Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

4 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I want to see more before pounding my chest, but open to keeping all 4 and marketing the team around those 4 dudes. 2 games with great impact on the win column—fantastic opportunity for the in next two weeks. 

Dare to be bold! 

People love to point at the 9ers trading Buckner as a way to operate, but kinlaw sucks and they just paid a ransom to Hargrave to put it back together. 

Side not, wish we took LBer as seriously as they do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

People love to point at the 9ers trading Buckner as a way to operate, but kinlaw sucks and they just paid a ransom to Hargrave to put it back together. 

Side not, wish we took LBer as seriously as they do.

You mean lucking into a 5th rounder being stellar...wait hold up, how has Dre Greenlaw never even made a pro-bowl? That can't be right. I was sure he made at least one pro-bowl.

I see a lot of complaining about our LBs. Heck I think Jamin remains a terrible pick a first round LB should be turnkey damn good. The miss tackles I saw last year, he kinda screams teams to me...

I see folks complaining about Barton. I am the lone wolf it seems in saying he is doing exactly that JDRR ask of him. Reading. Guarding about play action as priority 1.  Does anyone really think Barton and every NFL LB cannot do what Holcomb did here?  I contend a LB has to work really hard to ignore their aggressive instincts that made them enamored to NFL GMs in the first place. Yes I think JDRs scheme sucks ballz. Our backers are flat footed and its real tough to tackle backs at full speed while standing still.

Edited by RandyHolt

Let's talk LBs. It seems like we all have thought our LBs have sucked for a while now. Myself included but in large part because Jamin looks like a teams player to me. But sometimes there is more than what meets the forums eyes. I listen to a lot of fantasy talk on XM sitting in traffic and remember hearing a while back that OCs target LBs for exploitation. Heavily. Not ground breaking news coming from the GIbbs school of play action exposing downhill aggressive LBs on 3rd and short 4 decades ago.

All the complaining about Barton has led me to defend the man I despise for being too passive - JDR. Yes I still think its on him for letting Buffalo get up 10-zippy on us and putting their foot on our OLs neck the rest of the day. Letting Allen have 5 blocking 4 all day is a walk in the park for him that I am sure he and ALL QBs prefer.  I am convinced QBs HATE heavy blitzing OL confused constant pressure and getting hit. Does anyone think otherwise?

Rant aside play action has been at the core of many OCs ambitions for decades. I feel our LBs are being coached to not bite on run plays. That its better to give up 8 yard runs vs than a series of 4 yard runs and then a play action back breaking big pass play. Eliminate the entire chapter of the OCs playaction playbook. Someone may have finally quantified it all.

Check this out. One of the primary ways to scout and grade LBs now is downhill biting. PFF or someone did a study on it and quantified bites. Anyone with PFF want to share Bite Distance Under Expected from our LBs? Excellent discussion on XM88 if anyone heard it today. Where LBs bite the hardest? Outside Zone PA... not a surprise to me.

We all are used to downhill Mikes. Harold. Neal. London. The game has changed and DCs are not going to let their LBs get beat by PA anymore. Complain about JDR not Barton if you don't like watching him flat footed. I call it read react & get run over. I would rather JDR attack to start games and try and rattle QBs but he prefers the contain passive shell game. LBs are simply not going to blitz much in his D. I hate it - THAT is the best way to use Jamin to his strengths IMO. He is a wasted 1st in this scheme. I am not sure we even bother bluff bringing LBs since QBs know we don't bite. Its delay blitz or bust.

In the past watching Mike get burned by play action, we all gave them a free pass and let the offense declare victory. Not anymore, as Mike sits back.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 9/25/2023 at 7:25 PM, Conn said:

So our team’s top unit is mentally weak? Nice coaching 

Anyone shocked to hear me say JDR needed to blitz in the "first couple of series" instead of letting his DL get demoralized and frustrated, as the team fell behind?

Sacks 100% fire up the players and crowd and create positive energy. Expecting 4 to beat 5 straight up with a QB smart enough to take off if a DL does finally beat their man clean is maybe asking too much.

Exactly what I am pissed about... getting pressure early in games should be a priority. Waiting to blitz until frustrated and losing makes it easier for the OC to know its coming.  JDR needs to toss the D a bone and let them attack far more often than he does. Instead they are frustrated and Ron can't help but tell the world. Its no secret DL get frustrated when an almost sack turns into a 20 yd scramble and then points scored. Hell even fans do. Clearly I am still ****ing pissed at how scared our stud DEF played vs Allen yet we still got blown out. JDR should have let Forbes follow Diggs help up top. That's the expectation I have a first round corners. Ballhawk is an overplayed trait in the low INT era IMO.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 2

I talk to myself a lot apparently. This thread can drift away onto page 2 but not without me sharing this for posterity to reference for DFS this weekend.

We are in zone 61% of the time and our slot corner has done great thus far. Our WRs may be able to feast some if Sam / EB can get some basics sorted out. But I think we will come out running right into that brick wall though because we need to run moar.

https://g.espncdn.com/s/ffldraftkit/23/NFL23_CS_WRCBWeek4seabass.pdf?adddata=2023CS_WRCBWeek4seabass

Edited by RandyHolt

On 9/25/2023 at 6:41 PM, RandyHolt said:

I see a lot of complaining about our LBs. Heck I think Jamin remains a terrible pick a first round LB should be turnkey damn good. The miss tackles I saw last year, he kinda screams teams to me...

I see folks complaining about Barton. I am the lone wolf it seems in saying he is doing exactly that JDRR ask of him. Reading. Guarding about play action as priority 1.  Does anyone really think Barton and every NFL LB cannot do what Holcomb did here?  I contend a LB has to work really hard to ignore their aggressive instincts that made them enamored to NFL GMs in the first place. Yes I think JDRs scheme sucks ballz. Our backers are flat footed and its real tough to tackle backs at full speed while standing still.

Hindsight is 20-20.  But I would have liked to keep Cole.  Cody was a bit cheaper, but it does feel like we got a downgrade.  Cole knew Del Rio's system and if he could stay healthy he was a good LB.   So far that hasn't been true for Cody Barton.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, philibusters said:

Hindsight is 20-20.  But I would have liked to keep Cole.  Cody was a bit cheaper, but it does feel like we got a downgrade.  Cole knew Del Rio's system and if he could stay healthy he was a good LB.   So far that hasn't been true for Cody Barton.

Don't be deceived by a tweet showing Cole being allowed to run blitz and get a TFL. Every NFL LB can do that when allowed to shoot gaps at the snap.

I won't hold my breath to hear JDRs grading out of Barton nor for the PFF LB bite under expected data. IMO he is SO flat footed on runs it HAS to be what JDR is asking of him - to not be fooled by playaction as priority one. I wish a lurker reporter here can ask about how he is being used. To me its obvious. He is reading plays fully before reacting. If not he shouldn't be in the NFL. The kicker and most obvious thing to me? He simply wouldn't be, with 2 former LBers as his direct coaches including Ron with the 85 Bears.

Do you think JDR is asking him to be a downhill attacking LB and he is ignoring him, or can't do it? Also curious what you think he is being asked to do on the plays you say he is not good. I admit I am speculating but until we know what he is asked to do what gap he has or zone coverage responsibility he has we just have to start with the obvious stuff. He is not biting at all on anything making him look slow clueless and forced to tackle backs already at full speed as he just starts moving.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

Why the **** did JDR wait until over time to blitz? It was very effective including forcing the deepest intentional grounding in recent memory.  He is clearly holding off on blitzing to use it as a secret weapon only... he saved it for overtime?? Why not save it for next year.  I have never seen a more passive DC on a defense loaded with studs.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Overrated. They never make big plays against top notch opponents in big situations. 

Been saying this for three years.

I recall saying this offseason that I wouldn't be shocked in the least to see our offense be the strength of the team this year.  Our defense is a straight-up fraud.  There is absolutely no way I give either of our Defensive Ends a huge contract at the end of the year.  If we decide to keep one of them, I offer that person a "solid" contract to go along with their "solid" level of play.  But if I'm going to fork over a ton of money, I expect consistent Pro Bowl level play.  We're never getting that out of Young or Montez.  They are not those guys.  

Edited by Redwards
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

I lead the Fire JDR bandwagon annually, then we play a few bad teams where the defense dominates and I park it back in the garage.

At what point is it demanded you field an elite unit with this many resources allocated to it?

It’s actually hard to comprehend that this collection of talent can be so god awful on third down.

• Like 4

It's also have to believe that he'd keep trotting Forbes out there to get toasted repeatedly. He not only gave up all those plays to AJ Brown but also Smith as well. It was like wherever they put him that's where the Eagles targeted. Maybe a blitz here or there would have helped out because Forbes can't cover and had 0 picks to show for being beaten by the WR so many times.

Ballhawk?

More like Chickenhawk!

Edited by SkinsFTW

It was so obvious we were going to blitz on every play in OT.   Because it was easy for Hurtz it still didnt lead to sacks. He just threw the ball away or got rid of it quickly and it was enough to win.  JDR also does the DBs no favor and in particular Forbes today on a tough assignment by not blitzing until OT.

See KC first 3rd down vs the Jets? Overload blitzing. Showed 7 on the LOS ready to attack - Zach probably pooped - KC dropped 2 and got an incompletion. Yes in the the first quarter. Its more than just what QBs JDR is facing. He only blitzes once in a blue moon no matter the QBs proven ability to beat the blitz. It cannot be a stat he seeks out - as a team we have played scared of pressuring QBs for a decade plus especially against rookies.

Jets bring 3 on third down? Noah Gray wide open deep - TD.

Edited by RandyHolt

2 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

See KC first 3rd down vs the Jets? Overload blitzing. Showed 7 on the LOS ready to attack - Zach probably pooped - KC dropped 2 and got an incompletion. Yes in the the first quarter. Its more than just what QBs JDR is facing. He only blitzes once in a blue moon no matter the QBs proven ability to beat the blitz. It cannot be a stat he seeks out - as a team we have played scared of pressuring QBs for a decade plus especially against rookies.

The problem is we arent a good blitzing team. Blitzing is a skill set and our guys just arent good at it. Gone are the days of Marcus Washington and Shawn Springs killing offenses via the blitz. 

38 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

It's also have to believe that he'd keep trotting Forbes out there to get toasted repeatedly. He not only gave up all those plays to AJ Brown but also Smith as well. It was like wherever they put him that's where the Eagles targeted. Maybe a blitz here or there would have helped out because Forbes can't cover and had 0 picks to show for being beaten by the WR so many times.

Ballhawk?

More like Chickenhawk!

Brown on Forbes was just a physical mismatch and we didn’t give Forbes much safety help either. I’m surprised the Eagles didn’t just keep throwing at Brown every time he was singled up with Forbes.

19 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The problem is we arent a good blitzing team. Blitzing is a skill set and our guys just arent good at it. Gone are the days of Marcus Washington and Shawn Springs killing offenses via the blitz. 

As a fan since 1974 I have never heard of such a thing.

Our blitzing looked fantastic to me in OT.  Predictable in that we did the exact same blitz every time but it was the first time all game we saw Jalen uncomfortable. We got a grounding - almost better than a sack.

The problem to me is our DC has no creativity or willingness to blitz. Almost thinking 4 1sts up front should negate the need.

Edited by RandyHolt

Just now, RandyHolt said:

As a fan since 1974 I have never heard of such a thing.

Our blitzing looked fantastic to me in OT.  Predictable in that we did the exact same blitz every time but it was the first time all game we saw Jalen uncomfortable.

The problem to me is our DC has no creativity or willingness to blitz. Almost thinking 4 1sts up front should negate the need.

How was it fantastic when they still scored the game winning FG? Our blitzes are slow and never just overwhelm the opponent. 

• Thumb up 2