Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

1 hour ago, oraphus said:

I dont get this fear with losing Fuller, the guy is a below average corner at this stage.. and was nothing special to begin with. It doesn't make sense to cut him because rookie corners are completely unproven but at his current contract its a bad deal. If fuller is force to play outside again... we are in trouble. 

He's definitely not below average. I'm not saying he's Champ Bailey or anything but he's a solid CB who is still fairly young.

I don't get the rush to cut him. Behind him is Forbes who we just drafted and St. Juste who in two years is already showing a tendency to get hurt. Behind them is just a bunch of super young inexperienced relative nobodies.

The only justification I see is that we need his money to pay someone else, but when you're not paying a QB there really is no excuse to not pay other guys.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Left alone? You realize those plays happen fast and the rest of the D has to rally over, right? The hybrid and the corner are the first two there. Sometimes the receiver will be assigned to kick out the CB, sometimes they block down to the backer level and the OL head straight for the corners.

No doubt.

Can careless how much the db weighs in these situations. This represents a win for the offense if they scheme a big on a small. Am I wrong (willing to be educated if you got the chops to do so :)). At best the db finds a unique angle and knifes through to disrupt or occupies a blocker. 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

There are downsides to that, too. See: Kentucky vs. Forbes film. Also see: OL not moving well enough.

But it’s part of the push and pull of football. 

Yup, football IQ for the DB in these situations over 15 more pounds of weight. From all that I can see, I think he will exce in areas most appeared worried— If comparing to his fellow db peers. His play recognition appears to have a ceiling of elite. 

Edited by wit33

3 minutes ago, wit33 said:

No doubt.

Can careless how much the db weighs in these situations. This represents a win for the offense of the scheme a big guy on a small guy. Am I wrong (willing to be educated if you got the chops to do so :)). At best the db finds a unique angle and knifes through to disrupt or occupies a blocker. 

Yup, football IQ for the DB in these situations over 15 more pounds of weight. From all that I can see, I think he will exce in areas most appeared worried— If comparing to his fellow db peers. His play recognition appears to have a ceiling of elite. 

I am always concerned with big on small situations in football and how to minimize them. But I don't think it's going to be some wild every play concern with Forbes. 

40 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I am always concerned with big on small situations in football and how to minimize them. But I don't think it's going to be some wild every play concern with Forbes. 

Darrell Green comes to mind...184 lbs. Should be able to put on 20lbs of muscle in 3 months..

Edited by The Hangman- C_Hanburger
more

4 minutes ago, redskinsfanatic63 said:

defense has to improve on 3rd down this year above all  cause they stunk on 3rd down last season

So, the best rated team in the NFL on third downs stinks? Now, we were middle of the pack on 4th downs.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Darrell Green comes to mind...184 lbs. Should be able to put on 20lbs of muscle in 3 months..

Darrell Green was 5'9" and faster than a speeding bullet.  The force he hit with at 184# was pretty substantial.  Excellent tackling technique too.  Watch highlights of him catching guys from behind.

• Like 1

Saw on GMF that Mark McMillian was 5'7 and weighed 154. Had an eight year career with 23 INTs.  

Forbes sure is leaner but also ran a 4.35 forty.  Smoot said when he was drafted he only weight 170.  

Lets see what the kid does on the field before we condemn him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Darrell Green comes to mind...184 lbs.

They make them much bigger, stronger, and faster since Green played. Green was also stockier with a higher BMI for his height. He was like 4” shorter than Forbes is. 

2 hours ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Should be able to put on 20lbs of muscle in 3 months.

This is a crazy thing to say lol

note: I don’t worry about Forbes’ size to any unusual degree, just had to address these comments 

Edited by Conn

With all the talk about this defensive line and “adding more weight” to Forbes or should we have taken Quan in the second round… Could this be an elite secondary? Not a really good secondary but an “elite” secondary?

Ik the DL’s play a part but IMO we have the potential to be “elite” in the secondary. Takeaways! Thoughts?

36 minutes ago, NYSkins21 said:

With all the talk about this defensive line and “adding more weight” to Forbes or should we have taken Quan in the second round… Could this be an elite secondary? Not a really good secondary but an “elite” secondary?

Ik the DL’s play a part but IMO we have the potential to be “elite” in the secondary. Takeaways! Thoughts?

Sure. It could be. But no way of knowing until we see it.

For what they invested in it… it better be close.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

20lbs of muscle in 3 months. :ols:

On a guy who's 165lbs.  :ols::ols:

Why didn't he think of that.

Forbes said he was at 177 and wanted to start the season at 185. So where is this 165 coming from. Or is Forbes a liar?

15 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

20lbs of muscle in 3 months. :ols:

On a guy who's 165lbs.  :ols::ols:

Why didn't he think of that.

Plenty of internet fitness pages that say it's doable. I looked it up before posting. A professional athlete dedicated to body enhancement has ALLOT more time and resources to accomplish this. "You can gain up to 12-15lbs (6.8kg) of muscle in 3-4 months when closely following a researched program. (Afterward, muscle gains slow drastically.) These results are achievable for every healthy man and woman."

His 6'1" frame (if supported by bone mass) can do it....Just look at the Hollywood actors who transform for roles...

But go ahead and laugh.. IDGAF

I know many wanted us to take a corner - I didn't. How'd we pull off the 10th best D with a lame offense and apparently lame corners and few turnovers. Future injury concerns or cap hits aside I would be fine with our DBs from last year. If Chase plays to expectations I think our front would get us more turnovers alone. It seems we are pushing all in on him being a turnover machine. I am not convinced JDR will give him the free reign to be that free lancer needed to meet his turnover expectations many will have on him being a round 1 guy.  I am sure they will let him ballhawk some but doubt it fits the scheme we end up predominantly using. Our offense wont afford our D leads to take chances. We will be in Bend dont break early and often this year, like usual - playing conservative trying to slow down the game and win games 20-17.

I would love to know how much of the time our corners are in bend dont break. BDB = Zippy turnovers.

Edited by RandyHolt

20 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

Forbes said he was at 177 and wanted to start the season at 185. So where is this 165 coming from. Or is Forbes a liar?

His weight at the combine was 166.  That's a fact.  If you watch the video of him with Jonathan Allen, he just doesn't look like an NFL player.  He seems like such a good guy though and obviously I wish him the best.  

For some players from some programs, it doesn't apply. But for some, this is a game changer as far as fitness and nutrition. 

What you can afford to do and get people around you to motivate and help develop you. Paying people to make sure you meet your goals is a luxury. The resources available, along with the fact that this is now real and availability gets you paid the big bucks, suggests he can add at least some weight. 

I think you'd be hoping for over 175 lbs for season start and hoping to keep him above 175lbs for the season. Aim for 183/180 the next year and see if you can get any higher as the years go by.

Edited by Silvernon
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, HoggLife said:

Combine. Little over the top with the dramatic "liar" comment. 

1 hour ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Plenty of internet fitness pages that say it's doable. I looked it up before posting. A professional athlete dedicated to body enhancement has ALLOT more time and resources to accomplish this. "You can gain up to 12-15lbs (6.8kg) of muscle in 3-4 months when closely following a researched program. (Afterward, muscle gains slow drastically.) These results are achievable for every healthy man and woman."

His 6'1" frame (if supported by bone mass) can do it....Just look at the Hollywood actors who transform for roles...

You ever work out? If he wasn't already working out and in good shape and he went to some crazy bootcamp and ate 5,000 calories a day then maybe he could add 20lbs of good muscle, but that's nuts and it's not sustainable. 

4 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

The weight convo is already the most silly, over hyped, annoying thing ever, lol. Sheesh...lol.

To be honest, it's not. It is a very real and very valid concern.

Having said that...

He's survived at 166 so far in the SEC. It's not the NFL, but he's our guy and we just need to let it play out and see what happens instead of some folks constantly using it as a reason the guy stinks.

If people think Forbes stinks they don't know what they are watching. So... let's see what happens. 

• Thumb up 1

13 hours ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

As somebody who lifts, I can tell you that is very optimistic.   While its possible a male in his twenties or thirties with really good genetics can put on 12-15 of muscle in 3 to 4 months if they were not lifting before, the vast majority of people who don't fit that specifications (almost all women, men over 40, men with average to bad genetics) cannot do that.   Now if you include water weight it does become easier to put on 12 pounds of lean body mass in 3 to 4 months (water weight is consider lean body mass) and its possible that the author of the article is conflating muscle with lean body mass.    A lot of water can come from increased glycogen or creatine (if somebody starts supplementing with creatine) and that water weight is technically stored in the muscle, so it could be argued its mucle, but adding that to your muscle mass won't increase your strength and explosiveness in the same way increasing dense muscle mass will.

In regards to the Hollywood actors who transform their body, they are most likely either taking illegal steroids or alternatively using  testosterone replacement therapy (which is legal, but not allowed in the NFL) to get results quite a bit faster than you could get it without extra help.

Edited by philibusters
  • Thumb up 1