Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

22 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Did you see the championship game? He finally face a defensive front that was able to get pressure on him and he folded like a lawn chair. I remember seeing a graphic about the insanely low number of pressures he'd face this past season. He's fool's gold.

The same could be said for Maye when he faced Clemson(2x), NC State (2x), oh, and Virginia 🤪

By the way, Mahomes crumbled in college a few times, so this argument is just silly.

That Penix guy can wing it. Could easily argue he has a more NFL ready arm than many in this class...

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, illone said:

The same could be said for Maye when he faced Clemson(2x), NC State (2x), oh, and Virginia 🤪

By the way, Mahomes crumbled in college a few times, so this argument is just silly.

That Penix guy can wing it. Could easily argue he has a more NFL ready arm than many in this class...

Maye had the best OL in the nation?

• Thumb up 3

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think you’re going to be surprised. 

I think that’s what he’s with but I think he’s going to fetch more. 

Fields will definitely fetch more than some of these posters think. Trading an NFL starter is 1st-2nd rounder, possibly multiple picks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

He throws one of the best balls when he has no pressure on him. He had a dominant OL that won the Moore award this past season for the best OL in the nation. He was protected incredibly well all year. Then he gets to the championship game and Michigan was able to get consistent pressure on him and he couldn't handle it and laid an egg.

No QB functions well with pressure in their face. That's why teams have hot reads and roll proctections. He did it against top-notch competition, and you're focused on the loss to Michigan.  The guy had several comeback wins, and you're talking about one game. That makes no sense. 

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Maye had the best OL in the nation?

Definitely not, but there arent many QBs who perform well under that much pressure.  It's one game that his defense gets some credit for the loss...

By the way, JJ was dealing in that game 😂

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

He had a dominant OL that won the Moore award this past season for the best OL in the nation. He was protected incredibly well all year. 

It's true, and this is one of those weird things that I've really had a hard time getting my head around with Penix, who especially with all the injuries is not super mobile, yet.....

Drake Maye got sacked 29 times this year, 40 times last year.

Jayden Daniels got sacked 22 times this year, 43 times last year.

Michael Penix got sacked 32 times... total. In 6 years (that, due to games missed to injury, probably added up to like 3.5 years, but still). 

This is a guy who had 8 yards rushing TOTAL in 2023. He can't run.

He had some killer OLs at both Indiana and Washington.

Edited by Dah-Dee

1 minute ago, NOLA2DC said:

No QB functions well with pressure in their face. That's why teams have hot reads and roll proctections. He did it against top-notch competition, and you're focused on the loss to Michigan.  The guy had several comeback wins, and you're talking about one game. That makes no sense. 

Agreed, and not to take away from this argument one way or another, but that man is a statue. He won’t have that kind of OL in the NFL and that scares me 

Just now, NOLA2DC said:

Again, during the season he rarely ever faced pressure because his OL was so dominant. Michigan was the first team to really get consistent pressure on him, and he couldn't handle it.

That's a red flag. He's on a stacked team with the best OL in the country and a top 5 draft pick level WR. He's consistently working with a really clean pocket and has weapons to go to. Then on the biggest stage in the biggest game he looks like crap because he faced a defensive front that was able to pressure him.

Add to that the fact that he's a 6th year senior who was utterly mediocre until he transferred to a school with a stacked team, and his crazy injury history, and I see a guy that might get picked up in the 2nd. But he could easily slip farther IMO.

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Again, during the season he rarely ever faced pressure because his OL was so dominant. Michigan was the first team to really get consistent pressure on him, and he couldn't handle it.

That's a red flag. He's on a stacked team with the best OL in the country and a top 5 draft pick level WR. He's consistently working with a really clean pocket and has weapons to go to. Then on the biggest stage in the biggest game he looks like crap because he faced a defensive front that was able to pressure him.

Add to that the fact that he's a 6th year senior who was utterly mediocre until he transferred to a school with a stacked team, and his crazy injury history, and I see a guy that might get picked up in the 2nd. But he could easily slip farther IMO.

So you're blaming him for being on a good team, right? He was at Indiana before Washington, right? Not necessarily the beast of the big 10.

What's up you and the age thing with QBs?It's not an age-dependent position like RB or WR. 

17 minutes ago, Acworth skins fan said:

Was he really? I don’t recall this, but I’m not a person who follows football like a lot of you folks. 

His Dad chimed in quite a bit when all the Kirk crap was going down.

8 minutes ago, NOLA2DC said:

So you're blaming him for being on a good team, right? He was at Indiana before Washington, right? Not necessarily the beast of the big 10.

What's up you and the age thing with QBs?It's not an age-dependent position like RB or WR. 

Yes, and when he was at Indiana he was utterly mediocre. I'm not "blaming" him for being on a stacked team but it absolutely has to be taken into account when evaluating him. Especially when you consider how crappy he looked when he faced a front that was finally able to get consistent pressure on him during a game.

You also have to consider the fact that he's mostly a statue. He ran for 8 yards last season. There's no chance he's going to be afforded the luxury of having an OL that dominant in the NFL, so how will he look when he's now not only in a game that's much faster, but one where he's getting pressured quite a bit as well?.

How anyone doesn't see all of that as a red flag is beyond me.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2

I still think there's a decent chance someone grabs Penix at the end of the first for the 5th year option.  If the Giants, for example, don't go JJ at 6, and miss out on JJ and Nix, they might pop up from 39 to grab him.

But simultaneously, I could easily see teams saying not worth trading up for him.  If he's good in the NFL, fair enough, you pay him a year earlier and save your draft capitol, and given the concerns about him, that might be the best play.  Odds of him being a long term NFL starter low enough that the 5th year option might not be worth the 3rd or whatever it would cost to go up and get him.

20 minutes ago, mh86 said:

Agreed, and not to take away from this argument one way or another, but that man is a statue. He won’t have that kind of OL in the NFL and that scares me 

I agree but we need remember guys like Peyton and Mariono were basically statues. I'm not saying he should be a high pick, but in the right situation, he could shine, and I think he has value as a late first-round guy with a team that's stacked already. 

Edited by NOLA2DC

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yes, and when he was at Indiana he was utterly mediocre. I'm not "blaming" him for being on a stacked team but it absolutely has to be taken into account when evaluating him. Especially when you consider how crappy he looked when he faced a front that was finally able to get consistent pressure on him during a game.

You also have to consider the fact that he's mostly a statue. He ran for 8 yards last season. There's no chance he's going to be afforded the luxury of having an OL that dominant in the NFL, so how will he look when he's now not only in a game that's much faster, but one where he's getting pressured quite a bit as well?.

How anyone doesn't see all of that as a red flag is beyond me.

I acknowledge the injury history. However, I think he has one of the best arms in the draft and he could do damage on the right team. Someone just posted the relatively few number of sacks he has compared to some of the top guys.

At a certain point it becomes a risk vs reward discussion. All I'm saying is that he has value and may surprise some people. 

It says he plans to only share his medicals with certain teams. How does that work? What if a team is thinking of trading up to #1 or exploring that as an option? They won't have his medicals or he won't let them see them?

I doubt he goes anywhere but the Bears but still, its a bit odd. 

• Like 1

Alright, I don't care about the nail or crying BS but this is extremely odd and seems unnecessary. Cut the nonsense out young man and consider getting a consultant that knows what they're doing. 

• Like 2

Okay.

So I'm not crazy when concerned with that.

And if its true the top 3 QBs are refusing to throw at this combine, cancel it after this or leave it jus for players that probabably do need it to get drafted (like later round players):

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/drake-maye-wont-throw-at-combine/

I don't think I care their exact speed if they look inconsistent or trash on tape, they all fast freaks of nature now compared to jus 10-20 years ago.

Certainly a better stance, imo, then calling all of them Premidonas if all three are agreeing not to do this, okay I'm listening.