Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

37 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Yeah it's funny. If the team picking high already had a QB then sure you can trade. But you have 3 teams at the top all needing a QB in a great QB draft. Why the heck does anyone think they can trade up because they need one. Good luck, just like you can't trade back without a willing party, can't trade up just cause you want to. 

Exactly.   If that were the case, Caleb to DC would be a done deal by now.

So many of the random mocks I see that have us taking McCarthy at #2 feel like it’s because the author really really wants to find a clean, easy way to give the Patriots Maye and the Vikings Daniels. Makes for a neat top-4 that fits the popular leaks and reporting about the teams at #3 and #4, even though there’s nothing reliable leaking about the action at #2. I think it’s mostly just the consequence of wanting those guys to fall to those spots, for these mock draft geeks. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Conn said:

So many of the random mocks I see that have us taking McCarthy at #2 feel like it’s because the author really really wants to find a clean, easy way to give the Patriots Maye and the Vikings Daniels. Makes for a neat top-4 that fits the popular leaks and reporting about the teams at #3 and #4, even though there’s nothing reliable leaking about the action at #2. I think it’s mostly just the consequence of wanting those guys to fall to those spots, for these mock draft geeks. 

I think a lot of it is just clickbait too.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Gonna be pretty sweet on Thursday night, April 25 when we draft Drake Maye and I can come in here and say, “Yes, I win!”

We all win in that scenario.

Maybe not Forbes. He won’t be able to take pics next to the new QB and look like Arnold in comparison.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, wit33 said:

What's the basis for your assertion that it's easy and achievable within a three-month timeframe?I strongly disagree; it's much harder than some people make it out to be.I often liken changing natural motor mechanics as a passer to adjusting shooting form in basketball.

From my experience, most people struggle to change their shots, and those who succeed often take a long time. They have to be incredibly dedicated and somewhat obsessed with the process to make it happen.

Moreover, those who do manage to change their shot usually believe deep down that the change is necessary; it's not something they do just because someone else tells them to.

It's often overlooked how challenging it can be to convince someone that they need to change their mechanics, especially when they're poised to be a top 3 pick, have likely secured generational wealth for their family, and have experienced significant on-field success. Even individuals who come across as amiable in interviews may resist this process, and it's not necessarily right or wrong for them to do so. It's a highly nuanced and layered situation.

This is a point I want to address. I'm not a coach, so I don't know how easy or hard something like footwork is to fix. But I don't think it's a coincidence that both Sam Howell and Drake Maye came from the same college program into the NFL within 2 years of each other and both have almost the identical problem with footwork, drift in the pocket, throw of the back foot, heel-click, happy feet, problems as the other does.

Something is not being coached to these QB's at the UNC program. But you would have to have your head buried in the sand not to have heard from 60 different sources that Maye's major red flag is his footwork. You know he's heard it. And he's probably working on it as we speak. He's a very bright kid

It's not like he can't properly drop and set, or that he's never done it. He does it quite frequently. Just not all the time. So I don't buy that a 3 month time-frame isn't an adequate amount of time to become consistent at something he does most of the time, just not all the time. 

I know that I am oversimplifying this, but the guy is a competitor. He's aware of the problem and surely wants to fix it because he wants to win. Something like consistency isn't hard to teach. He can already do it. It's not new to him. Coaches need to do some in-depth drills and clinics with him. they also need to talk to him and find out what's going on in his head on some of these plays. Like 'why did you drift to the right on this play when your 1st and 2nd reads were to the left?'

So much has been said about Drake's footwork, like it's this big, insurmountable thing. He can already do it. And, I'm sure that he's smart enough to see that his best games with his best completion percentages were when he limited the mental lapses with his footwork and kept his mechanics smooth.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, TheBigJourney said:

At least from the Fox sports article I posted as well as the other reports about him, I get the vibe that Peters likes McCarthy a lot more than people think. He possesses a lot of intangibles that are crucial to a franchise QB and has room to grow as a 21 year old. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s viewed as Kirk Cousins with better mobility, and we know how much that 49ers front office wanted Kirk back in 2017.

I’m so, so, fatigued of intangibles. It’s been 20 years of intangibles. This draft, and Christmas, I’d just really prefer some tangibles. 

I’ll take Drake Maye and then Jayden Daniels, in that order, please. And I’ll take Penix over McCarthy. 

I think Penix could be the Drew Brees of this draft class. Taken late first, early second, but long and super productive career. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Conn said:

Mocks are clickbait and very few should be taken seriously.

I honestly can’t tell you the last time I even looked at one.

• Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

It's nice to read the past page of the thread and just read posts busting on other posters and joking.

This thread has just been harder to read over the past few weeks with repetitive some heated arguing over the top 4 QB's and how much one sucks over the other.

The announcement of our first selection in 24 days...at least we have made it to April

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Slightly taken aback at the convo Keim had with Bram Weinstein I think yesterday on his podcast where I was getting a bit of a "win sooner" vibe.  Won't say it was "win now" cause I don't think it went that far, but they were talking about trying to bring excitement and that they need to do better than 4-13 (which, sure), and it concerns me because with #2 we should be picking the QB who will anchor this team through like, 2036, ideally, versus the guy we think will be better 2024-2025, but maybe won't be as good as someone else 2026-2036.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mock Drafts are entertainment click bait. I have never looked at a Mock Draft and thought that is how the draft will go. The first pick is usually a sure thing but still not 100%. 1 unexpected pick in the first 5 to 10 picks renders every Mock Draft completely irrelevant. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Mocks are clickbait and very few should be taken seriously.

I honestly can’t tell you the last time I even looked at one.

I agree with you. They’re sprinkled all over this thread as if this guy came through though:

IMG_3992.jpeg

Edited by Conn
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Yeah, sorry Minnesota. We can’t just let you have any quarterback that you want. I’m sure that sounds really great to you but that’s just not gonna work for me.

Not to say this guy is right, but Minny can't just force their way into the Top 3 of the draft.

Just like we can't force the Bears to trade us the first pick and have Caleb come home.

Edited by BMagic

10 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Yeah **** them.  If they wanted Drake, they should have sucked more.

Yeah, can you believe they think they can get a top 2 QB without having to go through the agony of a crap season? The arrogance. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Seinfeld is hands down the best sitcom of the 90s.  Change my mind.  

Stay strong young @Rex Tomb for you are wise and fearles well beyond your years.

You have spoken the great truth and only the wicked things, that slowly slither in the dark  will believe differently...

But their numbers have become legion...

and now, with your heroic words of comic salvation, it is you who their dark lord must destroy...

I will pray for thee

But only from a safe distance

May you eat well and find spiritual sustenance in "The Rye",  "The Junior Mint", and "The Chinese Resraurant" and may you never be told the soul shattering words... "No soup for you!"

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, mudhog said:

This is a point I want to address. I'm not a coach, so I don't know how easy or hard something like footwork is to fix. But I don't think it's a coincidence that both Sam Howell and Drake Maye came from the same college program into the NFL within 2 years of each other and both have almost the identical problem with footwork, drift in the pocket, throw of the back foot, heel-click, happy feet, problems as the other does.

Something is not being coached to these QB's at the UNC program. But you would have to have your head buried in the sand not to have heard from 60 different sources that Maye's major red flag is his footwork. You know he's heard it. And he's probably working on it as we speak. He's a very bright kid

It's not like he can't properly drop and set, or that he's never done it. He does it quite frequently. Just not all the time. So I don't buy that a 3 month time-frame isn't an adequate amount of time to become consistent at something he does most of the time, just not all the time. 

I know that I am oversimplifying this, but the guy is a competitor. He's aware of the problem and surely wants to fix it because he wants to win. Something like consistency isn't hard to teach. He can already do it. It's not new to him. Coaches need to do some in-depth drills and clinics with him. they also need to talk to him and find out what's going on in his head on some of these plays. Like 'why did you drift to the right on this play when your 1st and 2nd reads were to the left?'

So much has been said about Drake's footwork, like it's this big, insurmountable thing. He can already do it. And, I'm sure that he's smart enough to see that his best games with his best completion percentages were when he limited the mental lapses with his footwork and kept his mechanics smooth.

I agree, don't see Maye's footwork as a major issue going forward, I think both he and the issue are super-coachable. I have also seen multiple reports of UNC coaching for QBs not being the best. Fortunately, I think, Maye has only played football for 2 of the last 4 years (I don't count the few minutes total of end-of-game time his redshirt freshman year as 'playing'), including no football season his senior HS year, and he's only 21, so it just doesn't seem like footwork is something anywhere near set in stone for him.

I'm more concerned about his decision-making, including reported issues with post-snap adjustments, headscratching tendencies to float into sacks and make the wrong throw (i.e., into coverage with other receivers open); and those hilariously-bad throws. Are those all things that can be coached out of him? Wobblers and bad misses, sure. The rest, not so sure.

But I hope those are things he can overcome, because I really really want to see him throwing deep bullets over the middle to Scary Terry.

• Like 1

https://www.audacy.com/theteam980/sports/washington-commanders/rooster-can-buy-commanders-considering-jj-mccarthy-at-no-2

So apparently, one of Rooster’s connections told him that the Commanders are looking heavily at J.J. McCarthy – as he got an ‘unsolicited text from a coach I talk to regularly, who has been right on lot of things, that said McCarthy is a guy to watch out for.’

“That matches with what Tom Pelissero said earlier this week, and we know in advance of Michigan's Pro Day, the Commanders specifically had dinner with McCarthy, and there's been a lot of innuendo and rumor tying McCarthy into the Top 4, which people immediately had problems with, and even I thought was a little bit strange, because I didn't view him as a Top 4 prospect,” Rooster said. “I like my quarterbacks to not be totally protected in college and to be able to show me what they're all about going into the NFL, where they're gonna take on tougher defenses and maybe not have as good of an offensive line or offensive system as Michigan did.”