Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Defense nowadays is measured on three and only three things: takeaways, 3rd down %, and red zone %.

If you can force turnovers, get off the field on 3rd downs, and hold teams to FGs instead of TDs, you're coming out ahead. 

By those key points the defense was terrible. The team ignored it, decreased talent/depth, changed nothing, fined the worthless DC, fired DL coach late in camp. Why people aren't screaming for heads to roll is likely because they don't care anymore.

TakeAways  -5 (24th Worst)

3rd Down% (31st at one point the worst in NFL HISTORY)

RedZone % 25th Worst

Jackass Del Rio will get fired. Just another slow, indecisive RR decision. This team can't win with poor defense.

Everyone is so quick to say 'OL doesn't matter because we have the best OL coach', but says nothing about the worst DL coach and bad DC!? :wtf:

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I’m worried about the defense. 

However, I don’t give a rats ass they let Matt I. And Settle go.

I really want to see, when the live games start, if they blitz and bring pressure more than they did last year and more than they did in against the Panthers.  No need to show that now, but one of the things which changed the defense after Young and Sweat went out last year was JDR starting bringing more pressures, and not relying on the front 4 to generate it on their own.

My guess is you see a reversion to that, which would be very good.  Again, no need to do that in the preseason.  

Look, they have spent a lot of money and draft capital on this defense.  Not all if it was Ron, but they have a lot tied up in it.  My guess is this is the “put up or shut up” year for Payne and Sweat, and if they don’t put up, the whole thing might be blown up to start again.  

Too many resources have been put into the defense for it not to be really good, and you can’t keep throwing resources as the unit which is less important in todays NFL.

I'd kinda love to see Jamin Davis play a hybrid/buffalo nickel role against big slots and as an edge blitzer. He'd fit perfect in that role. 

Issue there is we don't have a ILB to pair with Holcomb that is coverage capable at all. 

LOVE Dotson, wouldn't change him for a thing. But it makes you wonder how cool it would be to have Devin Lloyd (who can also do the hybrid thing).

Again, I want to reiterate because I know how a lot of you are :ols:

I'm not saying I wish we took Lloyd over Dotson. We needed a receiver, we took a receiver, and we got ourselves a damned good one. I don't want to take that back. I'm asking in a world where Dotson was off the board hypothetically how fun it would be to have Lloyd. 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I'd kinda love to see Jamin Davis play a hybrid/buffalo nickel role against big slots and as an edge blitzer. He'd fit perfect in that role. 

Issue there is we don't have a ILB to pair with Holcomb that is coverage capable at all. 

LOVE Dotson, wouldn't change him for a thing. But it makes you wonder how cool it would be to have Devin Lloyd (who can also do the hybrid thing).

I'm not saying I wish we took Lloyd over Dotson. We needed a receiver, we took a receiver, and we got ourselves a damned good one. I don't want to take that back. I'm asking in a world where Dotson was off the board hypothetically how fun it would be to have Lloyd. 

What chaps me is seeing guys like Muma and Sandford look really good in the preseason, when resigning Payne, instead of drafting Mathis would have been better use of resources IMO. However, I do like the Mathis pick. You could already see how much of an impact he is going to have.

As far as the defense in a preseason game, when they started to blitz in the second half, they started looking pretty good. I think we'll see more of the second half of last year style out of the gate with blitzing more, especially from the safety position and when opponents start to attack it with quicker plays, we can back that off, disguise short area coverage and let some of our Line guys attack the QB, which they can as long as everyone plays in the system.

• Like 1

The Defense continues to look like garbage and they tell us it is pre-season. 

We are still losing guys at the back end of the defense. We still can't bring consistent pressure on money downs.

I still don't understand why the team doesn't see a need for at least another competent LB next to Holcomb.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

However, I don’t give a rats ass they let Matt I. And Settle go.

I do....ESPECIALLY when they used the excuse that Ion complained about the system he was being asked to play in and then months later they fire the D-line coach citing "philosophical differences". Ion was a warrior for us and Settle can play too. What did we get for either of them? These are draft plcks that we invested in and then just threw them away for basically nothing. I'm just glad neither of them ended up still in the division somewhere to come back and potentially hurt us. I also saw the video someone on this site posted of Settle just wrecking the Colts all pro lineman.....

1 hour ago, WilberMarshall said:

The Defense continues to look like garbage and they tell us it is pre-season. 

We are still losing guys at the back end of the defense. We still can't bring consistent pressure on money downs.

I still don't understand why the team doesn't see a need for at least another competent LB next to Holcomb.

Wouldn't you kill for another Wilbur Marshall? Kind of makes you wonder why we took Mathis in round 2 over a speed linebacker? So we let Ion and Settle go only to use a high draft pick on another interior lineman (who most say was a reach in the 2nd round) and do nothing to address the holes at LB? I'm not saying I know more than our scouts and coaches but I agree with you that it doesn't look very smart right now the way the defense looked vs Carolina. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

16 hours ago, TheShredder said:

By those key points the defense was terrible. The team ignored it, decreased talent/depth, changed nothing, fined the worthless DC, fired DL coach late in camp. Why people aren't screaming for heads to roll is likely because they don't care anymore.

TakeAways  -5 (24th Worst)

3rd Down% (31st at one point the worst in NFL HISTORY)

RedZone % 25th Worst

Jackass Del Rio will get fired. Just another slow, indecisive RR decision. This team can't win with poor defense.

Everyone is so quick to say 'OL doesn't matter because we have the best OL coach', but says nothing about the worst DL coach and bad DC!? :wtf:

I think there’s a couple additional elements to consider.  1) I think the Del Rio/the FO hope/expect to see growth via - some guys (like WJIII/McCain/Wise/Toohill) getting more comfortable in the system and added experience/development for 2nd year guys (Davis/St Juste/Forrest/Toney/WBK), and 2) they knew they were getting Sweat and Young back.  And then of course they added Mathis, Butler and Holmes, along with UDFAs (you always hope one or more pans out on that front, though you shouldn’t bank on it of course).

Not saying all that to dispute your take, just that I can understand their thinking that those things could/should lead to improvement.  Painful to see the state of our backers though.  Here’s hoping Davis especially really comes into his own.

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

day two was just dripping with Linebackers and we didn't even look at them.

The #1 concern I've had all offseason.

So much talk about Wentz, Terry, the offense in general and very little to be said at all about the defense.  A defense we all know is lean at linebacker that leaves the middle of the field open for 4 quarters. 

I saw nothing on Saturday to alleviate those concerns.  Preseason, OTA's, backyard pick up game, don't care  - it appears same old, same old.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

Football is such a team sport that the current linebacking squad has me concerned that it's going to make other units look worse then they are and hold the the defense back overall.  There is just too much field that linebackers are in charge of covering/monitoring/containing that it is hard enough when you don't have at least 2 really good ones, but can this team even claim they have a single linebacker that you'd be confident is starting on any other team with a Top 10 defense?

31 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The #1 concern I've had all offseason.

So much talk about Wentz, Terry, the offense in general and very little to be said at all about the defense.  A defense we all know is lean at linebacker that leaves the middle of the field open for 4 quarters. 

I saw nothing on Saturday to alleviate those concerns.  Preseason, OTA's, backyard pick up game, don't care  - it appears same old, same old.

Yeah, but we really didn't run our base defense at all, so its hard to judge I think.

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We're going to get carved up anytime we're in 3 LB sets. That's pretty much a fact. It'll be imperative to win on 1st down so we can get teams into obvious passing downs as I think we'll be okay in Nickel+.

Didn't we only run 3 LBer sets something like 60 times last year?

• Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

Do you think we should try to get Landon Collins to come back on a reasonable deal? He was extremely good at the Buffalo nickel spot, imo.

4 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I do....ESPECIALLY when they used the excuse that Ion complained about the system he was being asked to play in and then months later they fire the D-line coach citing "philosophical differences". Ion was a warrior for us and Settle can play too. What did we get for either of them? These are draft plcks that we invested in and then just threw them away for basically nothing. I'm just glad neither of them ended up still in the division somewhere to come back and potentially hurt us. I also saw the video someone on this site posted of Settle just wrecking the Colts all pro lineman.....

To be clear, THEY never used the excuse Ion complained about the system.  Ion was ok.  He wasn't great.  He flashed early in his career, then got hurt and never came close to recapturing the form he had.  He was expensive, and under-produced for his salary.

Settle rarely played.

Every team has a Tim Settle and Matt I. 

As an additional point, why in God's name would you bring back the entire DL which has underperformed basically for it's entire existence together?  Matt I. got a contract extension, they have 4 first round picks on the DL, and it still wasn't very good.

You have to change things up that aren't working.  Replacing your 3rd and 4th string DTs is not something which should make or break the team.  

I hope both of them do well in their new spots, but honestly, they probably will continue to be what they were, which is somewhere around average.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Didn't we only run 3 LBer sets something like 60 times last year?

Ok, so add it up...JDR only ran 3 LB'er sets a small percentage of the time, hmmm!

What was the results?! 

Extremely predictable, easy to beat, ineffective scheme. Nickle or this BS Nickle+ garbage doesn't work!

Go watch the tape.

This offense will have to score +30 to win a game. They'll win maybe 5 games that way, maybe a couple more vs inept offenses.

Have to change the whole D-scheme because it doesn't work and they must replace the JAG LB'ers with guys who can cover and an instinctive MLB'er. Holcomb gives up too much yards playing MLB'er like a SS in the box. Just go watch 3rd downs for the last 2 years. It's easy to see. That's why any offense can convert 3rd and whatever vs this BS D

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

We're going to get carved up anytime we're in 3 LB sets. That's pretty much a fact. It'll be imperative to win on 1st down so we can get teams into obvious passing downs as I think we'll be okay in Nickel+.

They're getting carved up in this BS Buffalo Nickle because the scheme is so easily beatable. They have a bad scheme, bad coach, JAG LB'ers, and they are going with what doesn't work once again.

Go take a look at the top defenses in the NFL. They don't play people out of position.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

They're getting carved up in this BS Buffalo Nickle because the scheme is so easily beatable. They have a bad scheme, bad coach, JAG LB'ers, and they are going with what doesn't work once again.

Go take a look at the top defenses in the NFL. They don't play people out of position.

Buffalo plays nickel 90.3% of the time. It’s one of the most adjustable defenses in the NFL. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Do you think we should try to get Landon Collins to come back on a reasonable deal? He was extremely good at the Buffalo nickel spot, imo.

I'm much more interested in seeing what the young guys can do. It seems like we're ok at safety right now with Curl, McCain, Butler, Foster and Reavis and even Parker as a possibility. I'm more interested in seeing what young guys are cut at Lb 

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

To be clear, THEY never used the excuse Ion complained about the system.  Ion was ok.  He wasn't great.  He flashed early in his career, then got hurt and never came close to recapturing the form he had.  He was expensive, and under-produced for his salary.

Settle rarely played.

Every team has a Tim Settle and Matt I. 

As an additional point, why in God's name would you bring back the entire DL which has underperformed basically for it's entire existence together?  Matt I. got a contract extension, they have 4 first round picks on the DL, and it still wasn't very good.

You have to change things up that aren't working.  Replacing your 3rd and 4th string DTs is not something which should make or break the team.  

I hope both of them do well in their new spots, but honestly, they probably will continue to be what they were, which is somewhere around average.  

To be even more clear, go back and look at the article where Ion is released...."Washington Lied To Us" is the headline and he was pissed about his release. Ionaidiss didn't underperform either, he was a great rotational piece to that line. He was more a part of what was working then what wasn't but I don't expect you to agree with that. "Every team has a Tim Settle and a Matt I" ......this statement is beyond comical.