Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Washington vs Ain’ts Drew Brees

TK
Message added by TK,

Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 4.17.58 PM.png

Just now, Wildbunny said:

Sorry, but that Hail MAry is on the players and nobody else.

Everyone knows it's coming, and not one of our guys jumps for the ball.

Not even one of them look for the ball when the Saints are looking at it.

Players have to play. If they don't want to, you have to bump them out.

no—the players were in the wrong defense entirely. That is on the coaches and we had timeouts. They should not be running back with the wide outs on an obvious Hail Mary. They should be back there already ready to jump and looking forward at the ball. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So from what you saw Lattimore struggled?

I know is wasn’t meant for me but my take wasn’t that Lattimore struggled so much as it was two really good players competing all day long.  Heineke was a handicap for Terry in that match today though, making it look more one sided for Lattimore.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, skins4eva said:

im not going to tell you not to blame the guy. Blame him all you want. But my view is that he’s the best QB we’ve had playing the position in a long time. It’s an incredibly low bar but that’s a different story. 

That doesn't protect him from reality.  I dont think we can replace him this year, but he's going up down a lot.  Thank God he's under contract for next year and we don't have to figure what to pay him now.

Todays final thoughts:

This secondary is the worst secondary I can remember in Skins history. Even in our worst years it was never this bad.

Heinicke is not the answer at QB. This was the best defense he faced this season and he failed miserably. Love him as a backup though. 

DeAndre Carter is a frikin baller and needs to get more touches on offense. His speed is incredible. 

Payne is the best player on this defense right now. He is killing it. We have to extend him. 

Seals-Jones is a capable player in both the receiving and blocking game. 

Special Teams took a step back today. But it's going to happen sometimes.

Charles stepped in and played pretty well today. 

Thats all I got. This isnt a good football team right now. Not even close. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skins4eva said:

no—the players were in the wrong defense entirely. That is on the coaches and we had timeouts. They should not be running back with the wide outs on an obvious Hail Mary. They should be back there already ready to jump and looking forward at the ball. 

Rivera said in the presser that they expected a dump off hook and ladder or a quick out.

But the players not even jumping for the ball is just inexcusable regardless of the play called.

• Like 1

Three of our biggest free agent signings the last few years - Collins, Jackson, and Samuel - have been complete busts.  I'm sure there are others that I am forgetting.  What does that say about the front office?  That they are horrible at identifying talent.  I will give Samuel a slight pass since he has been battling injuries, but nonetheless I think conditioning is a part of being a good athlete.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

That doesn't protect him from reality.  I dont think we can replace him this year, but he's going up down a lot.  Thank God he's under contract for next year and we don't have to figure what to pay him now.

I view him as essentially a rookie who can learn and get better. He’s not a finished product. 

• Like 1

disappointing game.  We needed this.  Heinike maybe wasn't great but he was playing without three of his top five WRs and his top TE.  Plus their punter pinning us inside the three three times?  Especially since we played scared back there.  We'd have been better off taking the intentional safety and free kicking on at least two of those

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

How many of Terry’s longer catches this season didn’t involve him having to come back for the ball? I doubt any. Like I said, virtually no receiver is going to thrive against a guy like Lattimore if the throws are that slow. 

There are some people that will defend Heinicke no matter what happens and get upset when he's challanged.   I am not one of those people.  It's cool, to each their own on that front.  But for me, heck if I could have a dollar for every time I've said can you be a really good QB with that kind of arm strength?  And I talked about his tendency to throw picks as far back as when I watched them in training camp.  I like aspects of his game and I enjoy watching him.   Cool guy.  Cool story.  I try to be upbeat about him.   But there is a reason why i almost exclusively post about college QBs right now in the draft thread.  I am not sold Heinicke is the guy but I'll give him some rope to play out the sample before landing hard on an opinion. 

I agree with the general sentiment of your post.  It's easier to make contested catches with a QB who gets the ball there faster.  But I've seen Terry make play after play when the ball was in the air and a defender was draped on him.  Today just wasn't one of those days.  If the argument is Terry would play better with a top 10 type QB -- no doubt.   I see Terry as a top 10 WR.  My opinion hasn't changed after today even a whit about Terry.  I actually am looking forward to see Terry come back next week, playing a bit angry.   He's a baller.  Best player IMO on the team. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

It's amazing how this team fails to improve every year.  I guess you could say we improved a bit last year, but then we immediately take three steps back.

Fitzpatrick going out the first game hurt a lot.  Samuel being injured constantly also hurts.  Coaching is horrible, defense is horrible.  This franchise is the definition of bleak.

We never really fill the biggest needs. Just secondary and tertiary ones. QB? Mediocre job of filling the need. Fitz is a proven NFL journeyman. Plus Heinicke. But neither address the major issue. 

Linebacker? Went and got Jamin. Which was cool. Then stuck with Bostic and Holcomb and did nothing else. No bueno.

Free safety? Bobby McCain. Who I had hoped would be okay but… let’s face it we all knew wasn’t a field general. 

Year after year we have the same glaring needs. Year after year we fail to adequately address them. Year after year we have poor results.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NewCliche21 said:

Rivera said in the presser that they expected a dump off hook and ladder or a quick out.

But the players not even jumping for the ball is just inexcusable regardless of the play called.

Well, that tells you all you need to know about this staff. Let them run a hook and ladder. Who cares?  But not having guys deep and ready foe the Hail Mary is coaching malpractice. You know Winston can sling it to the endzone from there. Nothing about that defensive play call made any sense. It’ll illustrated how awful these guys are. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Sorry, but that Hail MAry is on the players and nobody else.

Everyone knows it's coming, and not one of our guys jumps for the ball.

Not even one of them look for the ball when the Saints are looking at it.

Players have to play. If they don't want to, you have to bump them out.

It's on the coaches before that, when they decided running the ball 3 times in a row to conservatively chew the clock down was a good decision. You go score points when you have 2 minutes and timeouts, I don't care where you are on the field.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

But my view is that he’s the best QB we’ve had playing the position in a long time.

Y’all kill me with this.

Both Kirk and Alex called, and want to know what the hell you’re watching.

Heineke is more likable cuz he has a cool underdog story and he’s a competitor.  But by no means is he even remotely close to better than either of those guys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Looking back at the offseason, it looks like the FO added two bad guys in Jackson and McCain to a secondary that already had Landon Collins and made it significantly worse.  They need to play some of the younger guys and see what they have over the course of what's going to be a long 2021 season.

Which younger guys do they have? Forrest? 

I was at the game, first game in 5 years.  I couldn't believe how many Saints fans were there, at least 35 percent.  Probably the world home field advantage in the league.  Heinicke is not the answer, he cannot spread the field with his arm strength.  Defense looks unmotivated.  I blame this on coaches.  Overall, we are not close.  Might as well start the rebuild, again...  

6 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Updating my list of new team names.

Let's it hear if for your Washington:

Disappoinments

Bums

Goof Ups

i'm personally leaning towards the " Blowers "...

Maybe the Doorknobs?  Because everybody gets a turn ? 

Or the " Can't Get Rights ".

Everything is in a name, so I guess Riverboat Rivera is taking on alot of water and Del Rio showing his defense has gone south...again.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I know is wasn’t meant for me but my take wasn’t that altimeter struggled so much as it was two really good players competing all day long.  Heineke was a handicap for Terry in that match today though, making it look more one sided for Lattimore.

If the point is Terry fought hard and earned those 4 catches for 46 yards.  I am with you.  I don't think Terry played poorly.    To beat this team, if you can keep Terry under 50 yards, you've done your job and IMO Lattimore did his job today against Terry. 

As for Heinicke, i get the point.  The way I see it is as to his floating passes, that's just who he is.  it wasn't unique for today so I don't think its hard to do apples to apples comparisons from one game to another.  Since its the same Qb.

Edited by Skinsinparadise