Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

49 minutes ago, MartinC said:

This was inevitable - it’s actually in Sam’s best interest.

He is getting nothing but negative stuff playing right now. His confidence is shot, he’s not seeing the field, his footwork is all over the place and he’s rushing throws. 

I still think he can be a good QB. But it will take a new coaching staff time to build him back up and put him back together. That’s probably as a back up here in the short term because it’s almost inevitable we will be drafting a QB and doing a hard reset overall this coming offseason.

I wouldn’t worry about draft status -

this defense is not stopping the 49ers or Cowboys.

Sam has no long term future here. If we maintain a Top 5 pick, we are drafting a qb. Even if slip out of the top 5; we will still draft a qb. Not with the round 1 pick but probably spend a 2nd round pick on a qb, to compete with Sam for the job.

• Thumb down 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'm totally fine sitting Sam.  He's seeing ghosts. It's not good for him to play right now.

I am ok with just one game and he comes back against Dallas as was mentioned by others on this thread.  But I don't get the vibe that's whats going to happen.

Nothing will do more for Sam's confidence then.

A.  Benching him 2 games in a row while the backup basically showing him up with distinctly better play

B.  If the offense plays better with Brissett moving forward that should jolt his confidence up further.

C.  Ditto adding fuel to a narrative that I already see some with the national media this week -- that Sam is the worst QB in the NFL

D.  Making it a slam dunk narrative that this team is taking a QB high in this draft.

In his shoes, I'd want to at least have a shot to dig myself out of the hole.  And granted I am pessimistic that Sam could.  But this version of things is Ron throwing the dirt on Sam's NFL grave in the context of being a starter anytime soon.

From a personal standpoint, i was good with taking a QB high in this draft even when Sam was playing well.  I didn't expect things to be this bad where they would be in position to pick in the top 5 so i thought my take was moot.  But now that its not moot, and we are likely picking early, its a no brainer to me.

But if am looking at it purely from Sam's point of view, only if they play him next week do I see this as a positive. 

Otherwise to me its like telling a student who has been getting D's of late.  We don't trust you to take any more exams.  Lets shut it down to rebuild your confidence.   And look forward to reading all summer before your next school year that you are a bad student.  But heck I think you will come out of that experience feeling much much better.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Why is it a foregone conclusion that Brissett is going to come in and win games?  He was 4-7 with the Browns who had a much better roster than we have right now.  

I fully expect things to come back to earth with Brissett being named the actual starter and having to play 4 quarters.  

But, if Dallas has nothing to play for next weekend - why couldn’t Brissett beat them?  It would be the biggest FU, slap in the face to the fanbase and ownership from Ron.

• Like 4

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I fully expect things to come back to earth with Brissett being named the actual starter and having to play 4 quarters.  

But, if Dallas has nothing to play for next weekend - why couldn’t Brissett beat them?  It would be the biggest FU, slap in the face to the fanbase and ownership from Ron.

Dallas needs to win out for a home game in the playoffs, unless the Eagles drop one to a bum team.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

And shame on ownership if they allow that to happen. We are in a situation where EVERY loss this season equals better players/assets in the draft. 

2 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

SF will beat us regardless but I want to see Fromm week 18. And play all the backups, too. Tinsley at WR. Patterson at RB. Burgess at S and Castro-Fields at CB. Get Jabril Cox in at LB. Play Forbes every single snap and put him on CeeDee.

I totally see the Cowboys game as a disaster. We will screw it up and win. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Why couldn't Howell beat them?  

3 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

SF will beat us regardless but I want to see Fromm week 18. And play all the backups, too. Tinsley at WR. Patterson at RB. Burgess at S and Castro-Fields at CB. Get Jabril Cox in at LB. Play Forbes every single snap and put him on CeeDee.

Forbes on CD....that's just cruel. But I love it.

43 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Harris is in a tough spot:

1. He told Rivera he would give him the year.  That's clearly out in the ether. If he goes back on his word, that's not great for the recruiting period which is about to get underway.

2. If he tells Ron to start Sam or Fromm instead of Brissett, you KNOW Ron's going to get that out there.  Probably to that guy he's really close to who's name I can't remember.  They went to college together, he worked for the team for a period of time, he leaked some information to him....  Regardless, if Harris dictates to Ron, then he's a meddlesome owner.  Again, not a great look when you're trying to hire a GM and Coach.

3. The other players on the team probably all want Brissett to start, because they want to put good film on tape for themselves.  If the owner swoops in and overtly presses the "tank" button, that's not good for player relations, either with these players or others who might want to come here.

4.  I'm also pretty sure Harris/Shen, whoever, don't think it would be great to keep putting Howell out there to continue to struggle and get killed.  The other option is Fromm.  That's not going to go over that well.

I don't know that there is anything Harris could do at this point which doesn't fly in the face of his own interests.  

What they SHOULD do is IR everybody who has a booboo.  And EVERYBODY has a booboo.  McLaruin, Payne, Allen are the obvious ones. Curl should declare himself ineligible going into a FA year.  Frankly, so should Gibson.  

But whatever.  We have to trust the 49ers will beat us no matter what.  

And then we have to make the same ritual sacrifices to the football Gods against Dallas we did against the Jets.  

This x100.  We should’ve started Fromm for the last two games, and sat guys like Terry, Dotson, Allen & Payne.  I don’t want ANY chance to fluke our way to a meaningless victory these last two games.  I think Harris should’ve fired Ron after Sunday to be honest with you.  Once Rivera benched Howell twice for Brissett, he lost any sensible reasoning to continue on as coach.  I definitely think that you have to fire Rivera before the final game, to stop him from potentially screwing up our draft positioning.  It’s organizational malpractice to let Rivera continue to coach to win games, and screw up our future.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Exactly it feels fitting.  Hopefully us fans win and Ron loses at the end.

If we see them beat Dallas with a smug Ron talking up how big of a win it is and how the future is bright -- I'll gag. 

I'm going to be so ****ing pissed if Ron screws up our draft position because of this move.  Harris is truly in a tough spot as a new owner.....as he virtually has no logical choice but to go along with it.  Firing Ron now or stepping in on any way will make him look like a meddling owner.   This absolutely sucks donkey balls.  

• Like 4

Just now, srtman04 said:

I'm going to be so ****ing pissed if Ron screws up our draft position because of this move.  Harris is truly in a tough spot as a new owner.....as he virtually has no logical choice but to go along with it.  Firing Ron now or stepping in on any way will make him look like a meddling owner.   This absolutely sucks donkey balls.  

I'm totally with you. I'm already preparing myself for the Dallas win now so I won't blow a gasket after it happens.

We all know how this is going to play out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

I'm totally fine if Harris meddles just this one time

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

He did last year in similar circumstances.

And I'm saying he could do it again this year.  If Dallas is actually playing for nothing (and not playing Dak most of the game would be a good indicator), then why would starting Howell in this game change anything?  He could just as well win it as could Brissett.

Just now, spjunkies said:

I'm totally with you. I'm already preparing myself for the Dallas win now so I won't blow a gasket after it happens.

We all know how this is going to play out.

Dan sold and some of us never thought that would happen.  So maybe the karma for us fans is changing.

Ron isn't a bad person like Dan.  But he also is a walking talking example of why this team hasn't won in decades.  So hopefully we prevail and Ron loses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

And shame on ownership if they allow that to happen. We are in a situation where EVERY loss this season equals better players/assets in the draft. 

You're speaking like a fan. I get it but at the end of the day, RR is paid to win games, not get us a higher draft position.`I guarantee you, Ron doesn't give a rats ass about next years draft. Get a competent GM and the draft will work out.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Why is it a foregone conclusion that Brissett is going to come in and win games?  He was 4-7 with the Browns who had a much better roster than we have right now.  

He might not win the game but you have to give the team the best option to win games.  Why on earth would we continue to run Sam out there and watch him struggle.  No chance we are letting Chase Young come in here and have a field day either.

Jacoby runs the offense more efficiently that Sam.  I guarantee the players are behind this decision as well.

The entire QB plan was beyond idiotic. I didn’t want to dislike Ron Rivera but he’s easily going to end up in the Zorn/Spurrier zone for me. The only reason why he’s not a league wide joke is because he lucked into Cam Newton and once worked for Andy Reid. He’s a nice man. He’s an awful, incompetent coach. Maybe it was the awful disease he suffered through but either way, he’s really really bad and was a disastrous hire. He had no hand in getting Dan out so the culture excuse doesn’t hold as much weight for me. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

It’s far from a foregone conclusion. But he gives us better QB play than Sam right now and a better chance to win. But this D is playing so badly that I don’t think that will matter against two very good offenses.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

25 minutes ago, Dexter said:

He might not win the game but you have to give the team the best option to win games.  Why on earth would we continue to run Sam out there and watch him struggle.  No chance we are letting Chase Young come in here and have a field day either.

Jacoby runs the offense more efficiently that Sam.  I guarantee the players are behind this decision as well.

FWIW Chase Young doesn't have field days. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2