Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Chase played a great game against the eagles and kept Hurts in the box on a ton of potential running plays. The DL was not the problem against the Eagles. 

We sacked Hurts 3 times, once was Curl on a Blitz. 

You’re right that the DL wasn’t the problem. Here’s where I quibble, though… 

They should be a lot more disruptive than they are on a week to week basis. Is that their fault? I don’t know. Might be JDR. Might be them. But for four first rounders they aren’t doing the damage they should (in my opinion).

But that also doesn’t mean they’re bad.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, KDawg said:

They should be a lot more disruptive than they are on a week to week basis. Is that their fault? I don’t know. Might be JDR. Might be them. But for four first rounders they aren’t doing the damage they should (in my opinion).

Yes, that's what I was trying to say.  In Year 4 of this regime, we shouldn't have to excuse their play if the only thing that we can say about them was that they were "not the issue" in why we lost.  This DL group should be the main reason we have chances in games, and they should be taking over games at this stage.  We haven't invested in this group just to get "okay" or "not bad" regarding their performances.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Those numbers don't seem right. I don't think we've been that bad on defense. Disappointing yes for sure, but not that bad.

It's time to turn the page on what they thought adding Forbes would do to improve the D at this point. Learning pains they say but it's hard to overlook him getting beat by whoever he covers and his soft play and lack of makeup speed.  He is hurting the D. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumb down 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I'm not about to disagree. The Bills OL isn't the best and their RT was out. We should have been all over Allen, but we did hold them to 16 through 3Q and they just hung 48 on the Fins.

I was strictly talking about the Eagles, with the leagues best OL and a very hard to tackle QB.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Like most things in life, it isn't black and white - one or the other. 

I think it's most definitely a combination of a mediocre DC in Del Rio and the players.  Just because guys were selected in the first round doesn't make them great players, unfortunately.   Jamin Davis as LB is just little more than a guy at this point.  It's a major whiff on a gamble by this FO.  Young just isn't the guy we (and the entire league for that matter) thought we were getting at #2.   Montez is a good player.  A solid player.  Hardly a great one.  He just doesn't make hay with any regularity against good O lines.  Mann and Manley shined more often than not no matter what kind of O line they played against.  Montez and Young just don't. 

For the assets allocated to that side of the ball, this defense should be lights out against just about everyone.  But even when going against great QBs, it should present a huge problem for those offenses.   It just doesn't.  Del Rio gets zero heat and the players' reps get over-inflated against mediocre competition.  It's just frustrating as hell.  🤮

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Chase played a great game against the eagles and kept Hurts in the box on a ton of potential running plays. The DL was not the problem against the Eagles. 

We sacked Hurts 3 times, once was Curl on a Blitz. 

Forbes you think? Big Plays for whoever he covered?   

• Thumb down 1

24 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

It's time to turn the page on what they thought adding Forbes would do to improve the D at this point. Learning pains they say but it's hard to overlook him getting beat by whoever he covers and his soft play and lack of makeup speed.  He is hurting the D. 

I think we were all sold that our secondary had improved, which would in turn allow our DL to get home more. However, SOMETHIN AIN'T RIGHT

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

48 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Yes, that's what I was trying to say.  In Year 4 of this regime, we shouldn't have to excuse their play if the only thing that we can say about them was that they were "not the issue" in why we lost.  This DL group should be the main reason we have chances in games, and they should be taking over games at this stage.  We haven't invested in this group just to get "okay" or "not bad" regarding their performances.

If our secondary and LBers didn't suck, they might have. They did play very good, not "wasn't the issue" good. They were very good. Yes they could be better, but against the Eagles and the Bills, they really don't deserve to catch a single finger pointed their way.

32 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Forbes you think? Big Plays for whoever he covered?   

When you can throw to the big receiver at will on almost any play at any time, it's tough to sack the QB.

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If our secondary and LBers didn't suck, they might have. They did play very good, not "wasn't the issue" good. They were very good. Yes they could be better, but against the Eagles and the Bills, they really don't deserve to catch a single finger pointed their way.

When you can throw to the big receiver at will on almost any play at any time, it's tough to sack the QB.

Forbes is 6'2 not short for a CB it's not like they were beating him over the top all day. He played weak D on whoever he was covering and getting beat.  He needs to start making some plays. 

• Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 2

4 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Forbes is 6'2 not short for a CB it's not like they were beating him over the top all day. He played weak D on whoever he was covering and getting beat.  He needs to start making some plays. 

AJ Brown has almost 50lbs on him and is just as fast.

33 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Smoot, Paulson and Moss were discussing Forbes. I dont recall the whole segment but the jist was that Forbes had bad technique, compared to Fuller who on the couple of occasions that he covered Brown was able to manipulate Browns route running (force to the sideline).

No idea how much of this is true but they also said Forbes was able to get away with things in college that will not fly in the pros and he needs to work on his technique to get better and will continue to get targeted now until he comes around. 

33 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Every DC this team has had since Greggggggg left has lined DB's up like that and I have no idea why.

Because every DC we've had has been a dinosaur who sticks by super old and outdated principles with little to no creativity or outside the box thinking.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 3

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Those numbers don't seem right. I don't think we've been that bad on defense. Disappointing yes for sure, but not that bad.

I recall seeing some stats through week 2 where our win rates on pass rush were among the best in the league. Week 3 was rough but I doubt we have fallen off a cliff.

Gmgb crew giving up the ugly about the defense. Over 1200 yards in four games, 30 points given up per game yet "littered with celebrated first rounders" (their words). Bottom ten on d. An hc and dc who are defense centric.

So where's the beef? (My words).

(Added : they like Howell)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/4/2023 at 7:18 AM, skinsfan66 said:

You want to ‘turn the page’ on a (first round) rookie after 4 starts? Really? 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

I think he means “turn the page” on the expectations people had for Forbes being a force-multiplier on the defense this season with his turnovers, etc. He’s fighting for his life out there, the expectations need to be reset to him just being a non-liability first, then a solid starter, then hopefully a difference-maker. And along that growth path, hopefully he has some exciting turnovers to hold us over while he figures it out.  

Let’s hope tonight is the night he wrangles another turnover (or two)

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Conn said:

I think he means “turn the page” on the expectations people had for Forbes being a force-multiplier on the defense this season with his turnovers, etc. He’s fighting for his life out there, the expectations need to be reset to him just being a non-liability first, then a solid starter, then hopefully a difference-maker. And along that growth path, hopefully he has some exciting turnovers to hold us over while he figures it out.  

Let’s hope tonight is the night he wrangles another turnover (or two)

Correct that's what I meant. We were told he was drafted as a playmaker very special player and size has nothing to do with it. It's not just 4 games he had problems in preseason games too. I hope he becomes the player they said. I hope he has a good game tonight because they are going to go after him.

1 hour ago, MartinC said: