Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

On 2/13/2023 at 10:50 AM, ultravin said:

Tell you what though, the Defense should be planning on how to stop those BS QB sneaks on short downs!  Ron and Jack better find creative plays to stop Sirianni with those 4th and short plays!

Have they failed on any of those plays yet? It's absolutely ridiculous, the rate of success they have on that play. It seems like the fact that they have a great oline, great center, qb who is incredibly strong, and rbs pushing the qb from behind makes it absolutely unstoppable. Frustrates me.

On 2/13/2023 at 12:01 PM, Warhead36 said:

My guess is they'll no longer allow guys to push players forward in those scrums. Beyond that, Jason Kelce is an expert at moving the ball just slightly up enough that it reduces the amount needed for first downs and Lane Johnson is great at firing off juuust as the ball is snapped so it looks like he's false starting but he's not(kinda like the reverse Demarcus Ware).

I've always felt like that was cheating. RB's pushing the qb forward. I know it's allowed but I don't think it should be. Seems like a lack of integrity when the qb isn't actually accomplishing the goal, but he's basically a box being pushed by a forklift. It gives an unfathomable advantage to the offense. It's incredibly unfair to the defenses. It makes it way too easy for sneaks to be successful.

On 2/13/2023 at 5:17 PM, Number 44 said:

There was a time that pushing your ball carrier from behind was against the rules.  I wonder why they changed it.

I'm shocked that other teams haven't studied the exact way that they do it and mimicked it. They say it's a copycat league and all. It's practically a 100% successful on 3rd or 4th and short.

7 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

I'm shocked that other teams haven't studied the exact way that they do it and mimicked it. They say it's a copycat league and all. It's practically a 100% successful on 3rd or 4th and short.

The way this league is trending, I'm surprised they aren't telling defenses that they can't use multiple tacklers to stop a runner.

• Sad 1

There are other reasons that play should be banned. One is safety. Not for the QB necessarily, but the OL/DL.

If the DL know that is coming their first move is going to be to fire off the ball at the OL’s legs. That leaves the OLs legs susceptible to injury.

If the OL anticipates that, they are going to stay low by likely leading with their helmet for a forward charge. Which leads the head susceptible. 

If the DL knows the OL is going to do that, they may try to leap the pile. Or take on the OL for stalemate and let the LB leap. When you leap over a pile trying to stop momentum you usually lead with your head. 

• Like 3

Everyone seems to be saying that they're going to take that rugby scrummage play out of the game.  Seems like a clear loophole and I think they'll go back to the way it used to be where you can't push the ball carrier from the sides or from behind, and they'll make it a point of emphasis that OLs have to get fully set before they can snap it. 

I have a question about how/why it's legal for Seumalo to have his head turned into the backfield to watch the motion so he can tap Kelce on the hip to snap the ball when the motion is completed.  How is that different from false start movement?  The rule is that any quick or abrupt movement of the player's body is supposed to result in a false start, and to me, that swipe on Kelce's hip is a quick/abrupt movement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/26/2023 at 1:16 PM, FootballZombie said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/3-commanders-pff-top-101-141355797.html

3 Commanders make PFF’s top 101 players of the 2022 NFL season

Sweat at 42

Terry at 87

Curl at 93

Sweat is dangerously close to being the guy we need him to be. He just needs those finishing touches.

Now imagine trading a guy who is close but not there instead of paying them over $20M/year when their contract is up and the return we can get. 

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

I'm not shopping the guy but if someone wants to show up at my door with a 1st he's a ghost.

Yep, I predict both contract and potential trade discussions at the combine. I want him retained on a long term deal but I’ll take a couple of picks from someone if the offer is right. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, dyst said:

Payne has been great for us. I don’t know why we wouldn’t sign him. The cap will go up anyways and who is going to fill his void. 

Lot of compelling reasons to re-sign him, it’s the financials - both Snyder’s cash issues and the sale issue - that get in the way.  Maybe we swing a LTD once (if) the sale is completed… whether late this offseason or next.

Speaking of, in terms of compensation if Payne is traded, although I’d love to add a talented guy or two this year, I can’t say I’d mind gaining picks next year instead, giving us a year to evaluate Howell and then (potentially) having two 1st round picks next year to go after a qb.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Speaking of, in terms of compensation if Payne is traded, although I’d love to add a talented guy or two this year, I can’t say I’d mind gaining picks next year instead, giving us a year to evaluate Howell and then (potentially) having two 1st round picks next year to go after a qb.

I don't think the compensation would be a first round pick.  I read somewhere that it would be a third.

39 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

I don't think the compensation would be a first round pick.  I read somewhere that it would be a third.

The third is the compensatory pick we would get (assuming we don't go out and sign a bunch of high priced free agents ourselves) next year if he walked and signed somewhere else as a free agent. If we tag him (which we have done) and then negotiate a trade the trade is whatever value we get agree to. I think a first round pick is optimistic, but if its less than a 2nd there is not much incentive for us to pull the trigger on a deal. Payne may hold out of course - pretty sure he wants the long term deal, signing bonus and guarantees not the franchise tag.

• Thumb up 1

• 2 weeks later...