Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

19 minutes ago, method man said:

I don’t know why so many on this board want to release Leno and/or Lucas. One guy is an average LT making average LT money while being a strong locker room presence and the other guy is one of the best swing tackles in the league and has had to play a ton since coming here

Leno is a fine starter. Wouldn't mind an upgrade but he wasn't the weak link at all last year. 

The post you're quoting though said to cut Logan, as in Logan Thomas, not Lucas. Thomas is finished and completely washed at this point. He should be a post June 1 cut.

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Leno is a fine starter. Wouldn't mind an upgrade but he wasn't the weak link at all last year. 

The post you're quoting though said to cut Logan, as in Logan Thomas, not Lucas. Thomas is finished and completely washed at this point. He should be a post June 1 cut.

I wanted to cut Thomas last year, so cool with that.

Cutting Leno would be moronic and I've pointed out why the only legitimate starting player on what's probably about to be the 28th ranked line again, shouldn't be cut. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep. Just saying that, in other threads, especially prior the draft, I was seeing a lot of posts suggesting cutting Lucas to save a miniscule amount of cap space.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I wanted to cut Thomas last year, so cool with that.

Cutting Leno would be moronic and I've pointed out why the only legitimate starting player on what's probably about to be the 28th ranked line again, shouldn't be cut. 

Unless his play drops off significantly this year, I wouldn't cut Leno next year either - it is not easy to acquire a legitimate starting caliber LT.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Neither Curl nor Sweat are playing week one without new contracts. Chase can go to the Bears for a couple of mid rounders.

Aren't there usually heavy penalties in contracts that detract players from holding out that long which is why we don't often see actual holdouts into the season?

8 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Just my own opinion on what I think happens with both Curl and Sweat.

Opinion based on what? i disagree...  Both will play. This is just posturing for a new contract. Not only will they lose eligibility for fa if they dont play... they look very poor to any team that might want to sign them and neither plays a position where replacements cant be found. Plus history has shown us that sitting out on purpose has never benefited a player. They are still under contract, they will play. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oraphus said:

Opinion based on what? i disagree...  Both will play. This is just posturing for a new contract. Not only will they lose eligibility for fa if they dont play... they look very poor to any team that might want to sign them and neither plays a position where replacements cant be found. Plus history has shown us that sitting out on purpose has never benefited a player. They are still under contract, they will play. 

Only real SUPERSTAR types have leverage when it comes to holding out, because they know they'll more than make up any money lost if/when they hit the open market.

A guy like Curl is playing on a 6th round pick rookie contract. If he holds up he's eating fines every day and it's not like he's gonna reset the market for DBs.

Sweat has a bit more bank as a DE on a 5th year option, but still, DL is a stronger position for us. If he wants to sit we'll happily fine him and move on.

3 hours ago, oraphus said:

Just my personal opinion and yeah it’s fine if we disagree.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

By the way, what has happened to Phidarian Mathis (ie, our 2nd round pick last year)?? 

Seems weird he's getting lost in the shuffle and none of the beat reporters or anyone else for that matter is talking about him

There is a post 4 or 5 above yours where a couple beat reporters mention him looking completely unbothered by his injury now

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Any sense on how Jamin Davis is doing? 

Davis was getting better last year, but still had lots of room for improvement.  I just hope Holcomb's passion for studying game film rubbed off on Davis -- especially since Cole's no longer around to help Jamin's development.   And I'm not sure how much of a 'mentor' Barton can be, considering he's learning a different system and was only beginning to 'come into his own' in Seattle.  

49 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

Any sense on how Jamin Davis is doing? 

Davis was getting better last year, but still had lots of room for improvement.  I just hope Holcomb's passion for studying game film rubbed off on Davis -- especially since Cole's no longer around to help Jamin's development.   And I'm not sure how much of a 'mentor' Barton can be, considering he's learning a different system and was only beginning to 'come into his own' in Seattle.  

He hasn’t practiced yet in OTA’s bc he had a clean up procedure on his knee, I’m pretty sure 

• Thumb up 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2023 at 12:23 PM, redskinss said:

Pretty hard to take that metric seriously when Aaron Donald isn't on there at least somewhere.

Aaron Donald missed 7 games last year and therefore only had 40 pressures.  I heard an interview with the guy who put this together on the Standig podcast and he said he only graded the top 50 guys in terms of pressures last year.  I think the cutoff was around 43 pressures.  Since Donald only had 40 pressures (because he only played in 10 games) he wasn't included in the stats.  The guy said he grades every sack but to grade every pressure would be too time consuming for one person, so he only does the top 50 players each season in terms of pressure.

Edited by philibusters
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, philibusters said:

Aaron Donald missed 7 games last year and therefore only had 40 pressures.  I heard an interview with the guy who put this together on the Standig podcast and he said he only graded the top 50 guys in terms of pressures last year.  I think the cutoff was around 43 pressures.  Since Donald only had 40 pressures (because he only played in 10 games) he wasn't included in the stats.  The guy said he grades every sack but to grade every pressure would be too time consuming for one person, so he only does the top 50 players each season in terms of pressure.

Probably all true but my point still stands, the metric is flawed due to insufficient information. 

If you were a scout and your boss asked you give him a list of the top 50 defensive tackles at pressuring the quarterback and you handed him that list he'd ask where Aaron Donald is and tell you to start over.

I'm sure that's a good method for measuring quarterback pressure but the model clearly needs more information to be accurate.

Injuries are always the wildcard in grading players. Broken players are just that. The NFL tries to rebuild them into what they once were but after some injuries the player is not quite the same. All battle father time rapidly.  While there are 6 Million dollar men, sadly we still lack bionics. Rest assured if bionics were available, the NFL would be first in line.

I still can't help but shake believing our defensive play calling will be heavily dictated by the limitations on offense - notably OL QB and RR. Sadly it seems the days that a defense would play aggressive and try to force turnovers or score to help out a futile offense are gone. It's mostly bend don't break or bust in DC for decades now no matter the studs on D.  If we want to enjoy a dominant defense we better hope Howell and EB can forge leads. RR plays everything so conservative it seems like we rarely to never have leads 10 minutes into games. Defenses lay back to start games when that is when I want them aggressive. Worst that can happen is down 7-0 which is what often happens anyways if you scoreboard watch league wide year after year.

Six Million Dollar Jump - GIF on Imgur

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dyst said:

How are we feeling about Darrick Forrest, was last year an anomaly or do we have a legit player here. He had an unreal year last year.

I think Darrick always had the athletic ability. Hard work & grinding paid off for him, and must always continue as the great ones always do. I think he is definitely legit, in my unprofessional opinion. 

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/university-of-cincinnati/2021/03/31/2021-nfl-draft-darrick-forrest-steals-show-cincinnati-pro-day/4811257001/

Screenshot_20230722-050931_Chrome.jpg.8dce85421bf34aad645f2304d52fa479.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1