Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And Quinn was blown away by how exhaustive Peters was going over detail after detail -- route combinations, what the QBs is seeing, etc.  And he said he told his wife that night Peters is a stud.

Shoot, I thought we were past FO scandals. This is concerning...

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, RWJ said:

(Inconsistent throwing motion which hampers accuracy, timing, and power).  

I agree it would be ideal for both Daniels and Maye to back up a solid vet to start the season, but I also agree it's not likely to happen.  

Not sure I agree about Daniels' throwing motion, if that's who you were referring to. I haven't seen/read anything anywhere about his motion being inconsistent or a concern. To the contrary, it seems to be virtually a unanimous opinion, everywhere I look, that Daniels' throwing motion, feet, and quick release are all solid strengths for him. I've seen his motion compared to Stroud more than once.

Edit: I will say, the Simms video on Daniels did opine, while comparing his motion to Stroud, that Daniels doesn't 'torque' his body enough when throwing, resulting in all-arm throws and contributing to not-elite arm strength. They also said, and I thought this was interesting, that they expect his velocity to increase in the NFL because coaches will make him torque, and the NFL ball is easier to throw than the college ball. Not sure how much I believe that, but it's interesting.

Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Like 2

For those of us who are old enough to remember this QB class…this season reminds me so much of this to a degree, of all these QB’s… Williams, Maye, Daniels, McCarthy, Nix etc… someone is going to get a Blackledge, a Eason… but of all the QB’s in that class who was a darn good QB for years and really unrated , it was Ken O’Brien… who’s going to be the O’Brien in this class, Nix? and who’s going to the the Blackledge and Eason? And do we have a Elway or Marino and Jim Kelly in this class?  

John Elway

1st

Colts

Todd Blackledge

7th

Chiefs

Jim Kelly

14th

Bills

Tony Eason

15th

Patriots

Ken O'Brien

24th

Jets

Dan Marino

27th

Dolphins

Edited by Command The 414
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

There's a lot of the lower echelon tv heads that I don't think bring much more, and sometimes aren't even as good, as some top notch website posters or just some fans I've known in my life. And while I like Dan Orlovsky ok when I watch him on NFL Network, he's in that "meh" camp to me 

I think there's a tendency for some Internet posters to just do a fire hose spew of "sources", mainly in service of their own views, but also because it's just typical social media behavior. Quantity is confused with quality.

A lot of linked stuff is interesting and has value. A lot of it doesn't. Competent discernment is a valuable trait in good discussion. Credible, reliable, intelligent, informed, and well established sources are awesome. 

But I also like to read what the poster thinks on their own, how they view a matter, beyond their links and I don't care much for the "I'll post a link from just about anyone online" deal. After awhile it gets a little too close to just spamming the board imv. We don't need to be another portal for everyone with an account on x or reddit. We want to know how our members see things. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

I agree it would be ideal for both Daniels and Maye to back up a solid vet to start the season, but I also agree it's not likely to happen.  

Not sure I agree about Daniels' throwing motion, if that's who you were referring to. I haven't seen/read anything anywhere about his motion being inconsistent or a concern. To the contrary, it seems to be virtually a unanimous opinion, everywhere I look, that Daniels' throwing motion, feet, and quick release are all solid strengths for him. I've seen his motion compared to Stroud more than once.

Yeah. 

I also think traditionally there are different thought processes around sitting players but the general one seems to be "if they have major mechanics issues - footwork, elongated throwing motion, bad base - they should sit because playing them will reinforce those bad habits and they become harder to fix."

Its like the difference between trying to get someone to quit smoking who has been doing it for a few months compared to someone who has been doing it for years. The longer they do it, the harder it becomes to break them out of the habit. Its not just breaking the habit, its introducing new mechanics and then having those new mechanics be second nature. 

Jordan Love sat for 2 seasons and he still was falling back on his bad footwork habits at the start of the season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Conn said:

A helpful way to look at it is to realize that the way Harris operates, he sets the vision and the rubric for his GM and then lets them work. He’s known for it. He’s not a meddler, his whole thing is to give people all the tools and resources they could need or ask for and then hold them accountable. 

How do you hold your GM accountable if you don’t know what he’s doing and how he makes decisions, how he approaches his job? He’s learning the league. Observing is fine. He’s not the type to fall in love with a prospect and have a football opinion. He’s learning about and evaluating his FO + HC hires, not the players. 

I thought he hired the GM based upon an interview structure designed to gauge the strength of the candidate. That was done. Now step back, trust the hire and go to a few basketball games. That is what I think. 

I just have never heard, with the exception of Jerry Jones and of course Snyder, such meddling. He is out of his element. 

2 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Yeah. 

I also think traditionally there are different thought processes around sitting players but the general one seems to be "if they have major mechanics issues - footwork, elongated throwing motion, bad base - they should sit because playing them will reinforce those bad habits and they become harder to fix."

Its like the difference between trying to get someone to quit smoking who has been doing it for a few months compared to someone who has been doing it for years. The longer they do it, the harder it becomes to break them out of the habit. Its not just breaking the habit, its introducing new mechanics and then having those new mechanics be second nature. 

Jordan Love sat for 2 seasons and he still was falling back on his bad footwork habits at the start of the season. 

Also, Love only played 2 seasons of college ball. Daniels played 5. If Daniels is not ready to play then he is a guaranteed bust. Guy is too old with too much experience to make significant changes. If he doesn’t have it now then in all likelihood, he never will based on past results. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

This fan base will not survive picking a QB at #2 and seeing him not start for up to 2 years (aka Jordon Love).

Seeing Josh Harris at combine tells me for $6B I will be involved at all levels. He hired Peters for building the team. We just need to let it happen. Good days ahead!!

Edited by foreverbandg

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

Also, Love only played 2 seasons of college ball. Daniels played 5. If Daniels is not ready to play then he is a guaranteed bust. Guy is too old with too much experience to make significant changes. If he doesn’t have it now then in all likelihood, he never will based on past results. 

I don't think Daniels needs to sit. Maybe a few games to ease him in but really he should be fine starting. From a mechanics standpoint he's sound. He'll need to work on sliding, going through his reads at a different pace and balancing when to run and when not to. 

Also Kurt Warner gave his opinion on the QBs on the Gresh and Fauria Show (Pata radio). Since the thought is too many links have been posted in this thread, I'll let yall find it on Twitter or X. 

3 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

I thought he hired the GM based upon an interview structure designed to gauge the strength of the candidate. That was done. Now step back, trust the hire and go to a few basketball games. That is what I think. 

I just have never heard, with the exception of Jerry Jones and of course Snyder, such meddling. He is out of his element. 

That is not what meddling is. If he starts meddling, everyone here will have pitchforks.

• Like 2

@Est.1974

Rereading that exchange.  If the point you were aiming at was there isn't a large group who do not want want a QB, I agree.  But there is a group like that which indeed exists.  I've debated them among others here.  Tough for me to forget.   And I've seen my share of those same debates existing on twitter and talk radio.  

But its all good as far as I am concerned.   Will see what happens.  I do agree with the sentiment here that Josh sitting in on these QB meetings specifically highlights the importance of QB with this group.  Ditto Myers being there.  Myers' niche is understanding leadership.  Key quality of course with QBs. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NOLA2DC said:

MHJ- No agent, no combine workout. I think Bomani raises some valid points in light of the workout debate for QBs

All true. I agreed w/ all of it.

Its not just prepping for tests with form and technique tho. If you want to do well at the combine, you have to tear your body apart for months beforehand.

You gotta put yourself in position to throw up 225lbs as many times as you can.

You gotta crank up your capacity for explosive push offs to do well in the 40 and broad jump

Gotta dial in and optimize your weight and bmi through rigorous diet and training, or even change your body type to do better in a specific event.

Its all hard work and its all a injury risk as well. If you got nothin' to gain, why do it?

And like he said, at the end of it all, your never going to need to do much of that stuff again. Your never going to have to demonstrate how many times you can throw up a weight or run a 40.

For the vast majority of prospects, its is very much worth the effort. For the guys at the tippy-top? Better served doing something else.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, foreverbandg said:

This fan base will not survive picking a QB at #2 and seeing him not start for up to 2 years (aka Jordon Love).

Seeing Josh Harris at combine tells me for $6B I will be involved at all levels. He hired Peters for building the team. We just need to let it happen. Good days ahead!!

Ok so here's a question.

Lets say Peters and them LOVE Drake Maye's upside. They take him but they agree with Simms, Orlovksy and the rest that he needs to sit so they bring back Jacoby and start him for a season, maybe two. How do you feel? 

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Sad 1

Maybe I am not being clear. He should not even be there. He will have the opportunity to meet the QB selection or any prospect

9 minutes ago, Conn said:

That is not what meddling is. If he starts meddling, everyone here will have pitchforks.

We have no idea what he is saying. It is at the least muddying the waters. And that leads, as we have learned, to meddling. I am sorry he should not be there. It is just my opinion.  We do not know him. 

5 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Ok so here's a question.

Lets say Peters and them LOVE Drake Maye's upside. They take him but theh they agree with Simms, Orlovksy and the rest that he needs to sit so they bring back Jacoby and start him for a season, maybe two. How do you feel? 

I would LOVE it if they drafted Maye and paired him with Brissett, perfect mentor, so many of the same attributes. I'd be surprised if he came back here though, instead of going someplace that makes him a full-time starter, or going back to NE to mentor whoever they pick.  I think we'll have to overpay him to have any shot at keeping him, especially if it was as short-term bridge to rookie. Maye is so young, I'd think there'd much less angst about sitting him to begin with, versus Daniels.

Edited by Dah-Dee

7 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

I would LOVE it if they drafted Maye and paired him with Brissett, perfect mentor, so many of the same attributes. I'd be surprised if he came back here though, instead of going someplace that makes him a full-time starter, or going back to NE to mentor whoever they pick.  I think we'll have to overpay him to have any shot at keeping him, especially if it was as short-term bridge to rookie. Maye is so young, I'd think there'd much less angst about sitting him to begin with, versus Daniels.

Because of how much he has played and his age, Daniels would have to start immediately wherever he goes. Thats why I kind of think a plug and play situation like Atlanta or Minnesota or Vegas would probably be likely trade up partners. 

• Like 1

What are you watching for from the quarterback group?

Kiper: I'll have my eyes on Michigan's J.J. McCarthy, who might be the single most difficult evaluation in this class. That's because he looks like everything an NFL team would want in a starting quarterback -- he has a great frame, tremendous arm and stellar physical tools, and he just turned 21 years old -- yet he was never asked to carry the Michigan offense, which dominated primarily with its running game. Scouts and execs want to know why. Yes, his rate statistics look terrific -- he ranked third in the FBS in Total QBR (89.2) in 2023 -- but he averaged only 22.1 pass attempts per game.

I expect McCarthy (my QB4) to test extremely well during the on-field drills and to interview great in team meetings. Let's see what kind of buzz he produces coming out of the combine.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Ok so here's a question.

Lets say Peters and them LOVE Drake Maye's upside. They take him but they agree with Simms, Orlovksy and the rest that he needs to sit so they bring back Jacoby and start him for a season, maybe two. How do you feel? 

After those 2 years he would be the same age as Jayden is now, so yeah.  I’d be cool with it.  Honestly it’s probably best for all rookie QBs to sit for at least the beginning of the season.  Unfortunately it’s just hard to keep these race horses in the stables when you know the type of talent they have.  

I’m honestly getting burned out with all of these analyst’s takes.   I like Orlovsky, but I feel like last week Orlovsky was on ESPN saying Maye was definitely in play for the Bears at 1.  

• Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, Command The 414 said:

For those of us who are old enough to remember this QB class…this season reminds me so much of this to a degree, of all these QB’s… Williams, Maye, Daniels, McCarthy, Nix etc… someone is going to get a Blackledge, a Eason… but of all the QB’s in that class who was a darn good QB for years and really unrated , it was Ken O’Brien… who’s going to be the O’Brien in this class, Nix? and who’s going to the the Blackledge and Eason? And do we have a Elway or Marino and Jim Kelly in this class?  

John Elway

1st

Colts

Todd Blackledge

7th

Chiefs

Jim Kelly

14th

Bills

Tony Eason

15th

Patriots

Ken O'Brien

24th

Jets

Dan Marino

27th

Dolphins

In many ways the worst outcome is not drafting a Todd Blackledge or a Tony Eason. 

Its drafting a Ken O'Brien. A guy who is a perfectly serviceable QB, heck a good QB. A guy who has great games and good season but never gets you anywhere close to a chance at a Super Bowl.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1