Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Death of a Fanbase

BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

Remember back in 2016 when renderings for a potential new stadium were revealed and everyone was making fun of the moat?  Good times.

They really need to get out of FedEx before 2026, but I don't see it happening. I think Dan still has his heart set on the RFK site, but that place isn't even going to come down until next year. I can't see a new stadium opening until 2026 at the earliest.

And I know attendance is piss poor right now and the team has been bottom five in the league record-wise during Snyder's ownership, but somehow enough people will probably pony up for PSLs.  Doesn't just about every stadium that has opened in the past 20 years have them?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, profusion said:

Yep, I can't imagine more than a few people being willing to pay that so long as Snyder owns the team.

I suppose this raises the question of whether Snyder is willing to move the team someplace dumb enough to pay for his stadium. Since the team doesn't even have a name right now and basically zero local support, it's almost a blank slate akin to an expansion team.

That's a very astute idea.  I wonder if the NFL would be open to that.  The problem is, would the governor of the target state call up the national guard and prevent it?  Hmmm, maybe move the team to London?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, profusion said:

21st Century SB-winning QBs picked 15th or below:

Tom Brady

Patrick Mahomes

Aaron Rodgers

Russell Wilson

Ben Roethlisberger

Joe Flacco*

Nick Foles*

That represents most of the QBs who won SBs in this century.

I put an asterisk behind the last two because they're sort of accidental winners.

There's no single formula, but typically these organizations put a rookie into a good situation by fielding a good team around him. A couple of these guys spent their rookie seasons on the bench because their teams didn't need them to start right away. That rarely happens with teams bad enough to pick in the top 10. It's mostly the perennial losers.

Those days of finding QB's or even having the chance at one have been over for years now..Every QB is being over drafted just because so many teams need one..So again you ain't getting a chance at one if you continue to pick outside the top ten.

1 minute ago, profusion said:

Yep, I can't imagine more than a few people being willing to pay that so long as Snyder owns the team.

I suppose this raises the question of whether Snyder is willing to move the team someplace dumb enough to pay for his stadium. Since the team doesn't even have a name right now and basically zero local support, it's almost a blank slate akin to an expansion team.

Snyder loves being on the Forbes list of most valuable franchises. That’s tied to the history of the team in the DMV. He’s not moving the team. It would not be to his benefit. He gets his cut if the massive shared revenues and plays in still the most popular division when it comes to tv ratings. He can be completely incompetent and still make money. He needs to sell to Bezos for a premium and exit stage left. That’s the best case scenario. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Snyder loves being on the Forbes list of most valuable franchises. That’s tied to the history of the team in the DMV. He’s not moving the team. It would not be to his benefit. He gets his cut if the massive shared revenues and plays in still the most popular division when it comes to tv ratings. He can be completely incompetent and still make money. He needs to sell to Bezos for a premium and exit stage left. That’s the best case scenario. 

Rumor is bezos is getting Denver 

4 minutes ago, bh32 said:

Those days of finding QB's or even having the chance at one have been over for years now..Every QB is being over drafted just because so many teams need one..So again you ain't getting a chance at one if you continue to pick outside the top ten.

Mahomes was only drafted in 2017. I was wrong, though, in that he was the 10th pick that year. Still not in the very top. Despite all that overdrafting, the guys getting the rings keep not being the guys being overhyped into the Top 5 picks.

i'm being somewhat of a devil's advocate here. The WFT clearly needs to draft a franchise QB in order to succeed. The history just shows that drafting a QB doesn't magically turn things around. If the team isn't well-stocked and well-run, those Top 5 picks get destroyed on the field before they ever get a chance to shine.

9 minutes ago, profusion said:

Even if he wanted, I can’t see enough owners permitting a move, especially the NFC East owners. Among other factors, I think the league will always want a team in the nations capital, and the rivalries have too much history. 

Being a fan of this organization since the mid to late-70's, i've seen it all.

The good.

The bad.

The ugly.

Since Snyder got his evil little hands on this organization it has gone downhill, with a few blips of life here and there; just enough to not " pull the plug '. 

Chasing high profile toys, high profile { yet worthless staff }, only to bring in the dollars by tempting loyal fans, has cost this entire fan base alot of grief and disappointment.

Gone are the winning days and winning ways, of finding a man like Joe Gibbs, who had a vision, something new, different, and also got the full support and backing from the ones he wanted on his team. An owner who stood back and let the GM and HC do their jobs, just stood back and wrote the checks; boy do I miss Jack Kent Cooke. 

Times have changed, for the worse. " Change is good " shouts some in the younger generation who have no earthly idea of reality. Well, they got their change, got what they wanted, and the old stalworths caved to the demands of a few. Ownership collapsed like a house built from straw, and chose to maximize their investment by making as much money as possible while producing the least costly products available. 

Traditions were a great part of this organization, but it is all gone now, while those who sought social justice are off to destroy somewhere else. 

Change is good? Just be careful what you wish for, you just might get it, a well-known bit spoken long ago. 

There is more to life than making a buck...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

He's in a catch 22.  I don't think he could survive riding it out at Fedex.  Agree that PSLs are a problem too but I'd take a chance in his shoes.  I recall in NY the talk was of it being a disaster but they survived it.  They did it in Atlanta, Vegas, etc.  They say its going down that way for Buffalo's new stadium when its landed, etc.

2 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Even if he wanted, I can’t see enough owners permitting a move, especially the NFC East owners. Among other factors, I think the league will always want a team in the nations capital, and the rivalries have too much history. 

I'm sure you're right.

However, if the league can't force Dan to sell and won't allow him to move, are they (and by "they" I mean the powerbrokers like Jerry and Mara) willing to allow the status quo for decades to come?

We are absolutely talking about the bottom line, here. The DMV is one of the top 5 wealthiest metro areas in the country, and the league can ill afford for the TV ratings and other metrics of engagement from this region remain in the toilet for decades.

I can, however, see Dan thinking he needs to stay here to maximize his own revenue. I wonder, though, if his mindset changes once he gets shot down by every jurisdiction here.

I said a few years ago that DC is a dead football city. I mean I've been a fan since 79, but from Philly, but since I've been watching they've added 3 teams to the area and they win games. Snyder sucks for sure, but so does Bezos and nobody cares. The bills were a bad team forever and are really supported. Lions have never been good. Ever. Detroit is one of our most **** on cities and the lions have fans. The ****ing cardinals wherever they are have fans. DC is a dead football city. Bull**** keeps coming from WFT. We don't even have a name anymore. Htf did you not see the name change coming at all? 

This franchise could be the first team outside the USA.

I'm hoping for PR selfishly. Could keep the Indian them too.

• Thanks 1

The name change is a thread unto itself, but I think it signifies so much about this team. It's half-baked.

Name change: Half done. Culture change: Half done, maybe less considering the DEA raid. New stadium that we've been dangled since Bruce first joined the team: They can't even get a city to give them a second thought lol. Ingame performance? Who even knows. We got in on a 7-9 record. We somehow managed to make one of the most respected players in the league simultaneously get Comeback Player of the Year but also call out the team for feeling like he was never wanted. Our defense is playing ****y but pretending it's elite.

This is a Frankenstein team desperately pretending to be normal. It's trying to be cool and "with it", but still mired in exactly the same problems we've had for a decade.

I want to believe in Rivera. I want to believe in Jason Wright. I did last season. I did this offseason. I don't right now. I don't have anything to trust in this team. I don't even have a name to call this team by.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

The name change is a thread unto itself, but I think it signifies so much about this team. It's half-baked.

Name change: Half done. Culture change: Half done, maybe less considering the DEA raid. New stadium that we've been dangled since Bruce first joined the team: They can't even get a city to give them a second thought lol. Ingame performance? Who even knows. We got in on a 7-9 record. We somehow managed to make one of the most respected players in the league simultaneously get Comeback Player of the Year but also call out the team for feeling like he was never wanted. Our defense is playing ****y but pretending it's elite.

This is a Frankenstein team desperately pretending to be normal. It is simultaneously trying to be cool and "with it", but still mired in exactly the same problems we've had for a decade.

I want to believe in Rivera. I want to believe in Jason Wright. I did last season. I did this offseason. I don't right now.

You summed it all up for me. Spot on. 

• Like 1

I wonder if Ron is done. He had an incredible year for us last year changing our entire FO structure and he crushed that. Not normal for a coach to have to be a part of that. He admitted it was really hard and brought a second GM in. Did that while fighting ****ing cancer. You've gotta be tired, then your prize rookie blows off camp for endorsements. Now the emails and drug trade. It never ends. JDR looked pretty unhappy with him last week from that TO call.

I dont know but Ron took on a heroic task and succeeded. Maybe that was it. 

2 minutes ago, carex said:

what is wrong with people that you're actively looking for a new team to root for that the current one's presence prevents you from doing it

My favorite Sunday enjoying watching football on Sunday this year, we played Thursday. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

My favorite Sunday enjoying watching football on Sunday this year, we played Thursday. 

then root for a different team.  People on this thread are talking about the NFL giving us a replacement team to root for if the team moves.  Why wait for the NFL?\

Move on and let whatever homers are left have this place

I wonder what the fans of the late 40s through the mid-60s under George Preston Marshal would think of the modern fanbase under Daniel Snyder.

Edited by carex

I can’t really root for another team so I always end up just not watching football. You would be amazed all the things you can get accomplished with a whole day of the week back. 

Im not there yet this season. But I expect it won’t be long judging by the schedule. 

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I dont know but Ron took on a heroic task and succeeded. Maybe that was it. 

I worry that if he retires we go right back to where we were in about a year or two. Hell I worry that happens if he stays to be honest. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1