Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

To be even more clear, go back and look at the article where Ion is released...."Washington Lied To Us" is the headline and he was pissed about his release. Ionaidiss didn't underperform either, he was a great rotational piece to that line. He was more a part of what was working then what wasn't but I don't expect you to agree with that. "Every team has a Tim Settle and a Matt I" ......this statement is beyond comical. 

MI's agent was blowing off steam because the team wanted him to take a pay cut and he didn't want to do it.  

He wasn't a great anything.  Nobody on that DL was great except for Jon Allen.  Everybody else was "meh" to "somewhat good sometimes."  

You're desire to cling on to average players because you like them, even though they are just that, average (at best) is intriguing. 

But the fact remains.  The DL hasn't done squat with the current group.  So now, there are some different guys and a different coach.  And maybe that will work better.

Please be clear, however, last year, it DID NOT WORK.  So, if it doesn't work this year, it won't be because we lost Matt/Tim. 

• Like 1

Early observation / frustration point for me has been watching our LBs zone drops. Holcomb has surely developed, for example, bit his eyes are still so late finding the nearest threat in his drops. There's still too much covering grass in the middle of the field; meaning our LBs still haven't learned to consistently identify threats pre-snap. To me it looks like quick passing, TEs working the middle of the field, seam routes, and crossing routes will be our weakness all year... again.

• Sad 1

On 8/14/2022 at 10:22 PM, TheShredder said:

TakeAways  -5 (24th Worst)

3rd Down% (31st at one point the worst in NFL HISTORY)

RedZone % 25th Worst

Fwiw It was under Gruden our 3rd down defense was historically bad, its been really bad lately also, but lets give that historically bad Gruden defense its due. 

10 hours ago, IrepDC said:

Early observation / frustration point for me has been watching our LBs zone drops. Holcomb has surely developed, for example, bit his eyes are still so late finding the nearest threat in his drops. There's still too much covering grass in the middle of the field; meaning our LBs still haven't learned to consistently identify threats pre-snap. To me it looks like quick passing, TEs working the middle of the field, seam routes, and crossing routes will be our weakness all year... again.

They didn't address the position at all in FA or the draft, despite it being a glaring weakness.....so this is to be expected. I gather they think that a better offense will be enough to make up for the defensive mistakes or that Jamin Davis will develop. Either is possible, I guess, but I wouldn't call either likely.

On the bright side, it's somehow comforting to me that they still resemble the Snyder-era Redskins where it counts. The ineptitude on the field is like a soft warm blanket. Who wants the ****in' Commies to win anything, anyway? :P

Edited by SpacePenguin
  • Haha 1

It's just odd that it did work at the end of the year. Second half of our season, we had a very good defense. It should be improved this year.

And love or hate JDR and Ron, but they are serious veterans who have built defenses around outstanding LBers, which makes their lack of any commitment to the position at all so weird.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CobraCommander said:

2022 NFL roster cuts tracker: Running list of team-by-team moves, preseason cuts for all 32 clubs - CBSSports.com

Here's a running list, Not sure how happy I am about picking up other teams scrubs at this point. 

That's what Ron does (especially Carolina). But they shine here (Wes, Lucas, JDM, Thomas, Leno, Turner, McCain, it's a long list)

I just want somebody big and fast 

• Like 1

This defense was quite good the first year, had an absolute meltdown last year and rebounded to play decent to finish the year.

I'd be lying if I said our 3rd down performance Saturday wasn't concerning but I'm not close to being ready to give up on them until I see it carry over into the regular season.

I still have faith in this defensive staff because I remember how God awful our defense was before them for years on end and I've only seen this staff underperform for a quarter of the 2 years they've been here.

5 minutes ago, redskinss said:

This defense was quite good the first year, had an absolute meltdown last year and rebounded to play decent to finish the year.

I'd be lying if I said our 3rd down performance Saturday wasn't concerning but I'm not close to being ready to give up on them until I see it carry over into the regular season.

I still have faith in this defensive staff because I remember how God awful our defense was before them for years on end and I've only seen this staff underperform for a quarter of the 2 years they've been here.

I agree. I have concerns, but I'm not ready to go all Shredder about it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

That's what Ron does (especially Carolina). But they shine here (Wes, Lucas, JDM, Thomas, Leno, Turner, McCain, it's a long list)

I just want somebody big and fast 

Sorry are you saying those players were added after the first round of cuts from other teams? 

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

https://markbullock.substack.com/p/commanders-3rd-down-defense-continues?sd=pf

This is extremely concerning. I know Holcomb knows the plays and I would think that Curl does too. DJ who knows.

Basically, communication is the issue again, which is what sucked last year. 

When bad results repeat themselves, you don't just do the same thing over again and expect anything to change.

They needed a NEW DC and new LB'ers. No changes = same results.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheShredder said:

When bad results repeat themselves, you don't just do the same thing over again and expect anything to change.

They needed a NEW DC and new LB'ers. No changes = same results.

Same defensive coordinator and still bad linebackers 2 years ago and they were ranked 4th overall and 7th in 3rd down percentage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

Same defensive coordinator and still bad linebackers 2 years ago and they were ranked 4th overall and 7th in 3rd down percentage. 

Very true and good point, but they did face a whole lot of bad QB's from what I remember. Last season they faced a murderers row of QB's and didn't fare as well. To your point, we have the easiest schedule in the league this year so we should be back to the 2020 standard on defense.....one would think we'd be even better. 

Seeing that Landon Collins is only 28 years old and nobody wants him must say a lot about his coverage ability....?????

• Like 1