This way not only can you let it go if he's not the guy but also if he is the right guy you have him signed 3 years.  So the contract works for either scenario.

Dont love Wentz but i like this move.  His accuracy can be hit and miss and he has a big ego.  But he's at least IMO is a full peg better than the lesser options we were stuck with -- guys like Trubisky, Winston, Jimmy G IMO.  

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 6.34.56 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

30 minutes ago, RansomthePasserby said:

My gosh those have been hard for us to come by. Feels like we’ve either have noodle arms or heartbreaking interception machines for the past 10 years. 

Haskins had a cannon. Dude could wing a $1 bill straight across the entire strip club easily.

• Haha 9

It’s also essentially a contract year for him. What are the chances he balls out so we pick up the final two years of the contract and then he ****s the bed?  Would be par for the course for this franchise. 

6 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Has Wentz said anything either directly or on social media since the trade was announced?

It would be interesting to see his state of mind.

Is he reinvigorated for a new challenge ready to take on the doubters with spirit and aplomb or is he sulking alone in the basement making shallow cuts along his arms with a dull knife because he's been cast away to the anus of professional football? 

Lol just got traded to one of the ****tiest franchises in the league. Going from playing in two really nice stadiums to playing in the ****tiest stadium in the league. 

What do you think he’s thinking?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

And he would have chosen to sign somewhere else was the possibility they had to come to grips with. Where are we if Mariota, Mitch and Winston all went to other teams? The team has made it clear they don’t like this draft class. 
they were better scenarios in my book, but this might have been one of the few realities 

This is so spot on, if people haven't figured it out by now nobody wants to come here when they have choices and Wentz would have choices.

My guess is our FO knew other teams were looking at him and didn't feel they could risk letting him hit free agency.

Wentz might have the Jeff George gene, who knows but he's a big strong QB whose thrown 147 TDs and 57 interceptions in his career.  I like the fact we have a 1 yr bridge if it doesn't work out and the 2023 draft seems to be much deeper at QB.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

People are acting like we didn't just sign a guy who's been in the top 12 in QBR for all but two seasons (rookie and last year with the Eagles).  Wentz is leaps and bounds better than Heinicke...and pretty much every quarterback we've had start since 2018.  

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Lol just got traded to one of the ****tiest franchises in the league. Going from playing in two really nice stadiums to playing in the ****tiest stadium in the league. 

What do you think he’s thinking?

Shallow cuts it us then.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

This trade with the Indianapolis Colts might be only the first step toward finding a longer-term solution: The Commanders, who have started 32 quarterbacks since the franchise last won the Super Bowl after the 1991 season, could still draft a quarterback. They could move on after one year from Wentz, with no cap penalty, if he doesn't work out. Or they could stick with him for a couple of years if there's no better option. In other words, they found their guy for right now. Beyond that? Wait and see.

...He did post strong numbers last season: 27 touchdowns, seven interceptions and a total QBR of 54.7 that ranked ninth in the NFL. But he and the Colts stumbled badly in losing the last two games of the season, including an ugly defeat against a 3-14 Jacksonville team to miss the playoffs.

As frustrating as the end of the season was for the Colts, Washington hasn't had a quarterback sniff the kind of numbers Wentz delivered since Kirk Cousins in 2017 when he threw 27 touchdowns, 13 picks and ranked 17th with a QBR of 56.2. Since 2018, Washington ranks last in combined total QBR as well as touchdown passes (71). The NFL average for touchdown passes during that time? 104.8.

Not so coincidentally: Since 2018 only six teams have a worse winning percentage than Washington (.369).

Washington inquired about Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers and offered three first-round picks to Seattle for Russell Wilson. It also considered pursuing the Texans' Deshaun Watson. After it missed on Wilson, Washington turned to Wentz because he can move (1,276 career rushing yards), is experienced and has had success.

Wentz will cost $28 million of the $35.5 million in salary-cap space Washington has available, according to Roster Management. So Washington will have to make other moves to add more help. For starters, it will either cut safety Landon Collins and save $6.6 million or have him take a pay cut to trim his $16.2 million cap hit.

If Washington drafts a quarterback, sources say the team would like to pair similar styles. Wentz has the traits to make plays outside the pocket and so do 2022 prospects Malik Willis, Desmond Ridder, Sam Howell and Matt Corral. Washington likes Kenny Pickett, too. He can move around as well, and is someone whose maturity and experience Washington really likes.

But now they don't have to draft a quarterback with the No. 11 pick, unless they really like one. In that scenario, why not? Get the problem solved.

They can also benefit if one of the top quarterbacks is available at No. 11, enticing another team to trade up. That way Washington could either add more capital in a 2022 draft that has excellent depth beyond the first round, or add more picks for 2023 in case it wants to move up to draft a quarterback.

But this is also about building a team top players want to join.

Seattle let Washington know it strongly preferred trading Wilson to the AFC, but with a no-trade clause Wilson could have nixed the deal to Denver -- if he wanted a different team. He wanted Denver. That's the Commanders' goal: Create that sort of situation.

Washington coach Ron Rivera has reasons for his optimism, but that doesn't mean the outside world yet shares them. Some do: Former NFL general manager Mike Tannenbaum told ESPN last week that he liked Washington's roster and, with Wilson, would be a true NFC title contender.

But others see a team that hasn't posted a winning season since 2016 and has questions among the skill players. Receiver Curtis Samuel, if healthy, would help quite a bit next season. Receiver Dyami Brown, if he develops, could add downfield success. Tight end Logan Thomas, if he returns in time from his torn ACL, is a terrific target. Running back J.D. McKissic, if he re-signs, is one of the NFL's best third-down backs. If the defense rebounds, it could be a top-10 unit.

That's a lot of ifs. A year from now? After another offseason of strengthening weak areas and a 2022 season that includes more wins than losses, the situation could look a lot different.

Keep this in mind: In the NFC, there's a lack of high-level quarterbacks. There is Rodgers, Matthew Stafford (Rams), Dak Prescott (Cowboys) and then a lot of questions. Wentz in the NFC looks a lot different than he does in the more competitive AFC, where there is a far greater number of top-level quarterbacks.

After striking out on Wilson, Washington found a guy. It moved fast. Wentz now must show he can be The Guy. Otherwise, the Commanders can move on just as quickly as the Colts.

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-commanders/post/_/id/42341/carson-wentz-upgrades-commanders-qb-room-but-has-plenty-to-prove

Keim

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

This is so spot on, if people haven't figured it out by now nobody wants to come here when they have choices and Wentz would have choices.

My guess is our FO knew other teams were looking at him and didn't feel they could risk letting him hit free agency.

We went from a 4 and a 6 to a 3 and future 2 for a guy that was under public assault from his own org and who's movement had already been determined while inheriting the entirety of the financial cost. I understand forcing a guy to come here, I understand not risking him hitting FA, but you don't gotta get raked over the coals like that.

giphy.webp

9 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

People are acting like we didn't just sign a guy who's been in the top 12 in QBR for all but two seasons (rookie and last year with the Eagles).  Wentz is leaps and bounds better than Heinicke...and pretty much every quarterback we've had start since 2018.  

I don't think there is any question we are not considerably better.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

F-it

Go MLB in rd #1, and sign Amari Cooper and pray that 2017 Wentz resurfaces... I mean, not that likely, but if it happens, that's a damn good year

And yes, I'm drinking

I started this intermittent fasting yesterday and wasn’t going to drink this week but since you’re drinking and we traded for a legit QB, F it! I’m drinking too!

We absolutely should sign Cooper and Wagner. Then add another stud at 11 and enter the season as legit contenders.

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1