Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

29 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

I gather that Jamin has improved since a lackluster rookie year (probably miscast as MLB) and a couple of rough outings at the beginning of this season. Would you say he's a solid starter at this point? Good but not great for a 1st rounder but I'll take it. 

We just need another LB in the draft. 

17 minutes ago, method man said:

Yes. I want to see him make more splash plays in 2023. I think blitzing him more is a way to do that. He picked up his sacks early in the season and he was a good blitzer at Kentucky. Also easier for him to do once Holcomb is back or he gets another competent LB to pair with

I'd say that Davis is an above average Starting LB on just about any team league wide and has not hit close to his ceiling yet. 

In 3 or 4 years, he has the potential to be one of the leagues best.

I'd love to add a pass rushing LBer, but Davis is pretty good at it.

• Like 1

Sorry.  Granted,  from what I saw in the 2022 games, Jamin Davis did improve from being a liability to somewhat of an asset in the modified role Del Rio developed for him.  But impact-wise he's still got lots of room to improve. 

And please take all the glowing stats on Davis with a grain of salt.  After Holcomb went down, Davis benefited from being the "alpha" linebacker, with opponents targeting Mayo and Eifler.

That said, Davis seems to be on a trajectory to become a really high-quality off ball linebacker in the next couple of seasons -- just about the time when Washington has to decide whether to pay FA contact money to retain his services.

Edited by Wyvern

I thought Jamin improved dramatically from his rookie campaign. I don't think he was a liability this year either, but I don't see him as a good player yet. I wanna see a significant uptick in production before he gets there.

For a dude who is living on the field they way he was on the second half of the season, there is no real reason for some of the poor production numbers he presented. I need more than 3 sacks, 1 pass defended no INTs and no FFs. He had a really impactful two game stretch early in the year, but that fizzled quickly and never returned. If I got a LB playing 100% of the D snaps like he is, you need better numbers than that.

I'm fine with his trajectory tho, he showed great improvement and that is all you can really ask for. He does not need to be a star outta the box to be successful. As long as he continues to improve, he will become that plus player.

Pro bowl players asked to name an underrated player on defense in the league

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/pro-bowl-confidential-27-players-pick-mvp-most-underrated-coaches-other-questions

What better way to illustrate someone being underrated than the idea that even the players nominating him aren't sure what his name is. "What's the linebacker for the Jags? Leads the league in tackles?" one asked. Said another: "No. 23 for Jacksonville, led the league in tackles. I can't pronounce his name.

His name is Foye Oluokun, and he did lead the NFL with 184 tackles in the regular season — he leads in the playoffs as well right now with 27, despite the Jaguars being eliminated in the second round. He is one of four players to receive two votes, along with Eagles defensive lineman Javon HargraveSaints linebacker Demario Davis and the Eagles' Reddick. 

players earning votes: 

Kam CurlCommanders safety

Derrick Brown, Panthers defensive lineman

Lavonte David, Bucs linebacker

Dre Greenlaw, 49ers linebacker

Talanoa Hufanga, 49ers safety

Aidan Hutchinson, Lions outside linebacker

Dexter LawrenceGiants defensive lineman

Roquan Smith, Ravens linebacker

Montez Sweat, Commanders defensive end

Broderick Washington, Ravens defensive end

Pete Werner, Saints linebacker

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wyvern said:

Does anyone know if Washington has indicated how (or who?) they plan to fill the vacancy at DBs coach, created after Chris Harris left?

Speculation from our local media is they are promoting from within, either Richard Rogers or Brent Vieselmeyer.   

• Like 1

Obviously not going to happen at this juncture bc at worst he’ll be tagged…but when one of the best defenders in the league and a division rival can recognize a guy’s importance…maybe that should make some fans who don’t want to pay him to re-think their position. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, ultravin said:

Tell you what though, the Defense should be planning on how to stop those BS QB sneaks on short downs!  Ron and Jack better find creative plays to stop Sirianni with those 4th and short plays!

They’ll outlaw that play this offseason imo, if I had to put money on it 

• Thumb up 1

My guess is they'll no longer allow guys to push players forward in those scrums. Beyond that, Jason Kelce is an expert at moving the ball just slightly up enough that it reduces the amount needed for first downs and Lane Johnson is great at firing off juuust as the ball is snapped so it looks like he's false starting but he's not(kinda like the reverse Demarcus Ware).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

My guess is they'll no longer allow guys to push players forward in those scrums. Beyond that, Jason Kelce is an expert at moving the ball just slightly up enough that it reduces the amount needed for first downs and Lane Johnson is great at firing off juuust as the ball is snapped so it looks like he's false starting but he's not(kinda like the reverse Demarcus Ware).

There was a time that pushing your ball carrier from behind was against the rules.  I wonder why they changed it.

• Like 1

Daron Payne, Commanders

They have tried to build a bully by investing heavily in their defensive line, and it would be difficult to let an interior defender this disruptive leave after his rookie deal. Can they afford to give everyone on that line a long-term extension? No. But the days of Daniel Snyder paying everyone are long gone, the payroll is not robust, this is a foundational player, and a $19 million price tag shouldn’t give anyone sticker shock.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/02/14/nfl-franchise-tag-predictions/

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

There has not been a lot of recent talk on pending FA Cole Holcomb. Whats the thoughts here, if there is money for him, do you try bringing him back or move on?

I would. He's cheap and a great team role player. I'd still want to upgrade the starting role though.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2023 at 10:50 AM, ultravin said:

Tell you what though, the Defense should be planning on how to stop those BS QB sneaks on short downs!  Ron and Jack better find creative plays to stop Sirianni with those 4th and short plays!

I heard that the QB sneak plays the Eagles used is going to be reviewed this offseason as to whether or not it's kept in the game. I believe it was Ross Tucker who said it on the radio early this week. He said the Eagles found a loophole and exploited it. Tucker is on local Philly radio every Wednesday.

52 minutes ago, ultravin said:

thoughts on kicking the tires with patrick peterson?  get him on a 2 year deal for 3 mill plus incentives?  he was getting 2 mill per year with the vikings.

He had a good year with the VIkings and will probably end up getting a lot more than that.

3 hours ago, ultravin said:

thoughts on kicking the tires with patrick peterson?  get him on a 2 year deal for 3 mill plus incentives?  he was getting 2 mill per year with the vikings.

DBs will be salivating at opportunity to play in Washington. With that said, completely out on paying veteran DBs any type of significant money. Rather stay young and athletic and build from within. Not at all against getting veteran guys the FO love off of a “down season”. I like to use Darby as an example, sign this type of dude before the market explodes on him. 

• Thumb up 1

On 2/16/2023 at 7:27 AM, DWinzit said:

There has not been a lot of recent talk on pending FA Cole Holcomb. Whats the thoughts here, if there is money for him, do you try bringing him back or move on?

No problem with him back as a primary backup. Don’t want him re-signed as a starter. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2023 at 6:31 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Pro bowl players asked to name an underrated player on defense in the league

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/pro-bowl-confidential-27-players-pick-mvp-most-underrated-coaches-other-questions

What better way to illustrate someone being underrated than the idea that even the players nominating him aren't sure what his name is. "What's the linebacker for the Jags? Leads the league in tackles?" one asked. Said another: "No. 23 for Jacksonville, led the league in tackles. I can't pronounce his name.

His name is Foye Oluokun, and he did lead the NFL with 184 tackles in the regular season — he leads in the playoffs as well right now with 27, despite the Jaguars being eliminated in the second round. He is one of four players to receive two votes, along with Eagles defensive lineman Javon HargraveSaints linebacker Demario Davis and the Eagles' Reddick. 

players earning votes: 

Kam CurlCommanders safety

Derrick Brown, Panthers defensive lineman

Lavonte David, Bucs linebacker

Dre Greenlaw, 49ers linebacker

Talanoa Hufanga, 49ers safety

Aidan Hutchinson, Lions outside linebacker

Dexter LawrenceGiants defensive lineman

Roquan Smith, Ravens linebacker

Montez Sweat, Commanders defensive end

Broderick Washington, Ravens defensive end

Pete Werner, Saints linebacker

LOL. Some of those…you know who voted for who:

Pete Werner - definitely Demario Davis

Sweat - Payne

Curl - Allen

15 hours ago, wit33 said:

DBs will be salivating at opportunity to play in Washington. With that said, completely out on paying veteran DBs any type of significant money. Rather stay young and athletic and build from within. Not at all against getting veteran guys the FO love off of a “down season”. I like to use Darby as an example, sign this type of dude before the market explodes on him. 

Well, Darby will be available on the cheap in FA this year. No way Denver keeps him at his contract

• Like 1