Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

Watching the Giants and Dolphins. 

If it’s even the slightest comfort the Giants are even worse than we are on defense. In a game in which they have 3 turnovers and a defensive touchdown they are STILL being embarrassed defensively.

They just can’t get off blocks and the Dolphins are ripping chunk runs at will. If Tua had not had an off game this would he way out of hand. As it is the Dolphins are still 3 scores up while being down 3 turnovers. 

It's really mostly Barton and Forbes as the issue. They have both been awful. Butler can take a seat too.

Secondary - BSJ and Fuller are playing well overall, but several errors. Forrest and Curl are a good duo that could be playing a bit better. 

D-Line - Allen apparently fighting through something and that meshes with what I see. Young probably improves as he gets to the back half. Payne and Sweat playing where they need to be. 

And Jamin could be playing better, but mostly looks good. 

15 minutes ago, MartinC said:

If it’s even the slightest comfort the Giants are even worse than we are on defense. In a game in which they have 3 turnovers and a defensive touchdown they are STILL being embarrassed defensively.

They just can’t get off blocks and the Dolphins are ripping chunk runs at will. If Tua had not had an off game this would he way out of hand. As it is the Dolphins are still 3 scores up while being down 3 turnovers. 

Hey man… we haven’t played Miami yet…

19 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I'm watching the Falcons and this defense is really really good. 

Always out schemed. 3rd and long=1st down or touchdown. Too many blown assignments, big plays and almosts. 

Just now, CommanderDOOM said:

Always out schemed. 3rd and long=1st down or touchdown. Too many blown assignments, big plays and almosts. 

And we get the absolute least out of our good players as opposed to getting the most out of jags.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, MartinC said:

Falcons D? Yeah that’s a solid unit. 

How is their O looking? I’m not a fan of Ridder as an NFL QB.

Looks decent. Texans have a decent defense and the Falcons OL holds up for Ridder. The make decent holes for the RBs, but hardly need to. Bijon and Allgerier are an impressive 1/2 punch. Ridder is definitely the only problem this team has. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Hey man… we haven’t played Miami yet…

That’s my same thought watching that same game. If we have issues stopping Herbert can you imagine Achane in space?

Washington is the worst in the league as to giving up big plays can you imagine that versus Hill and Waddle? 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

3 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Every time I watch TJ Watt play I think to myself this is what it should be like watching Chase Young. But it’s not.

Edit* I want you to know I posted that before he sacked Lamar to end the game.

I was watching that and he is always exciting on that field and a big leader for that defense. How many freaking turnovers and huge sacks and pressures does he cause and get?

18 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Young has been the best player on our defense thru 5 games. Not sure why yall are throwing shade. 

Because the "best" player on our defense doesn't mean anything much when the defense is pure garbage.  It's all relative.

Young is anything but a game wrecker.  And that is exactly what you should expect from your #2 overall pick.  Young playing a "good, solid" game isn't nearly enough because of where he was drafted.  It's just the reality of the business.  We have no defensive end that OCs fear or  have to gameplan for.  Not a one. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Redwards said:

Because the "best" player on our defense doesn't mean anything much when the defense is pure garbage.  It's all relative.

Young is anything but a game wrecker.  And that is exactly what you should expect from your #2 overall pick.  Young playing a "good, solid" game isn't nearly enough because of where he was drafted.  It's just the reality of the business.  We have no defensive end that OCs fear or  have to gameplan for.  Not a one. 

He got pressure on almost half of Fields passes. That's insane. It's hardly on Young that the secondary was so bad. If we had even a little bit of coverage, that translates to sacks.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

He got pressure on almost half of Fields passes. That's insane. It's hardly on Young that the secondary was so bad. If we had even a little bit of coverage, that translates to sacks.

That's all well and good, but the gamewreckers find a way.  

Their O line is complete crap and was missing 3 starters.  Young hadn't done hardly anything the previous two games against good O lines.  Typical.

He's got the rest of the year and a lot of good O lines to prove himself.  Again...the great players find a way. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

Every time I watch TJ Watt play I think to myself this is what it should be like watching Chase Young. But it’s not.

Edit* I want you to know I posted that before he sacked Lamar to end the game.

Exactly, I think of our entire unit. We don’t play fast or aggressive and we are not disruptive enough.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Conn said:

Would be cool having defensive players who make this sort of impact, given all the resources we’ve poured into it. 

For whatever reason, likely new ownership intoxication, I expected to see a version of that this season.  

When I envisioned a good season, it was based on the D coming together and wrecking games.  Giving Sam short fields, points and less stress.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Redwards said:

That's all well and good, but the gamewreckers find a way.  

Their O line is complete crap and was missing 3 starters.  Young hadn't done hardly anything the previous two games against good O lines.  Typical.

He's got the rest of the year and a lot of good O lines to prove himself.  Again...the great players find a way. 

that's bull****.  If it was true teams with a "gamewrecker" on defense would never lose a game.  He can't teleport to the QB.  When there's open receivers in 1.5 seconds, the pressure is not getting there

18 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Cole Holcomb was flying around the field today for the Steelers. Can't believe we let him go in favor of this donk Barton.

I was thinking the same thing. Watching Barton get pushed backwards on run plays is all that needs to be shown.

Holcomb was better.

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Cole Holcomb was flying around the field today for the Steelers. Can't believe we let him go in favor of this donk Barton.

I agree and didn't like the move. But I also have to wonder, how people can watch our defense and then proceed to watch other games/redzone and not notice that the most obvious difference is probably not individual talent. Yes, our LBs are really bad but Holcomb was struggling here as well. Other teams run their defense so much more creative. They disguise their coverage and rushing plans by crowding the LOS, they bring pressure from all different angles, they run creative stunts and simultaneously keep it somewhat simple for the guys behind to give them the possibility to play fast. They try everything in the book to make it as hard as possible for the opposing QBs. Our defensive scheme seems to be: Rush 4-5 linemen straight into their respective O-line player, hope for them to get home and everyone behind sits back. And it's like that every week. If you do that every once in a while as an adjustment to the opponent -> great. If you do it every week while it ain't working -> really bad.

And honestly, this works primarily against bad teams but never against good QBs and good OCs. We have great athletes on defense, yet we run our defensive in the most conservative way possible. I don't get that at all.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1