Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

3 hours ago, DWinzit said:

I expect the D to be top 3-5 and killing it with pressures, sacks, forced fumbles, balls knocked down, balls defended and their fair share of INT's and fumble recoveries. The better they are and if the offense can produce more points as they should, the more mistakes will be forced upon our competitors. 

I think our D ranking is tied to offense effectiveness.  It will come down to leads EB and Howell via our shiny new offense creates that allows JDR to take more risks. Ironically in a blowout is when you get mega zone prevent so think its more first half leads that will make a difference.

Howell is opening up the fantasy worlds eyes some but TMC getting injured was a kick in the coconuts. We all know, repeated 3 and outs by our offense will expose our defense but then that is when my philosophy kicks in, JDR must aggressively go for 3 and outs himself. Don't slow the game down and tire out his own defense knowing we cannot score. Try and get the ball back aggressively, if even for a series.

Edit: If our offense cannot score, making them stand on the sidelines for 15 minutes watching our D milk the clock will not magically make them more likely to score. I think they go ICE COLD demoralized, and are then less likely to score. The kicker? The offense will feel pressured to also milk the clock to rest the defense, vs attack the defense.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I want this defense to have opportunities to play with 4th quarter leads instead of constantly having to keep the game close to give the offense a chance. 

AMEN! same with always playing prevent if they have the lead. Cause mistakes, BLITZ. And don't have the offense let off the gas if they were to have a 10 point lead for goodness sake! 

Edited by DWinzit
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

IMO the defense is going to likely be worse than it was last year. Aside from having to face Rodgers last year in a down year there was only Cousins as better than average QB's vs non divisional teams. They got Goff and Lawrence at the beginning of the year last year, that helped.

Last year they held the AFCS to 10,17,16,21 points. They held the NFCN to 36,7,21,20. Add that all up and it's under 20 a game. That **** isn't happening vs the AFCE and the NFCW. They might hold the Cardinals down to under 20 but who else? Maybe the Patriots or Rams but I doubt both. 

This year they get the NFCW and the AFCE vs some great QB's. Also, those low scoring games vs the Giants probably will be different this year considering their upgrades and I'd bet that the don't hold Dallas to 31 total points over the 2 games. Philly and Dallas are going to be putting up a lot of points. Luckily, they once again get to end the season vs Dallas in a game they might not need to win so that helps but I see this defense giving up a lot more points.

They should start strong though with Az and Denver getting new offenses. You can say that you don't play the schedule game, but nobody is going to say that last year's NFCN and AFCS are anything close to the 2 divisions they get this year. That is just not reality. 

Chicago and Atlanta are both probably better offensively than last year as well. Will they hold those 2 teams to 13 and 7 points again? I seriously doubt it!

Oh, and Payne got paid. Lets see how he does after cashing that fat check, lol. Chase might have a big year though, and they are going to need him to, IMO. 

• Like 1

Interesting perspective approach. I like it.

The thing that really stands out to me is our LB... situation. I had heard 2 years ago that LBs were often the focal point of an OCs game plan. Heavily targeted - league wide. So, we are basically as close to a zero LB than I can ever recall. 515? So, OCs can't as easily target LB since we only have 1 out there and they are NOT being used traditionally. Anyone have stats for the 515 when its been deployed? Maybe in a few more years advanced stats will cover that. Is it equally built to stop run pass, or more likely IMO to stop the pass?

Two concerns. 1 - Blitzing. I love the idea of a badass LB blitzing. Especially facing thik ass QBs like Hurtz. Color me doubtful that our DBs can consistently get him down on a blitz. 2 - Run D. A team rolling 1LB early and often - I am running the ball vs passing at 5 DBs. I have not been impressed with our run D this preseason but haven't noticed if we were 515 or what. Week 1 I am predicting 150 and 2TDs for Connor.

Final thought on LB's. If they suck in pass pro? Stop expecting them to excel... blitz them instead.

I fully expect that we are going to see game day TV lineups showing us in a 4-3.

Edited by RandyHolt

Colt McCoy cut by Arizona.   They say they don’t know who will start yet.   Still a competition.   Lol.  Defense is going to feast.  

*it will still probably be a 1 point game deep into the 4th.  Lol

Edited by Idaho fan

1 hour ago, Idaho fan said:

Colt McCoy cut by Arizona.   They say they don’t know who will start yet.   Still a competition.   Lol.  Defense is going to feast.  

*it will still probably be a 1 point game deep into the 4th.  Lol

And here I thought we WERE going to feast on Slim Shady Colt McCoy.

Vegas still has us as the lowest point total for the week at 39.  -7 implies the score should be 23-16.

Will JDR lay back and wait for their unknown QB to make a mistake, or attack him from the first drive on and show him no respect?  I predict JDR lays back and slow plays of course meanwhile I want to attack him and make him beat the most pressure we can put on him.  If JDR is coaching scared of their no name QB you'll hear me in the GDT.  No respect!

Edited by RandyHolt

Arizona is going to be a put your money where your mouth is moment for JDR. It's absolutely THE perfect scenario to see if he is doing more than stress to players the importance of turnovers.

Week 1 at home vs the projected league cellar dweller, who now 2 weeks before the season doubles down and ditches their starter, AND doesn't even know who the starter is??? It's laughable - a dream scenario to walk out of there with 3 turnovers if not more. Of course I have been boldly predicting JDR is NOT going to do a damn thing to generate more turnovers besides stressing to players they are important and to focus on them. It should be easy to see if i am right. Sure on the back end JDR and ALL defenses mix up coverages to confuse QBs etc so we can't read into that, but we CAN see if he attacks the QB early and often, or lets him sit in a comfortable pocket all day hoping for unforced mistakes, while our offense stands hands on hips watching most of the first half.

It's an almost unprecedented tank job for the overall pick before the season starts by Arizona and they are laying down the carpet for us to destroy them.  If JDR plays soft week 1 and we lose I am totally fine to see him fired after the game. Ron too for that matter.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I want this defense to have opportunities to play with 4th quarter leads instead of constantly having to keep the game close to give the offense a chance. 

Agreed.

But...if this is to happen, then the defense needs to do its part, too.  That includes showing up from the opening drive.  The other team almost always scores on their first possession, putting us behind.  The defense also needs to finally be consistent in the turnover category.  Great defenses get and force turnovers.  This defense has not done that as of yet.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Redwards said:

Agreed.

But...if this is to happen, then the defense needs to do its part, too.  That includes showing up from the opening drive.  The other team almost always scores on their first possession, putting us behind.  The defense also needs to finally be consistent in the turnover category.  Great defenses get and force turnovers.  This defense has not done that as of yet.

The team as a whole has the "starts slow" stigma that we need to finally shake off. Fingers crossed for (truly) a new era in Washington.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

It's an almost unprecedented tank job for the overall pick before the season starts by Arizona and they are laying down the carpet for us to destroy them.  If JDR plays soft week 1 and we lose I am totally fine to see him fired after the game. Ron too for that matter.

23-17.

JDR better consider this season an audition. I kind of suspect the writing is on the wall for Ron heck maybe he even retires but JDR should be cranking up his defense for week 1 because he could certainly survive another year. There are suddenly OUR fans showing up more will be watching and thus expectations quickly got raised once we ditched the wicked NFL owner of the least.

It will be a disaster for the team, Harris, us fans, the movement to have a defense filled with top picks and experienced coaches fall victim to the lowly lowly Cardinals with the world watching the new us. Pitch a shutout for Harris. Make it happen.

image.gif.c2718864bf78e99d092e06c86b9ad9f5.gif

Allen arguably our best player slowed with Plantar fasciitis (tissue death) Fuuuuudge big Phil on IR - I am thinking WWE Champion Ridgeway is going to be a big player in our inside rotation.

Time for more man up body slams - goggles do nothing looking for a gif

image.thumb.jpeg.4666cce9ce03772a522cf3866fc3da19.jpeg

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Thumb up 1

25 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm not holding my breath for Mathis.

Mathis did not seem to have injury concerns at Alabama, played 2018 11 games, 2019 11,  2020 10,  2021 14. Shame that he is having those concerns since joining the team.

• Thumb up 1

30 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We really need Cosmi and Mathis to stay healthy and prove their 2nd round worth, we all know they have the talent.

Moving into the new ownership era I expect this terrible 2nd track record to change into a major contribution pool. Second rounders are are just way too important not to expect big production for them. I hated the Cravens and Anderson picks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Oh it gets WAY WORSE than just that stretch. Our history with 2nd rounders is abysmal under the Dan Snyder era.

2015 - Preston Smith (Hit)

2014 - Trent Murphy (Hit)

2013 - David Amerson (Bust)

2012 - No pick

2011 - Jarvis Jenkins (Bust)

2010 - No pick

2009 - No pick

2008 - Devin Thomas (Bust), Malcolm Kelly (Bust), Fred Davis (Bust)

2007 - No pick

2006 - Rocky McIntosh (Hit)

2005 - No pick

2004 - No pick

2003 - Taylor Jacobs (Bust)

2002 - Ladell Betts (Bust)

2001 - Fred Smoot (Hit)

2000 - No pick

1999 - Jon Jansen (Hit)

I view the "No Picks" as a negative. "Hit" is simply were they a consistent starter for multiple years. I'm probably going to get some flak for the Betts (Bust) label, but whatever. It's too early to tell with the recent second rounders, but if we go through 2020 that's 22 years of possible 2nd rounders. We've had only 5 starting caliber 2nd rounders in 22 years. That's brutally low.

I think Cosmi will be a hit and Mathis a bust from this methodology. But Mathis is kind of in the Ladell Betts situation with pro-bowl talents ahead of them. I still doubt a little that Mathis will do enough to carve out a large snap share from the pro bowl talents.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Chris 44 said:

Mathis did not seem to have injury concerns at Alabama, played 2018 11 games, 2019 11,  2020 10,  2021 14. Shame that he is having those concerns since joining the team.

Not saying it’s directly related but those Alabama guys get beat to hell playing and practicing there, and many of them have injury-laden NFL careers afterwards. You have to consider Alabama players as having lots of tread worn off their tires—the upside being that they are normally more developed and NFL ready, physically. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Conn said:

Not saying it’s directly related but those Alabama guys get beat to hell playing and practicing there, and many of them have injury-laden NFL careers afterwards. You have to consider Alabama players as having lots of tread worn off their tires—the upside being that they are normally more developed and NFL ready, physically. 

On the flip side I don't think Payne has missed a game in years.

Injuries are largely luck outside of guys who just have bad genetics.

8 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Oh it gets WAY WORSE than just that stretch. Our history with 2nd rounders is abysmal under the Dan Snyder era.

2015 - Preston Smith (Hit)

2014 - Trent Murphy (Hit)

2013 - David Amerson (Bust)

2012 - No pick

2011 - Jarvis Jenkins (Bust)

2010 - No pick

2009 - No pick

2008 - Devin Thomas (Bust), Malcolm Kelly (Bust), Fred Davis (Bust)

2007 - No pick

2006 - Rocky McIntosh (Hit)

2005 - No pick

2004 - No pick

2003 - Taylor Jacobs (Bust)

2002 - Ladell Betts (Bust)

2001 - Fred Smoot (Hit)

2000 - No pick

1999 - Jon Jansen (Hit)

I view the "No Picks" as a negative. "Hit" is simply were they a consistent starter for multiple years. I'm probably going to get some flak for the Betts (Bust) label, but whatever. It's too early to tell with the recent second rounders, but if we go through 2020 that's 22 years of possible 2nd rounders. We've had only 5 starting caliber 2nd rounders in 22 years. That's brutally low.

I think Cosmi will be a hit and Mathis a bust from this methodology. But Mathis is kind of in the Ladell Betts situation with pro-bowl talents ahead of them. I still doubt a little that Mathis will do enough to carve out a large snap share from the pro bowl talents.

They gave Betts a healthy second contract

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Man that 08 draft still triggers me and is one of my biggest examples of why I dislike the constant trade down talk come draft time. There is no use compiling all these later picks if you draft a bunch of tomato cans. With that said, imagine if instead we had taken Desean Jackson and Jordy Nelson....

Also, in what universe is Ladell Betts a bust but Rocky McIntosh a hit? 

Edited by Warhead36
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 3

8 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Man that 08 draft still triggers me and is one of my biggest examples of why I dislike the constant trade down talk come draft time. There is no use compiling all these later picks if you draft a bunch of tomato cans. With that said, imagine if instead we had taken Desean Jackson and Jordy Nelson....

Also, in what universe is Ladell Betts a bust but Rocky McIntosh a hit? 

While the that trade down did suck, our most recent trade down may have set us up for a decade.

• Thumb up 1