Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

29 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Okay okay okay. I’m on board. The dude knows what he wants, what he sees, what he plans to do. I’m all-in (with my preexisting concerns lurking). 

Peters is a stud btw. He’s clearly built for this, but he’s also already got the media here in the palm of his hand, effortlessly. That’s going to come in handy in the coming years. 

• Like 12

Just now, Conn said:

Okay okay okay. I’m on board. The dude knows what he wants, what he sees, what he plans to do. I’m all-in (with my preexisting concerns lurking). 

Peters is a stud btw. He’s clearly built for this, but he’s also already got the media here in the palm of his hand, effortlessly. That’s going to come in handy in the coming years. 

I feel worse after watching that. Glad you feel better. I just dont see it.

• Thumb down 1

16 minutes ago, CommandB11 said:

Is it possible that this press conference is making feel even worse about this pick? Unbelieveably dissapointed. 

Strange reaction tbh. I was (am? Can’t just turn it off) one of the most negative people here on the pick. That presser was extremely comforting. Nothing remotely negative to take away from it. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

Well, looking over the remaining OTs we better be all over Blake Fisher at #36 and hopefully maybe Kingsley Suamataia at #40.  OTs are running low after round 1 and we need them to protect JD.  

42 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I don’t know how you can watch this and not feel good about it. Lots to play out still. But look how excited Peters is. Excited to watch him grow more than anyone. 

Also I told y’all the golf thing was a nothing story. It’s not too late to take the things you said back lol

• Like 11

1 hour ago, CommandB11 said:

Is it possible that this press conference is making feel even worse about this pick? Unbelieveably dissapointed. 

Wait. How did it make you feel worse? He literally laid out all the reasons they liked jayden. It didn’t seem like a choice that was made on a whim. 

After watching this I’m ok with the pick. And this is coming from someone who initially wanted to keep Sam and trade back. 

We are so use to being disappointed as a fan base. I’m trying to give the new ownership the benefit of the doubt 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Skintime said:

No kidding, we have had 30+ years of fools gold. Why not a few more

Kirk Cousins was fools gold.  Carson Wentz was fools good.  Sam Howell was fools gold.  They were all comps for Drake Maye, whom I would consider to have been the ultimate fools good.

JD will not be fools good.  You can mark my words. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb down 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Yeah Peters is fairly clear on the narrative, Daniels was the pick from a long way out. Can’t see an hint of any real indecision in there, he’s absolutely raved about him. 

Time to back the FO and QB and enjoy what is to follow…..

• Like 4

lol Bayou Bob. 

I’m glad Peters feels so strongly about Daniels. He should. I’d be worried if he didn’t.  Look at you guys getting excited over press conferences, it’s adorable. 

That’s the thing, though. All the GMs feel this way about the picks they make, especially towards the top of the first round. If you turn on the Patriots GM’s press conference, I’m sure he’s saying a lot of similar things about Maye.  I’m sure the Falcons are so stoked about Penix that they didn’t give a **** about pissing off Cousins. 

But you know as well as I do that there’s tape out there of analysts hyping Zach Wilson.  It’s the same **** that’s being posted here. 

However, before I get to those videos, here’s Jets GM Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh talking about Zach Wilson right after they drafted him. 

Value the decision making, anticipation, accuracy and the ability to make plays off schedule! 

Mental horsepower!!

Patrick Mahomes written all over him!

Made some throws that NFL quarterbacks would love to make!  

Bulls-eye dead eye thrower! Delivers the ball in magician like ways!  Not a lot of people on the planet who can do things like that!

Most exciting playmaker prospect in the draft! Displays an array of creativity! Mahomes!

Greeny getting over Sam Darnold and getting hyped about Wilson! 

Skip and Shannon got it right. Shannon saying how Mahomes, Rodgers sat. How Eli didn’t play for the first half of the season cause Kurt Warner was the guy.  Brady (never anointed as a savior) sat for a year. 

And no one here’s gonna wanna hear any of that. “Oh Spiff, this is different. New owner! New GM!”

What’s not new is taking an undersized QB in the top 5 of the draft and making him your franchise guy from the start.  Daniels is probably our Week 1 starter and I get it, everyone wants to see the shiny new toy. Everyone can’t wait to see the hot new prospect. Everyone can’t wait to open their Christmas presents on Christmas morning, they want them on Christmas Eve. 

Sit him for at least the first half of the year, let Mariota take the hits.  If the line ain’t ready, don’t play him.  

“Rookie contract, Spiff! It’s so valuable to get a quarterback who can produce on his rookie contract! He’s gotta play from the start!”

Think the Chiefs gave a **** about a rookie contract?  Did the Packers with Jordan Love? 

“But Spiff, CJ STROUD!!”

They got lucky. 

Hype! Excitement! #2 pick! Everyone’s so excited! It’s gonna be different this time because it has to be!

It’s whatever. I hope he does well.  Odds are he won’t, more QBs bust than go on to be franchise stars.  Odds are we’ll be right back here in a year or two dreaming on some other quarterback and getting all excited about his tape and his throws and his ability to predict what defenses are gonna do pre-snap and his ability to read defenses from the pocket and his ability to quickly go through his options and his ability to make throws no one else can and his ability to scramble when plays break down and his ability to be a leader and his dedication and work ethic and how he’s the first one in the building and how he’s the last one to leave the building. 

Sound familiar? 

It’s the same stuff that gets said about practically everyone else. I’m tired of hype, I’m tired of talking heads telling me why this guy (not just Daniels, I’m talking about any quarterback) is the next biggest thing. 

And they don’t know. No one knows, because they knew about Zach Wilson. Zach’s Fifth Avenue. 

“New GM! New coaching staff, Spiff! New owner! It feels so different this time around! If you can’t see it, you’re blind! They have a process!”

Yeah, okay.

Really wanna excite me? Really wanna surprise me? Really wanna show me they have a plan?

I hope they sit him. I hope they take their time with him.  I hope they fix the line and don’t put him under center until there’s a ****ing brick wall in front of him.  I don’t think it’s a good pick but I’d like to at least see them do what they can to ensure they get the most out off him before trotting him out there Week 1 just because no one has patience and just because SPIFF, ROOKIE CONTRACT THEY GOTTA GET THE MOST VALUE OUT IF HIM!

Get the most value out of him by keeping him upright, keeping him healthy and making sure he’s got a line in front of him.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

lol Bayou Bob. 

I’m glad Peters feels so strongly about Daniels. He should. I’d be worried if he didn’t.  Look at you guys getting excited over press conferences, it’s adorable. 

That’s the thing, though. All the GMs feel this way about the picks they make, especially towards the top of the first round. If you turn on the Patriots GM’s press conference, I’m sure he’s saying a lot of similar things about Maye.  I’m sure the Falcons are so stoked about Penix that they didn’t give a **** about pissing off Cousins. 

But you know as well as I do that there’s tape out there of analysts hyping Zach Wilson.  It’s the same **** that’s being posted here. 

However, before I get to those videos, here’s Jets GM Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh talking about Zach Wilson right after they drafted him. 

Value the decision making, anticipation, accuracy and the ability to make plays off schedule! 

Mental horsepower!!

Patrick Mahomes written all over him!

Made some throws that NFL quarterbacks would love to make!  

Bulls-eye dead eye thrower! Delivers the ball in magician like ways!  Not a lot of people on the planet who can do things like that!

Most exciting playmaker prospect in the draft! Displays an array of creativity! Mahomes!

Greeny getting over Sam Darnold and getting hyped about Wilson! 

Skip and Shannon got it right. Shannon saying how Mahomes, Rodgers sat. How Eli didn’t play for the first half of the season cause Kurt Warner was the guy.  Brady (never anointed as a savior) sat for a year. 

And no one here’s gonna wanna hear any of that. “Oh Spiff, this is different. New owner! New GM!”

What’s not new is taking an undersized QB in the top 5 of the draft and making him your franchise guy from the start.  Daniels is probably our Week 1 starter and I get it, everyone wants to see the shiny new toy. Everyone can’t wait to see the hot new prospect. Everyone can’t wait to open their Christmas presents on Christmas morning, they want them on Christmas Eve. 

Sit him for at least the first half of the year, let Mariota take the hits.  If the line ain’t ready, don’t play him.  

“Rookie contract, Spiff! It’s so valuable to get a quarterback who can produce on his rookie contract! He’s gotta play from the start!”

Think the Chiefs gave a **** about a rookie contract?  Did the Packers with Jordan Love? 

“But Spiff, CJ STROUD!!”

They got lucky. 

Hype! Excitement! #2 pick! Everyone’s so excited! It’s gonna be different this time because it has to be!

It’s whatever. I hope he does well.  Odds are he won’t, more QBs bust than go on to be franchise stars.  Odds are we’ll be right back here in a year or two dreaming on some other quarterback and getting all excited about his tape and his throws and his ability to predict what defenses are gonna do pre-snap and his ability to read defenses from the pocket and his ability to quickly go through his options and his ability to make throws no one else can and his ability to scramble when plays break down and his ability to be a leader and his dedication and work ethic and how he’s the first one in the building and how he’s the last one to leave the building. 

Sound familiar? 

It’s the same stuff that gets said about practically everyone else. I’m tired of hype, I’m tired of talking heads telling me why this guy (not just Daniels, I’m talking about any quarterback) is the next biggest thing. 

And they don’t know. No one knows, because they knew about Zach Wilson. Zach’s Fifth Avenue. 

“New GM! New coaching staff, Spiff! New owner! It feels so different this time around! If you can’t see it, you’re blind! They have a process!”

Yeah, okay.

Really wanna excite me? Really wanna surprise me? Really wanna show me they have a plan?

I hope they sit him. I hope they take their time with him.  I hope they fix the line and don’t put him under center until there’s a ****ing brick wall in front of him.  I don’t think it’s a good pick but I’d like to at least see them do what they can to ensure they get the most out off him before trotting him out there Week 1 just because no one has patience and just because SPIFF, ROOKIE CONTRACT THEY GOTTA GET THE MOST VALUE OUT IF HIM!

Get the most value out of him by keeping him upright, keeping him healthy and making sure he’s got a line in front of him.

look...I see what you are trying to say. but when Bruce Allen tells me, with such conviction, "we have a damn good culture." g'damn it, I believe it.

srs though, I wanted maye from a raw physical traits standpoint, but I dunno crap. I'll be optimistic and hope for the best.

2 minutes ago, fwo40 said:

I feel like this board is more negative on the Daniels pick than it was when Haskins was drafted. That's insane to me.

Right? It’s wild. The tune will change soon enough, it’s ok.

What’s up with the Bayou Bob shot in the title? Randall or not, doubt Maye would’ve got the tongue in cheek thread title. 

Meh(maye) whatever.  

Edited by BayouBrave86
  • Like 3

Just now, fwo40 said:

I feel like this board is more negative on the Daniels pick than it was when Haskins was drafted. That's insane to me.

I certainly see why folks think this way, but I think context is important.

There are mechanical and skill things that Daniels does that needs improvement. But, that's the same for all of these guys. Caleb holds the ball for 2 hours on each snap. Maye's footwork is wildly inconsistent, Daniels takes too many hits and has some inconsistencies with feet, Nix only throws passes 3.2 yards away from him, Penix is a walking injury, Rattler struggled with overall consistency, Sam Hartman... is Sam Hartman.

Daniels potential is sky damn high. It's hard for me to ignore that because it's there. He is a great athlete, wants to get better and has shown great strides in improving his game. 

I think a lot of folks here, understandably (and this includes me and I don't say this stuff lightly) are terrified of his injury potential due to frame and how many hits he takes and how he just doesn't avoid them. 

That's the biggest concern. Mechanical stuff is fixable. As long as he's healthy, I think all of it will be corrected to make him much more consistent. 

Healthy is the concern.

I don't think that anyone thinks Haskins was a better prospect than Daniels. Daniels potential is sky high through the roof and it cannot be ignored. 

• Like 1

So according to Keim, AP really liked JJ. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense, felt like an AP type player. Kind of made me a little nervous but to be honest, it was a unique situation for a first time GM and I do believe there was a deferral to coaching staff on the JD pick. Or they just had more of weighted input than they might have had with an established GM who had drafted a franchise QB before.

All good, I'm totally on the JD bandwagon now, just need to protect him. 

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I certainly see why folks think this way, but I think context is important.

There are mechanical and skill things that Daniels does that needs improvement. But, that's the same for all of these guys. Caleb holds the ball for 2 hours on each snap. Maye's footwork is wildly inconsistent, Daniels takes too many hits and has some inconsistencies with feet, Nix only throws passes 3.2 yards away from him, Penix is a walking injury, Rattler struggled with overall consistency, Sam Hartman... is Sam Hartman.

Daniels potential is sky damn high. It's hard for me to ignore that because it's there. He is a great athlete, wants to get better and has shown great strides in improving his game. 

I think a lot of folks here, understandably (and this includes me and I don't say this stuff lightly) are terrified of his injury potential due to frame and how many hits he takes and how he just doesn't avoid them. 

That's the biggest concern. Mechanical stuff is fixable. As long as he's healthy, I think all of it will be corrected to make him much more consistent. 

Healthy is the concern.

I don't think that anyone thinks Haskins was a better prospect than Daniels. Daniels potential is sky high through the roof and it cannot be ignored. 

I guess where I'm at is that - I see a player w/o a real injury history, who has a very, very high ceiling - and as you said, very correctable non-fatal flaws in his game. I'm taking that combo all day, and I'll leave injuries which can happen to anyone up to fate. To see some of these posts on here toss in the towel on the new GM and the process before we even have rookie camp...well again that's the type of reaction you save for a pick like Haskins....not this one.

2 minutes ago, fwo40 said:

I guess where I'm at is that - I see a player w/o a real injury history, who has a very, very high ceiling - and as you said, very correctable non-fatal flaws in his game. I'm taking that combo all day, and I'll leave injuries which can happen to anyone up to fate. To see some of these posts on here toss in the towel on the new GM and the process before we even have rookie camp...well again that's the type of reaction you save for a pick like Haskins....not this one.

I agree, but those that are throwing in the towel are a big time outlier. MOST of the concern here is entirely based on durability concerns and not being out on the regime. 

There would have been over the top nonsense for any of the picks. 

• Like 3