Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Ok so here's a question.

Lets say Peters and them LOVE Drake Maye's upside. They take him but they agree with Simms, Orlovksy and the rest that he needs to sit so they bring back Jacoby and start him for a season, maybe two. How do you feel? 

I generally reject hypotheticals like this, mostly because Simms and Orlovsky and the like are idiots so I don't want to entertain their generally moronic and unqualified view points.

But if they question is more general, "are you ok if you have a backup plan and another QB plays for part of or the whole season because the draft pick isn't ready to start day 1" I would say I'm fine with that.  

It varies QB to QB whether they benefit from starting right away or not.  And it's impossible to know how much the QB who sat benefited.  

Mahomes sat for a year behind Alex Smith.  Could rookie Mahomes have been as good as year 2 Mahomes?  Maybe?  We'll never know.  

Peyto started right away.  I think he set the rookie mark for INTs that year (which might have been broken since). Could he have benefited from sitting?  Maybe. Who knows.

Josh Allen struggled a bit his first 2 years, played through it, developed, and became a top 5 QB.  

There is no right answer.  The one thing you don't want to do is put a QB out there who is incapable of protecting themselves.  That's when you absolutely have to get somebody else to play.  

Simms, FWIW, is a hot take dumbass.  Orlovsky would try and sell you the sun rises in the West.  Both are dumbasses.  

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Someone just called into 980 and said we should take Alt at #2 and the best QB left at #36.

So yes, idiots like that do exist.

Our media has made our fan base stupid.  

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

A guy like Harrison has zero incentive to do the combine. He dominated at a high level of college football. His tape speaks for itself.

Is he there at all?  The single and only thing the combine is really good for is the medicals.  Teams want those, and players have to basically comply with that piece.  There are other ways to do it, but the combine might be the easiest way....

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, illone said:

This does bring up another interesting angle and question:

Would you rather start Russ Wilson or Sam Howell for one year, while the new rookie sits and learns?

Neither.  My dream scenario is we draft Maye along with Rattler and hopefully we are offered a late 2nd or 3rd rounder in the first 10 pick of the 3rd for Howell and sign a vet such as Joshua Dobbs on a 1-2 year deal.  

9 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Ian Rappaport just said on NFL Network he has heard that the Commanders and Patriots are already receiving calls from teams who want to trade up for a QB. 

Yes, there will be ton of them and expected them to start when some of the teams got together at the Combine.  My hope is that we stay at #2 and get #1 Maye or #2 Daniels.  

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree, it keeps you in QB purgatory for longer because you have enough teases to keep the ride going for a bit longer ala the ride here with Jason Campbell.

I'd say there are worse things than Ken O'Brien, I actually think Ken O'Brien was fine, but the build around him was largely trash. The guys I think of fall into two types:

Kirk Cousins: Empty Stat guys that for whatever reason cannot grab games by the hands and win them. These guys are the guys I always wonder about. Was it really their fault, or was it more the teams fault? I'm never sure, but there are many guys like this, I suppose O'Brien is close to this, but I don't think any of those Jets teams where anywhere near close to as good as the Vikings roster was from '17-'23. Anyway, I do wonder sometimes, were the Vikes just average and Cousins is basically an 8th-13th team, so he's inherently not going to turn an average team into a top 4 team, or was it more, the Vikes were pretty good and Cousins flat out can't win big games. In fairness to Cousins, while I think its the latter, I'm not positive its the latter.

And then there are Derek Carr's. For me, Carr's a better example than O'Brien because its clear basically Carr is the metaphorical embodiment of the "dump off pass/pass for 9 yards on 3rd and 10. He's literally NEVER going to a win a super bowl in any universe or even contend for one unless you give him a flawless, perfect build or close to it.

Carr is my own personal nightmare which is why I laughed so hard when people wanted to trade for him/acquire him someway the past two offseasons before this one. As a local with connections to the Bay and Vegas (via proximity) I've seen a billion Carr games. The guy is fine. He's not bad. He's fine, and sometimes very good, but he is never, ever, in a million years gonna carry a team anywhere beyond his averageness, period. You give him a perfect defense and offense, he'll give you a 10-7 or 9-8 record. He's not winning 13 or 14 games with Kansas City, Baltimore, Philly or SF's build the past couple of years, he's a 7-10 to 10-7 QB, per always and if the roster sucks, worse. But he aint ever taking anything to a Championship game let alone a super bowl.

I didn't see O'Brien that way. O'Brien had the QB talent to win playoff games, he just never had the team, and even w/that, he actually won a playoff game, in '86 he nearly won too, taking that fantastic Browns team to OT. We had no way of knowing different because it wasn't a free agency environment back then but the team was very, very average and worse most of the time. But I was also a kid back then, so maybe I read it differently and am being persnickety for my fondness for the guy, who at times, looked really, really good (like '85-'87, and '91, and then kinda crappy 88-89 and at the end?).

But I get the point. What would I want? I'd want Marino or Elway from that class, after that, I'd probably take O'Brien too, mostly because I think O'Brien was actually pretty good. But I 1000% agree that if you've got yourself a Carr? It's 1000% worse than having a Wilson because in both circumstances you have no chance, but in one of them, you're going to find a way to justify not moving off the QB and find a way to project onto that QB talent and potential that isn't really there. For guys like Dalton, and Carr, the reality is the reality. They are fine, but they aren't ever winning. But facing that reality as a team is hard, especially when you have a strong build otherwise, and just need them to be better than average to contend. 

This is, not coincidentally, why I dont regret the RGIII trade, would do that trade again in a minute, and am 1000% for taking a QB now, as I was in '22, '21, and '20 and '18 and '17. Whats the worst that can happen? If those kinds of QB's bust, they usually sabotage your team enough to allow you to try again. The worst kinds of teams from the last decade, the Jags, the Browns, the Jets, the colts, the Giants, us, the Cardinals, the Texans, the Bears etc? If they botched a QB selection, they could go right back and try again in a year or two or three. Far worse, far, far worse, was to be the raiders with carr: perpetually a .375 to .550 team. No chance of winning squat, but never bad enough to fix the QB position. No, a thousand times for me, swing big and hard, try and make contact and send it out of the park. If you miss badly, come back in '26, and try again. If you hit, like the Chargers did with Herbert, Bengals with Burrow, Texans with Stroud, maybe the Jags with Lawrence etc, you are set. If you miss, you go back again and try and like the Texans, and Jags, you usually can get that guy, eventually and aren't stuck spinning your wheels like Oakland/Las Vegas the past decade. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

Agree, I don’t think he’s long term starter material now. However, when he gets cut, some team will literally get him on vet minimum for one season whilst DEN pay him his dues. Could be us, you never know. Likely depends on Wilson’s ambitions still….

Wilson wont want a landing spot with a team who are in a position to pick a QB high. He knows that as soon as he has a bad game the noise will be 'start the rookie". He didn't play badly last year, so I dont think he is ready to be a backup. He will look to land somewhere he is the clear starter or at least has a very clear shot to being the starter.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 3

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

Elite dual-threat quarterbacks often make an immediate impact, showcasing their ground skills from the first game of their rookie contract. While this is a significant advantage, the downside lies in the increased risk of injuries. Game 1, Daniels appears poised to match the impact of quarterbacks ranked 8-25. 

However, Drake Maye's progress depends on mastering the playbook and outsmarting quarterbacks like Kirk Cousins before stepping into competition with the elite. In contrast, Jalen Hurts faced challenges with pocket passing, throws outside the hashes, and reading the field. Despite these difficulties, he still competed, and his running prowess played a significant role in outperforming Patrick Mahomes in the Super Bowl.

I'm not dismissing Drake Maye, but from my layman perspective, he doesn't seem to offer an immediate advantage on day one. The key for him lies in becoming the smartest and fastest at reading the field, which, while interesting and can happen, doesn't inspire much confidence in my view. 

Physical Freaks! This is the way!

Drake Maye is a physical freak. 6'4 230, reportedly runs a ~4.6 40. 

Where do you draw the line at physical freak for QB? Is it anyone under a 4.5 40?

Also, is there a specific amount of yards that makes someone a legit dual threat QB in your eyes? Maye ran for 1200 yards and 16 TDs over his two seasons. Certainly not as much as Daniels, but he also is much more likely than Daniels to break the pocket and then make an off platform throw than just put his head down and run. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Command The 414 said:

For those of us who are old enough to remember this QB class…this season reminds me so much of this to a degree, of all these QB’s… Williams, Maye, Daniels, McCarthy, Nix etc… someone is going to get a Blackledge, a Eason… but of all the QB’s in that class who was a darn good QB for years and really unrated , it was Ken O’Brien… who’s going to be the O’Brien in this class, Nix? and who’s going to the the Blackledge and Eason? And do we have a Elway or Marino and Jim Kelly in this class?  

John Elway

1st

Colts

Todd Blackledge

7th

Chiefs

Jim Kelly

14th

Bills

Tony Eason

15th

Patriots

Ken O'Brien

24th

Jets

Dan Marino

27th

Dolphins

No Elway or Marino to me. I haven't see Caleb enough to imagine that, but the GM's seem to think that. For me Elway/Marino are more Luck, and Lawrence. Lawrence it hasn't happened. We'll see. Nobody here reminds me of them. 

Honestly, too, I just find myself wondering, if those teams knew then, what we know now about analytics, and tape, how would that class have gone? Elway was always going #1, and the only reason Marino fell (he was supposed to be battling Elway for #1 all going in) was that he had a crappy last year at Pitt, and somebody spread cocaine rumors about him before the draft. I wonder where they'd go today? I tend to think Elway and Marino would go top 2 or 3, and Kelly would go higher, I don't think Blackledge would go that high again, I'm not sure where Eason or O'Brien would go, O'Brien was small school, I don't remember Eason.

This class doesn't remind me of that one in part because this has a big 3, and a big gap. The next 3 to me, look more like 2nd rounders than first rounders. Penix is old and with bad medicals, Nix is scary, crap senior bowl practices, people are weary and worried, people don't know what to think of JJ, and Jayden was a day 2 guy a year ago, Marino was a going #1 or #2 overall guy a year going in.

It doesn't feel similar to me. More similar to me are classes like '06 with Young, Leinart, and Cutler, except all 3 of them had huge, gaping concerns, '04, except people weren't as sold on Rivers, and Ben Roth, maybe '99 is the best analogy because you had the small school monster in Culpepper, you had Tim Couch who was just blowing up college ball, you had the 1 year explosion guy in Akili, you had the dual threat guy in Donovan, and the fraud in Cade McNown (I saw him live, and he was noodle armed and an obvious bust). 

But if we're really honest with ourselves. There is no draft that's even a little like this one. It's just a weird draft, some of us, me included, think it's a 1 guy tier at 1, 2 and 3. With Williams, Maye, and Daniels all in tiers of their own, and all going top 3, and then the next 3 are all different depending upon how you see their ceilings, floors and concerns, but none of them look like they should be top 10 guys. There is no draft like that one. Not 2018, 1999, not 2006, not 2004, not 1983. It's a thing of its own. To me Williams and Maye are the least scary in terms of talent (they should stick in this league, no McNown style flame out unless its mental make up based), Daniels has a real high ceiling, I think Penix can and probably will be good but the medicals and age are so concerning that it probably ends up disappointing, I think JJ is either joe average, a backup, or good but not great, I dont think he busts, but I also dont think he hits a home run. Nix looks like the most obvious bust, but honestly, I have no idea, in some ways he reminds me of Herbert more than anything, not because of anything related to his upside or floor, but entirely related to me having absolutely no idea whatsoever of what will happen with him. I have no clue. None, whatsoever. I just know I don't want him. Leave the question mark to someone else.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Will see. I'd be surprised.   Recall different reports about Carroll and Wilson not getting along in their later years together.  Some that Wilson's teammates didn't like him -- as @wit33 among others noted.  And some that they didn't think he was the same QB anymore and were ready to move on.

So maybe as a backup if Wilson is willing to do that?  Years back I loved the idea of trading for Wilson but in retrospect i was wrong about that.

It's the perfect moment for a middle-tier team to make a move for Wilson. His value is currently at its nadir, and his next team will likely secure him at a lower cost, setting the stage for potential gains beyond expectations. If his mindset is in the right place and seems to be imbued with a greater sense of gratitude.

However, obviously no way Washington should do it!

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Drake Maye is a physical freak. 6'4 230, reportedly runs a ~4.6 40. 

Where do you draw the line at physical freak for QB? Is it anyone under a 4.5 40?

4.6 40 is an average athlete in the NFL. Everything Maye does, 80% of the starters can and will do in the NFL from a play and run extension. Not saying he won’t prove to be elite at backyard football or become the smartest QB in the league, but not too excited about the prospects of him outwitting the 5-10 year veterans within his rookie contract. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Also, is there a specific amount of yards that makes someone a legit dual threat QB in your eyes? Maye ran for 1200 yards and 16 TDs over his two seasons. Certainly not as much as Daniels, but he also is much more likely than Daniels to break the pocket and then make an off platform throw than just put his head down and run. 

Freaks don't need the amalgamation of two seasons to showcase their prowess. ;) 

I unapologetically embrace my bias towards exceptional talents and find it disconcerting when a quarterback of average athleticism grapples with accuracy issues of any kind being drafted in the top 5. I appreciate his versatility of being a multi-sport athlete and excelling in backyard football though. 

Edited by wit33

Maye from day one will be a top 5 athlete as a QB. He has elite combination of speed/mobility with size. Hes a faster Josh Allen or a more nimble Ben Roethlisberger.

Its amazing how people underestimate Maye’s physical ability. Hes a blue chipper in every sense of the term.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Maye from day one will be a top 5 athlete as a QB. He has elite combination of speed/mobility with size. Hes a faster Josh Allen or a more nimble Ben Roethlisberger.

Its amazing how people underestimate Maye’s physical ability. Hes a blue chipper in every sense of the term.

Top 5?

Do you honestly think he's more athletic than Deshaun Watson, Dak Prescott, Justin Fields, Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts, Anthony Richardson, etc? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm not saying Maye is not athletically gifted, I just don't know if he's in the top five. You must emphasize his height because I think Hurts, Murrary, Josh, LJ, Young, Levis, Richardson, Burrow, and Mahomes are better athletes. Also, I thought it was about being a great QB, not a great athlete. Also, 4.6 is not really fast for a young QB these days, for a lineman yes, QB no. I'm not shading Maye, but I think people feel like they have to defend his athleticism because that stands out so much with some other QBs.   

47 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

No Elway or Marino to me. I haven't see Caleb enough to imagine that, but the GM's seem to think that. For me Elway/Marino are more Luck, and Lawrence. Lawrence it hasn't happened. We'll see. Nobody here reminds me of them. 

Honestly, too, I just find myself wondering, if those teams knew then, what we know now about analytics, and tape, how would that class have gone? Elway was always going #1, and the only reason Marino fell (he was supposed to be battling Elway for #1 all going in) was that he had a crappy last year at Pitt, and somebody spread cocaine rumors about him before the draft. I wonder where they'd go today? I tend to think Elway and Marino would go top 2 or 3, and Kelly would go higher, I don't think Blackledge would go that high again, I'm not sure where Eason or O'Brien would go, O'Brien was small school, I don't remember Eason.

This class doesn't remind me of that one in part because this has a big 3, and a big gap. The next 3 to me, look more like 2nd rounders than first rounders. Penix is old and with bad medicals, Nix is scary, crap senior bowl practices, people are weary and worried, people don't know what to think of JJ, and Jayden was a day 2 guy a year ago, Marino was a going #1 or #2 overall guy a year going in.

It doesn't feel similar to me. More similar to me are classes like '06 with Young, Leinart, and Cutler, except all 3 of them had huge, gaping concerns, '04, except people weren't as sold on Rivers, and Ben Roth, maybe '99 is the best analogy because you had the small school monster in Culpepper, you had Tim Couch who was just blowing up college ball, you had the 1 year explosion guy in Akili, you had the dual threat guy in Donovan, and the fraud in Cade McNown (I saw him live, and he was noodle armed and an obvious bust). 

But if we're really honest with ourselves. There is no draft that's even a little like this one. It's just a weird draft, some of us, me included, think it's a 1 guy tier at 1, 2 and 3. With Williams, Maye, and Daniels all in tiers of their own, and all going top 3, and then the next 3 are all different depending upon how you see their ceilings, floors and concerns, but none of them look like they should be top 10 guys. There is no draft like that one. Not 2018, 1999, not 2006, not 2004, not 1983. It's a thing of its own. To me Williams and Maye are the least scary in terms of talent (they should stick in this league, no McNown style flame out unless its mental make up based), Daniels has a real high ceiling, I think Penix can and probably will be good but the medicals and age are so concerning that it probably ends up disappointing, I think JJ is either joe average, a backup, or good but not great, I dont think he busts, but I also dont think he hits a home run. Nix looks like the most obvious bust, but honestly, I have no idea, in some ways he reminds me of Herbert more than anything, not because of anything related to his upside or floor, but entirely related to me having absolutely no idea whatsoever of what will happen with him. I have no clue. None, whatsoever. I just know I don't want him. Leave the question mark to someone else.

very well detailed response...and I too share many of the points you do.  I think it's a 3 horse race w/the big 3 (Williams, Daniels & Maye) and then the rest are a bit below, but I have to say I have this overwhelming thought that should we all be around here on the board in 10-12yrs that we might just be saying that JJ McCarthy turned out the best, the big 3 are flashy and meet all the so called requirements of the NFL QB, but JJ just seems to have it all while not be so flashy and shiny....he just does things right and goes about his business, and let me say I'm a Penn State fan since a child and hate UM...so for me saying all this about McCarthy pains me to no end lol 

32 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Top 5?

Do you honestly think he's more athletic than Deshaun Watson, Dak Prescott, Justin Fields, Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts, Anthony Richardson, etc? 

I agree, Maye won't be one of the top 5 athletes at QB in 2024.  Maybe top 10? I'd add Lamar, Josh Allen (ran 4.7 at combine, measured at 6'5" 237), Desmond Ridder to the list as very good athletes (Ridder ran a 4.49 at the combine, 36" vertical; ran for 2,190 yds, 28 TD at Cincinnati). Not sure I'd have Dak in there. I might also add Williams and Daniels to potential top 10 list.

Not sure where Maye slots in with that group. He is super athletic, I'd think nobody will dispute that.

Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, wit33 said:

Elite dual-threat quarterbacks often make an immediate impact, showcasing their ground skills from the first game of their rookie contract. While this is a significant advantage, the downside lies in the increased risk of injuries. Game 1, Daniels appears poised to match the impact of quarterbacks ranked 8-25. 

However, Drake Maye's progress depends on mastering the playbook and outsmarting quarterbacks like Kirk Cousins before stepping into competition with the elite. In contrast, Jalen Hurts faced challenges with pocket passing, throws outside the hashes, and reading the field. Despite these difficulties, he still competed, and his running prowess played a significant role in outperforming Patrick Mahomes in the Super Bowl.

I'm not dismissing Drake Maye, but from my layman perspective, he doesn't seem to offer an immediate advantage on day one. The key for him lies in becoming the smartest and fastest at reading the field, which, while interesting and can happen, doesn't inspire much confidence in my view. 

Physical Freaks! This is the way!

How about a dude who is 230 pounds who supposedly runs around 4.6.  Not freakish enough?

Screen Shot 2024-02-29 at 6.32.56 PM.png

• Like 2

I think people are mistaking straight line speed or even the ability to gain rushing yards as a quarterback as the definition for athleticism. 

There are lots of guys who are extremely athletic but aren't burners.

Jumping ability, agility, arm strength, fluidity of movement, overall strength etc etc are all markers of athleticism. 

For example both Trent Williams and Sam cosmi are excellent athletes and neither are going to run a 4.4 or gain a thousand yards on the ground anytime soon.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Echoing what Peter Schrager said. 

I am REALLY curious about Caleb Williams interviews and what he's been asked with all the questions teams seem to have. I haven't seen anyone mention how they've gone. 

Jayden Daniels has a really good agent.  

If you read anything other than that from any “he is doing well in the interviews” tweets about anybody, you are completely missing the point 

57 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

This might be a bit of a stretch but wasn’t “Athletic” the word Quinn used to describe Maye? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Jayden Daniels has a really good agent.  

If you read anything other than that from any “he is doing well in the interviews” tweets about anybody, you are completely missing the point 

This might be a bit of a stretch but wasn’t “Athletic” the word Quinn used to describe Maye? 

I mean we already heard it from the Saints GM. 

Yes, Quinn said athletic. I think he is athletic. I'd feel comfortable saying he'd be top 15 as far as NFL QBs but probably not beyond that. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick

31 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I think people are mistaking straight line speed or even the ability to gain rushing yards as a quarterback as the definition for athleticism. 

I don't think I'm mistaking anything for anything.

Top 5 at the position is a take.

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

4.6 40 is an average athlete in the NFL. Everything Maye does, 80% of the starters can and will do in the NFL from a play and run extension. Not saying he won’t prove to be elite at backyard football or become the smartest QB in the league, but not too excited about the prospects of him outwitting the 5-10 year veterans within his rookie contract. 

Freaks don't need the amalgamation of two seasons to showcase their prowess. ;) 

I unapologetically embrace my bias towards exceptional talents and find it disconcerting when a quarterback of average athleticism grapples with accuracy issues of any kind being drafted in the top 5. I appreciate his versatility of being a multi-sport athlete and excelling in backyard football though. 

Again, I ask for numbers.

What number of college running yards defines what you see as a true dual threat QB? Where is the cutoff? And what is your 40 time cutoff? Does Stroud make it? He ran a 4.5 How about Hurts? You've cited him numerous times but he ran a 4.6.

The only QB in the NFL who is sub 4.4 is Lamar.

You're really boxing yourself in here.

• Like 1