Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

37 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm hoping he retires so Bieniemy can pick our next DC.

If EB is garnering a lot of control right now, and we know he's the Assistant Head Coach, why doesn't he suggest to RR today that he knows a guy who's better than JDR that we could hire instantly? I know there's no answer to this hypothetical question but hopefully it's a conversation being held at some point between the two of them. 

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@Koolblue13

I believe I'm being too hard on Harris, you are being too hard on EB, and we coming to more of a middle ground agreement on how we look at Ron then we have in the past.

EB and Howell are both practically brand new in the roles they currently have and when is the last time we score 30+ points twice this early in then season.  They could end up being a deadly combo, but both deserve a level of patience that I don't see both getting yet.

I need more to give Howell his 3rd coordinator in three years.

I'm definitely bullish about EB, that's for sure. I suppose I should give him more of a pass. I'm operating on the premise that Ron hired his buddy to give him a promotion in a lame duck year and that just pisses me off. I also think that Reid is the mastermind behind his offense and his coordinators have small roles and specific jobs. Nagy to work with the QBs, EB to yell and motivate. He has shown nothing when it comes to the ground game. No creativity or timing there. Randy Jordan has been a solid coach for us, so I'd love to know what he thinks about EB.

I've been a Howell fan since he was at UNC and think he'd be good anywhere he went, but he needs the right tools and I haven't seen that given to him by Ron or EB. Although 3 Qs of this game were good. I wonder if Ron had to get in his ear to dial it back this week after the 3rd.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't want EB. He reverted to his pass happy no situational awareness routine in the third Q and the game almost got away from us. He's put together 4 Q of good football in 4 games. I think he's at his ceiling now and I doubt our new GM keeps him and fires everyone else. New GM will want to pick his coaches. We're gonna be run professionally now.

EB would have to be dang near transcendent to survive a total FO shake up. The whole point is to change the people in place.

He has had 1 good game so far. That's not good. EB aint even on my shortlist.

• Like 1

I’m getting worried about EB, although I do feel like he tried to help Sam out this week. It was the first week where I saw things getting better and more things in the game plan, like the quick passing game and a near 50/50 split of run to pass, to help a young QB out.  Hopefully that continues to get better. Shame the defense couldn’t hold the Eagles. There are some major problems on that side of the ball.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

I’m getting worried about EB, although I do feel like he tried to help Sam out this week. It was the first week where I saw things getting better and more things in the game plan, like the quick passing game and a near 50/50 split of run to pass, to help a young QB out.  Hopefully that continues to get better. Shame the defense couldn’t hold the Eagles. There are some major problems on that side of the ball.  

But why are you worried about EB? 

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I will say I could see Harris(and/or whoever he hires as the new GM) insisting on replacing Del Rio. Guy is a dinosaur and doesn't seem like he'd mesh with Harris's focus on new school/analytical approach.

I would fire Del Rio right now. Our D is too talented to be this bad and we shouldn't have to go half the season before he figures it out. 

I don't think there's no chance he's the d-coordinator next year. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

I would fire Del Rio right now. Our D is too talented to be this bad and we shouldn't have to go half the season before he figures it out. 

I don't think there's no chance he's the d-coordinator next year. 

Naw firing coaches mid season rarely if ever works out. And historically Del Rio does have the D playing at a top 5-10 level once we hit midseason.

But moving forward 2024 and beyond, I don't see how Del Rio's pedigree meshes with Harris's approach.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, No Nonsense said:

But why are you worried about EB? 

I'm worried because it took several weeks to get him to that point and maybe even some arm twisting by RR to get the ratio of run to pass more in balance.  We were screaming about it on this board after week 1.  He was way slow to adjust and, as a result, Howell was bludgeoned for three straight weeks.  Those are hits that will add up as the season continues.  

The likelihood of this defense getting better by firing the coordinator mid season and bringing in someone from outside is virtually nill.

This defense will probably underplay its potential all season but it will get better it always does.

Firing the coordinator at the behest of the offensive coordinator and bringing in his guy is not only a silly thought it would be a titanic level disaster. 

• Like 2

Here's how it should go, IMO:  Harris finds and hires a great GM.  The GM finds the right HC.  The HC hires the coordinators and position coaches.  The GM hires all of the staff necessary to evaluate college and pro talent.  The fans enjoy the fruits of their labor.

We had all of that before Snyder.  DC really does need a complete overhaul of the system.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

I really don't understand the EB hate????   What did he do wrong in the 3rd quarter?  1st drive he ran twice for a total of 2 yards of the 5 plays and then Dotson dropped the 3rd down pass.  Second drive he ran twice then on 2nd and 4 he took a deep shot with Slay injured, then Howell got sacked on a LB Blitz, and it was holding anyway.  I feel like our offense is 10 times better than last year and we honestly see adjustments being made.  Right now time will tell how much KC's offense is the same or worst since EB left?  They have not looked like the elite offense of old.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, dckey said:

I really don't understand the EB hate????   What did he do wrong in the 3rd quarter?  1st drive he ran twice for a total of 2 yards of the 5 plays and then Dotson dropped the 3rd down pass.  Second drive he ran twice then on 2nd and 4 he took a deep shot with Slay injured, then Howell got sacked on a LB Blitz, and it was holding anyway.  I feel like our offense is 10 times better than last year and we honestly see adjustments being made.  Right now time will tell how much KC's offense is the same or worst since EB left?  They have not looked like the elite offense of old.

Yeah I don't get it either. I think he called a great game yesterday. One of the reasons why I wanna go for it on 2 is because I trust EB's ability to call the perfect play in that spot.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I don't get it either. I think he called a great game yesterday. One of the reasons why I wanna go for it on 2 is because I trust EB's ability to call the perfect play in that spot.

Exactly, do you know how many times our offense scored 30 points in a game without a defensive or special teams TD?  TWICE IN 3 YEARS and he's already matched that output in 4 games!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

1 minute ago, dckey said:

Exactly, do you know how many times our offense scored 30 points in a game without a defensive or special teams TD?  TWICE IN 3 YEARS and he's already matched that output in 4 games!!!!!

Yep meanwhile the Chiefs offense without Bienemy has been average at best save for an outburst against the Bears who are horrendous on defense.

16 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Here's how it should go, IMO:  Harris finds and hires a great GM.  The GM finds the right HC.  The HC hires the coordinators and position coaches.  The GM hires all of the staff necessary to evaluate college and pro talent.  The fans enjoy the fruits of their labor.

We had all of that before Snyder.  DC really does need a complete overhaul of the system.  

Soon come.

• Like 1

Our Defense is among the worst in the league in pass rush win rate and run stop win rate. There is simply no way that talent is the primary factor here. I know Allen has been hurt with plantar fasciitis (which sucks and lingers) but outside of that, everyone has been healthy and is at least above average. I think JDR's defense does not at all play to the strength of our guys. There is no creativity at all in the rush plan. Underwhelming results to start the season once again.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Those numbers don't seem right. I don't think we've been that bad on defense. Disappointing yes for sure, but not that bad.

With the exception of the 2nd half against Arizona and the Denver game, it seems like the D-Line has mostly been ghost.  Montez Sweat has no sacks since the Denver game, and Chase had a sack against the Eagles, but has been turned upfield on multiple occasions, especially against the Bills and Eagles, creating lanes for QB's like Hurts and Allen to run.  The D-Line is NOT doing it's job right now, and it's killing us against the better OL's.  If your front 4 can easily be handled, then you need to blitz, but Del Rio's blitz's are either too late or not disguised enough to get home.  The D is not living up to expectations.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, samy316 said:

With the exception of the 2nd half against Arizona and the Denver game, it seems like the D-Line has mostly been ghost.  Montez Sweat has no sacks since the Denver game, and Chase had a sack against the Eagles, but has been turned upfield on multiple occasions, especially against the Bills and Eagles, creating lanes for QB's like Hurts and Allen to run.  The D-Line is NOT doing it's job right now, and it's killing us against the better OL's.  If your front 4 can easily be handled, then you need to blitz, but Del Rio's blitz's are either too late or not disguised enough to get home.  The D is not living up to expectations.

I don't really disagree with any of that, but I've also seen us consistently stuff runners for TFL and the pass rush pressure hasn't been bad, we've just faced two elite QBs who are mobile in back to back weeks, which has to affect our guys pass rush strategies. 

Regardless, I think we will see it stabilize a bit over the next month or so.

• Like 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I don't really disagree with any of that, but I've also seen us consistently stuff runners for TFL and the pass rush pressure hasn't been bad, we've just faced two elite QBs who are mobile in back to back weeks, which has to affect our guys pass rush strategies. 

Regardless, I think we will see it stabilize a bit over the next month or so.

We've been pretty good stopping the run.  That's about the only thing this D has done well this early part of the season.  I really can't accept the excuses of elite QB's having all day to pick us apart though.  With the amount of money and resources devoted to this defensive line group, they SHOULD be able to perform better than they're performing right now.  6 1st rounders on D, yet we're 3rd to last in PPG, and good OL's have been having their way with us.  That can't happen with the investment we've put into this group.  I don't know if it's coaching or if it's the players not performing up to standards, but so far this is unacceptable.  They will probably get better, but only because of the bad teams we're facing over the next few weeks.  If they can't handle the OL's of the Bears, Falcons or Giants, then we really have a problem.

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, samy316 said:

We've been pretty good stopping the run.  That's about the only thing this D has done well this early part of the season.  I really can't accept the excuses of elite QB's having all day to pick us apart though.  With the amount of money and resources devoted to this defensive line group, they SHOULD be able to perform better than they're performing right now.  6 1st rounders on D, yet we're 3rd to last in PPG, and good OL's have been having their way with us.  That can't happen with the investment we've put into this group.  I don't know if it's coaching or if it's the players not performing up to standards, but so far this is unacceptable.  They will probably get better, but only because of the bad teams we're facing over the next few weeks.  If they can't handle the OL's of the Bears, Falcons or Giants, then we really have a problem.

Chase played a great game against the eagles and kept Hurts in the box on a ton of potential running plays. The DL was not the problem against the Eagles. 

We sacked Hurts 3 times, once was Curl on a Blitz.